As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFBE] Happy FREE 10+1 pull! Great time to start playing! No more troll 5* units!

El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
edited February 2017 in Games and Technology
u1pkmojvs6e5.jpg

What is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius?
A new-ish mobile game for Android and Apple devices, from the company that brings you all things Final Fantasy, in collaboration with A-lim, who handled the Japanese version of Brave Frontier, and Gumi who handled the global release of said game. The plot revolves around a young knight named Rain, and his personal aide/best friend/mentor named Lasswell, and a girl who lost all memories named Fina. The world's crystals are being shattered by a mysterious enemy, and to help restore their power, you require Espers, and the ability to summon the souls of legendary heroes past known as "Visions".

What is with the name of the game?
It's SquareEnix, responsible for making a trilogy of games called Fabula Nova Crystalis. They're kind of known now for making up fanciful words like Crystarium, and Dissidia Duodecim 012, and 358/2 Days.

I've played Brave Frontier and liked/hated it. How does this compare?
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is an expanded spin on Brave Frontier, with whom it shares some similarities. It's another gacha game, meaning you will earn in-game currency, coming in the form of Friend Points and Lapis, to summon new units on a seemingly unfair spreadsheet of hidden factors that emerge in the form of unique characters, and many familiar to the world of Final Fantasy.

You mentioned Final Fantasy characters? I love Final Fantasy!
FFBE has a wide variety of characters from Final Fantasy, with it's own beefy roster of unique names original to FFBE. Characters from Final Fantasy 1 all the way to 13 and even outliers such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Type-0 are represented. Funny enough, there are no Final Fantasy 7 or 8 characters yet, but expect some to show up in Japan's version, which means at least a 5-6 month wait before we would get them in global. The animation sprites used in this game are gorgeous, by the way.

The roster of characters in game is a mishmash of various Final Fantasy games and Brave Frontier exclusive characters who all have a boring, pointless backstory that is meaningless because let's face it, you're here for your favourite FF character. As previously mentioned, characters are added to the gacha, usually alongside special events that ties in to the game they are from (unless it's just more FFBE exclusives). Unlike other games of this type, the rarity isn't just in the higher rank of the unit, but also the characters themselves. You should ignore the fact that the Exdeath you pulled is 3*, for example, because it's actually really easy to level up units. The fact that you pulled Exdeath is where the rarity comes from, as some of the strongest units in the game have a less than 1% chance of being pulled, and that number only gets smaller as the character pool expands.

Here's a link to a site that will update regularly as the global version gets more characters, and ranks the units by various categories to back up the reasoning for their position in the tier list. https://exviuswiki.com/Unit_Rankings

I'm new, and got a bunch of these characters out of my first 11-pull. Are any of these good? I love Shadow/Sabin/Penelo!

Unfortunately, your Shadow/Sabin/Penelo are some of the worst characters in the game. Yes, they are beloved Final Fantasy characters, but that doesn't exclude them from being King of the Trash Heap. Someone has to be, right? There is a subjective "tier" list of best units, based on role in your team, potential at their role, and overall performance here. Check it frequently as it will update every few weeks as new units are added, and almost always someone will replace the top spot in a given role at any time, with few exceptions.

If you're just starting out and want to know who to look for, below are some of the better units you can expect to see come out of your common blue crystal drop. If you see a prismatic crystal, there's a chance it could contain a 5* base unit, which is very powerful and easily secures a spot on your team at any given time!

3* units to look for: Cecil, Cloud of Darkness, Bartz, Garland, Firion, Exdeath, Kefka, Terra, Vaan, Zidane, Roselia, Faris, Charlotte
4* base units to look for (gold crystal or better): Chizuru, Warrior of Light, Lenna, Garnet, Agrias, Rosa, Amarant, Refia, Snow
5* base units to look for (prismatic crystals only): Lightning, Ramza, Delita, Dark Knight Cecil, Luneth, Gilgamesh
3* base units that if your entire 11-pull is full of, you might want to re-roll: Vivi, Lani, Galuf, Shadow, Penelo, Sabin, Maria, Fran, Clyne, Russell, Bedile, Anzelm, Gilbert, Rakshasa, Medius, Cyan

Helpful Links:

ExviusWiki: Best source for Global version information, with maps for exploration dungeons, quest guides, and unit details.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Reddit: The reddit community for FFBE, containing info and updates for both the Japan and Global versions. Check here if you want to know what kind of stuff we'll get 5-6 months in advance since Japan gets it first. Also contains useful player-submitted guides and pull rate survey info when new Global events come up, so you can determine if it's safe to pull on a banner for a unit you want, and what your expected odds are of getting them. Most of the threads are generally not of much use, however, being whine posts, humblebrags, or speculative "I wish this would happen" commentary.

Friend ID List!:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OV-F9_Qs8M3TbCKi1XHX3BsTbTdr_xmpu9KI6nj11hs/edit?pref=2&pli=1

To find your friend ID in the game, tap Home in the upper right corner (on most screens), then the Menu icon in the upper right, then Player Info on the left. Your ID should look like this in your little character card: 123,456,789. This is also where you change your greeting, and rename your character if you like. Adding friends is the only way to use your "guest character" limit break in combat, and only your current party's Leader is shared to friends. Remember to set a Companion Party from the Options in the Main Menu! This way, you will always have a party set up with a specific character that will be shared to your friends, and you should never ever edit that party except to change the Leader if you want to change who you share.
diirlgg3jje1.gif

PSN: TheArcadeBear
Steam: TheArcadeBear

El Fantastico on

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Quick Glossary of Things:
    Lapis: The name of the in-game world. Conveniently, also the premium currency that you'll be getting from doing missions, daily quests, and most events. This is used largely to summon more premium units on banners, but you can also use it to expand your inventory and friend capacity, which is highly recommended. It is never recommended to use Lapis to unlock additional daily dungeons in the Vortex.
    Friend Points (FP): Used to summon cheapo units. Most of them aren't worth your time, but a select few are worth holding on to as you accumulate your FP so you can fuse them into a Trust Mastery Reward. More info can be found here.
    Trust Mastery Reward (TMR): The reward given for getting a unit's Trust up to 100%. There are a lot of good TMRs that make your life easier or really boost your party's output. That said, TMRs are a luxury, and by no means required to beat the main story content of the game. If you want to get serious about getting TMRs however, you will want to look into setting up an emulator such as Nox or MEmu on your PC and recording a script.
    Arena: PVP. Rules change per week which affect the kind of shenanigans you can do, but you never play against another player live - the CPU controls them, and often makes it easy on you. Your worst case scenario is someone who sandbags you with shown unit like Rain, and you end up fighting against 4 Lightnings and a Cecil. Arena rewards include stat pots to fuse to your units to increase their base stats, up to a cap.
    Colosseum: Structured fights that have 3 ranks of 5 tiers with 5 classes with 10 battles per class. Great source of Lapis and gear early on. The first two ranks can most easily be beaten with a unit sporting Gravija, such as Exdeath. Kefka's Heartless Angel is a renamed Gravija and works just as well. Most bosses are immune to this, but most of them aren't too bad to deal without it until you get into the S-class of the tier.
    Vortex: Daily dungeons are here. When there are no special weekend dungeons, you'll mostly be coming here to use Chamber of Experience or Awakening to strengthen your team. Special events usually show up here tied in to the current rate-up banner featured on the home page. This is where you will be usually end up going to find the Moogle King to trade your event currency in for items. You can also do trial boss fights which reward great gear.

El Fantastico on

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Wednesday night's maintenance also brings us the Thorned Mace trial, and the next event is FFV. Super pleased to have spent all this time and energy maxing CoD and Bartz/Exdeath =)

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Looks like Kefka is going to get benched... Except for PvP where I'll just use both.

Today's daily draw is another CoD. Wonder of there is a use for having more than one. I know the arena teams with two just eat a double cast full-raise on round one.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    What mats do I need to six star both Bartz and Exdeath?

• BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units

ffbe ign: Kas

Not seeing the actual materials needed.

edited November 2016
    Exdeath:
    Calamity Writ (20)
    Calamity Gem (10)
    Prismatic Horn (10)
    Fairies' Writ (5)
    Divine Crystal (5)

Bartz:
    Prismatic Horn (20)
    Fairies' Writ (10)
    Rainbow Bloom (10)
    Calamity Gem (5)
    Divine Crystal (5)

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Oh Bartz, you shining child you. As soon as I finish getting Cecil where he needs to be you'll be getting the star treatment. Is the FFV event more like the one-and-done events? It would be welcome after the Karma grindfest, but I will miss the opportunity to grab 100 Gigantuars.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Looks like Kefka is going to get benched... Except for PvP where I'll just use both.

Today's daily draw is another CoD. Wonder of there is a use for having more than one. I know the arena teams with two just eat a double cast full-raise on round one.

But if you lose while defending it doesn't effect you at all.

Also how would they find out that you're quitting/resetting the game? I find it hard to believe that they are banning people for doing that.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    They have banned people JP side for resetting the Enchanted Maze to get a perfect run. I wouldn't know how they find out, but they did.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Talith wrote: »
    Exdeath:
    Calamity Writ (20)
    Calamity Gem (10)
    Prismatic Horn (10)
    Fairies' Writ (5)
    Divine Crystal (5)

Bartz:
    Prismatic Horn (20)
    Fairies' Writ (10)
    Rainbow Bloom (10)
    Calamity Gem (5)
    Divine Crystal (5)

Awesome, I'm set to upgrade both. Then comes the XP grind.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Obligatory: woo more stage clear lapis bonuses.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    They have banned people JP side for resetting the Enchanted Maze to get a perfect run. I wouldn't know how they find out, but they did.

macros are also banned in JP.

so far I haven't heard or seen anyone in global getting banned for anything.

that includes those that are actually hacking the game with stuff like TM infusions/lapis hacks.

I haven't even finished all of Grandshelt's missions yet. I still have most of the explorations on Lanzelt and I only just started Kolobos Isle.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular

Not seeing the actual materials needed.

Ctrl-F for Bartz or Exdeath, click on unit pages, is near the top.

ffbe ign: Kas
    Ugh, I forgot Mercedes is on the FFV banner (or at least should be). I actually kind of want her for her Enhancements in the future, since she's a decent physical attacker with a nice Axe TM.

Also, Gilgamesh, but then Gilga's base 5 star while Mercedes is at least base 4*.

Characters
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

that includes those that are actually hacking the game with stuff like TM infusions/lapis hacks.

For real? How the fuck do they expect you to get the TMs if you can't macro?

urahonky wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

For real? How the fuck do they expect you to get the TMs if you can't macro?

You sweet summer child.

edited November 2016
    JP's also had more Trust Moogles, Trust Moogles on banners as bonuses (I believe one of them was 10 Trust Moogles of a random kind between 3-5* if you made an 11 pull), free daily pull events, etc. They also get much more lapis.

Aegis on
    Characters
    How much more?

JP's also had more Trust Moogles, Trust Moogles on banners as bonuses (I believe one of them was 10 Trust Moogles of a random kind between 3-5* if you made an 11 pull), free daily pull events, etc. They also get much more lapis.

Isn't this because Japan has a lot of limitations on games like this? Don't they regulate it differently there?

Well the stage quests are double the lapis. And they have daily login bonuses where day 1 and 4 are 100 lapis and day 7 is 500 lapis, resetting each week.

Characters
    Well the stage quests are double the lapis. And they have daily login bonuses where day 1 and 4 are 100 lapis and day 7 is 500 lapis, resetting each week.

God. Damn.

urahonky wrote: »

Isn't this because Japan has a lot of limitations on games like this? Don't they regulate it differently there?

I think the same laws affect their global efforts, too.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Considering that I have Krile (4* level 50ish) and Galuf (3*, low level), do you guys think that the upcoming banner is worth doing an 11 draw with? I'm hoping to have 5000 lapis probably sometime this week (though thanksgiving may put a kibosh on that). I guess what I'm asking is, are Exdeath and Bartz worth really going for 'em?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Yes

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    6*Exdeath is one of the most highly rated units in the JP version, and 6*Bartz is not far behind.

I am pretty happy I have all of the released FFV units so I can actually save up some Lapis for once.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Considering that I have Krile (4* level 50ish) and Galuf (3*, low level), do you guys think that the upcoming banner is worth doing an 11 draw with? I'm hoping to have 5000 lapis probably sometime this week (though thanksgiving may put a kibosh on that). I guess what I'm asking is, are Exdeath and Bartz worth really going for 'em?

Exdeath definitely. He's one of the best mages around. Bartz is a lower end 6* unit, but because he's a 3* base, he should be pretty easy to get. And almost ANY 6* unit is going to be a powerhouse.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    Part 2 of Olderion that we're getting also gives us the +10% ATK recipe. Happy days!

Characters
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hum. if bartz doesnt get duel wield or doublehand, i think ill pass on upgrading him for a while. I really want a duel wield character. Guess Exdeath is next on my upgrade list.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    He doesn't gain those, no. He gains all of his passive stat boosts at 6*, a better Barrage that's Wind element, Crushing Blow except Wind element. And he can kill himself to Elixir another person. Which is amusing if you have Refia since you can just bring him back to life to kill him again.

Characters
    I wish there was an actual reason to want doublehand or weapon + shield instead of dual wield. GL could theoretically see balance to make them more competitive, considering they already balanced it so they don't stack, but then again that means expecting Gumi to find an unpaid intern that cares enough to attempt such a balance patch.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    I want Doublehand...because I don't have another Zidane at the moment and Bartz was pretty far along so I might as well slap it on my 2nd tier physical attacker for the time being.

Characters
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Finally beat Maxwell on a fight that included summoning Diabolos, so I'm leveling her up in Miranda Coast exploration using just her and a friend Kefka.

When Maxwell gets limit, that thing just spews LB crystals in mass quantities. Like, she's filling up her and Kefka's LB meters to full every round, I don't even need to worry about selecting Thundara. It's just LB round after LB round.

Her freaking revive passive heal doesn't work D: Way to go Gumi.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    Going to be very tempting to pull big on the FFV banner. Bartz and Exdeath are great, and Gilgamesh is one of my favorite FF characters.

I also need to hurry up and finish Karma farming, so I can get back to this project:

y50rgo42za1f.png

You'll be all set when the Malboros come.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Finally beat Maxwell on a fight that included summoning Diabolos, so I'm leveling her up in Miranda Coast exploration using just her and a friend Kefka.

When Maxwell gets limit, that thing just spews LB crystals in mass quantities. Like, she's filling up her and Kefka's LB meters to full every round, I don't even need to worry about selecting Thundara. It's just LB round after LB round.

Someone posted an Arena run where the opposing team had Agrias, Maxwell, and Lightning. Turns 4 through 10 were as follows:

Endless + Stasis Sword + Army of One

They could only heal, when their team wasn't Stopped.

Characters
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I feel like your opponent in Arena generates LB at a faster rate than players.

This discussion has been closed.