As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to catalogue your comics... AKA my OCD exercise

Terminal RabbitTerminal Rabbit Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Graphic Violence
Anyone have any recommendations for cataloging comics? I know there are a couple software apps out there but I wouldn't mind an web based app either.

Only requirement that I have is that its free... cause I am cheap. Thanks.

Terminal Rabbit on

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I suppose google spreadsheets is out?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm on OS X, so for trades I use Delicious Library

I don't have any software for singles, though. I'd love a good app for that.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why do you catalogue trades?

I just look over at my shelf.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I was hoping to find an app that would add prices to everything and maybe a social networking component.

Terminal Rabbit on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Why do you catalogue trades?

I just look over at my shelf.

It lets me check books as "borrowed by". and it made it easier for me to put up what I had in the santrons thread

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I was hoping to find an app that would add prices to everything and maybe a social networking component.

i don't think that type of thing really exists

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Servo wrote: »

i don't think that type of thing really exists

Delicious Library checks the Amazon prices for trades

but yeah I don't know of anything that could check singles prices

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    don't forget the social networking component, keith

don't you dare

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    isn't that what this forum is

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    are you asking me out, keith?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    :oops:

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Whats wrong with social networking? I want to lord my superior comic book collection over others, that why I have it right?

edit: Ok a quick google search shows at least 4 or 5 apps that will do pricing for singles, d/ling ComicBase right now... I report back

Terminal Rabbit on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Eh, I've yet to see a good program that will do everything I want it to. Comic Collector Live is alright, but it relies too much on the community to update the master DB, so new or obscure books get no love. It's also tedious to use. The deal breaker for me was that it has no pull list management.

Anyway, I just use a somewhat complex and cobbled together spreadsheet to keep track of what I own, what I intend to buy within the coming months, and my direct subscriptions.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When I'm at a comic convention hitting the discount bins, I'll always see guys with big thick binders with a big breakdown of everything they have or need, but they always annoy me as they take up multiple boxes with their list. I've always just used a simple Word document with lists broken down by publisher and alphabetical, and a list of all issues I own for each title. I use the smallest font I can read without difficulty, and am able to keep it down to 4 pages currently. Its always worked well for me, as long as I keep it updated and remember to bring the most recent printout when I'm shopping.

Visskar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    hm this is interesting. i'm not a great programmer by any means. but just curious, i'm into comics as well but i'm nowhere near having a massive collection. i know some things have been mentioned, what overall program would you guys be interested and what features would you like?

theparttime on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For me, a program with a pull list manager and a collection manager would be awesome. The way it works now, I can plan my weekly pull list for the next three months by checking out the previews and getting release dates from the publishers. If there were a way to do this with a GUI rather than a lot of typing and copy+paste, that'd be great. It'd be even better if the program would download the Diamond weekly release list and update the pull lists accordingly.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I gave up working with spread sheets and made a nice checklist in AutoCAD.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    For me, a program with a pull list manager and a collection manager would be awesome. The way it works now, I can plan my weekly pull list for the next three months by checking out the previews and getting release dates from the publishers. If there were a way to do this with a GUI rather than a lot of typing and copy+paste, that'd be great. It'd be even better if the program would download the Diamond weekly release list and update the pull lists accordingly.

also if it worked in OS X

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Comic Collector Live works for me. Their eventual plan is to add a buying/selling feature, I believe.
    EDIT: Fuck that, it doesn't have any of my old stuff. I'm going to download ComicBase.
    EDIT2: Nope, not that either. I don't feel like adding each issue in my collection individually, and I have complete runs of a couple series.

Me Too! on