As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Counting down: Type-Zero days until this [Final Fantasy] thread is obsolete!

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Nope. It's not even confirmed yet. At this point Tabata has just said a PC version is under consideration. Everybody assumes that because they've been putting the old games on steam that means their plan is to really commit to PC. But IMO it's really just to get more sales after the fact. Call it the GTAV treatment. They get all their sales on PS4/Xbox, and then maybe a year plus later they drop it on PC and get another round of sales from the PC mustard race crowd.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oh yea. ED! is like the perfect candidate of turning around about the game (gameplay wise) based on the new demo when compared to the old ones.

But I was mostly just interested about the use of the word dull. Like most FF games you have 1 attack animation for regular attacks. That is the same 1 you use the entire game for every single time you use attack. So comparatively how can having multiple combos with variances for ground and air and multiple weapons that each have their own sets of combos be dull?

I don't find either particularly dull mind you. I'm just not seeing how it's a word that can be used if you are into other FF games.

I'm basing my limited opinion on JRPGs in general tho, not really on FF specifically. The only combat type I really thought was neat and interesting in FF was in 12. The rest was either dull or serviceable or "interesting but clunky".

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Oh yea. ED! is like the perfect candidate of turning around about the game (gameplay wise) based on the new demo when compared to the old ones.

But I was mostly just interested about the use of the word dull. Like most FF games you have 1 attack animation for regular attacks. That is the same 1 you use the entire game for every single time you use attack. So comparatively how can having multiple combos with variances for ground and air and multiple weapons that each have their own sets of combos be dull?

I don't find either particularly dull mind you. I'm just not seeing how it's a word that can be used if you are into other FF games.

I'm basing my limited opinion on JRPGs in general tho, not really on FF specifically. The only combat type I really thought was neat and interesting in FF was in 12. The rest was either dull or serviceable or "interesting but clunky".

Huh, do you like FF games in general?

That's why I was confused about Viskods comment.

Because if one didn't particular like FF games and also thought the new one didn't look interesting I'm not sure what kind of conversation they are interested in with an FF thread.

Because if one didn't particular like FF games and also thought the new one didn't look interesting I'm not sure what kind of conversation they are interested in with an FF thread.

I like all the stuff to do in them and character growth and skill building. I do not care for the story at all and the combat just serves as a means to the end for the rest of the game but that's true with pretty much any game I play; I am not a combat junkie in any way.

I like setting up my combat abilities and what not but the actual implementation could probably be completely automated as far as I care.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I said it before, FFXV's combat looks to me like a nice evolution from Xenoblade Chronicles X, which until now was the best open world JRPG combat imo.

Not really the best comparison, as Xenoblade adheres closer to MMO-type combat, where positioning is a bit more loose and forgiving and abilities are typically qeued up in a menu.

The FFVII Remake actually seems closer to that style of combat, based on the footage shown. FFXV is this unique combination of realtime combat seen in Kingdom Hearts or Dragon's Dogma while also focusing on positioning and follow-up attacks.

It's probably the most innovative thing about that game, and I hope the game offers up lots of encounters that force players to learn all the different kinds of styles.

In the battle against the Dragoon Lady, they briefly showed off aerial combat, including this really awesome looking (albeit likely scripted) clash of blades while Noctis used his warp strike to attack her while airborne.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My brother hit me with a $50 Amazon gift card for my birthday, so that made the decision pretty easy. FFXV preordered!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I like all the stuff to do in them and character growth and skill building. I do not care for the story at all and the combat just serves as a means to the end for the rest of the game but that's true with pretty much any game I play; I am not a combat junkie in any way.

I like setting up my combat abilities and what not but the actual implementation could probably be completely automated as far as I care.

Very interesting.

Thanks for the response!

A good reminder that people can be coming at a game from an incredibly different viewpoint. Always good to keep that in mind when discussing the merits of one game over another.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If FFXV has more exciting combat than (still engrossing) menu combat, I think it will be great.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    My brother hit me with a $50 Amazon gift card for my birthday, so that made the decision pretty easy. FFXV preordered!

he hit you?!?!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That's how birthdays work right? You throw your gift at the recipient, and if they get knocked out, you get to keep it instead.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    if that was true we'd wrap them in cinder blocks, not paper

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Has the thread been informed that FFT for Android/iOS is $4 this week? If so then I apologize.

Joshmvii wrote: »
    I said it before, FFXV's combat looks to me like a nice evolution from Xenoblade Chronicles X, which until now was the best open world JRPG combat imo.

Not really the best comparison, as Xenoblade adheres closer to MMO-type combat, where positioning is a bit more loose and forgiving and abilities are typically qeued up in a menu.

The FFVII Remake actually seems closer to that style of combat, based on the footage shown. FFXV is this unique combination of realtime combat seen in Kingdom Hearts or Dragon's Dogma while also focusing on positioning and follow-up attacks.

It's probably the most innovative thing about that game, and I hope the game offers up lots of encounters that force players to learn all the different kinds of styles.

In the battle against the Dragoon Lady, they briefly showed off aerial combat, including this really awesome looking (albeit likely scripted) clash of blades while Noctis used his warp strike to attack her while airborne.

It still looks and feels like an evolution of that game for me. Open world, monsters chilling. Attack them and use positional combat to get bonuses. Holding down your attack button is the same as just auto attacking in Xenoblade, etc.

FFXV just has more wrinkles added to it which have me excited. I think it even has an analogue to that game's toppling, where you combine the right stuff to stagger enemies and what not.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    If FFXV has more exciting combat than (still engrossing) menu combat, I think it will be great.

I think the only time I went into a menu was to swap in a weapon or magic bottle. I don't think I actually went into the Item Menu once in game. ATB is 100% out of this game. Like the combat system has nothing to do with ANY of the previous titles; really the closest is FFXII but even that had ATB in it. This is a game where combat is meant to be present I think - for you and for the gameplay.

Honestly, it's a combat system that I think needs to be played with first before settling into an opinion on it; videos don't really do justice to the frenetic system going on. Is there going to be a bit of the grind on lowbie characters? Sure. They've all had that. However this game is going to live on the massive mob-hunts and boss fights, all of which so far have looked insane.

I'm probably going to RedBox a copy before Amazon delivers mine, and that might be the way to go for someone on the fence (it's confirmed to be coming to the box and you can toss it on your waitlist to get an email when it's immediately available).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Has the thread been informed that FFT for Android/iOS is $4 this week? If so then I apologize.

I don’t think we're allowed to talk about FF games that are not WoFF or XV in here...

For realz tho, does the Android version have the graphics overhaul that the iOS version got? Have heard good things about both the controls and the graphics, if I recall correctly. Don't have room to install to verify atm.

camo_sig2.png
    DaringDirk wrote: »

I don’t think we're allowed to talk about FF games that are not WoFF or XV in here...

For realz tho, does the Android version have the graphics overhaul that the iOS version got? Have heard good things about both the controls and the graphics, if I recall correctly. Don't have room to install to verify atm.

They are technically the definitive versions of FFT, since they eliminate the slowdown found in the PSP version while retaining the superior translation and added FMV.

Would be great if they brought it to Steam like everything else, but who knows if/when that'll happen.

I do still hope that the wait mode or whatever works well for those that prefer a less real time combat system. I will definitely be digging on the real time stuff, but I guess I just hope they can deliver a game that can satisfy most, if not everybody.

From the video I've seen, wait mode seems more for combat precision, than a turn based alternative. For boss fights or might be necessity, but I imagine for just running around the real time will be where it's at. It's good that can be tossed on and off on the fly though.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

I think the only time I went into a menu was to swap in a weapon or magic bottle. I don't think I actually went into the Item Menu once in game. ATB is 100% out of this game. Like the combat system has nothing to do with ANY of the previous titles; really the closest is FFXII but even that had ATB in it. This is a game where combat is meant to be present I think - for you and for the gameplay.

Honestly, it's a combat system that I think needs to be played with first before settling into an opinion on it; videos don't really do justice to the frenetic system going on. Is there going to be a bit of the grind on lowbie characters? Sure. They've all had that. However this game is going to live on the massive mob-hunts and boss fights, all of which so far have looked insane.

I'm probably going to RedBox a copy before Amazon delivers mine, and that might be the way to go for someone on the fence (it's confirmed to be coming to the box and you can toss it on your waitlist to get an email when it's immediately available).

I just mean that FFVII held my attention for 40+ hours and half of that gameplay was spent selecting "attack" over and over. :P

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    From the video I've seen, wait mode seems more for combat precision, than a turn based alternative. For boss fights or might be necessity, but I imagine for just running around the real time will be where it's at. It's good that can be tossed on and off on the fly though.

If nothing else, it seems like a good way to slow down and look at things like enemy resistances and mess with your weapon setup. I feel like very few of the big fights I've seen involve people doing that, and I suspect that's part of why people seem to think bosses have too much HP.

I legit went to sleep last night with this theme in my head.

Man, I hope the online co-op mode holds up. I like the concept of them adding more and more super bosses for people to team up and take down, especially if they continue to pull from past FF games.

I just hope they make them fun challenges instead of just turning them into bullet sponges ("here's the same boss from the singleplayer, only with five times more HP").

• EvilpolarbearEvilpolarbear Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    A King's Tale('s soundtrack) is free to download from Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/final-fantasy-XV?sf43097627=1&utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=deeplink&cid=afl_10000087&affID=77777&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-2cS1OukkMVGiBZHhYaSSwA

Cool I guess. Rather curious how that game turns out. Not expecting much out of it, but who knows.

I'm loving Cave of Nostal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIGX16gbYjc

Evilpolarbear on
  • CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular

Thank you for this. I had been waiting for it to go on sale.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Comparing the combat in an action rpg to a 2d turn based rpg?

I'm comparing, FF15s combat to Kingdom Hearts, which is right over there, made by the same company, and has stylish and fun combat.

The combat in 15 looks dull and boring.

edited November 2016
    15's combat engine is nothing like Kingdom Hearts beyond them both being action RPGs. As for dull and boring, I don't think 15's combat will be those things, but I can understand where you're coming from. What I've seen has enough depth for the early game, which is all we've seen. I will need more tricks to pull than we've seen as the game goes on, but I think they'll be there.

Joshmvii on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    KH II Final Mix's combat was so good. So many options.

Viskod wrote: »
    Comparing the combat in an action rpg to a 2d turn based rpg?

I'm comparing, FF15s combat to Kingdom Hearts, which is right over there, made by the same company, and has stylish and fun combat.

The combat in 15 looks dull and boring.

Huh well ok in that case, what are you perceiving as the difference that is making FFXV dull but KH not? I do greatly enjoy KH combat but it's not particularly deep or anything. You repeat the same few combos in that plenty. There are less reactive options in the KH combat. I think I'm actually even more confused now!

Help me understand! What are the specific issues?

I find 15s combat dull, and boring. That is the issue. It is boring, it is dull.

The combat of Kingdom Hearts, especially 2 and BBS is not dull or boring.

I mean opinions, but I legit just can't see someone looking at some of the high-end hunts and boss fights, the mix of weapon styles, companion abilities (that are not fixed throughout the game) and magic-creation system and find the combat anything other than at least "mildly engaging. . ." I mean this shit looks terrible and fucking mind numbing and I can't believe they thought this was going to sell ANYONE on this game. This however. . .pure gold (Lvl 10 J-Pop Boy Band versus Lvl "Fuck You" Enemy from Judgement Demo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_deEcxb5v4&feature=youtu.be&t=1m30s

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

No, that's fine. I wanted to buy FFT for the Xth time. So, thank you.

I find 15s combat dull, and boring. That is the issue. It is boring, it is dull.

The combat of Kingdom Hearts, especially 2 and BBS is not dull or boring.

ooookkkkk

No interest in conversation?

Why even post about this stuff then?

I mean opinions, but I legit just can't see someone looking at some of the high-end hunts and boss fights, the mix of weapon styles, companion abilities (that are not fixed throughout the game) and magic-creation system and find the combat anything other than at least "mildly engaging. . ." I mean this shit looks terrible and fucking mind numbing and I can't believe they thought this was going to sell ANYONE on this game. This however. . .pure gold (Lvl 10 J-Pop Boy Band versus Lvl "Fuck You" Enemy from Judgement Demo):

That video is mind numbing in its boringness. That looks horrible. If only for the god awful camera if nothing else.

That's dull combat.

Why can't Noctis have combos attacks with the other party members?

Why are there not any flashy context sensitive attacks based on your location around the boss, parrying its attacks, or attacking a weak point?

Why is the only thing Noctis can do is teleport away and back?

Why can't each weapon have multiple special attacks?

That combat is seriously lacking in flash and style. It looks, boring.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Think we're looking at a fundamental disagreement on this one.

Between you guys, that is. I've seen about 5 unique minutes of FFXV footage in total, and thus am not qualified to opine about its combat.

Enlong on
    edited November 2016

That video is mind numbing in its boringness. That looks horrible. If only for the god awful camera if nothing else.

That's dull combat.

Why are there not any flashy context sensitive attacks based on your location around the boss, parrying its attacks, or attacking a weak point?

That combat is seriously lacking in flash and style. It looks, boring.

He can perform attacks with other members.

There are location based attacks with bonuses, there is blocking, parrying AND counter attacking with a context sensitive commands.

Each weapon has a whole host of different combos and special attacks.

Factually Noctis can do a lot more than just teleport away and back. (I'm throwing this one at the end because I don't fully understand what you mean, there's obviously a lot more going on than that there)

DemonStacey on
    edited November 2016
    Well why haven't they released any videos of any of that?

Viskod on
    edited November 2016

That's dull combat.

I don't know about each weapon type having special attacks (they certainly have specialized combos), but everything else you say is missing is most definitely in the game. And the Blink Strike (or whatever it's called) is the main way Noctis moves about the battle field (while looking cool). A frenetic game like this, they obviously realized they'd need a way for their main character to get around the battlefield easier. However team attacks, enemy weak/targetable/breakable spots and specialized weapon combos are most definitely in the game.

From my hands on with the game the combat is more than the surface that it would appear from run of the mill gameplay videos; there's a level of engagement that just doesn't come across here (despite me thinking there's enough beautiful chaos in that video for me to be sold on the game). I mean, there are several combat videos (including videos by the developer) that showcase combat more fluidly, but I mean if the above isn't doing it, it's unlikely the game is for you I suppose.
    Well why haven't they released any videos of any of that?

They have. I mean this is if you only want an official video (I haven't watched any of this with the audio on so no idea about spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFia3ZEpZJk&t=434s

ED! on
    So team combos are a thing? Like you initiate one command that has some or all party members then perform a flashy combo together?

Is there any video of that?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Watching a lvl 10 group try to cheese a lvl 38 boss probably isn't the best way to show off the combat. I still think it looks fun though.

Renzo on
    edited November 2016
    So team combos are a thing? Like you initiate one command that has some or all party members then perform a flashy combo together?

Is there any video of that?

It's in the video. Most happen automatically when you position yourself correctly around an enemy or parry link with a party member. The Tech abilities are also in the same vein.

If you're asking for Disgaea level of team-attack ridiculousness. . .no. This isn't that kind of game (though I think Prompto using the spear Noctis is wielding to perform a swing-kick attack is pretty flashy).
    Renzo wrote: »
    Watching a lvl 10 group try to cheese a lvl 38 boss probably isn't the best way to show of the combat. I still think it looks fun though.

Probably not; it was the only one I could find that has content accessible within the first couple of hours. There is a LENGTHY Polygon video that no doubt has a decent amount of combat in it, but it covers way too much that I'm not trying to have spoiled for myself.

ED! on
This discussion has been closed.