As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Advice: To Keep a Car or to Get Rid of It

DoctorArchDoctorArch CurmudgeonRegistered User regular
So I'm moving, and because it's a big move I am going to be shipping both of our cars. However, there are costs for the older of the two cars that are making me consider whether or not its worth keeping & shipping it versus selling it and getting a different car upon arrival. So please help me to optimize the best solution.

Facts to feed into the optimizer:
  • We need two cars. We can make do with one for a short time, but the ideal and preferred situation is to have two cars.
  • The car is a 2005 Subaru Outback with 120,000 miles.
  • We fully own the car and make no payments on the car.
  • The car is in good condition, but due to the general age of the car it will need approximately $4,000 in repairs within the next few months (120K tuneup, head gasket replacement, machine shopping the heads, etc.)
  • The car will cost between 1150 and 1250 to ship.
  • As a result, the cost to keep the car will run around $5250.

So, that $5,250 figure is big enough to give me pause. Sure the car is owned completely, and once we pay $5250 it may not need repairs again for three years, which means that calculates out to about $145 per month over those three years. But that's a big "may not."

What are your thoughts?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    One other thing to consider.

If I were to go and lease a 2017 Subaru Outback for 3 years, the total cost over those three years would be about $9,000, which runs about $250 a month.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    That number for the 2005 Subaru is like two thousand over what KBB just spit out for a value. Obviously I was wildly estimating things but it doesn't seem unreasonable you could buy a car that would run well enough for 3 years for 5,250. I definitely have in the past.

Also, does this mean you got news?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    That number for the 2005 Subaru is like two thousand over what KBB just spit out for a value. Obviously I was wildly estimating things but it doesn't seem unreasonable you could buy a car that would run well enough for 3 years for 5,250. I definitely have in the past.

Also, does this mean you got news?

Yes I did, new job get!!!

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Factoring in the extra money from just selling the car I can't see how it would work out to not just buy a new one. 5250 plus an easy extra 2-3 grand from just selling the thing seems like it would make a hell of a down payment on a brand new car if nothing else. If you have some sentimental attachment that is different, but from a numbers perspective it just doesn't make any sense to me to ship the thing.

Also congrats!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, sell it. You're heading into the "replace fucking everything" part of the cars life, and it's not like it's a special or unique car (even if it has meaning to you).
    Also consider that for 100 and change a month, you will get something that is 12 years newer and has a near zero chance of breaking down. I love Subarus, but they've come a LONG way since 2005.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Do the head gaskets actually need replacing? And what do you mean by "machine shopping the heads"? Who recommended that?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    it definitely sounds to me like you should sell it; your repairs+shipping (assuming they're roughly correct) plus proceeds from sale put you at almost your cost to lease new anyway, and that's absent future repairs (cars don't get less expensive as they age)

and there might be more economical options than leasing a new current-year vehicle

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Do the head gaskets actually need replacing? And what do you mean by "machine shopping the heads"? Who recommended that?

Yeah I am curieus. Do you really need to get a new engine? Because that might be cheaper than machining the heads.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah I am curieus. Do you really need to get a new engine? Because that might be cheaper than machining the heads.

The original repair estimate told me that the head gasket was leaking, and there was probably a 50/50 chance the cylinder heads would need a trip to the machine shop after inspection during the head gasket replacement. I'm getting a second estimate on Tuesday, but that will either confirm that selling the car is the best bet, or reduce the overall figure enough to make the question even more annoying.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you've lost a headgasket, that's a big dollar repair job for sure. It'll be really hard to get any money trying to sell a car with a busted headgasket though. You might be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

Crack checking, cleaning, and a likely resurfacing of cylinder heads is pretty common. When you're going that deep into a labor operation, you don't want to get the car back together and find out a warped or cracked head is still preventing it from sealing.

Still going to echo everyone else's recommendation. I think I'd sell the car (even if it's a $1000 mechanic special, it's better than nothing), and use the savings on the repair/transportation cost to find a reliable second vehicle in your new home.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Do the head gaskets actually need replacing?
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Subaru

Yes

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I know it sucks getting rid of a paid off car. But there is also a benefit for removing uncertainty and anxiety. Knowing your car is just going to work is often worth the premium paid to buy or lease new.

And congrats.

• Options
    Hey all, final update to this.

The second opinion turned out well. About 1400 for all needed repairs/tune-ups and the second shop didn't believe there was any pressing situation with the head gasket that required replacement. As long as keep checking my oil to make sure it hasn't given out, it's fine until it does which could be years from now.

So grand total to keep the car ended up being $2700 (1400 to repair / 1300 to ship), which is almost 1/2 of the original figure. As a result, the math favors "keep" for now.

Thanks for all of your help everybody. @Ceres please lock the thread.

This discussion has been closed.