As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Counting down: Type-Zero days until this [Final Fantasy] thread is obsolete!

1939495969799»

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

It makes me wonder if the world design of ffxv takes some inspiration from xenoblade chronicles x. It's very similar looking.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Viskod wrote: »
    So team combos are a thing? Like you initiate one command that has some or all party members then perform a flashy combo together?

Is there any video of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySk3DJ_WSQQ

Here's some basic stuff.

Remember again this is all just from demos without a lot of stuff unlocked.

This also shows some context sensitive stuff with parries and counters. Just one example of many.

DemonStacey on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

It makes me wonder if the world design of ffxv takes some inspiration from xenoblade chronicles x. It's very similar looking.

I can't believe these chodes with an early copy of the game haven't released a screenshot of the actual in-game map. It's like they've never seen a leak before. We had maps of FO4 within hours of people getting their heads on it in South America. Amateurs.
    So team combos are a thing? Like you initiate one command that has some or all party members then perform a flashy combo together?

Is there any video of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySk3DJ_WSQQ

Here's some basic stuff.

Remember again this is all just from demos without a lot of stuff unlocked.

This also shows some context sensitive stuff with parries and counters. Just one example of many.

That combo at the end of Mark. . .didn't even know you could do that (I figured out you can actually move during their Tech Attacks).

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I can't believe these chodes with an early copy of the game haven't released a screenshot of the actual in-game map. It's like they've never seen a leak before. We had maps of FO4 within hours of people getting their heads on it in South America. Amateurs.

It's out there.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Speaking of leaks, IGN is having a livestream of the game in half an hour, and I advise you avoid it or remember to disable the live chat.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Oh man, people are posting enough that we might hit 100 pages before next week. I guess I have to revise my OP, the one I wrote for next Tuesday won't work if I have to post it today.

silence1186 on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Quick, some equip the Page Limit Break skill.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Let me tell you why Terra x Celes should be the canon pairing.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well, at least they're in there. Even if they're just as dull looking as the rest of the melee combat.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Is there a buzzkill mute function?

Is there a buzzkill mute function?

There is an ignore list if you're actually asking. It's in your profile settings.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Well, at least they're in there. Even if they're just as dull looking as the rest of the melee combat.

Yea, I just don't think this is your game honestly. I mean this isn't a Platinum game, you're not going to get these more than over the top (just over the top) team attacks that it sounds like you're looking for (and I wonder when have they ever been in a Final Fantasy game).

IGN Stream: So I guess that huge snake they just fought wasn't a mobhunt, but just a random dude they found out in the environment. And the use of the Blink Strike to combo attacks on the boss was something else. I hadn't even thought of that, given that the demo really didn't have an enemy of that size where you could pull something off like that (striking the enemy from multiple body parts to chain a phase attack together for massive damage).

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    1. Locke is a jerk

2. Locke is seriously a jerk

3. Terra's whole "I don't know what love is" makes more sense if she's perceiving love as between a man and woman. This is why she was able to grasp other forms of love, like that of a mother and child (the orphans)

4. They share a more narratively appropriate bond (both raised as children as magical weapons of war)

5. Celes acts as a knight protector to the more gentle and pacifist Terra, and that's super adorbs. <3

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So, I've been avoiding looking at anything related to FFXV for a long time cause it seemed like it would never come out. Now that we are a week away, I need a quick simple answer.

Any info already about if i should be looking at XboxOne or PS4? I have both, so I'm just curious if there have been any rumors about obvious problems on one or the other.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »
    So, I've been avoiding looking at anything related to FFXV for a long time cause it seemed like it would never come out. Now that we are a week away, I need a quick simple answer.

Any info already about if i should be looking at XboxOne or PS4? I have both, so I'm just curious if there have been any rumors about obvious problems on one or the other.

It sounds like they really came a long way with the XB1, but the PS4 is still going to outperform it visually and otherwise.

That goes double if you have a PS4 Pro.

ED! wrote: »

Yea, I just don't think this is your game honestly. I mean this isn't a Platinum game, you're not going to get these more than over the top (just over the top) team attacks that it sounds like you're looking for (and I wonder when have they ever been in a Final Fantasy game).

Even the KH games he referenced the main character is just dashing around and repeating a set combo over and over. So yea... not really much more to say on that topic.

azith28 wrote: »

The XB1 version seems to be fine but the PS4 is just a more powerful system so where both are an option it's the clear choice.

Team attacks was just one thing, Noctis doesn't seem to have any special attacks of his own outside of his signature teleporting. With any of the weapons.

It's just in dire need of some flash and style.

The combat system seems perfectly serviceable which would be where I draw the line.

If anything would push me to dislike the game it would be the horrible story elements I've seen, but I haven't seen everything so hopefully it's not as awful all the way through.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Team attacks was just one thing, Noctis doesn't seem to have any special attacks of his own outside of his signature teleporting. With any of the weapons.

The combat system seems perfectly serviceable which would be where I draw the line.

If anything would push me to dislike the game it would be the horrible story elements I've seen, but I haven't seen everything so hopefully it's not as awful all the way through.

Honestly it seems like you are just going out of your way to not like the game. Which is fine, but the points you keep trying to make don't really mesh up with the information that's currently available from a more objective standpoint.

You are welcome to just not like the game from what you've seen, but hopefully that helps explain why other people viewing the same information seem to be confused about what the hell you seem to be talking about.

The 'flash and style' is there in spades, but seems to not be the 'flash and style' you want it to be. Noctis does have his own unique special moves, there are team attacks, etc etc, but just not how you want them to be.

Then once people pointed these out, you say it's serviceable, but now you have problems with the story.

Which again, is perfectly fine, I would just say don't bother with the game since I really doubt you're going to find a way to like it.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

If you want to venture into the minefield of YouTube, there's at least one guy who has been putting out videos that breakdown the movesets and combos of each weapon type. They're quite robust in terms of how you can vary combos for different effects.

Each of the Royal Arms has it's own signature attack. Plus you have the Armiger for the bigger crazy attack.

But I guess if you're looking for like longer animation style special attacks in the melee combat yea that isn't going to work with a combat system like this.

Do you think games like Dark Souls have dull combat because the moves have more simple animations? That might help this make more sense.

So just because I think the combat needs some more flash and pizazz and I think some of the story elements I've seen are pretty awful I'm going out of my way to dislike the game?

I didn't even know I disliked the game yet at all.

And yes, I love Dark Souls. But this isn't Dark Souls.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Alright, next OP is amended to reflect the new timeline. Bring on page 100!

So just because I think the combat needs some more flash and pizazz and I think some of the story elements I've seen are pretty awful I'm going out of my way to dislike the game?

I didn't even know I disliked the game yet at all.

And yes, I love Dark Souls. But this isn't Dark Souls.

But that didn't answer my question. Do you think Souls combat is dull because it's not flashy?

Why does this game require this very specific standard of flashiness well and above other things that you do not require for other games?

Also Delph broke down exactly why people may be thinking that you are going out of your way to dislike the game. The things you are saying are very hard to make sense of and from one post to the next things don't quite add up. There's plenty of people who've talked about not being interested in the game where there is not nearly this level of trouble in understanding.

This discussion has been closed.