As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pricing advice for an older computer?

PriestPriest Registered User regular
So thanks to PC Build Thread, I built a new computer this month. Looking through my closet of old computer parts, I realized I had enough to build a functional system, reducing my backstock of parts and reducing the cost of my new system. Wondering if you all feel this is an appropriate price for selling an older computer?

Tower Cost: $520 (2011 Retail: $1810.00)
Monitor Cost: $80 (2012 Retail: $170.00)

Breakdown Below:
Component  -      Name                        -  Resale  -  Retail
------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU         - i7-950                          - $ 70.00   $ 300.00
                 4-Core, 8 Threads, 3.06 GHz
                 Overclocking Capable
CPU Cooler  - Corsair H70 Water Cooler        - $ 35.00   $ 110.00
Motherboard - Asus P6X58D-E                   - $ 65.00   $ 240.00
                 2 x USB 3.0, 6 x USB 2.0
                 6 x SATA 6GB/s, RAID
                 3 x PCIe16, 1 x PCIe1, 2xPCI
Memory      - 12GB DDR3 1600 MHz (6x2GB)      - $ 40.00   $ 300.00
Sound Card  - Creative X-Fi Titanium          - $ 30.00   $ 100.00
GFX         - EVGA 660 Ti 2GB                 - $ 90.00   $ 310.00
                 Overclocking Capable
Hard Drive  - 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint          - $ 40.00   $  70.00
PSU         - Seasonic 750W                   - $ 45.00   $ 180.00
                 80+ Gold Certified
Optical     - Asus DRW-24                     - $ 10.00   $  20.00
                 CD  R/W/RW 24x
                 DVD R/W/RW 8x
OS          - Windows 10 Pro                  - $ 50.00   $ 130.00
Case        - NZXT Source 210                 - $ 45.00   $  50.00    
                                               --------
                                            Sub:$520.00   $1810.00
                                               --------
With Monitor                                    $ 80.00   $ 170.00
                                               --------
                                          Total:$600.00   $1980.00
                                               --------

Priest on

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    In my experience enthusiast PC hardware has almost no resale value.

At the end of the day I can get a Dell XPS on sale and throw a decent GPU (like a 1050 or even 1060) into it for like $600 or $700. Or less.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    That setup might be good for buying some goodwill from a family member who wants a low-budget gaming machine for a child who wants to play League of Legends and Overwatch, but I doubt you would get any appreciable amount of money for it.

Dhalphir on
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    That setup might be good for buying some goodwill from a family member who wants a low-budget gaming machine for a child who wants to play League of Legends and Overwatch, but I doubt you would get any appreciable amount of money for it.

It's hard when you realize the computer you spent $1500 on a couple years ago has depreciated into nothing, but yeah that's how it goes. Like a GTX 660? I'm not sure I could give one away. And when I told a buddy I was having CPU bottlenecking on BF1 he just straight up gave me his old AMD mobo/CPU/RAM.

I'm at the point where old rigs either get sold to a broke friend for a hundred or two so they can play some new game with me (on low settings) or they just get repurposed. One is a Plex server. Another functioned as a "guest PC" for LAN parties and game nights.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, I hate to say it, but older PC hardware is generally worthless from a resell standpoint. the i7 950 is from the 2009 ish timeline, so we're talking 7 years old. You're not going to sell that for anything of value. the 660 Ti is also of little value when you can spend $100ish on a new GPU that will out perform it.

I would say that if there's someone you can give that to, as stated above for a younger family member as a first computer or something like that, or even maybe consider donating to a charity or non profit. But you won't be selling it for anything appreciable.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    660ti is reasonable for a mid level GPU, $250 at least to push past it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    660ti is reasonable for a mid level GPU, $250 at least to push past it

Yeah if I were selling that tower I'd probably go $200 or $250. I mean the case, psu, and Windows license (?) have value.

• PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Been a busy couple of weeks, actually sorta forgot I had made this post after about a week with not a peep.

Anywho, it lasted about a day on Craigslist, sold the tower by itself for $500, the Monitor to another person for $60. Lots of College students in my area who need computers quick when they break an old one.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    that seems like a good exchange for everyone involved

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me