As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    This is really frustrating.
    Every zone says that I've 100% completed them, but WW says I'm at 99% and missing 2 relics.
    Oh ffs apparently they're in Syria and you absolutely cannot get back there once you leave >.>

Wait! I was wrong, and just hadn't scrolled down far enough! - You can go back to Syria

E: 100% completion of main game!

There's a bunch more stuff in the baba yaga dlc, but I don't have that so w/e

Psykoma on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla I just got a waypoint right next to that survival cache. I was teleported there after a bunch of story stuff after the cathedral/archives area.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Thanks!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Man, Lara needs a lot of skins to upgrade these guns. Deer genocide is the only option. On that note my tips for new players:

1. Get both the upgrades for the crafting materials bag early.
    2. Shoot every deer, wolf, and rabbit you see.

Hey sorry to rez this, but has anyone tried the Baba Yaga DLC?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey sorry to rez this, but has anyone tried the Baba Yaga DLC?

Yeah
    It was... short? and disappointing for a couple of other reasons
    I'll try to keep it vague here
    it turns out to be entirely mundane stuff masquerading as the supernatural, which was weird because this series features explicitly supernatural stuff, and I would have liked to see Lara go up against and kill the actual Baba Yaga

It has some nice combat encounters but spends too much time in the existing areas of the game and doesn't add much

You get a neat bow and outfit as a reward, so it's better to play this at some point during the main game, and not after you've completed the campaign

Ah I've 100%ed the game so I'll probably skip it, thanks!

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Aw, when I was I playing the game yesterday, there was a 'Happy Birthday, Lara Croft' message. I'm glad I caught that.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So this ice hole combat encounter can go jump

The swimming mechanic made me quite upset for most of the game.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    What! That encounter was awesome!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I caved and bought this on Friday. I forgot how much I love this take on Lara. I adore her character model. She looks amazing in dialogue scenes.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

This is easily the best combat encounter in the game

Stealth killed everyone

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

This is easily the best combat encounter in the game

Stealth killed everyone

Yeah, see, I thought it was meant to be a stealth section too. And I tried to play it like one.

But almost every soldier seemed to know where I was at all times.

And the few times that I somehow managed a stealth kill, literally everyone in the area was instantly alerted to my presence and mowed me down during the kill animation.

It was an incredibly jarring change in difficulty from the rest of the game.

the ice hole encounter is very fun on normal

It's a fucking unplayable mess on any harder difficulty, because the enemies all know exactly what hole you are coming out of at all times.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    That's my biggest problem with the game, actually. Once you break stealth, every enemy knows where you are always. You can never get back in to stealth. It doesn't matter if you go into some bushes around a corner and there is nobody within 1 mile of you. They know where you are.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Oh good, I've been waiting a while for this!

Super excited for this, and nice that I'll have another VR thing to dick around with at launch

Uncharted 4 was great and all, but yeah

This is better

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Picked it up for PS4 yesterday

Not very far

Died a lot to falls in the first little area

Very pretty

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    so I don't have the link handy but someone scoped an open laptop of what seemed to be an Eidos Montreal employee on the train up there, and the (working) title for the next game might be Shadow of the Tomb Raider

which is a really cool title

I wonder if they'll finally bring her gf back.

Not liking all these QTEs in the early game

I thought we agreed to leave those in the last gen

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    so I don't have the link handy but someone scoped an open laptop of what seemed to be an Eidos Montreal employee on the train up there, and the (working) title for the next game might be Shadow of the Tomb Raider

which is a really cool title

Crystal Dynamics not working on it kinda makes me feel weird though

But shit, they've had it for over a decade, maybe it's time to switch again

Baba Yaga DLC was fun

I kind of hate that full exploration is gated behind story progress though.

I'm playing this again, and oh my god do I absolutely hate the underwater fight with the red smoke filled room and the several openings in the ice.

Psykoma wrote: »
    I'm playing this again, and oh my god do I absolutely hate the underwater fight with the red smoke filled room and the several openings in the ice.

I don't understand

LxX6eco.jpg
    edited November 2016
    I don't really like the final fights of Rise as much as the 2013 game. It's still enjoyable, but just didn't have the same weight I thought.

The rest was pretty great. Love that they expanded the bow's arsenal so that I can do everything with it.

I also looked up some lore and was surprised by some of it.
    Matthias, big bad from the 2013 game, crashed on Yamatai 10 years before Lara was even born.
    In the first game, Lara is like, 21 years old.
    And I'm still annoyed as to how they fridged sam.

Psykoma on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    That's not what fridging is because Sam is not dead and Lara is not a male character

6F32U1X.png
    Lara's the main character, and cared about Sam more than anyone else we've seen in the rebooted series, and there's more than enough basis for them to have been/be in a relationship.
    Sam's not dead, but she was held in a mental asylum and her body escaped while being controlled by Himiko.
    Yeah I'd say fridging applies.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Fridging literally only means killing off a female character with no actual traits who only ever existed to motivate a male character

6F32U1X.png
    I disagree that that's the limit of the definition.

then the term is basically pointless?

thats so far from the original definition that you're basically saying any time a female character is introduced and does not continue to be a part of the story forever they were fridged

that's not what that word is for

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Sam is just a different kind of poorly written.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

thats so far from the original definition that you're basically saying any time a female character is introduced and does not continue to be a part of the story forever they were fridged

OR it means the character was protected from lethal harm in a manner so implausible it shatters suspension of disbelief :P

cdci44qazyo3.gif

OR it means the character was protected from lethal harm in a manner so implausible it shatters suspension of disbelief :P

no that's "nuking the fridge"!

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

no that's "nuking the fridge"!

I'm gonna say Indiana Jones was fridged and you can't stop me

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Sam wasn't "fridged"

She's been "put on a bus"

Completely different hack writer trick

Basically when they're sick of writing a character or can't figure out what to do with them they write the character "is on a bus" or "moved to Omaha" or "is in a loony bin forever".

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I played through TR2013 a couple weeks ago

man this game has some stupid physics / writing / plot

You have some stupid physics/writing/plot