As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Also to be clear we aren't saying it's not bad writing

But the term fridging exists to help point out how insanely common this one very bad trope is, and when you wrap a bunch of other stuff in to that it doesn't work to point that out

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Also to be clear we aren't saying it's not bad writing

But the term fridging exists to help point out how insanely common this one very bad trope is, and when you wrap a bunch of other stuff in to that it doesn't work to point that out

Yes, I want to be very clear about this

You will never hear me defend the writing in the last two Tomb Raider games even a little bit

6F32U1X.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I just read up on Sam's character and uh what

(post TR2013 comic spoilers?)
    She escaped from the facility and is fully under the control of the evil queen and has murdered some people and is currently at large

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I just read up on Sam's character and uh what

(post TR2013 comic spoilers?)
    She escaped from the facility and is fully under the control of the evil queen and has murdered some people and is currently at large
    Nothing like making the entire ending of the game completely pointless, eh?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's uh

that's a super lame turn for that character to take
    I think the idea of "hey you're still kind of influenced by the evil queen/part of her is in you" is kind of neat but then they just go "WELP SHE'S EVIL NOW"

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah that's uh

I think the idea of "hey you're still kind of influenced by the evil queen/part of her is in you" is kind of neat but then they just go "WELP SHE'S EVIL NOW"
    Residual effects from having been possessed are a great hook for future stories (that will probably never be told). This is saying "yeah actually fuck the end of the game you actually failed anyway life is futile."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's uh

Residual effects from having been possessed are a great hook for future stories (that will probably never be told). This is saying "yeah actually fuck the end of the game you actually failed anyway life is futile."

Arby's roast beef and cheddars, only $2.99.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Fridging literally only means killing off a female character with no actual traits who only ever existed to motivate a male character

I think it's a little broader than that. It's killing a female character solely to motivate a male character in some way. The person who bites it can be a full and developed character, but that just makes it worse, since then you're wasting a good character for the same role as a cardboard standee.

Also, Arby's can be pretty decent eating.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I'm replaying Rise now and it is a good game

I think I might actually 100% it this time, since I found the one thing that I didn't and couldn't find before

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Arby's is one of my favorite places to eat

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I wish the story was a bit better, tho

I wonder if they are ever going to have something along the lines of "globe trotting adventure with support from your friends" or if the current Tomb Raider Brand is a bit too tied to Lara being alone and having to survive in harsh environments

The Sam stuff is dumb as hell (even without the even dumber stuff from the comics) but you can see why they would have to do something like that if the stories they wanted to tell were all about Lara being alone etc.

I just really hope they do get past it

Legend is still my favorite version of Lara and her adventures as they're presented to the player, in terms of tone

If they could do that with the gameplay of the new series, good lord

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I think I've played Legends three or four times

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Legend is still my favorite version of Lara and her adventures as they're presented to the player, in terms of tone

If they could do that with the gameplay of the new series, good lord

Yeah, Legends has a really fun story and a lot of environment variety.

As much as I've enjoyed the reboot series, the writing has not been nearly good enough to carry the more serious and dour tone they're going for (especially in Rise); and both games have had you stuck in one location for basically the entire time.

Also Legends has way more respect for its cast of supporting characters than Rise seems to.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    knitdan wrote: »
    You have some stupid physics/writing/plot

boat

Brolo on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ah, the old Münchausen manouvre.

She's just really strong!

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I fail to see the problem

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am rezzing the thread. I have just started playing the 20th Anniversary Edition on PS4. It seems like her dad raised her to complete his work. Creepy. I am enjoying the optional mini tombs.

Pretty much all the incarnations of Tomb Raider where Lara’s background centers around her father has a creepy vibe to it, because it’s very much grooming her to follow in his (very dangerous) footsteps

Just another reason Legend is the best incarnation, because it’s centered around Lara’s mother and a genuine traumatic incident

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    hey this new jam is out soon isn't it? I guess it looks pretty sweet

edited September 2018
    It is

One week after Spider-Man

Which is a few days after DQXI

So I’m not gonna get to Tomb Raider for...a while

UnbreakableVow on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It is

One week after Spider-Man

Which is a few days after DQXI

So I’m not gonna get to Tomb Raider for...a while

One week after Spiderman and Dragon Quest. Two weeks before Assassin's Creed Odyssey. One month before Red Dead Redemption 2.

Not great timing for Tomb Raider.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    We are going into the fall and winter. It is the time of year when a bunch of great games come out at once.

AC: Odyssey interests me because they are acting like the mythology is real.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm probably not going to get to Tomb Raider until after Christmas, but it amuses me to see all the releases that ducked RDR into January next year. I can see it doing reasonably on XBone though, what with the lack of spiders over there.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited September 2018
    Optional Tomb Question
    How did the cistern tomb have tanks of gas in it?
    I guess someone explored it before and they forgot they left their stuff down there.

Krathoon on
    The funny part about Tomb Raider is that Laura never cares about preserving the tomb.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    If you cared about preserving the tombs you'd never find one of five parts for a weapon you've never used.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's called Tomb Raider, not Tomb Preserver.

Alternative play mode: Archeologist - Carefully document every tomb and take a few samples without disturbing anything. Also kill everyone anyway - they might step onto a really important artefact.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I went to a kind of like

pre-class for taking an archeology trip, you know, digging little square holes and stuff

I was in there for about ten seconds before the professor said "Archeology is nothing like Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider." and several of us stood up and walked out

no ancient traps? no sale

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Why even bother digging through old stuff if the threat of unleashing an ancient curse isn't there?

edited September 2018
    I wondered where the Baba Yaga DLC was at. Checked on the web.

Krathoon on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That Polygon review makes it sound kinda fucking bonkers

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I went to a kind of like

pre-class for taking an archeology trip, you know, digging little square holes and stuff

I was in there for about ten seconds before the professor said "Archeology is nothing like Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider." and several of us stood up and walked out

You really don't need to take a class for that kind of thing, book a trip to Chichen Itza and just start kicking shit over, hit a wall with a pickaxe, you never know

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    https://youtu.be/xyO8ngSx9Eg

This Laura is ok with killing.

Hobnail wrote: »
    I went to a kind of like

You really don't need to take a class for that kind of thing, book a trip to Chichen Itza and just start kicking shit over, hit a wall with a pickaxe, you never know

The funny thing is that someone probably owns the land she is plundering.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I'm watching giant bombs quick look and that sting up guys rope tying animation is baaaaaaddddd.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and I have to say...I didn’t really like it very much. The story was not great. Most of the characters were not great. And I didn’t much like the geography. I think the first reboot one was better.

Well, onto Shadow.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar