As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Steam] Thread didn't win any Steam Awards :(

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Jesus christ DOOM is 71gigs?

RIP my broadband speed

I'm pretty sure it was 52 for me on release and I was pissed off about that. Hah.

Battlerite is on sale for $15 (25% off). You should buy it.
    It is top down action with WASD move and mouse aim. There are 9 abilities per hero (18 currently, there 15 two months ago).
    You play best of 5 rounds. Each hero has a kind of talent tree (5 tiers, you pick one of the 3 options going down each round).

It is basically Bloodlines champions, made by the same group of devsexcept I'm under the impression doesn't suffer from the business model of its predecessor.
    It also actually has Australian servers.

It also just feels really good to play.

stimtokolos on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Mobas: not even once.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    But no unlocks! No run away leveling or feeding that disadvantages you in the next round!

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I never want to buy anything in this sale because the winter sale is a month away and usually better

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Bloodlines/Battlerite isn't a moba, at least not by the modern definition of the term.

It's basically WoW arena if everything was a skillshot, healing had limits and things had some semblance of balance.

Inquisitor wrote: »

Bloodlines/Battlerite isn't a moba, at least not by the modern definition of the term.

It's basically WoW arena if everything was a skillshot, healing had limits and things had some semblance of balance.

gateway drug

by march you'll be snorting crushed up dota hats in the back alleyways of beijing

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

So you would say it's an arena, in which you do battle? online? with multiple players?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

el_vicio wrote: »

So you would say it's an arena, in which you do battle? online?

Yeah I love Counter Strike.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I mean it sounds like any of the hundreds of various "hero battle" WC3 maps that DotA style games were part of. Just because it doesn't have creeps and bases doesn't mean it's not in the same area.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I mean it sounds like any of the hundreds of various "hero battle" WC3 maps that DotA style games were part of. Just because it doesn't have creeps and bases doesn't mean it's not in the same area.

That's why I said modern definition. WC3 is 14 years old at this point. Battlerite doesn't have: lanes, creeps, towers, bases, mid match leveling, mid match gold acquisition, mid match item purchases, doesn't use mouse movement, doesn't have 5 people per side and probably some other differences I am forgetting.

It has characters with abilities but that's kind of like saying "its a game made in the last 2 years."

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I only started hearing the term moba when those style of games differed enough from DotA that the term DotA-like wasn't really applicable any more. Really, the term fits perfectly unless you have it in your mind that moba means explicitly a dota style game. Remember how Roguelike originally was used for games that played like Rogue, now it means games that make heavy use of random generation and permadeath?

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Ok, I feel like giving original Fallout another go. Any tips on building my character? I prefer cunning/diplomatic/sneaky playstyles, but I don't want to screw myself over by building a fast-talking weakling who dies if a rat sneezes near me.

Also do male or female characters play any differently? And are there any good optional traits?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ok, I feel like giving original Fallout another go. Any tips on building my character? I prefer cunning/diplomatic/sneaky playstyles, by I don't want to screw myself over by building a fast-talking weakling who dies if a rat sneezes near me.

Also do male or female characters play any differently? And are there any good optional traits?

I always took Bloody Mess because I liked being able to shoot someone with a peashooter or punch them barehanded and them turning into a fountain of gore.

JtgVX0H.png
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Ok, I feel like giving original Fallout another go. Any tips on building my character? I prefer cunning/diplomatic/sneaky playstyles, but I don't want to screw myself over by building a fast-talking weakling who dies if a rat sneezes near me.

Sneaky talky is super useful I'd say take high ago just so you have more Ap but you can talk your way through the game and reverse pickpocket dynamite on to the people who tell you to shut up

You'll still want to pack a shotgun but you shouldn't need to put too many points into small arms to make it useful

I can't remember about traits/perks off the top of my head but if you pick low int or charisma your character is a literal idiot and can't talk to people much if at all

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Rock bottom charisma and intelligence with maxed out luck and jinx and bloody mess is fucking amazing

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

I just started it up again as well!

I'm playing as GORGARK, SMASHER OF HU-MONS, though

You should be sure to take a high Int for the dialog choices, and basically everyone should have 10 Agility. You need a charisma that is above 5, but beyond that it's not super useful unless you really want to roleplay a sex addict.

Good Natured is an obvious pick, and Gifted is good for everyone.

You're gonna tag Sneak and Speech obviously, the third one is kind of a toss up between Small Guns and any other thing you want to focus in. Lockpick comes in real handy.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    TSW only having collector's editions of all their fucking dlcs.

lol

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

lol

Don't buy it through Steam.

Buy it here and you'll get all of the currently released story DLC for $20.99, since it's on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday/whatever.

Once you own the regular versions of the Issue, you can buy the Collector's Edition for the price difference in the in-game store, if you really want them.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

lol

Buy it here and you'll get all of the currently released story DLC for $20.99, since it's on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday/whatever.

Once you own the regular versions of the Issue, you can buy the Collector's Edition for the price difference in the in-game store, if you really want them.
    I already own everything except issue 12, 13 and 14.

And trying to buy those... lol.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular

You can always do what I did as a kid when I was originally playing it: use a hex editor/trainer to edit your save to give you max stats so you don't have to worry about choosing between the two.

I do believe that there are different dialogs and opportunities based on your character's gender.

zkHcp.jpg
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    My nominations:
    Test of Time: TES V: Skyrim
    I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye: The Witcher 3
    Just 5 More Minutes: Cities: Skylines
    Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!: The Stanley Parable
    Villain Most In Need Of A Hug: Portal 2
    Game Within A Game: Final Fantasy VIII (Triple Triad will always have a place in my heart)
    I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award: Karate Master 2: Knock Down Blow
    Best Use Of A Farm Animal: Stardew Valley
    Game in Desperate Need of a Sequel: Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Kreutz on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Started up Dungeons 2 from the latest hubbabubba. That's pretty good, seems to be a good not-Dungeon-Keeper. The writing is pretty good, but, as it is the case way too often, it could do without all the shitty references to popculture (LotR, GoT, etc)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The mouse is incredibly laggy when I try to play Fallout. This may scupper my plans before I even start because it's pretty annoying and I am definitely not playing a whole game like this.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    My custom nomination was Warframe for "Least Resented Skinner Box".

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    My custom nomination was Warframe for "Least Resented Skinner Box".

It's a known skinner box with a dash of stockholm syndrome thrown in

JtgVX0H.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    A skinner box, stockholm syndrome, and four hundred and ten billion dead cyborg space nazis.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

lol

I already own everything except issue 12, 13 and 14.

And trying to buy those... lol.

Buying the Complete Edition for $20.99 would still be cheaper than buying the issues individually in-game.

Well, actually, everything is 30% off in the store. Issues are normally 1200 points a pop, so the sale price on all 3 of them in-game would be... 2520 points. It's $10 USD for 1200 points so it comes out to $21 in-game for the 3 issues as well, but you'd still have to spend more than $21 to get the points into your game account. Which I mean... if there's other stuff you wanted to buy, go ahead?

Or just don't.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm about...like 2 or 3 hours into PoE? I'm liking it so far, as someone who never really played any CRPGs.

Combat is a little clunky but the writing is top notch.

I'm in the abandoned keep right now looking for the master dude, I'm assuming
    the keep is what I get my Stronghold from?

I'm a sword and board fighterman because I like to keep it simple

CYpGAPn.png
    pretty solid class, the only thing against it is you get an npc one that is pretty much the same thing. you could swap him to a two hander I guess, or maybe not use him but that is madness because he is #1 bro

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    pretty solid class, the only thing against it is you get an npc one that is pretty much the same thing. you could swap him to a two hander I guess, or maybe not use him but that is madness because he is #1 bro
    Is this...oh god I forget his name

the dude hanging out outside of The Hangin' Tree in Gilded Vale? Cause yeah I gave him a big ole sword and kept him on my team cause I like his character a bunch

CYpGAPn.png
    eder, widely acknowledged as best bro

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I tried a raid in TSW, and basically immediately remembered that I don't like raids at all!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I only started hearing the term moba when those style of games differed enough from DotA that the term DotA-like wasn't really applicable any more. Really, the term fits perfectly unless you have it in your mind that moba means explicitly a dota style game. Remember how Roguelike originally was used for games that played like Rogue, now it means games that make heavy use of random generation and permadeath?

IIRC, the term MOBA was basically invented by the League guys so they wouldn't have to refer to DOTA in their marketing.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm very stupid and am constantly very tempted to get Witcher 3 GOTY

Even though I have it on PS4 and it's perfectly fine

But it's not 60 fps...

6F32U1X.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I think the term "moba" originated with developers who were making dota clones and wanted a more generic genre label to catch on, one that didn't automatically insert the name of their competition into the minds of anyone talking about their game by virtue of the label literally being the name of their competition that they copied. It's psychology. Like how first person shooters were "doom clones" for quite a while before "first person shooters" caught on as a more generic label.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I was replaying PoE recently and kept expecting Eder to pull out a six shooter and declare the time.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I think the term "moba" originated with developers who were making dota clones and wanted a more generic genre label to catch on, one that didn't automatically insert the name of their competition into the minds of anyone talking about their game by virtue of the label literally being the name of their competition that they copied. It's psychology. Like how first person shooters were "doom clones" for quite a while before "first person shooters" caught on as a more generic label.

everything is just a remake of pong anyway

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Having played and seen a fair bit of both Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, I feel confident in saying that Obsidian are really bad at coming up with cool proper nouns

They need to get whatever genius works at Bungie over for a consulting session because Kyros and Eder and The Disfavored are some seriously unmemorable nonsense-ass fantasy names. That's some Kingdoms of Amalur type shit

Nothing on the scope of WARMIND or COVENANT

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Be afraid, hero. You now face TURGID ERECTUS, grand JELQMASTER of the MANGLECOCKS.

This discussion has been closed.