As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Straightzi is the Settings Whisperer in the [Tabletop Thread]

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Please tell me someone here has played this

I have

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't really care much for CAH anymore but I do enjoy their dumb shit.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I don't really care much for CAH anymore but I do enjoy their dumb shit.

CAH is much better played over the internet where you don't have to worry about seeing the other players disgust and disappointment in you in person.

And by "you" I mean "I" and/or "Me" as grammatically appropriate.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nah. CAH is best played with people you explicitly know are not dicks.

Then you don't need to deal with any bullshit.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I finally buckled down and bought my own copy of the D&D Player's Handbook after borrowing the DM's

Boy, is it nice to have a copy in my hands

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Also when you heavily curate the card list

IKknkhU.gif
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    CAH is easily ruined by playing with that guy who decides that rape or the holocaust are punchlines in and of themselves, and will go to that well repeatedly over and over while making that eel-face at everyone like get it, rape?! and it's like chad nobody is laughing dude

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I finally buckled down and bought my own copy of the D&D Player's Handbook after borrowing the DM's

You are one step closer to slaying your DM and taking their power for your own.

DO IT! STRIKE THEM DOWN!

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

DO IT! STRIKE THEM DOWN!

Does this get more or less difficult if I'm also the GM in a Dungeon World game they're playing in

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

DO IT! STRIKE THEM DOWN!

Does this get more or less difficult if I'm also the GM in a Dungeon World game they're playing in

I want to say it's like the Quickening, but instead of a cool lightning effect you just have a loud, dry, cheeto fart.

In either case, it's definitely easier if you're already awoken to your own power first.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    CAH is easily ruined by playing with that guy who decides that rape or the holocaust are punchlines in and of themselves, and will go to that well repeatedly over and over while making that eel-face at everyone like get it, rape?! and it's like chad nobody is laughing dude

Like, to be fair, CAH is designed to deliver that kind of "humor."

Which is why I'd rather just play just about anything else.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Also when you heavily curate the card list

Oh whenever we play we ask if anyone wants to pull any cards first. We have already pulled a bunch out of our deck.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah, I found I appreciate the more odd-ball, whimsical CAH answers way more, which means Apples To Apples is pretty much a strictly superior game for me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I prefer games like Snake Oil and Funemployment to both of those. They ask more of the players but the result is a lot more creative and usually funnier.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Generating a dungeon randomly by hand has such a satisfying feel, I feel like it lets you generate the story of the dungeon as you go as well. It's been my go to activity lately for the past couple weeks, now I just need an excuse to use them...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    admanb wrote: »
    I prefer games like Snake Oil and Funemployment to both of those. They ask more of the players but the result is a lot more creative and usually funnier.

Those games require the players to mould the humor out of the parts they are given, whereas CAH is basically "insert punchline A into joke B"

DarkPrimus on
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Yeah, I found I appreciate the more odd-ball, whimsical CAH answers way more, which means Apples To Apples is pretty much a strictly superior game for me.

If Cards against humanity was more goose and windmill full of corpses and less holocaust it would be a fantastic game

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The fact that there os a jew expansion pack you can buy is.....concerning

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    In some form of fairness, there's a Jewish expansion for Apples to Apples as well

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The presence of Anne Frank in Apples to Apples is an oblique tie between the two games

really the best system is getting a bunch of Apples to Apples blank cards and writing the better CAH cards on them

VRXwDW7.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think part of the reason I've always preferred Apples to Apples is because of the way I've always played it. When my group of friends plays, we do a very open judging, where you lay things out and explain why you like them and stuff as you go through the judging process. This allows people to object and interrupt, defending their own cards (or other people's) if they want to. So any more complicated jokes that could get lost will still turn up.

I've played with other people who don't go through the cards and just go like, "Oh, this is the best one" and that isn't nearly as much fun.

Straightzi wrote: »
    I think part of the reason I've always preferred Apples to Apples is because of the way I've always played it. When my group of friends plays, we do a very open judging, where you lay things out and explain why you like them and stuff as you go through the judging process. This allows people to object and interrupt, defending their own cards (or other people's) if they want to. So any more complicated jokes that could get lost will still turn up.

I've played with other people who don't go through the cards and just go like, "Oh, this is the best one" and that isn't nearly as much fun.

So what you want is Snake Oil or Funemployed, where it's part of the rules that players utilize their cards as part of improv in order to defend their choices as the best choices.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    What is even the point of Apples to Apples/CAH if you don't read all the entries out in silly voices.

I mean, what is even the point of them to begin with, but still.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

Yeah this.

edited November 2016
    Playing Funemployed where the job is "Butcher" and the girlfriend is laying cards down like "Vegetarian" and "Faints at sight of blood" and she finishes her pitch with "And that's why I think I'd be perfect for the job!" and lays down her final play, "Poor Judgement"

You're hired!

DarkPrimus on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    I wasn't sold on Funemployed until I played it with @Moriveth and @Janson. The nature of the game makes really pushes people toward play-acting, which is great for a party game.

edited November 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

So what you want is Snake Oil or Funemployed, where it's part of the rules that players utilize their cards as part of improv in order to defend their choices as the best choices.

I mean, no, what I want is Apples to Apples, because my roommate owns damn near every set.

Edit: to be less snarky about it, Apples to Apples is an exceptionally easy game that everyone knows how to play at this point. If I wanted to be playing a different board game that had more going on, I would be, but A2A is very specifically for those times that I don't want to have to teach everyone how to play for half an hour.

Straightzi on
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I mean, no, what I want is Apples to Apples, because my roommate owns damn near every set.

Edit: to be less snarky about it, Apples to Apples is an exceptionally easy game that everyone knows how to play at this point. If I wanted to be playing a different board game that had more going on, I would be, but A2A is very specifically for those times that I don't want to have to teach everyone how to play for half an hour.

Snake Oil and Funemployed are party games with very little in the terms of rules, just like A2A and CAH. That's why everyone is talking about how they're better than A2A or CAH.

This isn't a case where we're like "Oh boy I sure love playing Love Letter with friends" and then someone is like "but Twilight Imperium is so much better".

Twilight Imperium is fun but campaign for north africa is so much better.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Twilight Imperium is great, but checkers is better

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

Just with my vague lurking and posting in tabletop threads...I can't even tell if you are kidding based on...you.

edited November 2016

Just with my vague lurking and posting in tabletop threads...I can't even tell if you are kidding based on...you.

Hahaha that's fair, actually. I do like some crunchy games. But that's a bridge too far even for me. That said if someone was like, hey, I know all the rules for this and I'm going to run it over the course of a convention and I somehow could take a month off from life... I'd give it a try.

But it's hard enough to get Twilight Imperium to the table with any consistency. :(

Inquisitor on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Twilight Imperium is not fun

Twilight Imperium is brutal and friendship testing conquest and I fucking love it

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I like Twilight Imperium and I really need to play another game of it

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So.

Guys.

My brother and I were talking about Dwarven Defenders when a most glorious idea popped into my head.

What if you manufactured a 5x5 cart with mithril casters (to prevent anything from damaging them) with a dwarven-make suspension and lubricated with armor ointment from APG (to make sure the casters always roll freely), put the Dwarven Defender on top of it, had him go into Defensive Stance and then pushed the cart towards the enemy.

The cart would count as a vehicle, and since the Defender himself isn't moving, the cart underneath him is, he would still be able to maintain defensive stance. After all, defensive stance isn't cancelled by being on a moving vehicle.

Also, if you pushed him hard enough, he could possibly be considered as "charging", and thus, able to set a polearm against the oncoming baddies, since he is not moving at all, and relative to him being stationary, he is charging forward.

I call this The Dwarven Offender.

Of course the enemies can just push him back.

This results in Dwarven Offender pong as people frantically try to keep this guy pointed in the correct direction.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    How does it handle the same problem that has plagued Dwarven Defenders from Greyhawk to Faerun?

Ranged attacks.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »
    How does it handle the same problem that has plagued Dwarven Defenders from Greyhawk to Faerun?

Ranged attacks.

Tower shield to get cover bonus, plus Combat Expertise.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

Ranged attacks.

Tower shield to get cover bonus, plus Combat Expertise.

BUT HOW DO THEY HANDLE THAT PROBLEM???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So.

Guys.

My brother and I were talking about Dwarven Defenders when a most glorious idea popped into my head.

What if you manufactured a 5x5 cart with mithril casters (to prevent anything from damaging them) with a dwarven-make suspension and lubricated with armor ointment from APG (to make sure the casters always roll freely), put the Dwarven Defender on top of it, had him go into Defensive Stance and then pushed the cart towards the enemy.

The cart would count as a vehicle, and since the Defender himself isn't moving, the cart underneath him is, he would still be able to maintain defensive stance. After all, defensive stance isn't cancelled by being on a moving vehicle.

Also, if you pushed him hard enough, he could possibly be considered as "charging", and thus, able to set a polearm against the oncoming baddies, since he is not moving at all, and relative to him being stationary, he is charging forward.

I call this The Dwarven Offender.

Of course the enemies can just push him back.

This results in Dwarven Offender pong as people frantically try to keep this guy pointed in the correct direction.

let me tell you about summoners and the "brontosaurus bomb" dilemma

@PiptheFair ,go on

This discussion has been closed.