As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Atlas Reactor] Alpha sneak peek Feb 18-24

gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
Anyone else get into the sneak peek beta? *never started a game discussion, I guess I can spruce it up if I'm not the only player interested.

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
Ps4 : Gigawatt666
Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
LoL : GiG4W4TT

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    This game has an NDA right for this weekend?

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    As I understand it, the NDA is down for the weekend.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    NDA has been lifted "only" for this event this weekend. They said you can post pic's, screenies, video and LiVe stream this weekend on all social media.

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
    Ahh cool I only had time to download it and study last night so I will be on it tonight. It has promise for me. I am excited to see how it plays.

First few games reaction: Solid promise. Had a great time trying out the characters that were open. Had a double overtime game which was pretty nuts. If you go into sudden death and keep even on kills between rounds it will continue into overtime rounds. The gameplay is solid and quick. In the beginner matches with everyone moving around all over the place it was pretty easy to get pot shots off. But in the last double overtime match it appeared most of us were maneuvering around decent and laying down traps etc to push and bait.

Personally I think the game will most likely die out fast with all the heavy hitters that are going to be out but if it can maintain a solid core I could see it being a very solid f2p alternative to your off moba or game. Like smite to me.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Can anyone explain the blue/red tiles? Blue seems to give stealth, red... does something else?

There's a ton of hidden knowledge in this game that isn't explained by the tutorial, which is a bit frustrating. (I'm super bad at this.)

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I believe the blue and red tiles are stealth if you are in them basically steam vents or something of that nature. I have to say its pretty fun especially when the pvp and coop queues are moving fast. Its kinda like xcom, LoL and robo rally had a drunken three way and produced a baby. The game length is pretty good at around the 20 minute or so mark so it moves well for a turn based game and lots of champ diversity.

Not sure what the longevity of something like this would be but it is pretty damn fun.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    anyone playing this? I'm in the Closed Beta. Pretty fun but would be better with a team and voice coms as opposed to PUGs.

• BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    anyone playing this? It's released, and is quite fun. Enjoying Gremolitions Inc. and Grey at the moment.

really enjoy the game length, doesn't feel like a huge commitment to play 1 or 2 games.

steam_sig.png
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yea I started playing it a little bit as well, nice change of pace from a lot of other mobas though curious to see if it maintains a player base, been mostly playing Grey as well

PSN SeGaTai
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Atlas Reactor's pretty fun, and has a niche that other competitive games haven't slotted into, yet. Not sure if it has legs, but I do play.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited October 2016
    Did Tycho's ELI5 for this game ever come out? I still play occasionally, but its been weeks now I think. I haven't played the newest freelancer.

here's tycho's 1 hr video with the devs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X4jDmuUvgo

valiance on
    Anyone still playing? Tried out the new ninja guy, he is pretty awesome, went 5-0-5 and 5-1-5 in both games I played as him.

steam_sig.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I tried this back in summer.

It was tricky getting the hang of. The tooltip text was really small and the time you had to make a move always felt like 5-10 seconds too short. I get that they want to keep it fast paced, but I always ran out of time.

Honestly its just a matter of getting used to it. Also some lancers are a bit more complex for turn stuff. Like celeste aiming both arms well and or throwing 2-3 bombs plus doing a move starts getting somewhat tight timewise. Then you have DR fin and its basically either throw something at one guy or do huge cones in a direction which are really simple to lock in quick.

Getting used to the characters and what you want to do and learning you don't always have the time for the perfect action and even if you did so don't let yourself get bogged down trying to game everything out. Eventually you get a feel of the flow of the game and its a lot easier to figure out what people are likely to do and counter it without going into an analysis tailspin.

20 seconds is not a ton of time but it also keeps you from trying to go through every possible permutation of all possible moves. It also means win or lose the games don't take to long I can generally bang out my dailies in an hour or less depending which one I pick. Most games are like 15-20 minutes long and often even shorter if somebody gets their 5 kills sooner.

They have been adding a TON of content both new free lancers the new map and tons of new skins every week and with the chapter stuff it does a good job of having some side objectives for you to work on to make you try some stuff you may have not otherwise tried.

Kinda funny thing for me with this game is it pretty much took over my LoL play time slots. This thing scratched an itch I did not know I had and it actually can be reasonably social because there is actually time to chat with people during the resolution of the turn phase.

I have been playing this thing for a long time and I have yet to have any real super salty team mate. It is pretty night and day better for me community wise than league of legends. Some like complaining in general but for the match chat it has been overall pretty reasonable. Also due to the mechanics people seem understanding of not locking in a move or locking in something weird by accident and looking silly during the resolution of that turn because at some point it happens to everybody.

Really looking that game but haven't been playing as much as I'd like. Part of that now is placing probably higher in ranked then I can maintain (plat 3).

After trying out the Gwent beta (a very different type of game) made me come back and realize how glad I am this game is one and done purchased and you can have fun strategic choices without dealing with FTP economies

PSN SeGaTai
    Yup given its price is pretty low just locking in and getting all the freelancers and new ones when they come out immediately is so nice. If I could have done an up front price on LoL when it came out it would have saved me a lot of cash.

edited November 2016
    So I guess we have some thread activity bc of the First 15 episode, so here it is:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/atlas-reactor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxYHq4eGag

I don't play much atm, but I wanna get back into it at some point when I'm less busy

valiance on
    For those playing
    Patch Notes: 11/22
    Skins
    New Aurora Skin! Necrolancer Aurora – Embrace the darkness!
    New Titus Skin! Necrolancer Titus - He brings the darkness of the reactor to you!
    These skins will be available from a Loot Matrix immediately, and for Iso starting on December 6th.

Taunts
    The first 14 released characters now have an additional primary attack taunt.

Bug Fix
    Juno, Su-ren, and Orion now count towards progress of the “Win a match with each Freelancer from a single Trust” mission.

The necrolancer titus skin is really badass looking.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Tried this out cause of the First 15. Having a lot of fun so far. Got Blackburn to lvl 5 and by the end was actually pretty good at killing fools.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Tried this out cause of the First 15. Having a lot of fun so far. Got Blackburn to lvl 5 and by the end was actually pretty good at killing fools.

Same! I don't have anyone to level 5, but it's fun. Annoying as support to have everyone split up and run away from you when you are trying to heal them :(

Healing seems kind of weak overall, too. Damage abilities often do 2-3 times a heal.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Same! I don't have anyone to level 5, but it's fun. Annoying as support to have everyone split up and run away from you when you are trying to heal them :(

Healing seems kind of weak overall, too. Damage abilities often do 2-3 times a heal.

Healing is sometimes more about mitigating total damage throughout the match, also damage abilities do more when the one getting damaged isn't behind cover. It is usually more fruitful to heal your tanks or "the smart ones".

steam_sig.png
    It's also not really until you start playing ranked that I noticed consistently better level of play. Once people learn to disengage, pick up health orbs, and get a heal in, they can come back to fight and all damage done to them is basically nullified.

PSN SeGaTai
    I lost a lot, tonight. Like, six out of seven PvP games were losses. Ouch

Steam profile
    My name in-game is kime#8759, if anyone wants to add and group up.

Steam profile
    Looks like the next freelancer is going to be announced tomorrow supposedly a new front liner apparently the next release after this is also a front liner which is nice which gives each role a pretty healthy amount of options.

For those playing and enjoying this game check this out https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?threads/giveaway-atlas-reactor-razer-chroma-skins.18199/ The razor skins are back and there are new ones available. Just sign up for it on the razer site. If you like this game at all these are some of the slickest skins very neat color cycling on all of them and I really love my razer asana skin. New ones look like su-ren/garrison/elle.

Chapter 5 unlocked last night along with the xmas stuff. Nix/gremolitions/su-ren/helio/aurora received some really nice holiday skins and a new game mode extraction was released as well. pretty interesting capture the flag type variant.

Did they re-enable Helio yet? saw they had him temporarily unavailable.

I'm still rolling through Chapter 3, I only get a few games a day in.

steam_sig.png
    He was available last night. It was just a matter of one of his new xmas styles apparently causing a game lock up. I like the new game mode but unlike the normal mode it makes me really salty. Normal mode even derps are at least doing some damage and contributing. But on extraction it is really easy to have people just not doing their job which make a win utterly impossible.

A lot of it is just simply not understanding they are even in a different game mode. They probably should not have had the option checked by default its causing for some real heart burn.

The new frontliner is pretty fun and can get some pretty crazy heal numbers if they time their self heal correctly.

• CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Checking this out since the game has a full Free to Play option now. I played a bot game last night with some random people. We got spanked pretty hard.

So far I'm having a lot of fun, even though I'm not understanding everything yet. I could see myself really getting into the game if it continues to be fun. I like turn based games and competitive online games; but I rarely see them put together.

edited January 2017
    Cyrenic wrote: »
    Checking this out since the game has a full Free to Play option now. I played a bot game last night with some random people. We got spanked pretty hard.

So far I'm having a lot of fun, even though I'm not understanding everything yet. I could see myself really getting into the game if it continues to be fun. I like turn based games and competitive online games; but I rarely see them put together.

I think the combination of turn based but fast paced competitive online game is a potentially very potent one. I've seen it billed as DOTA2 + XCOM, which are my 2 most played steam games ever by far, so this is a formula made to appeal to me. Unfortunately, while I think the turn system is genius, I don't know think all the other elements gelled the way I wanted them to. I'd love to see it take off, but I haven't been able to sell a lot of people on it, and I don't like it as much as I wanted to like it.

That said, I'd love to play if PAers get a bit of a group going.

valiance on
    FYI season 2 chapter 2 launched today new game mode for this chapter is clone wars. Basically each team plays 4 of one free lancer. Pretty fun if crazy. Saw a stream of an aurora team vs an orion team. First blood was at turn 26 haha.

Also valentines day skins for a number of freelancers went live today with the holiday loot boxes.

I'm quickly starting to adore this game. I think the core gameplay design is really, really good. Matches can get tense (especially in the last turns) but overall I find it relaxing to play. Which is a weird feeling for me when playing an online competitive game. I'm starting to get a feel for how players will act, and I can sometimes make cool prediction plays.

The progression system probably needs another development pass, though. I love jumping around from character to character in games with a large roster, so I had to spring for the $30 pack that unlocks all the characters. With that purchase, however, I have very little to spend my "free" currency on. Not a big deal, though, I'm enjoying the gameplay so much that the progression doesn't matter much to me.

17 PvP games in, 33 more to go until I can try ranked :)

They are I think doing a unlock stuff pass especially for the new currency they added. With the valentines day stuff they did offer a few new flux items to purchase. Still skin wise there are a crap load of skins to unlock in the game and more being added every couple patches and when they add a new skin it usually comes with 7 or so color variations.

I hope they do some more stuff with the master skins such as alt VFX as if you have gotten to level 20 with a character you have put an awful lot of time into playing that guy.

It would be cool if you could get certain skin variants unlocked to buy with Flux when you hit level 10, for instance. It would give a nice sense of progression as you level up a character. I don't know if that would be good for their business model, though.

Sudden death games where teams keep trading kills on the same turn get pretty epic. I had one of those games last night and it got super tense.

The more I play and understand the game the more I enjoy it. I'm glad they've got a healthy player base going. Never takes long to find a match, and it seems to have my skill level figured out pretty well at this point.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I downloaded this last night after seeing it at PAX East. I remember this originally being announced but had no idea it was out until I saw it. This game seems like a really interesting spin on a couple of genres, I'm surprised I haven't seen more hype around it. What am I missing? Is it secretly terrible?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited March 2017
    So I downloaded this last night after seeing it at PAX East. I remember this originally being announced but had no idea it was out until I saw it. This game seems like a really interesting spin on a couple of genres, I'm surprised I haven't seen more hype around it. What am I missing? Is it secretly terrible?

I don't think it's secretly terrible. I'm just really really really bad at it. So much so that I lost a lot of the fun, so stopped playing a while back

kime on
    Steam profile
    I have been enjoying this game since it launched it really scratches a certain gaming itch. They also are adding in content for it for skins/new map/new game play modes pretty damn fast. Yesterday their new season chapter started and it has some awesome hilarious pirate skins for some of the free lancers.