As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa 2016: You'll go down in history...

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    So, to my Riddler/Santa hybrid, sorry for not posting.
    Been a busy week and haven't had time for ramming my head against tiny grey squares,
    But, my weekend starts now, so I'll take some time to investigate.

To the threadites who are puzzling along with me, here's the information I've received thus far.
    Puzzle 1. This is a training puzzle. If you are comfortable with this, please either post the puzzle with your answer, or the puzzle asking for help in the thread. You will get more difficult puzzles, but I wanted to give you a chance to solve them.

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg
    So, apparently, my colors weren't exact, so I updated Puzzle 1.

Noted the thread comments. maybe some goo ideas in there, maybe not.

I sent over the signs. No they are not numbers, good try thread. Also, it has nothing to do with your user name.
    xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png
    Not sure if the typo there was intentional or not. Goo ideas/good ideas?
    Well I have scene no info in thread, and you haven't replied as figuring things out yet. So I will give you your first real puzzle. This is the one you need to solve, and the other two should help. Don't worry, you will keep getting info until it is all solved.

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png
    (See's note: original file name: Drop1.png)
    Again, direct copy and paste of email. Not sure if the typo is intentional or not. Scene/seen?

I've put together collage of the puzzles and information provided so far in the hopes that diddling around in photoshop may make some connections. As well as the RGB values for the shades of grey in both decimal values and hex.
    i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Sadly, photoshop diddling did little for looking at this in a different way or inspiring any kind of break through.
    I wonder if this is how translators felt before the discovery of the Rosetta Stone.
    Knowing that there's a pattern there, a language trying to get information across. But having no idea how that pattern can be applied to their day to day thinking or the other way around.

So, Santa Riddler has struck again, leaving me more grey boxes in my inbox. I'm at my parent's house using their computer at the moment though, so I can't really edit them together for posting. Later though, I'll get them up here and see if the new puzzles can help shed some light.

Okay, I've updated the collage image, and it looks promising. But then, I'm assuming that this is actually math.
    5k7np3tjnp32.jpg
    The two new puzzles are at the bottom.

I had a thought that that the possible tiles represent the decimal places between 0 and 1. Black being 0, white being one, the intermediary numbers being .1, .2, .3 etc.
    If this is correct, the multiplication puzzle can be written as 01 (x) 01 (=) 01. I think this is where the idea came from, since the only number that is it's own square is 1.
    The second new puzzle works as well, as 0 (/) 0 (=) Undefined, as any number divided by 0 is undefined.

That thought kind of falls apart in regards to the first two puzzles though.
    I've filled in the values in this version but the numbers just don't seem to add up though.
    And I still don't know what I'd do with a big grid of numbers like that.
    bgkkl9v4dqui.jpg

Maybe one of you will catch what I'm missing, DyasAlure , @ArcticLancer

What squares fill in with 0's and 1's from the actual puzzle? I'm at work and can't check out the luminosity of the grays.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I am so glad I wasn't the target of that Santa. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Ok stalking complete and package sent, now I wait.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So, to my Riddler/Santa hybrid, sorry for not posting.
    Been a busy week and haven't had time for ramming my head against tiny grey squares,
    But, my weekend starts now, so I'll take some time to investigate.

To the threadites who are puzzling along with me, here's the information I've received thus far.
    Puzzle 1. This is a training puzzle. If you are comfortable with this, please either post the puzzle with your answer, or the puzzle asking for help in the thread. You will get more difficult puzzles, but I wanted to give you a chance to solve them.

Santa
    go5t1nf9119b.jpg
    So, apparently, my colors weren't exact, so I updated Puzzle 1.

Noted the thread comments. maybe some goo ideas in there, maybe not.

I sent over the signs. No they are not numbers, good try thread. Also, it has nothing to do with your user name.
    xpga201a4lqg.png
    tlp405ibt1pe.png
    zml2ls610rec.png
    9eaux4pu31ms.png
    Not sure if the typo there was intentional or not. Goo ideas/good ideas?
    Well I have scene no info in thread, and you haven't replied as figuring things out yet. So I will give you your first real puzzle. This is the one you need to solve, and the other two should help. Don't worry, you will keep getting info until it is all solved.

So without further ado:

I give you

Drop 1
    6c1w9hdvicez.png
    (See's note: original file name: Drop1.png)
    Again, direct copy and paste of email. Not sure if the typo is intentional or not. Scene/seen?

I've put together collage of the puzzles and information provided so far in the hopes that diddling around in photoshop may make some connections. As well as the RGB values for the shades of grey in both decimal values and hex.
    i0lwyo8mq1bi.jpg

Sadly, photoshop diddling did little for looking at this in a different way or inspiring any kind of break through.
    I wonder if this is how translators felt before the discovery of the Rosetta Stone.
    Knowing that there's a pattern there, a language trying to get information across. But having no idea how that pattern can be applied to their day to day thinking or the other way around.

So, Santa Riddler has struck again, leaving me more grey boxes in my inbox. I'm at my parent's house using their computer at the moment though, so I can't really edit them together for posting. Later though, I'll get them up here and see if the new puzzles can help shed some light.

Okay, I've updated the collage image, and it looks promising. But then, I'm assuming that this is actually math.
    5k7np3tjnp32.jpg
    The two new puzzles are at the bottom.

I had a thought that that the possible tiles represent the decimal places between 0 and 1. Black being 0, white being one, the intermediary numbers being .1, .2, .3 etc.
    If this is correct, the multiplication puzzle can be written as 01 (x) 01 (=) 01. I think this is where the idea came from, since the only number that is it's own square is 1.
    The second new puzzle works as well, as 0 (/) 0 (=) Undefined, as any number divided by 0 is undefined.

That thought kind of falls apart in regards to the first two puzzles though.
    I've filled in the values in this version but the numbers just don't seem to add up though.
    And I still don't know what I'd do with a big grid of numbers like that.
    bgkkl9v4dqui.jpg

Maybe one of you will catch what I'm missing, DyasAlure , ArcticLancer

What squares fill in with 0's and 1's from the actual puzzle? I'm at work and can't check out the luminosity of the grays.

Got them filled in with the corresponding values from the possible blocks. But that's appearantly not the point judging by the email I just got...
    zlk2k1pggiez.jpg

I'm glad that I wasn't a code breaker in some war. We'd have been right fucked if the Allies were relying on me to tell them when Germany was going to do something.

Edited to add:
    So, the eyes of Riddler Santa are upon us, and I've gotten an email.
    See, See,

See here now. You on the edge of the solution. You are on the outer fringe of the answer. I wouldn't fret, the answer like your present will be FOURTH coming. I think you will be AMAZed ON the solution. I wouldn't fret, as I said about the puzzle, it may be LOCKEd up Right now, but THE PIN should fall into place once you know the name. Whats in a name? Well guess you will have to round to find out.

You didn't forget rounding did you?

Puzzle Santa
    wqhptxwb2p73.jpg
    File name: pROGRESS.jpg

Odd capitalizations there. FOURTH AMAZON LOCKER THE PIN...
    Rounding?
    Wishlist photo that was sent with Riddler Santas first email:
    fq4hpf1el8y0.png

But, my eyes are burning and I'm about due to succumb to the inevitable effects of overeating.
    I'll see you in the morning my baffling beautiful grey squares.

see317 on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    "outer fringe" of the answer too, and lots of fringe boxsets on there.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    "outer fringe" of the answer too, and lots of fringe boxsets on there.

Yes, and the gift I already opened was the first three seasons of the show. Which I have yet to watch. Because I'm terrible.
    And tired.
    Why am I still reading the forums? Why am I still staring at squares?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Spooky. Thanks!

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Kraven is ready to hunt naughty children.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    @see317
    My thoughts so far:
    Learning that 0 and 1 were correct is helpful, but learning that literally every other assumed digit was wrong is probably more than 2 steps backwards otherwise. Add in rounding and the wishlist hint (which is very hard to tell if it even comes up yet, or if it's just going to give you a password you need later) is really just more confusion. I'm curious if we're being really dumb and overthinking something, or if these hints were a lot more obvious to Riddle Santa looking at this from the outside with the solution known, because largely all this update has done is confused the shit out of me. :P
    On the plus side, I learned about adding and subtracting Hex values. I'm pretty confident that isn't something we need for this puzzle. So ... there's that. <_<

see317
    My thoughts so far:
    Learning that 0 and 1 were correct is helpful, but learning that literally every other assumed digit was wrong is probably more than 2 steps backwards otherwise. Add in rounding and the wishlist hint (which is very hard to tell if it even comes up yet, or if it's just going to give you a password you need later) is really just more confusion. I'm curious if we're being really dumb and overthinking something, or if these hints were a lot more obvious to Riddle Santa looking at this from the outside with the solution known, because largely all this update has done is confused the shit out of me. :P
    On the plus side, I learned about adding and subtracting Hex values. I'm pretty confident that isn't something we need for this puzzle. So ... there's that. <_<

Yup, nothing quite like waking up to discover that you haven't actually made much progress at all.
    I wonder though, what if all the intermediate greys are supposed to be rounded up or down to be either 0 or 1? That wouldn't affect the multiplication or division puzzles...
    As for overthinking it, yeah, I'm pretty sure we're doing that. Like one of those little metal puzzles, once you know the trick it's easy to do but figuring out the trick is really difficult.

Can't play with that now, have to head out for a bit (wish me luck on this blackest of fridays).

I'd thought of that, but didn't like it. 10 + 10 = 01? 01 - 10 = 11? Eh ...
    I'd tried rounding them to web-safe colours, because I could, and that seems pointless (it was just there in photoshop, so why not try, right? :P ).
    I tried rounding the RGB values to the nearest 10, but this didn't seem to affect the resulting colours at all. I was hoping it might alter the codes enough to start creating new hex results, but it didn't pan out.
    I tried getting REAL crazy and converting each block to a letter based on assigning 26 characters across the 255 range. I think this would be a cool puzzle at some point, but it definitely isn't the case here.

I think part of where this goes wonky is the first puzzle's structure might be too generally convenient with several patterns that are hard to parse. Which is to say, each block of blocks has a pair of values that equal 10, and it uses something like 1,2,3,7,8,9, which are numbers that are easy to make patterns out of (1+2=3, 9+8=17), while also making all the RGB values nicely round out to 255. The subtraction puzzle makes a good check to basically prove how wrong we are about everything else, but I'm still not sure what to do with it. It's the one I'm trying to work with because it, unlike the addition puzzle, doesn't have "easy solutions", so it feels like anything deciphered there has more impact overall.
    I'll poke at it again after lunch with a bit more of a clear head and fewer wakeup fuzzies.

edited November 2016
    cg1ufz9vvrey.jpg

Mystery box arrived today. Anyone care to claim credit via Proxy?

MNC Dover on
    2.jpg 298.2K
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the updated avatar Bobkins! I'll be switching mine out in a few days

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    edited November 2016
    @see317
    I guess it helps when I numbers properly. I still don't like the addition one, but I liked 00-00=11. Fully rounding all the numbers to 0 or 1 ...
    ... and converting the binary strings to ASCII ...
    T
    o
    n
    y
    a
    ... is at least a word and promising.

Girlfriend's parents have arrived in the last 5 minutes, so I can't work on how that might interact with the rest, but see what you can do with it, man. I know you were on track for this anyway, but at least I've saved you some work.

[Edit]
    I stole 5 minutes. I think there's a package waiting for you at your nearest Amazon Locker location, which I largely know nothing about. But hey, website~

ArcticLancer on
    @see317
    I guess it helps when I numbers properly. I still don't like the addition one, but I liked 00-00=11. Fully rounding all the numbers to 0 or 1 ...
    T
    o
    n
    y
    a

Girlfriend's parents have arrived in the last 5 minutes, so I can't work on how that might interact with the rest, but see what you can do with it, man. I know you were on track for this anyway, but at least I've saved you some work.

[Edit]
    I stole 5 minutes. I think there's a package waiting for you at your nearest Amazon Locker location, which I largely know nothing about. But hey, website~

I'm glad you did that. I was about to as I was reading the thread, but you beat me to it.

Who is Tonya? See you have a SO? named Tonya?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    @see317
    T
    o
    n
    y
    a

[Edit]

I'm glad you did that. I was about to as I was reading the thread, but you beat me to it.

Who is Tonya? See you have a SO? named Tonya?

EAxMeqV.jpg

Edit: I wanted to feel like I was contributing.

Bear is Driving on
    edited November 2016
    Riddler Santa is still watching us. Unless, of course, Riddler Santa is one of us...
    See -

If you copy and pasted the below (If you want) That would be my in thread reply.
    @see317
    T
    o
    n
    y
    a

@ArticLancer : Puzzle Santa here. Good job at helping out @see317 .

Now both of you and @dyasalure You have all the text to figure out what Tonya means. This is a riddle, written in text.

Oh, and good job at remembering how to round.

Looking at that Amazon Locker site, there's a place to search by locker name.
    Enter locker name "Tonya" and I see one located at a Circle K 15 minutes away. Looking at the map, looks like that's the closest one to where I live.
    Now just have to figure out what the pin is to pick it up.

Edit: Looking at the site, it looks like they generate a unique code or barcode and send it to the purchaser once the package is delivered.
    If that's the case, I don't know if there will be a package there or not. It says they only deliver the code once the package is delivered, and then it gets returned to Amazon after 3 business days.
    Since I've been slamming my head against these grey blocks for well over 3 business days, I'm guessing Riddler Santa probably hasn't finalized the shipping to the locker since there'd be no way to encode the pin number in the puzzle if it hasn't been delivered, and no way to be sure we'd puzzle it out within three business days if the code had been delivered.

see317 on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover your santa asked me to pass along this message.

"To Dover From Santa - those are from me! I hope your daughter enjoys them. I got a bunch for my girls when they were her age and they still love them many years later. I am working on something for you still (you're a hard target) but I won't rest till I find something nice!"

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Santee, you have been Santa'd! I'll out myself after I know you've got everything!

giphy.gif

camo_sig2.png
    Grove wrote: »
    "MNC Dover" your santa asked me to pass along this message.

"To Dover From Santa - those are from me! I hope your daughter enjoys them. I got a bunch for my girls when they were her age and they still love them many years later. I am working on something for you still (you're a hard target) but I won't rest till I find something nice!"

A likely story! :P

The blocks are awesome and a huge hit with her already. Naturally she doesn't understand how they work, so for the time being they are simply hammers and chew toys. I foresee many years of fun (and painful foot traps for us) as she gets older.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Proxy the ElfProxy the Elf Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    @MNC Dover your santa asked me to pass along this message.

I'll let this slide.
    THIS time...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer across the forums since 2009!
    That comment from that avatar is scary.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Ok, I was doing my Santa things, checking this thread.

@see317 glad you figured it out. I was thinking your Santa found out a friend or relative to have you contact.

Anyway, I was shoping and ran across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yRXx7H5kg

You can search for it on Amazon. Anyone want a pancake robot for Christmas now?

A message from Riddler Santa
    5ubjsw0f3x9o.jpg

I'm really hoping that ominous picture doesn't require anymore work from us. Their message seemed to suggest we were finished at least. :P
    Thanks, Riddle Santa. I definitely had fun with this~

Now to wait? That is the hard part.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I was kinda hoping it'd be there already

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Proxy the ElfProxy the Elf Registered User regular
    Pro tip:
    If you are a Santa or a Santee, please send Proxy a Steam friendship offering!

It's definitely not for any kind of personal information selling at all.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer across the forums since 2009!
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Bit late to the party, but I'm gettin' my stalk on. Santee... I see you.
    If you see someone peeking in your window, wave hello! That chainsaw and hockey mask are uh... festive decorations...

Santa: I lurk the most, which puts you at a disadvantage.
    If you're stuck for ideas and want to avoid pesky physical objects, either a subscription to Humble Monthly Bundle (of any size/duration) or Nerdcore hip-hop albums would be most welcome. (I have everything from Mc Frontalot, Schaeffer The Darklord, and Random; always interested in new artists, too.)
    I love you. Your beard is rad.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Pro tip:
    If you are a Santa or a Santee, please send Proxy a Steam friendship offering!

It's definitely not for any kind of personal information selling at all.

Just to make sure, we're talking about this fellow right here, yes? http://steamcommunity.com/id/ProxyTheElf

(I mean obviously, I just need reassurance in all things.)

edited November 2016
    I'm really hoping that ominous picture doesn't require anymore work from us. Their message seemed to suggest we were finished at least. :P

Hmmm... If it is another puzzle, can we at least get RSTLN and E? I mean, it's what they give the people on Wheel of Fortune.
    If it's a message, and not just a bunch of question marks pasted there to cover revelatory information from Amazon regarding the contents of the package or the true identity of the enigmatic Riddler Santa.

Edit:
    Response from Riddler Santa:
    @see317 the question marks just hide the present. I thought it was funny looking.

Now, the RGB puzzle type 2 I sent over. Completely unrelated to type 1.

And the RGB puzzle mentioned by Riddler Santa
    I'm in a hurry. But lets see, real quick.

7ifawnua1nas.png

1. The top leads the bottom.
    2. The bottoms following the top tells you something.
    3. With the somethings, find a cipher.

I have till at least December 20 for presents right?

Yeah, I got time for another one. 2 wasn't enough right?

Puzzle Santa
    I'll spend some time in the morning picking the colors apart to find the RGB values in assorted formats.
    But that's tomorrow's problems, for tomorrow's me.

see317 on

Hmmm... If it is another puzzle, can we at least get RSTLN and E? I mean, it's what they give the people on Wheel of Fortune.
    If it's a message, and not just a bunch of question marks pasted there to cover revelatory information from Amazon regarding the contents of the package or the true identity of the enigmatic Riddler Santa.

Edit:
    Response from Riddler Santa:
    @see317 the question marks just hide the present. I thought it was funny looking.

Now, the RGB puzzle type 2 I sent over. Completely unrelated to type 1.

And the RGB puzzle mentioned by Riddler Santa
    I'm in a hurry. But lets see, real quick.

7ifawnua1nas.png

1. The top leads the bottom.
    2. The bottoms following the top tells you something.
    3. With the somethings, find a cipher.

I have till at least December 20 for presents right?

Yeah, I got time for another one. 2 wasn't enough right?

Puzzle Santa
    I'll spend some time in the morning picking the colors apart to find the RGB values in assorted formats.

So Riddler santa is the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b7k66_Psps

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Santa sent me a message yesterday (sorry for not posting about until now too much turkey) stating that I had one of two boxes on the way, I should not open it until the other arrives, and that i should get some limes when they get here.

Hmmmmm...

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    How many Secret Santas until someone gets into a SAW situation

YL9WnCY.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    How many Secret Santas until someone gets into a SAW situation

What makes you believe this isn't happening already?

edited November 2016

Thanks alot, past me. You lazy sod. Should have known I couldn't count on me when I was you.
    p59ijlbtv59f.jpg

Edit: Just got an email from Riddler Santa
    no time, so I will just tell you. top leading square is wrong.

I thought it might be, but couldn't check cause I was in hurry.

R: 255
    G: 0
    B: 0

see317 on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My Santa has struck! I got Star Wars Force Awakens Pinball and Disgaea PC on Steam this morning. I've been waiting to pick up both for awhile now so I'm getting ready to hit the pinball now.
    Thanks Santa!

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

I'm under the weather today; this lootcrate was well timed!
    65fvgzpvgg0s.jpg

Woo, Doctor Strange! The movie earlier this month was rad. And it's tastefully not a funko pop.
    3vd8klyygx6p.jpg

Harry Potter-verse shirt! I literally saw Fantastic Beasts last night. You didn't see this. I was never here.
    y7tluk9txtqu.jpg

An Elder Scrolls Online pin. I'll add this to my con backpack next to the Monster Hunter and Overwatch pins. :biggrin:
    rc0ifhg83wd7.jpg

A sinister notebook. I only know a little about about Game of Thrones; I had no idea it had an Emperor Palpatine crossover.
    lfd8lc41gc10.jpg

A comic book mashing up hilarious(ly terrible) 80s action films? Yesss. (The plot is based entirely on the fact that the same actor played both protagonists.)
    3no9jpq2v2dy.jpg

Thank you @Kendrik! Happy Thanksgiving/Christmas/Holidays/Decemberween!

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hey now, Big Trouble in Little China is not a terrible film.

Stabbity_Style.png