As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Acknowledgment signature flooring-- neighbor won't sign for HOA

hibiscus916hibiscus916 Registered User new member
Hello,

I need advice. I live on the second floor in a condo. HOA a requires a signature from three surrounding neighbors in order to get approval on laminate flooring. Two out of the three neighbors have signed. I am having difficulties getting the third person to sign. They have already conditionally approved my laminate flooring upon the third signature. The neighbor will not answer his door when I come to his home. What do I do? If I get a lawyer would they be able to help? Any response would be great. Thank you

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Ugh. Overly restrictive HOAs. The worst.

Is that guy you can't reach the only third neighbor you can ask? Is there not someone else you can try? If not I'd suggest asking someone on the HOA board to step in on your behalf. In theory, the HOA is there to help you with your neighbors when face to face discussion gets you nowhere.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    To be clear -- you're sure the third neighbor is home and intentionally not answering the door? Have you seen or spoken with him before? Is he reclusive, or is he opposed to the installation?

Is his unit directly underneath yours? It should be way less of an issue for the adjoining units.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    To be clear -- you're sure the third neighbor is home and intentionally not answering the door? Have you seen or spoken with him before? Is he reclusive, or is he opposed to the installation?
    Is his unit directly underneath yours? It should be way less of an issue for the adjoining units.

If the neighbor is just being reclusive or has a schedule that doesn't line up with yours or something, is there another way you could contact them?
    Write a note and leave it on their door? Write them a letter and mail it to them? Tape a letter to a tin of butter cookies and leave it on their doorstep?
    I'm guessing you don't have an email address or a phone number for your neighbor, but is it possible the HOA might be willing to provide that information?

I'm no legal expert here, but I don't think a lawyer would help. I mean, I don't think you can really compel a person to open their door for you, or to sign a document like that.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Could you expand the definition of neighbor? Like say get someone from across the hall?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Could you expand the definition of neighbor? Like say get someone from across the hall?

Well to me, "surrounding neighbors" is already expanded to mean anyone within a block radius. Those are one's "neighbors", unless the HOA explicitly says it has to be people with an adjoining wall or floor to you.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind