As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flay's Flailings (NSFW/NSF56K)

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Dang dude. Those studies are so juicy. The wet sheen and sense of translucency on the skin of that fish is excellent, even in such a rough state.

Lamp on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Flay wrote: »
    Some stuff from today

XeqaGxJ.jpg

I'd really appreciate some crits on the first one, because I'm feeling kind of stuck

It seems like you haven't really decided how the light is going to work. It looks like there's a bright-ish light coming from the clearing, but everything in the foreground is seems a bit muted, as if lit by an overcast.

Its still loose and simple, so I would do a few different lighting passes over it and see what looks best.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Yeah you're completely correct. Different lighting setups would be good, but I think the composition needs to be improved first. There's not much distinction between the mid ground and the background, that contrast could be pushed a lot harder. Thanks guys!

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    I agree. Maybe allow a bit of the sunrays from the far back to touch upon your midground as well here and there, that will also bring it together colorwise. Right now it feels to me like you have a disconnect between the muted foreground and that yellow light. It also pulls all of the attention towards that one spot high up in the sky. Is that where you want it to be?

www.instagram.com/ceneven
    edited November 2016
    Completely agree. I decided to take what I learned from that composition and move on.

For about the last month and a half I've been doing the prompts in the daily spitpaint facebook group every day. I figured it would be nice to have an easily accessible record of my progress so I'm going to try and post every image in here too, along with anything else that I make, so prepare for some spam.

Today's prompt: Red Desert

imSGemd.jpg

Flay on
    Daily spitpaint, prompt: The Gamble

NEPkxYA.jpg

Plus some head studies

ebVqjU5.jpg

A horrifyingly bad 1hr head without reference

xpdoz3o.jpg

And my first ever attempt at oil painting.

V1BTWVu.jpg

Like the faces, Flay. I feel like drilling at your values is a decent pursuit at the moment. I also like the little oil painting, for a first attempt it has a lot of charm.

I'm a failure with oils, its not a good time for me at all, but the results that people get always make me want to try again,

Thanks Iruka. Oils are a massive pain in the butt, and in all honesty I'm not sure how much more I'll learn from it over say painting digitally or in gouache, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Today's spitpaint, prompt: Settlers

J0GIQDK.jpg

Different media will open up new challenges, which will teach you new ways to solve problems. I've been meaning to play around with other media more, but apartment living has some limitations. I think playing around with new stuff is a great way to shake up your though process, though.

Love the catan pieces, looks perfect for a digital adaptation of it. That might be worth polishing if you are considering mobile companies with your portfolio.

True, plus it removes the temptation for relying on any photoshop tricks.

Spitpaint for today, prompt: Reborn. Didn't quite come together this time

LuB54Ic.jpg

Forgot to post my spitpaint yesterday, so here's two:

'The Blue Butterfly'

d6q0YVA.jpg

'Devil'

OGpcrIx.jpg

Arm studies from Proko's anatomy course

fPfeQhd.jpg

And today's spitpaint, prompt: The Writer

tom5XDV.jpg

Bleh, not so good today. Prompt: Drought

SmdrHR5.jpg

That bottom left arm strikes me as a bit taffy like, but I haven't watched that proko video.

I really enjoy the speed paints! You're really tackling them right and working out complex concepts in a short amount of time. I've always kinda sucked at them, I need to draw things out, usually.

edited November 2016
    Thanks! Yeah, I probably exaggerated that one too much. The shading also makes them look like plastic

I sort of cheat with the spitpaints, I'm gonna be honest. I usually look at the prompts first thing in the morning and spend the rest of the day thinking about my idea and composition, so I usually have a lot of things figured out before I even start. Plus I usually grab a few references outside the time limit.

Anyway, here's today's prompt: Sense of Touch

2cbJDqP.jpg

The fingers are long and weird, but I needed to fudge it to make the concept more obvious in the time limit :P

Flay on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    No specific crits from me but you've grown & improved a ton while I've been away, Flay. The speedpaints are great.

header_image_sm.jpg
    edited November 2016
    Cheers Squid! I feel like I've made more improvement in the last two months than I have in this whole year, almost entirely from doing these speedpaints every day.

Today's spitpaint: Amphibian Vehicle

fIFjZ3k.jpg

Flay on
    Id like to imagine that that's what a water kelpie actually looks like.

edited November 2016
    Dang I've always felt like I'm wasting my time when I try to speed paint... I tell myself that I have to get good before I can get fast, as the saying goes. So I've been going in the opposite direction for quite a while, trying to plan everything out really carefully, taking tons of reference, etc. But I can definitely see the progress here for sure. These are great. Makes me want to try some spit paints myself. Keep it up!

Lamp on
    Ultimately I think you want a balance between the two. Long studies teach you things that speedpaints never could, and vice versa. Half an hour a day isn't too much of a commitment if you're focusing on studies, and I've actually found it to be a massive help for figuring out where my studies should be being directed. You definitely should give it a shot!

Prompt: 'Out of Body'

hkvO7Yv.jpg

edited December 2016
    I skipped a couple of days because I've been kind of down about my abilities. I'm back now

Today's prompt: Giant tree

zhzgiEj.jpg

Yesterday's prompt: Summer child

M83xZrY.jpg

The day before that: ancient language

25lQQbS.jpg

And a failed prompt that took too long: under the surface

1D2TS4a.jpg

Flay on
    Its hard, but try not to get down on yourself.

When you get a bunch of these, you should tile them all together on one big sheet, it'll really make you look over how much you've done!

I love love that ancient language one, really nice pallet and mood.

The summer child one, I thought she was jumping off a waterfall for the longest time, and then I realized I'm supposed to be underwater?

Wow that manhole cover one is really neat I think. The atmosphere and colors really draw me in. Great work!

It's only the brain spiders acting up. It happens :P

Thanks guys! Yeah the summer child one was meant to be underwater, but I ran out of time

Prompt: Sunday Afteroon

kURyiSx.jpg

And a couple of 1 hour head studies

ZGKhfgT.jpg

7sdQCEN.jpg

My edge control is really bad, I realise, so that's something I'm going to focus on improving for the next little while

edited December 2016
    Prompt: Magnets

cg2wlyq.jpg

Trying to be a bit cleaner with edges, but my values need work

Flay on
    Prompt: Woodwitch

I8eR3Tm.jpg

Prompt: 'A Red Line'

nREABuh.jpg

Prompt: Magnifying Glass

07hXVz6.jpg

And a 1 hour lighting study

hW5q2VJ.jpg

edited December 2016
    Unfortunately my computer has died, and I won't be able to fix it for a few days, so I'll be taking a break from spitpaints

EDIT: Never mind! My computer has been resuscitated, at least for now. Spitpaint incoming later

Flay on
    edited December 2016
    Yesterday's prompt: Two colours

XhvsN3A.jpg

Today's prompt: End of Days

uGU4TtE.jpg

Ugh that second one didn't work out so well, but you've gotta miss sometimes

Flay on
    edited December 2016
    Prompt: K.O.

OoT3QVX.jpg

Man this did not work out like I imagined

Flay on
    edited December 2016
    Prompt: Beam of Light

VC8tqye.jpg

I'll have to work on my composition some more

Flay on
    Late night last night, forgot to post this one. Prompt: stardust

3nGCWBa.jpg

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    It's really nice to see how much variety you continually have with these in terms of content, composition, color, etc. Seems like it's really helping!

Thanks! I really try to experiment with these, but the more I try the more I realise that I need to work on the fundamentals

First attempt, which took too long: Flat Tire

TYK8JHS.jpg

Second attempt: Ancient Sea Lord

G80dTOc.jpg

A couple of spitpaints

Prompt: Grazing Animal

ds9iy6I.jpg

Prompt: Peace

c4vkFLf.jpg

And some studies

q72VM4t.jpg

Ref

wWgowyw.jpg

Ref

Crits always appreciated!

edited December 2016
    A spitpaint I forgot to post, prompt: Ascension

5h1VIga.jpg

A 30 minute figure from imagination

0ZLb9TQ.jpg

And a 1 hour figure study

XsHRgn8.jpg

Flay on
    edited December 2016
    Prompt: Worm Swarm

WKrFtDf.jpg

I feel like I should try to be less ambitious with these. This doesn't really tell the story I had in my mind at all

Anyway crits still appreciated

EDIT: That last spitpaint was dumb so I tried again. Prompt: Hidden Artifact

YFv19D0.jpg

Flay on
    edited December 2016
    Experimenting a little with this one, prompt: Fortune is On Your Side

ZbfBqdq.jpg

Flay on
    Late because I was out seeing Rogue One. Prompt: Harsh Light

7WIX4p4.jpg