As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday ArmadilloI'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
Hello dear adventurer! Might I strike your fancy towards an illustrious table-top experience!?!

If you're a thespian at heart and incredibly xenophobic, like to a sociopathic-level, might I encourage you look at any numerous versions of classic fantasy role-playing games? You can play the role of a Dwarven barbarian or an Elven mage or an Orc bard, either way you will undoubtedly murder people different from you & steal their possessions off their still warm-bodies.

Like these folks! Look at these perfectly quaint creatures! You'll murder them! YOU'LL MURDER THEM, YOU GOD-DAMN FIENDS!!!

goblins-in-Labyrinth-21-Most-Traumatizing-Moments-From-80s-Children-Book-Story-Films.jpg

But perhaps you're more of a painter, one who lives to mold an idea into physical being through many hours of pain-staking work! In that case you have many options, as many options as your credit score can afford!!!

Look at these little guys! Aren't they awesome! I bet you'll pay any large-sum of money for them! We certainly hope so because their business model, if you can call it that, depends on it!

tau-crisis-01.jpg

Oh but maybe you like trains!?! Do you like building train routes? What capable adult doesn't want to spend an evening with his chums competing over train routes!?!

TicketToRide.jpg

And I could be all wrong about all of this. Maybe you just want to betray your friends? Maybe you're a horrid man-beast wearing a person costume? Maybe you're a SECRET HITLER!?!?!

377720899820_01060301-large.jpg

Either way, welcome to a hobby everyone's jumping into it. It's hip, it's groovy, it's never going away!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Anybody familiar with the Laundry RPG or the Call of Cthulhu system on which it is based?
    I'm thinking of running it for my group.
    Any suggestions of good house rules or errata to be aware of? I noticed that it uses dicerolling for main characteristics, which I'm generally not a fan of.

steam_sig.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Johnny Hitler couldn't be evil! He's the most popular boy at school.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The Hitlers are a very respected family in our community.

Oh hey, I played Secret Hitler with my family yesterday. I was doing great as Hitler until my brand new Sister in law forgot she was a fascist and/or that I was Hitler and shot me. All in good fun though.

Mega Dungeon is currently on it's 5th level and counting. We'll just have to see how grand the Tomb of the Khan of Khans gets before someone stumbles on it.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Hey guys,

what's cooler:

Snake-like dragons or bird-like dragons

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Hey guys,

what's cooler:

bird-like dragons

broken image link
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    My pandemic game just got to may

we are fucked

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hey guys,

what's cooler:

bird-like dragons

I'm most partial to generic western dragons with 6 total limbs, 2 of which are wings, despite the anatomical difficulties, but if it's just between wings-as-forelimbs dragons and snake-y eastern myth dragons I'd go with birdwings dragons

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Reminder that Blood Bowl was officially re-released this week

Blood Bowl is great

signed up for the official league at my local store yesterday, league doesn't start until January but it'll be fun

just like, a big fluffy feathery dragon

probably not fire-breathing, that could get a bit dicey

broken image link
    just like, a big fluffy feathery dragon

probably not fire-breathing, that could get a bit dicey

I call these "blankzillas"

BahamutZERO.gif
    It seems to me that Western dragons were originally also envisioned as snake-like and that is interesting to me (cf "wyrm" or the Roman draco)

But I also like the idea of a feathered dragon

GdDNEHM.jpg

rarr/squawk

broken image link
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Hey guys,

what's cooler:

neither

cat-like dragons are the best

yeah see that's a fucking awesome blankzilla

BahamutZERO.gif
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    GdDNEHM.jpg

rarr/squawk

[rawwk]

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    yeah see that's a fucking awesome blankzilla

Best I've seen honestly

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    I think dragon feathers would be an awesome material

A coat made out of dragon feathers, a magical quill

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, there are evil versions of many good races in a lot of RPG's and tabletop games (like Drow and Chaos Dwarfs and all the evil human factions) but why are there almost never good versions of traditionally evil races, like noble orcs or honorable trolls. I like evil factions a lot for a variety of aesthetic and fun lore reasons but I don't hate good factions, and there's a good chance I'd play the hell out of good themed orcs.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    feathered dragons are fuckin' neato

and really if you think of dragons as dinosaur like, feathered dragons just make sense

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Would a dragon hatchling be all floofy and cute like a duckling?

Uriel wrote: »
    Would a dragon hatchling be all floofy and cute like a duckling?

omg

little hatchling dragon with down feathers

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Anyone here ever shop with roll4initiative.com? They keep slowing up in my Facebook ads and their tiles look pretty cool

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Hey guys,

what's cooler:

I like feathery kobolds and lesser lizard folk, and my dragons either snake or catlike

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Also really like tying dragons, bird people, kobolds, dinosaurs, and lizard people under one large umbrella.
    Kind of like dwarves, humans and halflings are so close they are related in some way

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm going to be playing in a Blood Bowl league at my local Games Workshop tomorrow.

Did not expect to be saying that in 2016.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'm going to be playing in a Blood Bowl league at my local Games Workshop tomorrow.

But do you expect to be saying that in 2017?

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Ardent wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

But do you expect to be saying that in 2017?

Yup, first league ends before Christmas and plans for a second league are already in place.

Looking forward to playing a lot of stuff at my local GW, guy who runs it is a treat, I've known him since I was in Junior Highschool. He got me into 40k back in 3rd edition. Ah... old times.

Plus I like the new direction GW seems to be heading in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_BBY0-zO1M

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    an idea would be smaller dragons have feathers. Say any dragon smaller than a sedan, they have are feather covered monsters of rage and rubber eating.

but larger dragons are scale covered, but rare and dying off. Whenever an Old Dragon dies the Mother of Nature weeps for it is one of the last of its kind.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Furry snake dragons with puppy faces

VRXwDW7.png
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So was playing Betrayal, and turns out there is a haunt that is basically the Saw movies.

Like exactly like the Saw Movies.

It was pretty cray.
    I was the secret traitor who's explosive collar didn't actually work.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Furry snake dragons with puppy faces

falkor-neverending-story.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    99120102066_ThousandSonsTerminators02.jpg

Fuckin' fuck you 40k I put you down stop making me want to pick you up

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am so fucking glad I got out of 40k when I did. Went to a game store and they had per-heresy models that were main line GW and not even Forge World stuff.

I should probably do something with my 20,000 points of Imperial Guard. They are just sitting in meticulously organized storage boxes right now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

See I want to play 30k

I want to play Imperial Fists with Solar Auxilia and grav tanks so bad you don't understand

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    See I want to play 30k

I want to play Imperial Fists with Solar Auxilia and grav tanks so bad you don't understand

I have a platoon of old Rouge Trader Imperial Army models so I'm already part of the way there!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

You seen that Grav-tank tho

1XL.jpg

*drools*

I mean yeah that is pretty rad but I also have these things from Forgeworld:

Vulture Gunship
    Thunderbolt Fighter
    Vanquisher Leman Russ
    Alternate model Hellhound
    AN ENTIRE ELYSIAN DROP TROOP ARMY
    A Warhound Titan
    Various other Imperial Guard upgrades and kits.

I have spent far too much money on that stuff.

I'm tinkering away at a 30k word bearers army.

Because I'm an idiot and decided: hey, lets supplement my 40k swarm tyranid army with a 30k swarm marine army.

At least the models are super cool.

I mean yeah that is pretty rad but I also have these things from Forgeworld:

Vulture Gunship
    Thunderbolt Fighter
    Vanquisher Leman Russ
    Alternate model Hellhound
    AN ENTIRE ELYSIAN DROP TROOP ARMY
    A Warhound Titan
    Various other Imperial Guard upgrades and kits.

I have spent far too much money on that stuff.

It's never enough

NEVER ENOUGH

I just realized that I never painted the Valkyrie Gunship that I build speakers and an MP3 player into so that I could play Anti-War Vietnam era music while my drop troops entered the battlefield.

God I miss 55 point IG vet squads made up of a Sarge and three dudes, with Plasma Guns or Meltas and Deep Strike. Just fucking throw them at a terminator squad or a big tank and who cares if they all die they killed triple their point value!

Probably going off 3rd Edition IG Codex is what killed 40k for me. Sure there was a ton of broken stuff but it had way more heart and character. You could do a lot of super dumb things.

This discussion has been closed.