As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I do not miss bullshit broken codexes at all, tbh

Well, they are still there

but yeah game balance is the one thing that puts me off 40k. 30k is supposed to be much better for that though...

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I did not even know that this 30k things was an actual separate thing till just now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I killed my party the other day

3 of them had been petrified by a particularly vicious cockatrice, and the surviving bard had one last hail mary shot. He whips out his lute or lyre or whatever and

Shatter.

The cockatrice survived the spell, which wasn't great, but the spell also sonically pulverized the 3 petrified party members and killed the hell out of them, and brought the dirt and stone burrow they had ventured into down on the bard's head.

it was barely even a side quest, just a couple of dumb villagers needed some pest control, now they have some folklore I guess

"oh nobody goes up to Partykill Hill, 's haunted or something"

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Furry snake dragons with puppy faces

falkor-neverending-story.jpg

x89hy1ymqjld.jpg

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Also really like tying dragons, bird people, kobolds, dinosaurs, and lizard people under one large umbrella.
    Kind of like dwarves, humans and halflings are so close they are related in some way

I think Argonians have a good amount of feathers

but I REALLY like kobolds being lizardy and stuff (even though they're such a widely interpreted fantasy species)

cutebolds are also p. great

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    everybody forgets that kobolds are basically those tiny dinosaurs that eat that little girl at the beginning of the Lost World

just like "haha look at this sweet widdle lizard baby" and then there's 30 of them

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I did not even know that this 30k things was an actual separate thing till just now.

Yup. Rules are by forgeworld so everything tends to be a lot fluffier. And you get access to completely insane old tech + forgeworld stuff so you can be running around with sicarian battletanks and ground transports that can carry 4 dreadnoughts and actually field primarchs and its nuts.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i played suikoden II very early on so for me kobolds are adorable anthropomorphic doggos

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yup. Rules are by forgeworld so everything tends to be a lot fluffier. And you get access to completely insane old tech + forgeworld stuff so you can be running around with sicarian battletanks and ground transports that can carry 4 dreadnoughts and actually field primarchs and its nuts.

Oh. Forgeworld. Right.

Now I am remembering that I have all of the Imperial Armour rule books up through my signed copies of the big WW1 themed three book campaign series they did.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

but yeah game balance is the one thing that puts me off 40k. 30k is supposed to be much better for that though...

787579.jpghomepage-gav1.jpg

• Options
    they are sorry for their sins solar

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Any Archipelago players over here on the SE++ end of things?

Wanted to ask if the 1 development card / round thing is in addition to placing a disc to take a regular action, where the card itself doesn't take a disc, or instead of regardless of the cost.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    I'm having a lot of fun in the Apocalypse World game I'm playing in. My character is Niro, a long-haul trucker who keeps this post-apocalyptic world afloat by running supplies between the few remaining human settlements. He's very proud of his perfect delivery track record.

Months ago I took a simple job - drop off a shipment of water at one town and return with a shipment of guns. Due to some bad rolls I was immediately kidnapped. Since then I've been imprisoned, conscripted into a foreign army, forced to fight monsters, kidnapped again, stranded in the desert, and briefly disappeared from this plane of reality. So much has happened that the GM forgot about the original job, but not Niro - he's been making contacts, manipulating his captors, and working every angle he can think of to get his truck where it needs to go.

Yesterday, three months after taking what should have been a simple one-session delivery job, Niro finally rolled back into town with the shipment of guns. Perfect track record maintained.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    they are sorry for their sins solar

There's literally no codex writer at GW who has not produced something hideously un-balanced

• Options
    ward and thorpe are the worst offenders by a country mile

• Options
    FYI I am currently playing Pandemic Legacy at school with another teacher and a team of students. We just got through June I think. It is very stressful.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    ward and thorpe are the worst offenders by a country mile

Cruddace wrote that bullshit Guard codex which gave rise to the Leaf Blower list but yeah in general they are the main offenders.

Though Ward is the worst out of the two. Fucking mech grey knights...

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ward fucked up Warhammer Fantasy real good, too. Though the funny thing about Ward is that he tends to write really interesting and internally-balanced books, he just doesn't give a fuck about balancing it with anything else in the game.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Got stuck playing CAH with family at Thanksgiving. What I didn't expect was to spend so much time explaining things like Heteronormativity

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Got stuck playing CAH with family at Thanksgiving. What I didn't expect was to spend so much time explaining things like Heteronormativity

I'd say 90% of CAH games I've played , I've had to explain that one.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Also really like tying dragons, bird people, kobolds, dinosaurs, and lizard people under one large umbrella.
    Kind of like dwarves, humans and halflings are so close they are related in some way

I think Argonians have a good amount of feathers

but I REALLY like kobolds being lizardy and stuff (even though they're such a widely interpreted fantasy species)

cutebolds are also p. great

Hey kobold thread what's up?

Lizard kobolds are the best! But I also like crest feathers on them because painting hair-like stuff is fun.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what about dog kobolds
    I think I vaguely remember an anime or something where there were "kobolds" I thought were clever that were basically scottish terrier gnomes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    They used to be described as dog-like in 2nd edition AD&D and their language was compared to barking

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    what about dog kobolds
    I think I vaguely remember an anime or something where there were "kobolds" I thought were clever that were basically scottish terrier gnomes

I don't know about scottish terrier gnomes (there are probably more than one anime with kobolds in them) but might you possibly be thinking of Record of Lodoss War? Anime was originally based on a D&D session/novel/"Replay" and in it kobolds looked like this:

record_of_lodoss_by_keiiion-d8iybtd.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    The original Germanic kobolds are basically what we think of as house spirits (or lares, if you're Greco-Roman). There's a couple of offspring varieties, of course (because, you know, legendarium explicuriae), that we might perceive more like nixies (water kobolds) or dwarves (the Cologne-specific kobolds).

Japanese (canid) and modern D&D (lizard) are pretty disconnected from the traditional.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

I...

What?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    It's a forge world thing

Like Imperial Armour but basically Heresy-era units and that

Solar on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I picked up Blood Bowl, hoping to get a game in with my brother tonight. It came with a 50% code for the Steam version of Blood Bowl 2, does anyone want it?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    what about dog kobolds

I'm a big fan of the Fey Corgi taking up that mantle

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what about dog kobolds

I don't know about scottish terrier gnomes (there are probably more than one anime with kobolds in them) but might you possibly be thinking of Record of Lodoss War? Anime was originally based on a D&D session/novel/"Replay" and in it kobolds looked like this:

ANIME

I don't want to sidetrack into anime trying to figure out what show it was, but those are clearly some goddamn gnolls japan, come ON.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »

I...

What?

Playing warhammer 40k but back when the emperor was still alive and primarchs still roamed the universe, right after horus turns traitor and everything goes to shit.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    So was playing Betrayal, and turns out there is a haunt that is basically the Saw movies.

Like exactly like the Saw Movies.

It was pretty cray.
    I was the secret traitor who's explosive collar didn't actually work.

This is one of my favorite haunts

• Options
    Just finished my first league match of bloodbowl, it was my humans versus orks. My team is a little sub-optimal because I'm just running what is in the starting box. So 6 linemen, 2 blitzers (4 is what I want), 2 catchers and 2 throwers. Barely won with a final score of 2-1, a really dramatic game with some huge turning points like the orks scoring in three turns at the tail end of the first half (every block went there way on their second turn of the drive, it was nasty, armor breaking everywhere), the entire momentum of the match turning when a black ork failed a two dice block, re-rolled and failed again, and with the final point being scored on the last turn of the game with 4 of my men in the casualty box.

Post match had some really interesting results, his black ork and my blitzer got MVP and both of us had enough points to get a new skill. He rolled doubles for his black ork, I rolled a 12, so now I've got a 4 strength blitzer. So I've got the most powerful single player in the entire league most likely. But just to show that nuffle giveth and nuffle taketh, I earned a grant total of 10,000 for the match, while my opponent earned 80,000 (6 + he had over double the amount of fans attending than I did.)

Blood Bowl is back, and it's great.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, man, just saw some of the Season 3 stuff for Guild Ball, and I'm actually excited about the changes to the Engineer's Guild.

Ballista having a actual goddamn real playbook is going to be amazing.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    @DaMoonRulz would it be too cruel for a one shot to have my regular table of people in real life play against people on Roll20 that are muted but can hear the room and play at least some of the monsters?

Beforehand I'd have the layout of the dungeon set up and then give the Monster Players an amount of creatures that would be a correct challenge rating for their zones in the dungeon. Then I tell the players that they've heard about this place and that roughly X monsters are inside. Then they have some time to plan and I DM like normal, while keeping an eye on Roll20 chat to see what the monsters want and are rolling. Too much? I'd almost need a Co-DM for that.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Id play as a monster in that

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I picked up Blood Bowl, hoping to get a game in with my brother tonight. It came with a 50% code for the Steam version of Blood Bowl 2, does anyone want it?

If you've still got it I've been meaning to buy that and would love a discount.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    y'know who I think are super neat?

Gnolls

they're pretty much a D&D creation (based very vaguely on a made-up creature from a 1912 short story)

over the years they've become very specifically Hyena-people and that's neato

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Bird dragons are cooler for three reasons.

1. Harpy eagle
    2. Bearded vulture
    3. Steller's sea eagle

That is all.

This discussion has been closed.