As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nature does what US never could, Castro dead at 90

124»

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Man, Castro dead in 2016, but then Ron Glass dead in 2016.

Talk about the year the lord giveth and taketh away.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Chemical Brothers are great but I don't think they ever made anything that hit me as hard as Fat of the Land

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Chemical Brothers are great but I don't think they ever made anything that hit me as hard as Fat of the Land

Different strokes for different folks. I still love Fat Of The Land, but I probably listen to Surrender three times as much.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Man, Castro dead in 2016, but then Ron Glass dead in 2016.

Talk about the year the lord giveth and taketh away.

2016 and beyond was fucked the moment Bowie died.

Different strokes for different folks. I still love Fat Of The Land, but I probably listen to Surrender three times as much.

I'll always listen to anything they do, and probably love it. But Fat of the Land is probably my favourite all time album so nothing matches

• ContinentalContinental Invisible Presence Melty Molten GalaxyRegistered User regular
    RIP Castro, I guess.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If we're going to view Fidel Castro as a villain, lets compare him to previous Cuban leaders.

At least Castro didn't sell out his country to organized crime.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I was on a heavy early-90's Blur kick a couple years back (Modern Life is Rubbish, Park life, Great Escape). Each has its own filler, but take the good material of each and sync it to one playlist and you have a damn good pop-rock double album.

The guitar riff of There's No Other Way is also genius in its blend of simplicity and expression.

Why yes I do enjoy Blur (also Pulp). Lush is my go-to 90's UK band though.

CptKemzik on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My goto 90s UK band is Take That.

• CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    The troubadours of our time.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i don't know how to feel abt the fact no one's mentioned radiohead

uc3ufTB.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    i don't know how to feel abt the fact no one's mentioned radiohead

Who?

JtgVX0H.png
    Radiohead are one of those bands where I just can't get into them

People love 'em and I listen and I don't dislike it, it's just I don't get what the fuss is about

But then other people feel that way about stuff I love it's just a taste thing

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I wouwld respect radiohead a lot more if thom yorke wasn't such a twat

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Thank you for reminding me I've got some Bad Religion to listen to

icGJy2C.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    If we're going to view Fidel Castro as a villain, lets compare him to previous Cuban leaders.

Did said organized crime kill and torture as many civilians as he did?

Not trying to sound smart, honestly curious.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    The prodigy had that pretty good song from the Scott pilgrim trailer

Yeah there's that, oh and also 5 UK #1 albums, a Guinness world record in 1999 for fastest album sales ever in the UK (think about that for a second) and somewhere around 18 million total album sales worldwide, but nevermind about all that.

primus sucks, dude

I dunno, they gave us this...thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

People love 'em and I listen and I don't dislike it, it's just I don't get what the fuss is about

I like Creep. I don't think I can name another of their songs.

I like Creep. I don't think I can name another of their songs.

The one where everyone is lying on the floor in the video!

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I like OK Computer, The Bends, and In Rainbows.

I understand why the other albums are well regarded but they just aren't for me.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Did said organized crime kill and torture as many civilians as he did?

Not trying to sound smart, honestly curious.

At least Batistas regime did. 20,000+ in just 7 years. Communist Cubas numbers aren't much better (estimates average at 15,000) but at least they're spread out over 50 years.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Thank you for reminding me I've got some Bad Religion to listen to

Remember, it's oooonlyyyyyy entertaaaainmeeeeent

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    The prodigy had that pretty good song from the Scott pilgrim trailer

Yeah there's that, oh and also 5 UK #1 albums, a Guinness world record in 1999 for fastest album sales ever in the UK (think about that for a second) and somewhere around 18 million total album sales worldwide, but nevermind about all that.

primus sucks, dude

I dunno, they gave us this...thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

I dunno, I always loved those costumes in a semi terrifying way. ( just man those were insanely well made costumes)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I find the whole fixation on Castro weird because he was pretty much a communist only in name?

Not gonna pretend he was 100% amazing or terrible, but I gotta admit that him being a burr in the backside of America for so long is kinda funny.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    While I have no opinions on Cuba itself. I do think that Cuba's involvement in Angola was rad.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I find the whole fixation on Castro weird because he was pretty much a communist only in name?

Not gonna pretend he was 100% amazing or terrible, but I gotta admit that him being a burr in the backside of America for so long is kinda funny.

he really wasn't past the 70s though

we kinda had the embargo and just sorta let it go for so long because nobody remembered what it was like to not have it

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Cuba definitely was a burr in the backside after the 70s. eg, Angola in '88.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'm not super attached to Radiohead but I have listened to exactly enough to totally get why Radiohead fans hate Creep (and its reputation as their one-hit-wonder moment) so much

Same with Modest Mouse and Float On

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Fidel Castro was absolutely relevant to the entirety of South Florida past the 1970s. Nowhere else though.

sig.gif
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I'm not super attached to Radiohead but I have listened to exactly enough to totally get why Radiohead fans hate Creep (and its reputation as their one-hit-wonder moment) so much

Same with Modest Mouse and Float On

I like Dashboard a lot more than Float On