As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Chuck those Pyukumuku, sniff those beds!

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Is there any way to get more luxury balls than the one you find and the five Lillie gives you?

You can buy them from the Route 2 Pokemart for 1000 each.
    Don't know which trials you need to have done to unlock, if any.
    I can buy them now after finishing the third island.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    oh my god smogon doesn't have the no duplicate item rule in place

I'd heard bad things about smogon before but I didn't realize it was that bad

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm curious how they're going to handle the remakes

Will they just remake diamond and pearl? Will they remake hgss? Will they use the laxer space limitations to somehow combine them? Will they skip diamond and pearl and just remake hgss? Will they just put out g/s on virtual console the way they did with rby when it was due for a second remake?

The best generation didn't have any remakes so hopefully they go down that route again.

wait, which are you calling the best generation?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Is that bad?

I would think the worst that could do would be to make a core set of particularly strong items widely used, rather than seeing a lot of branching into lesser-but-different items. More life orbs, fewer charcoals, basically.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Is that bad?

I would think the worst that could do would be to make a core set of particularly strong items widely used, rather than seeing a lot of branching into lesser-but-different items. More life orbs, fewer charcoals, basically.

I mean basically exactly that yeah

also multiple leftovers is very conducive to stall strats which just get annoying en masse

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Leaf Guard, Sunny Day, Solar Blade, Leech Life, Payback/Brick Break/Swords Dance.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Why is Alolan pokedex only 300? That's not even half.
    Why did Phantump get in and not Pumpkaboo?
    Wait a minute. Solrock and Lunatone aren't even in this game!
    Now that I have finished the pokedex I am getting more and more disgruntled about this gens choices.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Now that I have finished the pokedex I am getting more and more disgruntled about this gens choices.

gotta give you a reason to buy stars and/or the remakes

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Leaf Storm, Draco Meteor, Power Swap.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Personally i like the pruned dexlist this time around, it made me use pokemon i never would have otherwise and it was fun.

Also got a 3iv shiny modest ditto today so that was cool.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Kizmitt wrote: »

Pumpkins wont grow in that climate

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If they were going to remake anything at this point, the titles that make the most sense are to redo Red and Blue again since they're the oldest again

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they don't skip Diamond and Pearl remakes, cause boy do those games need them. Way more than gen 2 and 3 did, that's for sure.

There's so many small changes you could make to gen 4 that would improve it greatly. Better type distribution, new wild Pokemon list for the big mountain in the center, smooth out the late game levelling curve so the E4 isn't a 20 level jump over the eighth gym, make the Arceus event accessible without hacking.

Whether or not they would do those things is up in the air, considering they didn't really fix most of gen 3's issues with ORAS, but ya know.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Post Island 3 Spoilers
    Oh my gosh, Lillie's trainer outfit, I'm gonna cry.

Also, oh god, the reason her outfit looks like Nihilego isn't because she secretly is one, it's because Lusamine made her dress up as one. holy shit lady.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    I'm hoping they don't skip Diamond and Pearl remakes, cause boy do those games need them. Way more than gen 2 and 3 did, that's for sure.

There's so many small changes you could make to gen 4 that would improve it greatly. Better type distribution, new wild Pokemon list for the big mountain in the center, smooth out the late game levelling curve so the E4 isn't a 20 level jump over the eighth gym, make the Arceus event accessible without hacking.

Whether or not they would do those things is up in the air, considering they didn't really fix most of gen 3's issues with ORAS, but ya know.

They were really clear they wanted gen 3 to be as super accurate as possible and it suffered. A D/P remake cant really do that now that Sun and moon raised the bar

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    In Wonder Trade's most sinister insult yet, I wonder traded away my Gyarados because I have too many water types and got a Popplio.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Went for a ditto chain again

It wouldn't stay in the ball and ended up struggling itself to death

• Options
    (Everything about ditto chaining in this game is designed to infuriate me)

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Sheesh, there are indeed a bunch of battles in the late/post-game that come out of nowhere and don't give you the option to stop and prepare. In other news, this drizzle Pelliper that I fought tooth and nail to catch has earned my respect and a spot on my time, Tailwind is a boon, to say nothing of free Hurricanes.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

A trick I saw mentioned elsewhere is having the ditto transform into something that knows recycle and swapping a leppa berry onto it. That way it'll never run out of PP.

• Options
    Getting the whole Recycle/Switcheroo/Leppa Berry strategy set up takes a little effort, but it's absolutely worth it if you want to chain dittos without breaking a sweat.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    (Everything about ditto chaining in this game is designed to infuriate me)

This makes me wonder
    How much of this shit was designed and how much is it just players finding this potential in the system and making things work

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

A trick I saw mentioned elsewhere is having the ditto transform into something that knows recycle and swapping a leppa berry onto it. That way it'll never run out of PP.

yeah i did that

moved through 40 dittos with one of them a munchlax with recycle and a leppa berry

came time to catch the one i wanted, switched in my synchronizer

the ditto that came in had imposter, became a kadabra

brought my other guy back in, killed the munchlax ditto and false swiped the kadabra ditto and then threw balls until it struggled

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Finally at the elite four

For the first time ever I'm going to have to turn the exp share back on because I'm actually underleveled

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I wouldn't try and synchronize a ditto chain. It's only a 50% chance of working and as you saw, introduces variables than can fuck up the whole process.

Just chain breed the nature you want, or if you don't have it at all, go synchronize a wild male of the egg group you're breeding.

Everstone means setting your nature is the easiest part of the process, you don't have to put yourself through hell of getting the right natured Dittos, it only saves you like 5 minutes tops.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Finally at the elite four

For the first time ever I'm going to have to turn the exp share back on because I'm actually underleveled

Even with mine on my team barely got through the elite 4.

The game is heavily balanced on the assumption that youll have a a starter,raichu and lycanroc your team even at the end game
    Loathe as I am to admit it Popplio/Rudy Huxable/Primorina might be the best starter for a first playthrough because fairy typing is hella strong and hella rare in the main game.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Water/Fairy has perfect coverage too. So you can STAB most pokes without being resisted.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Water/Fairy has perfect coverage too. So you can STAB most pokes without being resisted.

It's a good combination, but it's not perfect

Water/Steel, Water/Poison, Grass/Poison

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Well, I finally beat it yesterday. Took me to the limit. Used almost all of my revives and max revives between the E4 and Champ, and Nakameowra (Incineroar) fainted from recoil on the final blow of the final Pokemon of the champ fight, he was my 2nd to last one alive. But we did it.

Hall of Famers (story spoilers in team names) :
    Thrisnospon the Alakazam, Level 60
    Nakameowra the Incineroar, Level 58
    Nebby the Lunala, 55
    Darkness the Maroway, 57
    Bob Johnson the Machamp, 56
    Drampa Joe the Drampa, 49

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    what to do when your randbats opponent has ho-oh and tapu bulu (try not to cry, cry a lot, predict the switchins)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-485056010

• Options
    Haha yeeeees Red Card Mimikyu

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

His biggest mistake was trying to set up on Pyukumuku. Pyukumuku isn't even aware of your x6 attack rating, Aegislash. He will just tank it and pass that substitute regardless.

Very nice fight.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

His biggest mistake was trying to set up on Pyukumuku. Pyukumuku isn't even aware of your x6 attack rating, Aegislash. He will just tank it and pass that substitute regardless.

Very nice fight.

Yeah, if he had just kept Aegislash in, Pyukumuku couldn't have really done anything. I could replace Baton Pass with Soak, but Baton Passing Substitutes is really, really useful.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'm going to need a team for the Battle Tree to start farming the BP for training equipment. Ideally this team wouldn't need to have any IV/EV training. Last time I did this, gen 4, I used a Starmie, and that still seems like a solid choice. What others should I use? I'm thinking I could maybe pull the Metagross and Mimikyu from my campaign team, unless I'm missing something obvious.

• Options
    Is a Red Card consumed forever if I use it outside of online battles?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Is a Red Card consumed forever if I use it outside of online battles?

If you use it in regular gameplay, yes. In a Battle Noun type battle, no. The rule of thumb for consumables (which a Red Card counts as) is that if you can earn experience from the battle, it will be used up.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    He made a lot of mistakes there, if we're being honest

Like using Air Slash multiple times against Turtonator when it wasn't doing dick, using nothing but Shadow Sneak with Aegislash opened him up to big hits he didn't need to take outside of his shield form, instead of allowing Pyukumuku to Baton Pass subs relatively unopposed he should have been breaking them (Both Salazzle and Aegislash died because of that)

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Caught careful and naive high IV dittos

Went to save the game and somehow crossed a wire in my brain and turned the system off instead

I just

Wh

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I'm going to need a team for the Battle Tree to start farming the BP for training equipment. Ideally this team wouldn't need to have any IV/EV training. Last time I did this, gen 4, I used a Starmie, and that still seems like a solid choice. What others should I use? I'm thinking I could maybe pull the Metagross and Mimikyu from my campaign team, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Mimikyu is an extremely strong option, Disguise lets you get a free switch in / turn to set up / damage. Throw a Dark or Normal type to cover your Ghost weakness and you should be good.

This discussion has been closed.