As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do I have to update my address?

ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
Hey all,

In May of this year I moved to my first apartment. It's in the same town as my mom's place where I lived before. Since I still visit quite often I left my official address unchanged at the post office and the Illinois DMV/secretary of state. I only updated my address at work.

Since the apartment I got is a rental and I am unsure how long I will stay, am I required to update my address at the post office/state gov?

steam_sig.png
PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Gray area, you should, but, you're not "required to" necessarily since that address can still be used as a point of contact.

A great comparison for this is people who maintain two residences, like snowbirds who go to Florida.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    It'd probably be more convenient for you to set up a forwarding address with the post office, but I don't know your life.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    As long as you stay current with your license and everything, it doesn't really matter.

As Skeith said, you can forward mail from your mother's; you can do it all online if you have a credit card to confirm ID.
    It's a good way to screen out junk mail as they tend not to deliver that stuff.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    keep in mind, forwarding only stays in effect for 6-12 months depending on which option you pick

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    "Officially" I think it varies state to state. Usually there is the concept of a "permanent address" (like @bowen said around snowbirds) it's easier to keep it your mom's because you'll be there so often.

It can get tricky if you ever pulled over / dealing with the Police. Typically they want very straight forward answers. "Do you live at this address on your ID?". If the answer is Yes, they usually keep going but if it's No, be prepared for explanation. If you never deal with Police, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally I moved 5 times in 7 years. I updated a handful of stuff I knew I needed (License, Bank, student loans, bills) but other stuff (websites, mailers, magazines, ads) I left as my parents. I'd see them a bunch and if it was ever important, I'd update it to my real address.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I will never again use USPS forwarding. I used my parent's address for a couple months while moving across country. They started forwarding ALL mail from that location instead of just with the correct name.
    My mom is still mad 4 years later.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I will never again use USPS forwarding. I used my parent's address for a couple months while moving across country. They started forwarding ALL mail from that location instead of just with the correct name.

Did you mail her an apology card?

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    I recently had to renew my license but forgot to update the address, so I'll get an address update once I have the new one since it's already on its way. I'll avoid mail forwarding and just change my address with the necessary businesses.

I'm assuming I don't have to update my address at the post office in order to update it on my license, is that right?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I recently had to renew my license but forgot to update the address, so I'll get an address update once I have the new one since it's already on its way. I'll avoid mail forwarding and just change my address with the necessary businesses.

I'm assuming I don't have to update my address at the post office in order to update it on my license, is that right?

No. You're fine without updating the post office.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Did you mail her an apology card?
    Yeah, but she keeps saying she hasn't received it.