As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Outdoor Christmas Lights - Between Strings?

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
I'm hanging outdoor Christmas along my house this year. If I need a gap of darkness along a strand of lights, is it safe to remove bulbs along that section or will water get in there and cause issues?

I want to do this for sections where a strand goes around my door and then over to the next window. I'd like the section between not to be lit.

Also, is it safe to have an outdoor extension cord between strands?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    an outdoor extension between strands would work, but you'll have a hard time finding one short enough. It would probably be better to just string them in a way that does not include this gap.

Typically the lights won't work if you have more than a couple bulbs missing or burnt out.

Perhaps you can put one string up from one side of the house and one string up from another? This would work if you have two different outlets to plug into.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Some sets have little plugs you can buy for individual light sockets if you remove the bulb.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys. It looks like they may specifically prevent it by making the female end of light strings non polarized. Any extension cord male end is going to have one prong larger so would never go into the female end of a string.

Looks like I'll be running another extension cord up!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Any chance just having the spot you want darkened be just a separate color of bulbs would differentiate it enough? or was it more of a bulb heat concern than aesthetics?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Any chance just having the spot you want darkened be just a separate color of bulbs would differentiate it enough? or was it more of a bulb heat concern than aesthetics?

Purely aesthetic. But all strings I'm using are white. I did end up just running extension cords down beside the gutter, so all is well. Just strange that they make lights that way.

I even went to Home Depot to explain and the guy didn't believe me. He went and opened a package and was shocked they do that.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Depending on the type of lights you have, on some of them you can just remove the light from the wire and seal the tear.

What is this I don't even.