As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    "know" in the Biblical sense

Look, i was locked in my room and this handsome beam of light showed up and one thing led to another...

Look, Zeus (and Poseidon) get a bad rap for their bedroom antics, but how many fire-breathing monster bulls and hydras and whatnot do you see running around nowadays? None.

Their kids may've come from unconventional families but they tended to get shit done. I think we can all extend a little tolerance given that.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    "know" in the Biblical sense

Look, i was locked in my room and this handsome beam of light showed up and one thing led to another...

Look, Zeus (and Poseidon) get a bad rap for their bedroom antics, but how many fire-breathing monster bulls and hydras and whatnot do you see running around nowadays? None.

Their kids may've come from unconventional families but they tended to get shit done. I think we can all extend a little tolerance given that.

So much like alcohol, the Olympian Gods are the cause of and solution to Greek problems?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dragonborn are pretty dope. I love kinda non-standard races. I'm glad we talked about gnolls too because gnolls are rad and hyenas are cuties.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hyenas were my primary makeup inspiration for Halloween and I looked at so many pictures of them. They're so great.

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    Humans will bang anything

this is why we have STDS

Humans are an STD.

They are not a true people, but an infection among the true people. The species' true form is contorted, musculature dwindles or increases, height is reduced or increased, skintone shifts towards shades of beige and brown, eyes become dull and limited in their palette. Lifespans are shortened drastically, magical acumen is stunted, and many natural talents are weakened or lost entirely.

The first human cities were quarantine colonies for afflicted dwarves and gnomes, who suffer a particular vulnerability to humanity. An infected dwarf or an infected gnome is born fully humanized. Elves, orcs, dragons, and other more potent creatures are able to at least partially resist the infection, though tell-tale symptoms are still present and as-of-yet incurable.

Humanity's origin is unknown. Many blame halflings, given their distinctly human appearance, while many others claim that it has non-sapient origins. Gnolls have been pointed to as a possible contamination of local canoid wild-life which then spread the disease to local dwarf and gnome populations.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I like to think a half-dwarf would just be a really tall dwarf.

Shit, is that what Vikings were?

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Dark sun had half dwarfs. They were hairless (Thinking about this I have no idea why) muscly kind-of-stout-but-less-stout-than-a-dwarf people.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    DE?AD wrote: »

this is why we have STDS

Humans are an STD.

They are not a true people, but an infection among the true people. The species' true form is contorted, musculature dwindles or increases, height is reduced or increased, skintone shifts towards shades of beige and brown, eyes become dull and limited in their palette. Lifespans are shortened drastically, magical acumen is stunted, and many natural talents are weakened or lost entirely.

The first human cities were quarantine colonies for afflicted dwarves and gnomes, who suffer a particular vulnerability to humanity. An infected dwarf or an infected gnome is born fully humanized. Elves, orcs, dragons, and other more potent creatures are able to at least partially resist the infection, though tell-tale symptoms are still present and as-of-yet incurable.

Humanity's origin is unknown. Many blame halflings, given their distinctly human appearance, while many others claim that it has non-sapient origins. Gnolls have been pointed to as a possible contamination of local canoid wild-life which then spread the disease to local dwarf and gnome populations.

I'd play the hell out of this game of Fantasy Pandemic.

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

this is why we have STDS

Humans are an STD.

Humanity was created by the Hobgoblins as a bioweapon. The infection was designed to spread to elves and dwarves, robbing them of their longevity, and "bringing them low, that they might learn to kneel."

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    RawrBear wrote: »
    Dark sun had half dwarfs. They were hairless (Thinking about this I have no idea why) muscly kind-of-stout-but-less-stout-than-a-dwarf people.

Muls right? Weren't they also sterile like a lot of real world hybrids are?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Muls right? Weren't they also sterile like a lot of real world hybrids are?

Yea, and I think typically resulted in the death of their mother to add that super extra emo bit on top.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Dragonborn are pretty dope. I love kinda non-standard races. I'm glad we talked about gnolls too because gnolls are rad and hyenas are cuties.

Dragonborn are like worse kobolds :P. They aren't nearly as adorable.

Edit: and yeah I think it was pronounced "Mule" and like actual mules they couldn't reproduce... and they were mostly bread as slaves cause they were stronker than humans.. or somthing... thinking about it now dark sun was weird.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    also, why is it so goddamn hard to find professionally recorded sea shanties? you'd think the navy choir or some naval school's glee club would be all over that shit but as far as i've found it's all friggin cell phone videos from pirate-themed renaissance festivals and shit.

• Options

this is why we have STDS

Humans are an STD.

Humanity was created by the Hobgoblins as a bioweapon. The infection was designed to spread to elves and dwarves, robbing them of their longevity, and "bringing them low, that they might learn to kneel."

My character pitch is a half-elven cartographer and war veteran who has been commissioned by the Elven Queen to find a cure for the disease, due to the recent (and secret) birth of her heir, a half elven boy. He's been licensed to equip and supply a team of alchemists, warriors, and naturalists to go on a quest through hostile territory to retrieve the one thing that can reputedly cure the disease.

• Options
    Had another session of my local university pathfinder tournament thing on the weekend.

Playing a strength kobold continues to be a blast... somehow rolled high enough to break out of a huge dragon pinning me with it's foot after it crash landed on me... which was worth it just for the mental image of my little kobold bench pressing the dragon off of her.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    also, why is it so goddamn hard to find professionally recorded sea shanties? you'd think the navy choir or some naval school's glee club would be all over that shit but as far as i've found it's all friggin cell phone videos from pirate-themed renaissance festivals and shit.

There's a Assassin's Creed Black Flag Shanty soundtrack on Amazon.

• Options

yeah, and it's not bad, but i've found through my research that one of the most important things about being hired on to a sailing vessel was actually whether or not you could sing, because holy shit how else do we fill a bazillion hours at sea and stop fucking up the harmonies in the third chorus RONNIE.

and the AC3 shanties kinda sound like shit, some of em. some of em are dope as hell. i may end up making a custom youtube playlist of the stuff i've found so far.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    @Solar

I found some old construction paper laying around.

Making some simple terrain to proxy some infinity stuff now!

Hopefully later tonight I can get my brother to try it out with me. He's into the paper terrain idea already. Though obviously construction paper isn't going to hold up like cardstock will, we'll have to pick some of that up soon.

Any ideas for some basic lists to try out? Haqqislam is what I am into my brother seems to like yujing or pan-Oceania.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Oh hello secret hitler is out

You can even buy it on Amazon!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Anyone else remember that diplomacy/zombie forum game we played like a year ago

Man I want that to come back

Start where we ended, with giant leviathans made of flesh roaming the land and half the world in flames

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I wrote up a very similar game but I had trouble finding co-hosts

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    You are a council running a small surviving town in west africa

You have to choose what you will focus on. Safe water? Going out to find food? Building defenses? What do you do when the generator goes out?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

yeah, and it's not bad, but i've found through my research that one of the most important things about being hired on to a sailing vessel was actually whether or not you could sing, because holy shit how else do we fill a bazillion hours at sea and stop fucking up the harmonies in the third chorus RONNIE.

and the AC3 shanties kinda sound like shit, some of em. some of em are dope as hell. i may end up making a custom youtube playlist of the stuff i've found so far.

That's exactly why I didn't buy it, it's so inconsistent in quality. But thought I'd bring it up in case you hadnt heard of it.

I grew up in CT and spent MANY hours in Mystic where they have a maritime museum called Mystic Seaport and it's like heaven on earth for fans of sailing ships. They have at least a couple exhibits relating to sailing music along with live reenactments, and it's as amazing as you could ever ask for.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Oh hello secret hitler is out

You can even buy it on Amazon!

I have found it pretty much impossible to muster up enthusiasm for Secret Hitler since the election. The Secret Trump promo card I got when I picked it up at GenCon particularly hurts.

That said, glad I got some games in pre-election. It is a solid refinement of similar games, with very well-made components.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I didn't know they actually made a Secret Trump promo card.

I've come up with rules on how to use it, though!

Trump is included in addition to Hitler, to replace one of the fascist cards. Trump keeps his eyes closed while the regular fascists open their eyes. Trump also doesn't know who Hitler is. After everyone has opened their eyes, before the first election, the player who is Trump has to loudly declare "I'm Trump!"

Yes, this will mean that Trump will almost assuredly never be elected chancellor and probably not get approved to be president, either.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I didn't know they actually made a Secret Trump promo card.

I've come up with rules on how to use it, though!

Trump is included in addition to Hitler, to replace one of the fascist cards. Trump keeps his eyes closed while the regular fascists open their eyes. Trump also doesn't know who Hitler is. After everyone has opened their eyes, before the first election, the player who is Trump has to loudly declare "I'm Trump!"

Yes, this will mean that Trump will almost assuredly never be elected chancellor and probably not get approved to be president, either.

... and then everyone votes for Trump, "as a joke."

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Had another session of my local university pathfinder tournament thing on the weekend.

Playing a strength kobold continues to be a blast... somehow rolled high enough to break out of a huge dragon pinning me with it's foot after it crash landed on me... which was worth it just for the mental image of my little kobold bench pressing the dragon off of her.

Tournament?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

this is why we have STDS

Humans are an STD.

My character pitch is a half-elven cartographer and war veteran who has been commissioned by the Elven Queen to find a cure for the disease, due to the recent (and secret) birth of her heir, a half elven boy. He's been licensed to equip and supply a team of alchemists, warriors, and naturalists to go on a quest through hostile territory to retrieve the one thing that can reputedly cure the disease.

Mine is dwarven beauty - a talented musician and former escort who saw her friends and livelihood devestated by Humanity. She was recruited to help the team resist the wiles of Human carriers, as well as infiltrate quarantine zones for live observation.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

this is why we have STDS

Humans are an STD.

I don't which would be more interesting, this working, or it backfiring pretty powerfully in the faces of the Hobgoblins when they figure out how warlike, self-righteous and arrogant Humans can be as some sort of side effect of the infection on the minds of the infected

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

@Blake T

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    also fantasy Pandemic sounds amazing

like instead of role cards you get a race card (how many actions/turn, what kinds of actions you can/can't take, etc) and then a class card (special abilities) and that defines your role

or a 5th ed campaign with Pandemic as its core premise

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Some of them are a little off from traditional ones but I think some are unaltered, but, the HP Lovecraft Historical Society did some sea shanties and I'd say they recording quality on them is pretty good:

https://store.hplhs.org/products/the-curious-sea-shanties-of-innsmouth-mass-cd

They've got samples up on the site.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    But isnt better to have had goats and lost them than to never have had goats at all

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

It's been a few months since we talked about it, we should reconnect on it.

As for Shanties, there are tons to find on Youtube, just depends on the ones you're looking for and how you want them to sound

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »
    @DaMoonRulz would it be too cruel for a one shot to have my regular table of people in real life play against people on Roll20 that are muted but can hear the room and play at least some of the monsters?

Beforehand I'd have the layout of the dungeon set up and then give the Monster Players an amount of creatures that would be a correct challenge rating for their zones in the dungeon. Then I tell the players that they've heard about this place and that roughly X monsters are inside. Then they have some time to plan and I DM like normal, while keeping an eye on Roll20 chat to see what the monsters want and are rolling. Too much? I'd almost need a Co-DM for that.

To those that liked this idea:

Would it be more compelling or fun for you if this were...
    A) Player Adventurers vs Player Monsters (Hey, these goblins are smart and tired of getting beaten!)
    B) Player Adventurers vs Player Adventurers vs DM Monsters (Elf party and Dwarf party trying to excavate same ruins, or just murder hobos doing their thing)
    C) Player Adventurers controlling DM Minions vs Player Adventurers controlling DM Minions (Guilds of New York style trying to control a village/neighborhood (with this idea I'd be inclined to use modified mass combat rules and give each player their own squad based on their class selection))

This is for a one shot that will be the last time we get to.play with one of our players/DMs.

A, or possibly B depending on the story for rival adventuring parties. Playing a crew of Goblins or Kobolds Home Aloning a dungeon would be pretty great though.

Well the kobold angle gives the monsters access to setting up the traps in the dungeon like you mentioned, which would be both devious and creatively enticing.

If B I'd probably go with a dragon's hoard or a mummy lord with a boss at the end that they can't likely beat without each other but there'd still be good loot outside and two entrances to the dungeon. It would be like Munchkin, racing to loot the room.

Edit: The other B idea would be Adventurers resting in the tavern of a village at night when it's attacked by a small Drow raiding party.

Edit: Or an evil group consisting of Death Cleric, Necromancer, and Oathbreaker Paladin trying to run amok. Red Dragonborn with kobold servants would be fun too.

Dragonborn champion of Tiamat and Kobold minions would be a delightful way to run that party I think (I'd be happy either as the constantly frustrated Dragonborn cum Saturday morning cartoon villain or one of it's bumbling servants) Fighting with adventurers over a newly discovered lost treasure in some crazy ass dungeon.

Then again, dungeon monsters also has it's charms. I'm up for it either way, keep me posted with details!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options

As for Shanties, there are tons to find on Youtube, just depends on the ones you're looking for and how you want them to sound

The big problem I'm having is finding some that are higher recording quality than a cell phone video in a factory that apparently just makes echoes.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Some of them are a little off from traditional ones but I think some are unaltered, but, the HP Lovecraft Historical Society did some sea shanties and I'd say they recording quality on them is pretty good:

https://store.hplhs.org/products/the-curious-sea-shanties-of-innsmouth-mass-cd

They've got samples up on the site.

This isn't exactly what I'm looking for as far as my campaign goes, but it's still pretty incredible.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

The big problem I'm having is finding some that are higher recording quality than a cell phone video in a factory that apparently just makes echoes.

pirates don't give a shit about recording fidelity

now vitamin c, that's a different story

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

pirates don't give a shit about recording fidelity

now vitamin c, that's a different story

Obviously

A pirate's first love is the c

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.