As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    i have no real idea who that is or what they did?

basically, I want something with clean aesthetic lines, reasonably small and light 2 door something like 2500-3000 lb, smallish engine like a small NA v8 or straight 6 probably around 300hp, front engine rear wheel drive (ish), with modern safety standards and durability. And no stupid extra electronic bullshit.

So an LS-swapped 86 with the traction control stripped out?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    He also did this to a DeLorean:

mw1dzqd28ija.jpg

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    That almost sounds, at least to my ears, like a reboot of the original roadster-y Corvette. I dig it (and have waxed poetic about the idea before).

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    i have no real idea who that is or what they did?

basically, I want something with clean aesthetic lines, reasonably small and light 2 door something like 2500-3000 lb, smallish engine like a small NA v8 or straight 6 probably around 300hp, front engine rear wheel drive (ish), with modern safety standards and durability. And no stupid extra electronic bullshit.

So an LS-swapped 86 with the traction control stripped out?

Or LS swapped MX-5 if you want the bees in your hair. Or strip out a Z4M.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    that DeLorean is way too fucking busy, but on the level of very basic porportions it looks like kinda the right direction for me.

but seriously though it looks like the designer just started tacking on useless plastic folds and junk until the guy said "Yes this is what I want."

To me, aesthetically a lot of modern cars end up feeling like a bar of soap. They're a big bland oval, with a canopy stuck on for the people to be in. Some cars are better than others, to be sure, but it's hard to get completely away from. And LS is probably more motor, and heavier, than I'd personally want.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    that DeLorean is way too fucking busy, but on the level of very basic porportions it looks like kinda the right direction for me.

but seriously though it looks like the designer just started tacking on useless plastic folds and junk until the guy said "Yes this is what I want."

To me, aesthetically a lot of modern cars end up feeling like a bar of soap. They're a big bland oval, with a canopy stuck on for the people to be in. Some cars are better than others, to be sure, but it's hard to get completely away from. And LS is probably more motor, and heavier, than I'd personally want.

The stock FA20 motor and gearbox weighs 480 pounds. A stock 430 horsepower LS3 crate motor weighs weighs 415 pounds according to the Chevy Performance Parts catalogue. The Super Magnum version of the Tremec T56 transmission weighs 135 pounds. Move the battery from the engine bay to the boot and the car's f/r weight balance would be so close to stock as to be indiscernible.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    custom-car-00.jpg
    EDIT: Image spoiled for size

Pop star and former lead of the Black Eyed Peas. Took a Beetle and turned it into an LS3-powered personal chariot to the tune of $900k

This strikes me as someone who is completely unaware Morgan Motor Cars exists and that you can buy a better looking version of that off the lot for 1/10th the price.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    part of that strikes me as having business sense akin to Parks and Rec's Tom Haverford (albeit with a bit more room for the overhead) - it's about making a brand, baby

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    oh oh we're doing excess money cars now? I would go find my old Saab 9-2x, buy it back, and take it to a well known Subaru performance shop for a full JDM EJ207 STI swap. Stage 2. About 350 whp. That'd be the winter beater.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    treat yo' self, while stayin on brand

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    A coworker and I spent much of an afternoon discussing this, so I'll share it with y'all.
    Money no object, what generic CEO car, 2017 model year, weighing over 4,000 pounds do you buy?

Our answers were:
    BWM Alpina B7
    Audi Q7
    Mercedes-Benz AMG G65

A coworker and I spent much of an afternoon discussing this, so I'll share it with y'all.
    Money no object, what generic CEO car, 2017 model year, weighing over 4,000 pounds do you buy?

Our answers were:
    BWM Alpina B7
    Audi Q7
    Mercedes-Benz AMG G65

Since the Alpina is on there as a "generic" option I'm going with the BMW M760Li X-Drive. Twin-turbo V12, all-wheel drive, features and interior space for days.

We found that, broadly speaking, in order to hit the weight floor you have to have the ridiculous up-market versions.

Hm, how 'bout that W12 Phaeton for maximum generic

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i think if I had unlimited money i would try to get the 2015 Mercedes SLS AMG

mostly because that was my favorite GT3 racecar from that era

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular

Our answers were:
    BWM Alpina B7
    Audi Q7
    Mercedes-Benz AMG G65

CTS-V

mRahmani wrote: »

Our answers were:
    BWM Alpina B7
    Audi Q7
    Mercedes-Benz AMG G65

CTS-V

Also a good choice.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i think the new CTS-V is soooooo ugly

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Porsche Panamera or Maserati Quattroporte

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Gah, talk about ugly...

The new Panamera looks better than the old one, that's for sure.

I've always thought the Quattroporte was just fine. Not exceptional design but also not ugly by any means. I have a hard time telling it apart from the Ghibli at a distance though.

I just don't like Maserati at all, I've found. They're fancy and powerful but without having the poise of a Jaguar or Aston Martin, or the precision of a Merc, Audi, or BMW, so they're just kinda loud and shiny.

Wow, totally missed the Quattroporte. I think that's a really good pick for the crowd that has money to throw around, and also no real eye for cars.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016

Our answers were:
    BWM Alpina B7
    Audi Q7
    Mercedes-Benz AMG G65

There's a Bentley dealer near my office, so I'd probably get a Flying Spur W12 S (5500 lbs with a 4.2s 0-60) or Continental GT Speed.

Actual answer is probably an AMG S63. 4800 lbs and a 3.9 0-60.

a5ehren on
    edited November 2016
    I wonder what the depreciation is like on Bentley Continental GT's. The older models look almost identical to the new ones that anyone not intimately familiar with the model wouldn't be able to tell one that's 3-5 years (or older) from the recent revision. GT's are very much a car for rich people who don't know anything about cars who just want to show off how much money they have.

I realize it's not a new car but going to the CPO market opens up the possibilities of Bentley's, Mercedes S-class, and possibly other cars that originally sold for a lot more.

Cormac on
    edited November 2016
    The cheapest one within 30 miles of LA is a 2005 with 68k miles for $48k.

jgeis on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular

Our answers were:
    BWM Alpina B7
    Audi Q7
    Mercedes-Benz AMG G65

M-B E63 AMG S Wagon

Accept no substitutes.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Give me a Tesla P100D. Not sure of the weight, but it'll be more than the P85D, at 4,900 lb.

0-60 in 2.5 seconds.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    BMW 535 GT

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    How 'generic' a CEO chariot is a Phantom? Because I'd get an LWB Phantom.

• stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    sometimes I wonder what my garage would look like if I had the stability and the wallet (not to mention the good rapport with an insurance company, which I decidedly do not have for now) to go stormbringer mode

my answer based on my latest craigslist searches would probably be an absolutely dumb number of bikes, plus an oddball car or five, one restomodded hunk of Detroit steel, and a Subaru RS wagon (with a few sleepery mods so as to be mostly tasteful) as daily driver

I have owned basically everything at this point. My favorite car to drive is still a well modified Miata or S2000. I still love my 55 Thunderbird more then anything costing 10x the price. Expensive does not equal good. Plus I buy and sell so some of the really expensive stuff in the fleet is a flip car. I am so not holding onto a MP4 or 650S for any length of time longer then I can make money.

But money no object had to buy one for the rest of my life and it had to be new. Totally would do a RR Dawn convertible in TDF blue on saddle interior.

Anything out of history, for the track the 1973 917K.

For the road the 1935 57s Bugatti special.

I just wish I lived near a road with curves in it. I looked up how far away Tail of the Dragon is from my area, and it's friggin 18 hours. Each way. What I wouldn't give for a nice curvy back road to just drive on.

Krieghund wrote: »
    I just wish I lived near a road with curves in it. I looked up how far away Tail of the Dragon is from my area, and it's friggin 18 hours. Each way. What I wouldn't give for a nice curvy back road to just drive on.

When I lived in Michigan there were a decent number of curvy roads thanks to the hilly terrain in SW Michigan, but the road surface quality was pretty terrible on those back roads.

Whereas here in Los Angeles all the roads in the city (freeways included) are absolutely terrible but the canyon roads are beautifully paved ribbons of fun.

edited December 2016
    I forget who the VW tech is, but my 2010 GTI is giving me a P2015 code which, come to find out, it a faulty manifold part. It looks like VW issued an extended 10 years/120,000 mile warranty on the part a few years ago, but I'm not sure my car is eligible for it. If it's something that can be checked via the VIN number I can always give a VW warranty help a call and hope the local dealership will honor it even with my car having an APR tune.

Cormac on
    It's like five hours from my house to Jacksonville, and I haven't even gotten out of Florida yet. The first hills from the Appalachians don't start until the very tip of north Georgia, and even then to get someplace good you have to get up into the Carolinas. But hey, our roads are pristine compared to anyplace that actually gets weather.

I think LA has bad roads solely because they can't perform as much maintenance as is required because a) the roads are overtaxed with the growing population here and b) closing a lane/roads causes crazy congestion because of point a.

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Cormac wrote: »
    I forget who the VW tech is, but my 2010 GTI is giving me a P2015 code which, come to find out, it a faulty manifold part. It looks like VW issued an extended 10 years/120,000 mile warranty on the part a few years ago, but I'm not sure my car is eligible for it. If it's some that can be checked via the VIN number I can always give a call and hope the local dealership will honor it even with my car having an APR tune.

VW tech here. Give me your VIN and I can check if it's covered. Don't even mention the tune even though it doesn't really have anything to do with the intake manifold runner.

msuitepyon on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Replaced the whole windshield wiper arm on the Civic, and it cleans off the windshield wiper fluid pretty well. Was very simple, except that I had to buy a whole new blade because the old blade basically fused with the old arm. Not even joking. I basically started to get into "destroy it to remove it" mode, and realized that it was unsalvagable.
    Thanks for the suggestion, @chrishallett83

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    So, the link is busted, but apparently Rosberg is retiring now.

pimento wrote: »
    So, the link is busted, but apparently Rosberg is retiring now.

This one should work http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/12/02/rosberg-stuns-f1-announcing-retirement/

I may not like Rosberg but I have to respect him for retiring at his peak. Putting his family and raising his daughter ahead of his career is something very people, especially those in his position, would ever do. I hope that someday we'll see him back racing in some discipline, and I'll bet it'll be some form of WEC where he can still race at a high level but have an actual life outside of racing.

I cant deny though that it's going to be fascinating to see who's going to replace him. Likely Pascal Wehrlein but maybe even Ocon if he or Mercedes can get him out of his Force India contract.

This discussion has been closed.