As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Urgent Roofing solutions

Edward CharetteEdward Charette Registered User regular
edited December 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
I was wondering whether anyone on the penny-arcade forum would be able to help me with roofing suggestions. The present roofing I have at home is quite old, somewhere around 10 years old. They are in real bad shape and its high time I get it replaced with good ones. Need suggestins on the best roofing solutions. I found few roofing designs like the custom copper roof toronto, at roof lines east inc, but they seem to be expensive. Can anyone help me with the cost estimate? The image I saw is attached. bkw9ri2tp4g3.jpg

Iruka on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    $15-20 per square foot for copper, asphalt shingle is about $1-2 you mention Toronto, but that's in USD so prices may vary. Metal roofs other than copper are roughly $7-10 per square foot.

I'm not sure I would do copper roofing (seems ornate rather than structural), but in general typical metal roofs last 50 years vs asphalt's 10-15.

Edit: I assume you live in the north somewhere, so snow/hail/sleet is a real possibility, I'd avoid anything but metal or asphalt shingles. Metal will add the pitter-patter/clinking of rain so you may not enjoy that. But that's something you get used to for the lifespan on it. You can also add in sound proofing to help reduce it, but it won't make too much of a difference.

double edit: looks like copper has about the same/longer lifespan as normal metal roofs, plus it gets a green patina after several years, so, up to you!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    10 years isn't very old for a roof. 20-30 years is pretty standard.

• Options
    Depends on where you live: 10 is how long an asphalt is "guaranteed" (when to start looking for damage, not an actual guarantee) to last in the north, 15 is average lifespan, 20 is exceptional

If you don't get a ton of snow, 20 is average

Ours never really lasted longer than 15, but my dad might have just been super anal about his shingles.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So, I just had roofing work done after the hurricane and did a bunch of research. I also am friends with quite a few roofers from my interior design days! Here's what I know:

Copper (and way more affordably metal sheet roofing) are still way more expensive than you will likely want to spend. For a ~1700sq ft home with garage in my state they run 20k-40k for installation and thats usually not counting labor, just materials. Asphalt is usually ~7k for the cheapest shit and can go up to 18-20k for the highest quality stuff. Wood shakes and Spanish tile usually run somewhere in between metal and asphalt's range. For cold weather locations, usually you will want wood shakes or metal sheet (which get up there in price).

Keep in mind the cost is going to be dependent upon your roofing square footage, degree of slope, and complexity. A simple A frame house can be cheaper than a complicated multi-leveled roof... unless it is at a very steep! You are paying for materials and labor but ~also~ the insurance and risk mitigation for the laborers. Roofing can be pretty dangerous!

A copper roof is a crazy luxury item, you want something along the lines of these if you go metal:
    Why-Switching-to-a-Metal-Roof-is-More-Important-than-Ever-2.jpg

It's cheaper and easier to replace if you get impact damage. A good metal roof will last probably longer than your life (a metal roof is usually guaranteed for 30-50 years and can last for twice that with only minor repairs) yet at the same time it is very, very expensive. There is a reason most non-commercial properties usually use wooden shakes (cold weather) or asphalt (usually in temperate/tropical climates). Common opinion is usually that wooden shakes hold up better to snow than asphalt but there are a wide range of opinions there. Most commercial business these days just go ahead and do metal roofing due to the cost saving of having to pay for 5 or 6 asphalt roves over the time of the property, but they usually have the money they can put down. It's a very expensive thing and usually difficult to finance unless your property is considerably valuable to begin with.

Before replacing your roof, look up local roofing companies with solid BBB ratings and get a few quotes. A good roofing company will give you a range of options as part of a free estimate, usually including:
    • Minimum recover: assuming you just patch what needs patching, re-sheaf your plumbing vents, etc. it will range you $X (for my house it was about $1300 for general repairs and patching, along with some replacements to our wood frames)
    • Total replacement with cheapest material: $ (We were estimated ~8,000ish for cheapest asphalt tile)
    • Total replacement with our recommended material: $Z (~12,000 was for the quality we wanted to go with if we did the best quality asphalt layered sheeting)

In many cases, a good roofing company will give you a roof life span in their estimate. If they think you have another 3-4 years if you do some patching you may well do. If you own your property, after getting your repairs done it is usually worth it (regardless of roof type) to have professional roof cleaning once a year (especially with get asphalt). This should almost never be pressure-washing, instead it is a chemical treatment to kill whatever is growing on the tiles (bacteria/mold/moss is a big problem in FL). It's also an opportunity to have someone identify divots and squirrel or bird damage. Again, these are big FL problems, so I have no idea what Canada roofing issues might primarily be.

Good luck, and get lots of quotes before going in.

Enc on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Depends on where you live: 10 is how long an asphalt is "guaranteed" (when to start looking for damage, not an actual guarantee) to last in the north, 15 is average lifespan, 20 is exceptional

Ours never really lasted longer than 15, but my dad might have just been super anal about his shingles.

In FL estimated age is ~14 years, plus or minus 3. 20 would be amazing.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    10 years isn't very old for a roof. 20-30 years is pretty standard.

Yeah, you don't get 20-30 years out of a roof in Canada. You're lucky to get 15 oftentimes.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Enc wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

In FL estimated age is ~14 years, plus or minus 3. 20 would be amazing.

The grit goes away fast once you hit 15.

bowen on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Some of the comments in here are bizarro to me living in Canada. It is extremely rare for me to see a house that is NOT asphalt shingles. Also, I'm pretty sure most people get ~20 years out of their shingles.

Maybe the right advice is highly location dependent? In that case OP may be better off calling some local contractors and getting some ideas/prices from them.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    man, I had no idea roofing was so different in other areas =p

for the record, I live in MD and my dads roof is original to the house when he built it .... in 1978

no leaks aside from around the chimney flashing!

edit: he was the contractor though and used the best materials money could buy at the time

Xaquin on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Oh shit I missed out on this.

@Edward Charette I just have a question. Are you looking for quick and cheap? Quick and long lasting? Quick and fancy.
    Let's build us a quick budget.
    Cost per hour of roofer labor. 25 Canadian dollars an hour (it might as well be monopoly money).
    Overhead and taxes for Canadian projects is about 49% and 20% is for fringe
    We'll slide in 10% G&A and 10% profit.
    Fully Loaded labor rate 54.09, we'll round up to 55 cd
    Superintendent salary 90,000 Canadian dollars a year
    Fully Loaded superintendent labor rate 93 cd

For an shingle roof the time line should be a day to redo the whole damn thing, for metal or stone roofs about 2 days. If the roof is super fucked up or has weird slopes the cost goes up.
    Shingle roof labor cost about 2600 Canadian Dollars
    Metal/stone roof labor cost about 5200 Canadian Dollars

Material Costs to do 20 square shingle roof ~2400 Canadian Dollars
    Material Costs to do 20 square Copper roof ~9600 Canadian Dollars
    Material Costs to do 20 square Aluminum roof ~4600 Canadian Dollars
    Material Costs to do 20 square Clay tile roof ~16800 Canadian Dollars (but looks sweet as fuck)
    Material Costs to do 20 square galvalume roof ~5040 Candian Dollars

Assume a 10% waste factor
    Assume 1100 Canadian dollars for dumpster, low cost materials such as nails, disposal and permitting

Asphalt Shingle roof cost 6340, or roughly 3.17 square foot installed
    Copper roof cost 16860, or roughly 8.43 square foot installed
    Aluminum roof cost 11360, or roughly 5.68 square foot installed
    Clay tile roof ~24780, or roughly 12.39 square foot installed (but still sweet as fuck)
    Galvalume roof ~ 11840, or roughly 5.92 square foot installed

Square stands for 100 square feet

Canadian Market is different from US Market so rough estimates may be way off. If your roof under the copper needs to be braced, or repaired from significant damage, look for another 3k-7k on top of that.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    in Florida an asphault roof is generally said to go 10 years

and some home insurance companies will charge you a premium if your roof is older than 10 years. just a tidbit.

That's hurricane related though. If you lived in the interior US I would imagine 20 would be attainable

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    in Florida an asphault roof is generally said to go 10 years

and some home insurance companies will charge you a premium if your roof is older than 10 years. just a tidbit.

That's hurricane related though. If you lived in the interior US I would imagine 20 would be attainable

Depends on the roof construction, but generally yeah. If you are weather rated and had an inspection you can push beyond 10 years.

• Options
    Something else to remembers is that asphalt as a roofing material is a North American only thing (for the most part)! God bless reusing tar sands.

Most of the rest of the world uses wooden or slate shakes as the cheaper materials.

• Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    There are two different kinds of asphalt shingle roofs. The crappy ones last 15-20 years. The good ones last 20-30 years.

http://roofpedia.com/architectural-shingles-vs-3-tab-shingles/

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    might as well just put on a metal roof at that price point though

This discussion has been closed.