As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Flash]: New New Season

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, Supergirl's last episode was kinda lame and this episode was too.

Makes me wonder if the 4 night crossover prep didn't fuck up every one of the shows.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Makes me wonder if the 4 night crossover prep didn't fuck up every one of the shows.

With how the Supergirl crossover worked out, I'm bottoming out my expectations and only anticipating this four episode deal will start in the last 30 seconds of one show ("We need your help!") and conclude in the first 5 minutes of the fourth show where they wrap up their schwarma date and part ways.

I am also prepared for one show to be a week out of sync.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular

With how the Supergirl crossover worked out, I'm bottoming out my expectations and only anticipating this four episode deal will start in the last 30 seconds of one show ("We need your help!") and conclude in the first 5 minutes of the fourth show where they wrap up their schwarma date and part ways.

With Flash skipping election night, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

camo_sig2.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Savitar, actually.

Going for "Savage," then?

OMG Savitar is Vandal Savage

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

I think they've actually confirmed the first part of that.
    I'm sure I've read that Supergirl's coverage of it is one scene at the end where Flash comes recruiting, otherwise it's a normal episode.

edit:
    The fact that the next Supergirl episode is called 'Medusa', while the titles of the next episode for the other three shows are all 'Invasion!' would back that up.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Kevin Smith talking on Facebook live about Flash just before the episode air.

WARNING! I think he spoils a few things, even through he tries not to.

https://youtu.be/qob91ZQ5TgM

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I don't know about you guys, but I am shocked! Shocked that
    the guy Barry keeps spending half the episodes going on about how he has a lot to learn from him and needs to listen to him more and agrees to study under is actually secretly evil.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Maybe the "again" thing actually means he wasn't for a while. Idk. Meh. Bleh.

Evil Caitlin brought up a lot of good points which was nice but it still doesn't the excuse the poor logic.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    the guy Barry keeps spending half the episodes going on about how he has a lot to learn from him and needs to listen to him more and agrees to study under is actually secretly evil.

Except he was just sucking up to a racist asshole( who almost shot a kid ) so he'd get off his back not legitimately interested in a mentor relationship

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    That should be a litmus test for Team Flash, he's their evil mentor detector.
    Maybe the "again" thing actually means he wasn't for a while. Idk. Meh. Bleh.

Evil Caitlin brought up a lot of good points which was nice but it still doesn't the excuse the poor logic.

Evil Caitlin is his mentor now.

Harry Dresden on
    Why did no-one make the argument to Joe that they know what happens to people in those husk things?
    People come out of it with powers, but they're fine.
    And since they manged to talk one bad one into being good, and Wally is not messed up in the first place, and was actually a good guy in Flashpoint, why fight it?
    Joe's gotta Joe, I guess.
    Hopefully when something goes wrong, Caitlin can turn Frosty enough to tell him it's because someone cut him out before he was done.

I think that
    Julian's problem with Metahumans comes from being Alchemy once before. He gave Metahumans powers but could never have them himself. But now Savatar has a few Alchemys but the metahumans aren't coming out right, like Magenta. Julian, however, creates better Metahumans, ones who aren't having split personalities or just plain suck.

But I feel like we are just redoing Zoom at the end, but instead of portals to Earth-2, now we are making metas from Flashpoint but they haven't thought it out beyond that. Worst, I think they aren't wanting to commit to something until after the crossover, like AoS didn't really want to commit until Winter Soldier had played out.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Why did no-one make the argument to Joe that they know what happens to people in those husk things?
    People come out of it with powers, but they're fine.
    And since they manged to talk one bad one into being good, and Wally is not messed up in the first place, and was actually a good guy in Flashpoint, why fight it?
    Joe's gotta Joe, I guess.
    Hopefully when something goes wrong, Caitlin can turn Frosty enough to tell him it's because someone cut him out before he was done.
    Joe did immediately regret doing what he did in this week's episode. He's just lucky that Caitlin is ridiculously good at her job.

sig.gif
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So that was so bad, like jesus this show. Whatever happened to the fun superman like flash of season 1? And another too fast bad guy? Christ sake flash writers. I mean Oliver finds less evil archers and archery is like an actual skill people can just have...

The whole Caitlin thing was just awful from every view point. Just have her be the random side piece of the eventual bad guy please, that's better than this.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    That was a good episode of The Flash, regardless of all the drama.

So many secrets finally out in the open.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Cisco's getting really good at the whole loudly asking "When are you going to tell them your secret?" while in front of the people who don't know the secret.

Really hoping that eventually someone answers "When I'm good and ready".

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Cisco's getting really good at the whole loudly asking "When are you going to tell them your secret?" while in front of the people who don't know the secret.

I mean they could have just politely acted like they couldn't hear him like they did when Oliver was mouthing to Barry what the team should do first.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Barry did have a good question though. Where is Snart?
    I mean, I remember being psyched about the actor getting his contract updated to allow him to have a bigger role across all of the Arrow shows, but IIRC, he hasn't shown up at all since the whole Time Master incident.

Just saying, there's been enough timey wimey, wibbley wobbley shenanigans to explain him coming back somehow, right?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Barry did have a good question though. Where is Snart?
    I mean, I remember being psyched about the actor getting his contract updated to allow him to have a bigger role across all of the Arrow shows, but IIRC, he hasn't shown up at all since the whole Time Master incident.

Just saying, there's been enough timey wimey, wibbley wobbley shenanigans to explain him coming back somehow, right?

Well, there was that holographic cameo back during the Mirror Master episode...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Wow, I just googled the original depiction of the Dominators from the comics.

It's super racist.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Watching this show makes me so sad about the DC live action movies. The perfect formula for DC live action already exists and yet. . .

steam_sig.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Glad they brought back the news article from the future.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    edited November 2016
    LostNinja wrote: »

I mean they could have just politely acted like they couldn't hear him like they did when Oliver was mouthing to Barry what the team should do first.

C'mon when someone (Speedy?) said if they should ignore Oliver it was hilarious, as well as Canary's reaction.

edit: The scene where Oliver meets Kara is the Superman/Batman first encounter I've wanted to see that's true to both characters I've been waiting for since Dawn of Justice failed miserably.

Harry Dresden on
    Why do they constantly acknowledge that keeping secrets from people is going to blow up in their faces (like it has all those other times before), then keep on doing it? It's crossing into parody at this point.
    I also wouldn't blame Wally if he teaches himself how to open a breach to Earth 2 and just goes to live there, since everyone from this Earth is being a dick to him.

I did like Supergirl just floating there grinning while they throw everything at her.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Wally is constantly forgetting all the bad things that happen to him (car accidents, getting killed, you know little stuff) mainly because he has poor decision making skills like Barry, but not the speed or training to counter balance it. And he stops just like Barry too so gets taken out first time anyone even remotely capable of it shows up. And asks the writer to train him because HR sure knows how to train a speedster or what to monitor to make sure he's OK or what to do if he's not.

Wally fucking around with opening portals is exactly the kind of thing he'll do and let monsters in. KID Flash should listen to his name. Or fuckoff to Earth 2.

Oh hey! It's not Barry who fucked everything up in the future, it's Wally being Wally! This explains everything.

Xeddicus on
    Newest episode was super great, even if
    the Hall of Justice

was the largest shoehorn ever.

sig.gif
    edited November 2016
    Newest episode was super great, even if
    the Hall of Justice

was the largest shoehorn ever.

I actually enjoyed how much of a camero/afterthought it was.
    Barry not being comfortable with just how wealthy he actually is now is kinda interesting. He just owns STAR Labs and a bunch of crazy-looking properties, but he still lives in an apartment or whatever.

For his part, H.R. actually has a pretty good idea about re-opening STAR Labs to the public. There is a lot of fear and mistrust about metahumans out there, and maybe if there were more understanding about the science involved, fewer metas would turn to a life of crime.

I felt for poor Dig. I would be crushed to find out that I once had a little daughter that now never existed. Oliver deserved that scorn for defending Barry. THIS is why Rip Hunter didn't choose Ollie as a Legend. He cannot be trusted with time travel.

EDIT: This episode just convinced me that we need an XCOM: Arrowverse game.

Dracomicron on
    I'm slightly amused by the fact that Barry is probably now richer than Oliver (maybe? What's his financial situation now? I know he was supposed to be broke at some point, but it rarely came up).
    I felt for poor Dig. I would be crushed to find out that I once had a little daughter that now never existed. Oliver deserved that scorn for defending Barry. THIS is why Rip Hunter didn't choose Ollie as a Legend. He cannot be trusted with time travel.
    Dig's in more of a loss/gain situation. He's lost a daughter (who he never knew about), and 'gained' a son. And Stein's gained a daughter (though whether from flashpoint or some of the Legends time-malarkey is yet to be seen). Cisco's got the biggest reason to be pissed.
    And Sara's rant about her not taking all the opportunities to kill Darhk would have more weight if it weren't for all the times she tried to kill Darhk.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Highlight of the episode was seeing Oliver acting like a boss. He really is the center of the live action DCU, despite being the least least known character, so it's great to see that the writers showing him proper respect.

Arnell said in interviews that he had a hard time acting in this because the writers wanted him to act like a jerk to Supergirl despite the fact that he was absolutely smitten by her.

Stein is kind of an idiot. You've never heard of the internet? You can do a search on yourself to learn more about your personal life. Especially if you're a world renown academic. Also, why would you leave that recording on a separate voice recorder and leave that voice recorder behind, as opposed to, say... your phone?

I like that HR realized that training Wally in secret against the wishes of the group was not a good way to earn their trust.

Also, Barry: Why the heck didn't you ask Kara to delve into the Kryptonian archive to see if she had more info on the dominators before you left?

Stein is kind of an idiot.

Yes.

Also, Barry: Why the heck didn't you ask Kara to delve into the Kryptonian archive to see if she had more info on the dominators before you left?

They didn't really know what they were up against when Barry went to pick Kara up. I assume that crossing dimensions isn't trivial (Cisco took some damage when he gated to the waterfront last episode).

Plus, it's not like Barry knows about the Fortress of Solitude or any of the SuperEarth's other lore.

They didn't really know what they were up against when Barry went to pick Kara up. I assume that crossing dimensions isn't trivial (Cisco took some damage when he gated to the waterfront last episode).

Plus, it's not like Barry knows about the Fortress of Solitude or any of the SuperEarth's other lore.

They need to make this happen on the next crossover. Perhaps they can do a Flash/Supergirl crossover when he stays in her universe, to meet everyone. Barry discovers 9/10 of the male supporting cast has a crush on Kara.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They need to make it actual crossover in the Supergirl episode instead of just cut and pasting a scene from the real episode into hers.

And it be kind of hilarious if Oliver and Kara hook up and that of course gets back to Supergirl's cast because drama (I assume she's paired with someone kinda). It's on the CW now!

Xeddicus wrote: »
    They need to make it actual crossover in the Supergirl episode instead of just cut and pasting a scene from the real episode into hers.

And it be kind of hilarious if Oliver and Kara hook up and that of course gets back to Supergirl's cast because drama (I assume she's paired with someone kinda). It's on the CW now!

Supergirl spoilers
    Mon-El.

Yes.
    Yeah, all of his development is pretty much him becoming a normal/good person instead of the "blind" stodgy academic.

Theory
    Stein's half of Firestorm is going to suddenly stop working, and then the daughter is going to start accidentally transmuting stuff. She'll join with Jax, and all will be well.

sig.gif
    I assume that crossing dimensions isn't trivial (Cisco took some damage when he gated to the waterfront last episode).
    I think that was because he gated to somewhere else in his own Earth. I don't think he was ever that fazed when opening breaches to other Earths.
    There's an explanation I liked for jumping multiple universes (I think it was one of the Red Dwarf books):
    Going to a universe that's almost exactly like yours (and therefore 'closer') causes a kind of friction (which is what kills the version of Ace Rimmer who showed up there). So you aim for a universe that's more different than yours, and you survive the trip.
    I'm applying the same argument to this, unless they say otherwise.

Speculation for the next two crossover eps:
    I'm assuming that them saying 'they showed up in the 50s, then left for no known reason' is the same as saying 'you're going to go back to the 50s and kick their ass', right?

klemming wrote: »
    I assume that crossing dimensions isn't trivial (Cisco took some damage when he gated to the waterfront last episode).
    I think that was because he gated to somewhere else in his own Earth. I don't think he was ever that fazed when opening breaches to other Earths.
    There's an explanation I liked for jumping multiple universes (I think it was one of the Red Dwarf books):
    Going to a universe that's almost exactly like yours (and therefore 'closer') causes a kind of friction (which is what kills the version of Ace Rimmer who showed up there). So you aim for a universe that's more different than yours, and you survive the trip.
    I'm applying the same argument to this, unless they say otherwise.

Speculation for the next two crossover eps:
    I'm assuming that them saying 'they showed up in the 50s, then left for no known reason' is the same as saying 'you're going to go back to the 50s and kick their ass', right?
    Oh jeez. I hope they
    leave it at that and just send them packing from the 50s, and don't prevent the 2016 invasion altogether. It would suck if they erased the Best. Team-up. Ever. from continuity.

edited November 2016

Yes.
    Yeah, all of his development is pretty much him becoming a normal/good person instead of the "blind" stodgy academic.

Theory
    Stein's half of Firestorm is going to suddenly stop working, and then the daughter is going to start accidentally transmuting stuff. She'll join with Jax, and all will be well.
    Professor Stein Jack Bristow goes back to be the CIA director, his mission complete. His "daughter" is secretly his real daughter, Sydney Bristow, in disguise.

Harry Dresden on
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Two things I really loved about last night:

Any line by Mick.
    Even future Flash thinks what Barry did was stupid.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Two things I really loved about last night:

Any line by Mick.
    Even future Flash thinks what Barry did was stupid.

Meeting: "Not going to call you Supergirl. Your name is 'Skirt.'"
    Later: "Help me, Supergirl!"