As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    as a pirate, I make sure to get my vitamin c and D

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    All of the C and all of the D

NeoToma on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Give them the C and the D -Blackbeard

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I like the D&D dragonborn but umm... the fan art proves people failed biology

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

My reptilian race can have boobs if I want them to!

Honestly it's kinda creepy how all the female fantasy races typically look. Even when the males of a race could literally be a formless blob females will have perfect hourglass figures and curves like crazy.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Originally Dragonborn was just a template that was placed on top of any normal race like human, halfling, elf, etc. The humanoid would prove themselves to Bahamut who would put them in an egg for a few days and they'd come out covered in scales and a more dragon-y face. In that context the artwork makes sense because the scales and whatnot are just a tacked on layer, but when they changed the lore or anything like that they never changed the art to make more sense.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Honestly it's kinda creepy how all the female fantasy races typically look. Even when the males of a race could literally be a formless blob females will have perfect hourglass figures and curves like crazy.

Blackooze.JPG vs Slime+ghosts+are+god+tier+monstergirls+_2f408b907b56c091676970e948cafbfb.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    But enough about Monster Musume

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    also fantasy Pandemic sounds amazing

like instead of role cards you get a race card (how many actions/turn, what kinds of actions you can/can't take, etc) and then a class card (special abilities) and that defines your role

or a 5th ed campaign with Pandemic as its core premise

Let me tell you about Pandemic Cthulhu

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

I guess Dragonborn must nurse their young

which sounds kinda painful, fangs and all

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I would assume that teeth don't grow in for a little bit, much like with human infants

Personally, I don't see a problem with dragonborn having a more mammalian biology

Yeah, they're scaly half dragon men, but the other half is distinctly humanoid, and thus presumably mammalian, which makes the whole thing a toss up as to which direction dragonborn should go

Like, if I was playing a game in which one of my players was a dragonborn, I'd ask them to define it for me, because I'd want to go all or nothing and that would be important campaign building material (if female dragonborn have breasts, then we don't get to call their children hatchlings, for instance)

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    RawrBear wrote: »
    Had another session of my local university pathfinder tournament thing on the weekend.

Playing a strength kobold continues to be a blast... somehow rolled high enough to break out of a huge dragon pinning me with it's foot after it crash landed on me... which was worth it just for the mental image of my little kobold bench pressing the dragon off of her.

Tournament?

It's super fun. Let me tell you about it!

So a group of folks run a "tournament" every year that's like a big campaign played over the course of a handful of weekends over the course of the year. This year we had about 35 people signed up I think which was basically capacity. There's a total of 5 modules with the last having a special "finals" module for the top 5 players.

Each module is 4 levels later with appropriate gold so it goes 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, which is a neat opportunity to play a character across the entire power curve in pathfinder from low level stuff to OMG horribly broken and unbalanced level 20 nonsense that I'd only otherwise get with a suuuper long campaign.

On game day everyone gets broken up into a handful of groups that are scrambled up every time and plays through the same module. Usually time or dimensional shenanigans or hand waving explain why everyone had the same adventure, but this time the DMs went through the trouble of building out a full western-themed setting with fleshed out different regions so everyone gets a regionally customized variation on the same module (two modules ago I was helping protect a turtle-pulled flotilla of boats on a jungle river, while folks in the prairies did an old fashioned cattle drive.)

Scoring is done by the DMs and is based on three categories:

Resourcefulness:
    Is basically how effective you were, though it also includes dealing with situations creatively, using tactics well in combat and working together, so while bringing a totally minmaxed character might help here it's not going to get you a better score than someone who planned ahead and adapted to whatever situation was at-hand.

Sportsmanship:
    Is basically how good you were to have at the table out of character. Be pleasant to be around, don't be a dick to other players, ect.

Immersion:
    Is the RP score more or less. Did you have cool combat descriptions? Were you in-character all the time? Did you help engage other players in-character and get them roleplaying?

So it's ostensibly competitive but it's mostly an excuse to do some 10 hour pathfinder sessions with a mix of different people every module and have a good time. We even have some RP forums to do some between-module casual RP for players who are into that.

This year has been pretty incredible so far, particularly because the organizers went WAAAAY above and beyond fleshing out a full setting for everyone to play in. I know in the past it's been a good way for new players to jump into RPGs, and a good opportunity for people to meet potential players they might want to get together for a more regular game.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I remember that whichever edition of Shadowrun it was that I first picked up made sure to specify the number and location of "mammae" in all of its Racial Descriptions. At the time I thought that was super weird, but now I know how vitally important it is that I have solid data about them Ork Titties.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I would assume that teeth don't grow in for a little bit, much like with human infants

Personally, I don't see a problem with dragonborn having a more mammalian biology

Yeah, they're scaly half dragon men, but the other half is distinctly humanoid, and thus presumably mammalian, which makes the whole thing a toss up as to which direction dragonborn should go

Like, if I was playing a game in which one of my players was a dragonborn, I'd ask them to define it for me, because I'd want to go all or nothing and that would be important campaign building material (if female dragonborn have breasts, then we don't get to call their children hatchlings, for instance)

Look maybe they keep the eggs nestled there for warmth and cushioning. Didja ever think of that Mr physiology.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

Echidnas and Platypus are egg-laying marsupials that have mammaries and nurse their young

Although I think the platypus mammary doesn't have nipples.

So maybe Dragonborn are scaly marsupials?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

Echidnas and Platypus are egg-laying marsupials that have mammaries and nurse their young

Although I think the platypus mammary doesn't have nipples.

So maybe Dragonborn are scaly marsupials?

That's true, yeah.

I probably still wouldn't allow it, because I am a cruel and capricious sort, but you could make an argument for it for sure. I'm not a big dragonborn fan in the first place, so I don't really want to encourage them.

• Options
    The real question is how centaur babies work

A newborn foal (baby horse) can walk and run almost immediately after birth

But human babies take months just to develop that ability to hold their own head up, let alone walk.

So are baby centaurs just like floppin around from the waist up or

• Options

But human babies take months just to develop that ability to hold their own head up, let alone walk.

They start out just like foals with baby heads, and the human body gradually grows out as they get older

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Centaurs in general get weirder the more you think about their biology and anatomy

Because of how they're classically structured, they have two chests and two sets of ribs, does that mean they have two hearts? Two pairs of lungs? If the answer is yes, how the fuck does that work? If the answer is no, which chest contains the vital organs (probably the horse chest), in which case what is in the other chest that it needs its own ribcage?

Centaurs are weird yo.

Pony on
  • Options

They start out just like foals with baby heads, and the human body gradually grows out as they get older

That's fucking horrifying

• Options

Just imagine a lanky little baby horse without a head or neck, just a baby face sitting there, blubbering out its nonsense language as it prances around

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

So is the idea of centaur's flipping around from the waist up for months

It's a lose lose

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I am having an idea now for "Centaurs" where the human body emerging from the horse neck area is a parasite, like a Cordyceps fungus popping out the top of an ant's head. So inside the human-like torso is a withered horse head, with the human esophagus anchoring into the horse mouth. They generally wear sashes or belts around the point where human and horse meet, to conceal the weird lumpy tendrils that hold it all in place.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Obviously my version is kind of extreme and horrifying

But I think that's how I'd actually do it, on a smaller scale

Like, newborn centaurs have a significantly smaller proportion of them as the human section than full grown centaurs, and that part of a centaur will grow more as it ages

And maybe it's covered in like, a layer of fur, and a mane of sorts, a weird baby down of hair

So in some ways it's more like a horse's neck when the centaur is young, and as it grows, he sheds some of that hair, grows into more human bodily proportions, and so on

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I would say that Centaur foals are able to move about, and their human parts look more like toddlers rather than babies, mature enough physically to move around and interact, if clumsily. Also I would say Centaurs have two hearts and two sets of lungs, and it works because magic fuck you magic. I mean, to feed oxygen to even the one set of lungs wouldn't a centaur have to breathe way way more than a human or even a horse does, just to properly oxygenate its body? So maybe they only have the one set of lungs in the human and big heart in the horse, and the rib cage of the human torso is protecting a large and more complex pair of huge lungs that are meant to keep the whole thing fed with oxygen, or vice versa on the organs really, but the lungs being up top makes more sense to me.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    When a mommy and a daddy centaur love each other very much, they hold each other in a special way.
    And then come spring, they find a little centaur toddler down by the river's edge.

Somehow, they knew how to find it. And somehow, they all know they are a family.

That's where centaurs come from.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Well the reason human babies can't walk or hold themselves is due to our large heads and having to be born early before they are too big. I imagine a centaur calf would have enough room to develop fully, but I imagine unlike the 9 month gestation for a human baby, a centaur would have a 2 year pregnancy or some such.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    centaurs breathe through their skin like frogs

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Maybe they have gill-like air slits down the sides of the human torso, which would also explain their aversion to shirts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Obviously my version is kind of extreme and horrifying

But I think that's how I'd actually do it, on a smaller scale

Like, newborn centaurs have a significantly smaller proportion of them as the human section than full grown centaurs, and that part of a centaur will grow more as it ages

And maybe it's covered in like, a layer of fur, and a mane of sorts, a weird baby down of hair

So in some ways it's more like a horse's neck when the centaur is young, and as it grows, he sheds some of that hair, grows into more human bodily proportions, and so on

Big celebration when the baby centaur finally sprouts human arms.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Centaurs breathe with their knees. Like crabs.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Do centaurs nurse their young through horse boobs or human boobs?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Do centaurs nurse their young through horse boobs or human boobs?

Huh

Wait fuck this is tough

Because in order to nurse a human baby, you gotta hold 'em up there

But in order to nurse a horse baby, it's gotta be able to do everything for itself

Neither of these seem probably in any of our centaur theories

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Centaurs are just born as horses with human... uh... neck bursters inside them that explode outward at the adolescent stage

there, done

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Human boobs where horse boobs should be

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Maybe we just say that centaurs have like, proportionally human sized centaur babies. So they develop probably around the same speed as human babies, and aren't doing that horse foal stuff. And then they can pick up these mini horses for nursing, that sort of thing. I imagine the sleeping situation for a baby centaur would still be pretty complicated, but at least it's not a creepy as hell baby face on a horse torso or a floppy body or anything.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Centaurs are just born as horses with human... uh... neck bursters inside them that explode outward at the adolescent stage

there, done

That's even more terrifying!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

there, done

Look, I'm sure there's some coming of age ceremony performed in a meadow or something, with flowers, it's all very nice, okay?

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

there, done

Look, I'm sure there's some coming of age ceremony performed in a meadow or something, with flowers, it's all very nice, okay?

I'm just imagining something akin to this illustration but replace the bugbear with a horse's body.

85432.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Well I mean yeah, of course every centaur is born with a pony tail

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.