As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [Chat] of Fry and Laurie

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    http://komonews.com/news/local/oregon-woman-calls-police-after-man-repeatedly-whistles-closing-time
    FOREST GROVE, Ore. — A Forest Grove woman called 911 when a man wouldn't stop "obnoxiously" singing Semisonic's "Closing Time" near her house last Saturday.

For anyone who lived through the 90s, the song is unforgettable and has a keen way of getting stuck into your head.

The woman apparently told the whistler to "shut up," an argument ensued, and she called police.

“It’s not clear if the caller would have been more or less upset if it was a different genre or whether it was just the talent lacking in the whistling,” Forest Grove Police Capt. Mike Herb told TIME.

Police say the whistler left the scene shortly after, but officers who caught up with him shortly after found him... still whistling. He wasn't arrested or cited, but apparently whistled his way home because he was upset he had been told to "shut up."

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA :lol:

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Ladyroar painted my workplaces front window today

15241916_10208073949310392_4817191396931517137_n.jpg?oh=6d4031d008d9d4a0a2c64f2208b1eb35&oe=58F9FC4B

but isn't the window on the outside just gonna be all those snow people's backs and the tree blocking the kids..

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    *tries his damndedst to not vibrate leg*

Is that code for holding a fart?

No.

You know those people who shake their legs while thinking or coding or whatever?

I'm one of those people.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So courtesy of the demands of my job, and prior diagnoses, I am now on a low dose regimen of Adderall.

I wonder what will become of me

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Cocaine or adderall?

Caffeine…?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I didn't realize it was raining this hard

But it makes for a good walking around atmosphere, right after fog

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hmm

Interesting results I need to confirm tomorrow

I may have demonstrated something terrifying

LoL

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    http://komonews.com/news/local/oregon-woman-calls-police-after-man-repeatedly-whistles-closing-time
    FOREST GROVE, Ore. — A Forest Grove woman called 911 when a man wouldn't stop "obnoxiously" singing Semisonic's "Closing Time" near her house last Saturday.

For anyone who lived through the 90s, the song is unforgettable and has a keen way of getting stuck into your head.

The woman apparently told the whistler to "shut up," an argument ensued, and she called police.

“It’s not clear if the caller would have been more or less upset if it was a different genre or whether it was just the talent lacking in the whistling,” Forest Grove Police Capt. Mike Herb told TIME.

Police say the whistler left the scene shortly after, but officers who caught up with him shortly after found him... still whistling. He wasn't arrested or cited, but apparently whistled his way home because he was upset he had been told to "shut up."

I mean, the advice is right there in the song. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    2kdQJBRl.jpg

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Yes. Okay new [chat] and that means I can write up about BvS:Dawn of Dumb.

Because dear god is it full of the dumb. I will put it in spoilers for those who I guess don't want the dumb spoiled.

So this movie tried to pull in like 20 story lines. And not one was really coherent. Of course there is the blatant death of Superman. Which is about as potent as non-alcoholic beer because Supes in this world is a distant boring character missing all the charm and history that made the 1990 death of Superman a thing. There was a feeling of loss though we all knew no one stays dead in comics. Snyder's odd obsession with 90's comics seems to miss why some were good and try to pull only the terrible in.

Then there were scene for scene shots of Dark Knight Returns. Why? Snyder wanted to make that movie. You have an older Batman. You have a stupid fight though DKR makes way more sense. Hell even had some of the same weapons and pretty much the Battank and the nuking of Supes. But it made very little sense.

And then even beyond that you have the stupid of Eisenberg's Lex. He had no heart or soul. He seemed like he was trying to be the Joker. Lex wants to show man can defeat god. Not whatever that was.

Oh and of course let us not forget Darkseid is. Because that was a huge premise of this entire movie. Its setting up Apokolips and Darkseid. But seriously Luthor had no genius. No spark. He was not a self made man. He got it from Daddy.

On top of all that the story was just dumb. The pacing was slower than glacier. I just kind of stopped caring in the first 30 minutes. Snyder has no idea how to do a JLU or Superman movie. Hell not sure he gets Batman anymore.

So lets go with the few bright spots.

Affleck is a good Batman. His the Boston Batman. Kind of rough around the edges but at least it showed that he did detective work to figure shit out. He was a good fighter. And won on brains a lot not just brawn. I think Affleck if he gets a lot of control can make this a worthwhile version and do good things with it. Even in the Snyderverse.

Gal Gadot is a goddess. I knew she was gorgeous but that smile she gives in the fight. I flushed. Dear lord is she everything Wonder Woman should be physically in a fight and looks. She looks like a demigod. I will pass judgement on her character after her movie. She says like 10 lines this film.

The peaks at the rest of JLU were uh unneeded. And seemed stapled on to show hey, "Don't forget these dudes for the next movie!"

Marvel may be formulaic at times. And I might of found Ultron fun but kind of boring at times. But BvS is just bad. DC and the last few movies feel as if they have forgotten their own niche in comics. They aren't the grimdark. They aren't the world is dark and full of terrors comic. They are demigods. They are heroes who rise above every time. They don't write heroes they write aspects of good verse aspects of evil. And this movie translates none of that. I will admit I grew up with the DCAU. But to me Supes is the boy scout. WW is sassy, smart, independent and powerful. Batman isn't brooding so much as calculating. But he cares. Bruce is as important as him beating up criminals. I see none of that life in these movies.

@Jacobkosh @Thomamelas @Elldren @Atomika

Snyder is just an awful director. It's mind blowing that Warner Brothers placed a multi-billion dollar bet on this idiot.

Correction- I have demonstrated something terrifying. I just need to find out how terrifying

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Arch wrote: »
    Hmm

Interesting results I need to confirm tomorrow

I may have demonstrated something terrifying

LoL

Ahaha science

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Arch wrote: »
    Correction- I have demonstrated something terrifying. I just need to find out how terrifying

Science again!

Arch pls tell me Zika won't literally kill me

Senjutsu wrote: »

Cocaine or adderall?

Caffeine…?

No, I'm offering

Shivahn wrote: »
    Arch pls tell me Zika won't literally kill me

Dont worry, that's still true

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    it'll figuratively kill you

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

this should be a jailable offense

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Welp, time to close the ports. You guys have fun over there.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Welp, time to close the ports.

would you say it's

8-)

closing time?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

I have zero energy

I feel like quantum scientists should be studying me since I'm pretty sure that's impossible, but here we are

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Mystery is the greatest comedic song of all time

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Like what does this intro say to you?

https://youtu.be/Sa2jYn3LmlE

Is it edgy lord?

Is it whiny baby?

No it says, these are heroes and they save the day. They are more than men and women.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Also that lizard Pokémon has me pretty sure I'm gonna play the game

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Like what does this intro say to you?

https://youtu.be/Sa2jYn3LmlE

Is it edgy lord?

Is it whiny baby?

No it says, these are heroes and they save the day. They are more than men and women.
    The preview image tells me that they need to re-check their compression algorithm. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    The MCU can usually cover up poor plot or pacing with a wellspring of appealing visuals and character interactions. The DC verse hasn't hit on anything decently enough in the same way so each little miss is obvious.

The only hope the JL movie has is that Geoff Johns can somehow, in some way, doctor the script into something Snyder can't hamfistedly fuck up

Or how about these two?

https://youtu.be/mC1euWCf1rk

The music being basically the movie music is perfect.

https://youtu.be/-XJ3HJXxDwc

And the lovely hard to tell year Batman intro.

God, I think BvS actually made me angry and I am not even really a DC guy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Wellington Fry was good but Melchett Fry was great
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BxFlmb6S6E

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This redbox is still out of the ww1 battlefield. I ain't want final fantasy or the new dishonored. Le sigh.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    The MCU can usually cover up poor plot or pacing with a wellspring of appealing visuals and character interactions. The DC verse hasn't hit on anything decently enough in the same way so each little miss is obvious.

i am kinda surprised how much people liked dr strange because of its visuals because near everything else about it sucked hard

Tav wrote: »

i am kinda surprised how much people liked dr strange because of its visuals because near everything else about it sucked hard

i fite you

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Crime does pay!

fuck gendered marketing
    Tav wrote: »

I actually liked how it ended.

I thought Cumberbatch was good in the role. The villain worked well. And it was weird enough to be a Strange story.

Also you have a big dislike of Marvel movies so I am not surprised you didn't like it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    This redbox is still out of the ww1 battlefield. I ain't want final fantasy or the new dishonored. Le sigh.
    titanfall

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh man this @ midnight has Scott Auckerman and Dana Carvey! And someone named Chelsey Crisp I haven't heard of?

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    hakkes are you thinking of going to law school or something

I don't fuckin know

I had a sister and a good friend go through law school

and I know that neither of them would recommend it.

I mean, if it's what you want to do, then it's what you want to do.

But it's a nightmare amount of work. You are in class all day and you study and work all night, and you do that for years.

Graduate education in general isn't as glamorous and carefree as it looks.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    can we just not do superhero movies for a year or two

how about shitty disaster movies

that was a short-lived enough fad

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ladyroar painted my workplaces front window today

15241916_10208073949310392_4817191396931517137_n.jpg?oh=6d4031d008d9d4a0a2c64f2208b1eb35&oe=58F9FC4B

but isn't the window on the outside just gonna be all those snow people's backs and the tree blocking the kids..

Its double sided, but because the window is tinted it doesnt matter much anyways

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    a
    a
    Really though. Everything gets automated, putting already underpaid people completely out of work. Why, exactly, would anyone in any position of authority then decide to give those people who they already weren't paying enough in the first place completely free money?

Eventually politicians will stop campaigning on bringing manufacturing jobs back because that ship has long sailed and they will pivot to basic income.

Yes, before anyone says it, this is assuming Trump hasn't destroyed democracy by then

That basic income has to come from somewhere though. And if the only people with any money are the ones who created the complete lack of employment in the first place, specifically so they could have even more money...

Yes it comes from the government.

Where's the government getting that money from. No one is paying taxes, since no one has a job. Corporate tax? pfft.

Well for starters, plenty of people will still have jobs. No one has manufacturing jobs does not equal no one has any job.

And the government has always been capable of spending more than it raises in taxes anyways.

Wealth is production. Money is just the means for moving that wealth around.

@ronya please explain better but also in a far more convoluted, hedged and difficult to parse post thanks

taxes on owners of the automated stuff

in principle

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.