As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Explosive blubber [Dishonored 2]

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I bought one for Skyrim and it was great. I'll probably buy one for the next TES game too, I have the complete set back to Daggerfall.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I bought a Fallout 4 one. I buy those and TES ones. They save a lot of time.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    I shelled out money for a guide thinking it would help me find all the coins

Fuuuck no

People still pay money for guides?

I literally didn't know they were still a thing.

Well it also had some bits of art
    But yes I am the old who pays for guides in occasion
    I like having a physical reference handy
    Yes I know the internet exists

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I bought one for Skyrim and it was great. I'll probably buy one for the next TES game too, I have the complete set back to Daggerfall.

yeah that kind of blockbuster, gigantic RPG is pretty much the only thing I buy them for anymore

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    don't be a conspirator against an empress who has already survived two conspiracy attempts

true but also maybe
    low chaos could be a better defined idea than "literally anything besides actual murder"

like why is the grand inventor being assassinated worse than going at his brain with an electric melon baller

Low Chaos is pretty simple, it's what is the least disruptive to general society. It has nothing to do with actual morality or good/evil or anything. That's why it's a chaos system and not a moral system. In general, Dishonored posits that people being aware of murders will make them feel more unsafe and afraid.
    In that instance, there's not even any indication that you were there. For all the common man knows, Jindosh went senile.

Or that he (mission 4)
    tried one his own machines and it just backfired on him

I get it I just feel bad about it

I wish I could have arranged to have one of his sentinels go nuts and kill him and have that be the low chaos option instead or something

That's actually one thing I wish for if they do another sequel:

Lethal oppurtunities as elaborate as the non-lethal ones

"murder that looks like an accident" would be an interesting option

not sure if it would be high or low chaos; it would look pretty weird if all your rivals died under strange circumstances within the span of a few weeks, but then, it probably also looked a little weird in the first game when all these people were disappeared/disgraced

As I said, you got a few of those in Dishonored 1. Also a PC gamer playthrough made every kill look like a horrible mistake accident.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I had guides for the first three Myst games, I forget which publisher but they were all from the same one, and the text kinda invented a story for the nameless player character and they would reference ongoing things throughout all three

It was super neat

Also hoo boy mission 7 is some tricky business

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    and that's a playthrough with both characters done.

What an amazing game.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So who would you say is better for a high/low chaos run?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Either character works for either in my experience, but some of Corvo's powers are just useless for sneaky/non-lethal ends (the only use I can think of for Rat Swarm beyond killing people is to wear out a wall of light, but that's a huge waste of runes for a minor assist), whereas I found all of Emily's to have some good non-lethal applications.
    Of course, Corvo's useful powers include Blink and Time Stop, which can be hilariously OP. But Domino, Mesmerize and Far Reach can have some pretty absurd combinations, too.
    I'd say to either pick whichever powerset you like the sound of more, or whoever you think the story would be better with.
    I've only done high chaos with Corvo so far, but (ending spoiler):
    At the end I had the choice of reviving Emily or taking the throne for myself, keeping her 'safe' as a statue. I'm not sure if Emily gets a similar choice.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    The most brutal thing I did on lethal no powers was killing people to throw their bodies at the wall of light and short it out

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So in no powers dishonored 2 can you still get like the buffs or just no rune upgrades at all

2x39jD4.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    So in no powers dishonored 2 can you still get like the buffs or just no rune upgrades at all

No rune upgrades at all, no powers at all. You can only equip bonecharms.

august wrote: »

No rune upgrades at all, no powers at all. You can only equip bonecharms.

Oh thats rough

I just finally bought the jump upgrade in my normal playthrough and I'm so mad I didn't get it sooner

2x39jD4.jpg
    Runes give you cash though, I wish I'd known that up front

Bonecharms are also pretty nerfed on no powers, since you can't craft them to max out the good effects.
    I does mean some of the corrupted ones that nerf your mana become a lot more viable, though.

I should take some time and dig into bone charm crafting a little bit

I mostly haven't bothered because lots of the effects trigger off of murders or help make murders easier and what I really want are things that make me harder to see and my powers cost less and my mana regen more and there aren't enough that I've felt starved for space

The upgrade that lets you use an effect 4 times across your charms sounds interesting if it stacks like I think it should though

2x39jD4.jpg
    Stacking bonecharms totally works like that.
    I mostly use it for the movement ones (to the point that I move faster while sneaking and carrying a body than I do when sprinting), but Strong Arms would be a perfect one to quadruple if it weren't bugged to make choking take longer.
    You can also just sacrifice the charms you know you won't use, which can get you a ton of whalebone to use. When I had my bonecharms all the way I wanted them, I still had enough whalebone left to make a ton of runes, which totally made the upgrade worth it.

If you're building for combat, a lot more of the bonecharms become viable, and you might want to mix them together to make space.

I didn't end up crafting charms because it kind of seems like gilding the lily. maybe on the hardest difficulty.

Wait, Strong Arms is bugged?

It was at first, and I haven't heard about it being patched yet.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait, Strong Arms is bugged?

Oh shit, no wonder it felt like it wasn't working! I crafted a 4x Strong Arms and was like "Gee, this feels longer than it did before."

IKknkhU.gif
    Playing again as Corvo, no longer worried about perfect stealth or zero kills I'm genrally only killing a handfull of people who are real motherfuckers and I'm generally batmaning the shit out of everything. It's pretty great to just run up on a guy and be all like HEY BUDDY --> PARRY --> PUNCH INNA FACE --> CHOCKEOUT. The drop ko is still fantastic and I'm trying to get to the point where I can reliably teleport above dudes and then beat the crap out of them.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have no idea how to deal with the clockwork soldiers

6F32U1X.png
    I feel like I'm playing a different game than everybody else because the Clockwork Mansion is an awful, awful level that I don't know how anyone could like it

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I feel like I'm playing a different game than everybody else because the Clockwork Mansion is an awful, awful level that I don't know how anyone could like it

I liked it because
    I cheated and looked up the path that gets you through it without switching any of the rooms around

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I liked it because
    I cheated and looked up the path that gets you through it without switching any of the rooms around

i liked it because I managed to figure it out myself, although not on my first route where I seemed to trap myself after I shifted it once and then needed to do it again.

I have yet to go through it as the dude is taunting me so I've got no idea what that's even like

stun mines

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Fully upgraded stun mines

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    Fully upgraded stun mines

I thought you only needed one upgrade, so it's got 2 charges

edited December 2016
    If you're stealtheed you can snipe of their head with a single crossbow bolt and after that they freeze up and will only attack things they can hear. You can also take off their head with a drop assasination, or destroy them completely with a drop assasination after their head is gone. Tonight I finished the mansion destroying every robot and knocking out every guard. I wanted Jindosh to watch his mansion fall apart before I murdered him.

With Corvo's automatic time stop blink upgrade I can drop ko a solider in a crowd of like four or five, then immediately start aiming my next blink and while I do so have all the time I need to decide where to go to get back up to drop ko the next guy. I am Corvo Attano: terrifying teleporting punch monster.

august on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Started playing this. Even knowing I could play as Emily, I didn't expect this many female main characters in the game.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Okay. Three step process.

1) Get the high ground
    2) Drop assassination.
    3) Repeat

One thing I learned in Dishonored 2 is that nobody is prepared for someone dropping from the sky and stabbing them in the neck. Not even robots.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The start of the game still amuses me.

"What should we do with this master assassin, infamous for taking out heavily guarded opposition throughout Dunwall during the rat plague and likely to blame for the Crown Murders?"

"Eh, throw him in an old office. Those windows are shut pretty tight."

If you get into an actual fight with the Clockworks, you can take them out with a few shots from the crossbow/pistol. Target the upper arms where the wood panels are. One shot takes the panel off and exposes the weak points, the second takes the arm off. Once they lose all their arms, they blow up.
    Alternatively, you can shoot their back panel off to reveal their main weak point which blows them up in one shot (you're not going to get that angle in a straight fight, but if you're sniping from hiding places, maybe).
    Yes, it might take a few shots to take them down, but if you're playing non lethal, what else are you using that ammo for?

I've never actually tested it, but I assume spring razors would work on them too? Or grenades, if you're not worried about the noise.

klemming wrote: »
    If you get into an actual fight with the Clockworks, you can take them out with a few shots from the crossbow/pistol. Target the upper arms where the wood panels are. One shot takes the panel off and exposes the weak points, the second takes the arm off. Once they lose all their arms, they blow up.
    Alternatively, you can shoot their back panel off to reveal their main weak point which blows them up in one shot (you're not going to get that angle in a straight fight, but if you're sniping from hiding places, maybe).
    Yes, it might take a few shots to take them down, but if you're playing non lethal, what else are you using that ammo for?

I've never actually tested it, but I assume spring razors would work on them too? Or grenades, if you're not worried about the noise.

Sticky grenades work, but it takes a couple of 'em. Had to use them in a pinch. Not the ideal tools, but useful all the same.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Finally finished the first level. Took me 2 hours. Got almost all the coins, zero deaths, but a couple of spotted bodies. I don't think I'm going to worry about being spotted so long as I don't kill anyone.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

the not spotted and even no kill runs are mostly only possible when you already know the levels.

My advice is to have a hard save (not a quick save) at the beginning of the conservatory level because ho boy that level has some bugs

honestly, hard saving at the beginning of levels is kinda important since they don't have a level select function yet

Excluding bugs (and I admit that's a pretty big 'excluding', especially on The Conservatory), a no-kill run is totally possible first time through.
    A no-spotted run will involve a lot of quick-saving/loading, though. Less if you know the level, but even then...

If you're just doing it for achivements, I think you'd actually save time overall by just trying to do one at a time. Don't worry about being spotted if you're going for no kill, etc.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I finished this! I liked it a lot more than the first, Emily's powers are just way more fun I think

The story is still total garbage that doesn't deserve this setting or gameplay, and the ending is some real shit, but I'm glad I played it. By the end I was really just giving no fucks and stealthing full force ahead using domino and shadow walk knockouts

I finished the Clockwork Mansion and I liked it more by the time I was done, but man I still found a lot of that thing frustrating

6F32U1X.png