As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Call of Duty] BLOPS IIII out now, and pretty good despite Activision's best efforts.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I just started! (The campaign. Ain't ever touching that multi...)
    It is very cool. I ain't played one of these since... Ghosts? And before that, Modern Warfare 1-3. So it feels pretty fresh. Loving all the future stuff. Feels kinda like playing that Elysium movie, with the portable shields and inconspicuous looking rifles producing laser death beams.

Rolled my eyes pretty hard at Reyes becoming captain, but still insisting on being on the front line rather than the bridge, but hey if it's good enough for Commander Shepard...

Also Jon Snow makes for a cool villain. It's making me wanna go check out that Kevin Spacey one too.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I just started! (The campaign. Ain't ever touching that multi...)
    It is very cool. I ain't played one of these since... Ghosts? And before that, Modern Warfare 1-3. So it feels pretty fresh. Loving all the future stuff. Feels kinda like playing that Elysium movie, with the portable shields and inconspicuous looking rifles producing laser death beams.

Rolled my eyes pretty hard at Reyes becoming captain, but still insisting on being on the front line rather than the bridge, but hey if it's good enough for Commander Shepard...

Also Jon Snow makes for a cool villain. It's making me wanna go check out that Kevin Spacey one too.

Don't forget about the one with Mr. Law & Order: SVU as the bad guy (although, I still think of him as Dr. Cookiepants from Scrubs)

EDIT - added in your edited spoiler tags

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The lag in MP killed a lot of the fun I was having with IW. With other stuff coming out, I've slowed down on playing CoD a bit. Hopefully there's some kind of patch or fix soonish.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    So, it's been a month: are any of you still playing IW / MWR?

Yup. Although not much MW:R, hasn't aged well for me.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really, MW1 hasn't aged well.

It doesn't have the balance or options later entries did.

Were killstreaks in MW1 always use it or lose it? Got up to a chopper in a match earlier, called it in and died, and then was unable to call in airstrike and UAV. I don't remember it working that way.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Yeah, it was that way in 4 and WaW. MW2 was the first that let you keep them. Does let you use things like the helo to chain kills to get another one for your next spawn though.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    So, it's been a month: are any of you still playing IW / MWR?

I haven't been on for a couple of weeks, but that's because of family and work stuff and a lack of free time when my wife isn't monopolizing the tv. I should be back on Sunday though, and hopefully more after that.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I've been playing quite a bit, but I think I'm out until they nerf the fucking NV4.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    Seems MWR got a fairly substantial update. Nothing major mechanically changed, but addition of a few new playlists (Gun Game! Now we just need Sticks and Stones back.) and a crapload of cosmetic items. Also looks like they're running a free trial thing from the 15th-20th for IW.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, they had to go and add Cod Points to MWR.

edited December 2016
    I do kinda like the weapon kit thing they've done for it, and the battleworn AK variant is pretty funny. That said, gated behind drops. Eeeeh.

Mechanical on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Seems MWR got a fairly substantial update. Nothing major mechanically changed, but addition of a few new playlists (Gun Game! Now we just need Sticks and Stones back.) and a crapload of cosmetic items. Also looks like they're running a free trial thing from the 15th-20th for IW.

They also added in the last six vanilla maps that were missing from the Remaster.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    The cosmetic DLC items that benefit the CoD charity are now available to purchase. I think 100% of the proceeds go to the charity, so that's pretty rad. The actual items don't look too shabby either.

Yeah, the CODE stuff does. These ones actually look pretty good this time too, better than the Black Ops 3 versions for sure.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    they added Genesis back into the IW rotation.

also I have 4k salvage, can't decided between getting the slug rack-9 or the type-2 that turns into akimbo shotguns, or the volk Goliath (single shot mode)... though it's hard to justify any AR when I already have a NV-4 Flatline.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    I'm building for the Rodeo myself. Also have the Epitaph DCM8 in my sights.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I'm playing the Blops 3 single player again from start to finish with a friend and like

I read the competing plot explanations after I finished the game when it came out and said "wat"

Now I'm really watching the cutscenes and stuff knowing the story and going "wat"

I re-read the mission logs and stuff again yesterday because we only have two more missions to go

What a strange and convoluted story

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    ...Military Wizards did it?

Burtletoy wrote: »
    ...Military Wizards Inception Nazis did it?

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Black Ops 3's story is completely fascinating. It's a massive fucking mess, but going through the blur of the usual military jargon, there are bits of dialogue and appearances and plot elements that make more sense having understood the overarching context of the missions.

It's completely batshit insane, but I think it's worth experiencing out of the sheer effort that they applied to writing something unique (and maybe even worth experiencing twice!)

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    IW's "The 12 Days ChristmasWinter" started today. There's a free holiday themed RNGbox every day.

Also, There's a Christmas version of Genesis map in the rotation now.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The IW single player campaign seems worth $30 so far

Also I bought a disc copy so I can hand it off to other xbros when I'm done

Hmm not bad also you are commander Shepard

So, Infinite Warfare sold pretty well because it's CoD and it always sells well. It apparently did not meet Activision's expectations, though, and they feel it may be partly because of the futuristic setting they keep going with. They're saying that Sledgehammer's entry this year will "go back to the series' roots". I wonder if that means back to WWII or modern military without exo-jumps and wallrunning. I thought Infinite Warfare had a great campaign, and the MP was pretty fun for a while but I'm very interested to see what taking CoD back to its roots means.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I won't buy another MW that has jet packs or rocket boots.

I think the last one I bought whose multiplayer I enjoyed was black ops 3, and I really miss the multiplayer. It scratched a very different itch than Battlefield's.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, Infinite Warfare sold pretty well because it's CoD and it always sells well. It apparently did not meet Activision's expectations, though, and they feel it may be partly because of the futuristic setting they keep going with. They're saying that Sledgehammer's entry this year will "go back to the series' roots". I wonder if that means back to WWII or modern military without exo-jumps and wallrunning. I thought Infinite Warfare had a great campaign, and the MP was pretty fun for a while but I'm very interested to see what taking CoD back to its roots means.

Give me a Vietnam Era CoD with a lot of dark messaging. Spec Ops the Line + Apocalypse Now.
    Press X to smoke meth out of your shotgun.

So, Infinite Warfare sold pretty well because it's CoD and it always sells well. It apparently did not meet Activision's expectations, though, and they feel it may be partly because of the futuristic setting they keep going with.

I'm not entirely convinced of that, but won't object to a setting change either. That said, if they were using BO3 as a metric (and honestly I don't see why they wouldn't have) that's still one hell of a mark to beat.

In actual game news, they've thrown the PPSH and M16 into BO3 and added three new weapons to MWR with their last updates for each game. For heretical opinions: I'd be okay with Raven doing their own thing with MWR at this point since it really hasn't aged very well for MP to me.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Im okay with the new MW guns. Wish they'd change up up some other things (like no more Last Stand/Martyrdom).

It brings new life into the game as is the most consumer friendly model we've see for new guns in a CoD game.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm not completely sure its the setting as BLOPS 3 has been my favorite CoD since MW2.

That said I wouldn't mind a more old school one either.

Apparently there's a leak going around that CoD this year is going back to WWII.

I really hope this turns out to be true! I am ready to return to that time period in a FPS, and also super ready for a departure from goddamn wallrunning and exo jumps.

edited March 2017
    Hmm...I'm interested in a more classic CoD but it'll depend on what advancements and QoL changes they make.

As I actually did like BLOPS 3 and think jumping worked in controlled doses.

Dragkonias on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglmDeziPZY

Nothing confirmed, of course, but apparently this stuff was "leaked by a person with a good track record" for CoD leaks.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I've been completely checked out from the whole WW2 setting for a good long whiles and I have zero desire to go back. I'm definitely in the future/near-future camp, so yeah...WW2 CoD is going to be a definite pass from me. And, while I'm not against the whole exosuit/jetpack jump-boosts, I wouldn't mind their removal as they aren't the defining feature of what I like about the near-future setting (the defining feature is that it allows for more creative freedom to tell a new story that's not a retread of history).

Basically, all this is damn near identical to what I've typed up in the Battlefield thread prior to, and right up to, the reveal of BF1's WW1 setting.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    if next years COD keeps the terrible netcode and the layers of exploitative blind box shit and the poorly designed MP maps and the ever shrinking playerbase i dont care what theme they go with really

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    They need to pull a MW2 remaster to even get me to consider a COD these days

MW3 or BLOPS2 remasters would be an absolute dream for me.

Supply drops are stupid, but easily ignorable. It'd be nice if they gave you some reasonable way to earn supply drop guns just by playing the MP, but whatever no biggie. I'm pretty stoked about the possibility of going back to WWII! Been kinda craving a WWII shooter for a while now, and if it's gonna be CoD that's like... super fitting!

It's like they find a way every year to get me to buy the game...

Erlkönig wrote: »
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I've been completely checked out from the whole WW2 setting for a good long whiles and I have zero desire to go back. I'm definitely in the future/near-future camp, so yeah...WW2 CoD is going to be a definite pass from me. And, while I'm not against the whole exosuit/jetpack jump-boosts, I wouldn't mind their removal as they aren't the defining feature of what I like about the near-future setting (the defining feature is that it allows for more creative freedom to tell a new story that's not a retread of history).

Basically, all this is damn near identical to what I've typed up in the Battlefield thread prior to, and right up to, the reveal of BF1's WW1 setting.

This is how I feel. WW2 is still a played out setting as far as I'm concerned.

And a setting change isn't gonna change the fact that they still can't make decent maps or good netcode after a decade.

Every CoD has it's share of good maps and shitty maps. Except for Ghosts, those maps were all pretty shitty. The Las Vegas desert map with the gas station was OK I guess.

IMO, enough time has passed that a WWII game could be fresh and fun again. We've had so much modern and futuristic stuff in all the FPS games for a while now, time to change it up. Just don't mess it up like the "triumphant" return of Guitar Hero...

• LindLind Registered User regular
    WW2 would be sweet. A normal Modern Warfare without all them fancy gadgets and high tech crap would also be ok in my book.

Supply drops are stupid, but easily ignorable. It'd be nice if they gave you some reasonable way to earn supply drop guns just by playing the MP, but whatever no biggie.

To their credit, they're at least doing that in IW. The new weapons save for the ax just have kill challenges to unlock them. None of the crate nonsense for the base variant.