As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    So I picked this up for Xbox, 'cause hey, 30 bucks for Gold edition.

Any beginner tips I should know about assuming I mostly intend to play it like a standard ES game but with dungeons and a bunch of NPCs with weird names?

I assume the starter pack thing is a waste of my 500 crowns?

With the gold edition, the starter pack is a much less valuable proposition since you get a mount already.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Okay. Level 8, I think I just made it out of the noob zone, and I am preeeeetty sure I no longer have any idea which quests are the storyline and I've joined like 8 guilds and I keep catching butterflies and for some reason the mages teach cooking.

Yep, it's an Elder Scrolls game alright!

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    dporowski wrote: »
    Okay. Level 8, I think I just made it out of the noob zone, and I am preeeeetty sure I no longer have any idea which quests are the storyline and I've joined like 8 guilds and I keep catching butterflies and for some reason the mages teach cooking.

Yep, it's an Elder Scrolls game alright!

And *I* just had a problem where an essential quest NPC kept spawning underground, AND later the game locked me into aggro with an enemy who had spawned somewhere under the map and thus kept me from interacting with stuff! Also the quest NPC kept appearing wherever I went stuck in the same pose until I finished the quest.

~It's an Elder Scrolls game~
    For future reference, if you ever have a problem with a quest NPC getting stuck underground and "ghosting" / appearing when you wayshrine but then immediately disappearing, try entering and leaving a building *with a door* in the quest area. Usually this is the result of the NPC having some sort of action / spawn trigger, but the spawn trigger being janky and messed up. In these cases, going through doors *should* ping the trigger again.

If you're stuck in combat mode / aggro with something you can't see / are sure is not in the area with you, try to get *as far away from whatever it is as possible*, then try to stealth and walk back to where you were. You're usually out of its aggro radius by then.

AND also if you ever run into a weird bug like that, 1. report it plz and be as detailed about how to reproduce it as possible, 2. talk to me because I can usually figure out a temporary workaround, like the above.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • dalith14dalith14 Registered User regular
    So my PS4 died on my over the holiday. Hopped on steam to find this ESO thing on sale. Bought it...holy crap it consumed me, within the span of one weekend I went from level 1 -47.

So once you hit 50 how does it work from that point with the CP? Does CP require more experience then reaching lvl 50? does it have its own scaling?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    You'll gain CPs really fast, though it slowly starts scaling up per level. They're pretty much like Paragon Levels in Diablo 3.

So I unsubbed yesterday since I've been really busy lately, though I'm still playing an hour every now and then. I just got this email offer. :rotate:

SbPFZSz.jpg

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Just logged in to find the starter pack back at full price. I'm kicking myself for not purchasing it when I could.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    From a guild perspective, do we need any specific roles filled?

After I reinstalled I see my dragonknight had all of his stats reset, so I get a free rebuild.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The key to this game is do what makes you happy.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    dalith14 wrote: »
    So once you hit 50 how does it work from that point with the CP? Does CP require more experience then reaching lvl 50? does it have its own scaling?

At least to me, it feels like every 10 CP is about 1 level in terms of time invested, like going from CP 60 to 70 would be about the same as going from level 6 to 7, etc.

But it does slow down a lot later on.

The main thing is that CP grants you points to spend in a new celestial perk type interface, getting piecemeal benefits like +1% weapon damage, with a couple bigger perks down the line for investing in certain trees. It's self-explanatory when you get there. And the cool thing is, any points you earn immediately carry over to all your other characters to spend on their own, even if they're less than level 50.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    And the cool thing is, any points you earn immediately carry over to all your other characters to spend on their own, even if they're less than level 50.

Oh hey missed this part. Irish-English Dictionary grows mightier!

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/11/29/eso-welcomes-crown-crates
    This Thursday, we'll be introducing the first season of Crown Crates to the ESO Crown Store. Crown Crates are purchased through the Crown Store, and contain a randomized selection of useful consumables and collectibles that are valued more than the price of a single crate. In addition, they also offer a chance to obtain unique cosmetic items, pets, or mounts. Crown Crates include new and exclusive items, as well as some items you might have missed in previous limited time offers.

Whenever you purchase a Crown Crate, you will always be awarded four items, with the chance to get a fifth item. In the event you receive a mount, pet, costume or personality that you already own from your Crown Crate, you'll be awarded a new resource - Crown Gems - in its place. You will also have the option to convert several items obtained from Crown Crates to Crown Gems any time you want. Items that can be manually converted include potions, poisons, riding lessons, experience scrolls, and other utility-type items. Any Crown Gems you earn can then be used to purchase the collectible items of your choosing from the current Crown Crate season.

Each Crown Crate is associated with a special “Season" that will include uniquely themed items, and will be cycled quarterly. We're kicking off the first season of Crown Crates with the electrifying Storm Atronach theme.

I WANT the Storm Atronarch Bear so baaaad.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/11/29/eso-welcomes-crown-crates
    This Thursday, we'll be introducing the first season of Crown Crates to the ESO Crown Store. Crown Crates are purchased through the Crown Store, and contain a randomized selection of useful consumables and collectibles that are valued more than the price of a single crate. In addition, they also offer a chance to obtain unique cosmetic items, pets, or mounts. Crown Crates include new and exclusive items, as well as some items you might have missed in previous limited time offers.

Whenever you purchase a Crown Crate, you will always be awarded four items, with the chance to get a fifth item. In the event you receive a mount, pet, costume or personality that you already own from your Crown Crate, you'll be awarded a new resource - Crown Gems - in its place. You will also have the option to convert several items obtained from Crown Crates to Crown Gems any time you want. Items that can be manually converted include potions, poisons, riding lessons, experience scrolls, and other utility-type items. Any Crown Gems you earn can then be used to purchase the collectible items of your choosing from the current Crown Crate season.

Each Crown Crate is associated with a special “Season" that will include uniquely themed items, and will be cycled quarterly. We're kicking off the first season of Crown Crates with the electrifying Storm Atronach theme.

Oh lawd though, it's Black Lion Chests from GW2 all over again x_X

If buying crown crates keeps DLC coming then let them eat crate.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    YO!

q84ic3m32b28.jpg

Nice

President Evil on
    New Crown Store stuff coming soon. I made a loud squeal when I saw this pet that took me by surprise.
    cb1473ea5033bc5501852291834f39ad.jpg?_ga=1.99042842.584400177.1475270304

"Elder Council" Tunic and Sash

Inspired by the majestic and imposing attire of the Imperial Elder Council, this tunic and sash ensemble by Diocletia of Skingrad is suitable for high-profile occasions from the formal to the celebratory. Dress like a Tharn, and show off the proud heritage of the Empire!
    8a89ba9b3658d9ad37afffc02c22d934.jpg

Imperial City Temple Tunic

Those who venerate the Eight Aedra as defined by Saint Alessia follow a proud tradition that dates back to the founding of the First Empire of Cyrodiil. As designer Diocletia of Skingrad says, "In this shimmering satin confection, you'll look your best while pouring out a libation to the Divines—or just toasting your friends at the corner tavern. Class always tells!"
    bff99830826b6d5a296c262041b43649.jpg

Stalhrim Frostcaster Style seen above

Sun's Dusk Winter Hood

The New Life Festival is upon us, and we have an array of hats to celebrate! You'll be toasty warm even in Sun's Dusk with this festive furry hood, crowned with a spray of lucky mistletoe that will make you welcome everywhere.
    ebcef3b568dcdd48826a90d53e1cc01b.jpg

New Life Festival Cap

Celebrate the turning of the year and the return of Magnus the Sun in this festive New Life cap. With a bobbing ball of fur on the end of its tapering blue velvet wimple, everyone will know you're the life of the winter party!
    04b331c02ba40d2195cf5b43e7f54746.jpg

New Life Monk's Cap

For those who wish to celebrate New Life without tawdry and garish display, we offer this more modest festival hat, well suited to austere monks, simple merchants, Resolutes of Stendarr, and holy knights vowed to poverty. Because New Life is for everyone!
    6381207e793860b2d8bc016f271b987c.jpg

MOUNTS

Great Elk

Though the Reachmen of Markarth say they were the first to successfully domesticate the Great Elk of Skyrim and break them as mounts, the Nords of Haafingar deride this claim, saying it was really all their idea. But you just want a majestic mount with a built-in hat-rack, so who cares?
    a7e675f75b4ef28386631929904cb840.jpg

Ice Wolf

The Ice Wolf of the far north can grow to tremendous size—which is probably why the Nords of Hjaalmarch decided to ride them. Domesticating giant Ice Wolves wasn't an easy task, but it's just the kind of challenge a Nord loves. Too fierce for you? Milk-drinker!
    e8b7e12c1fb9e1d359bca2ed0998edfb.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

MOUNTS

Great Elk

Though the Reachmen of Markarth say they were the first to successfully domesticate the Great Elk of Skyrim and break them as mounts, the Nords of Haafingar deride this claim, saying it was really all their idea. But you just want a majestic mount with a built-in hat-rack, so who cares?
    a7e675f75b4ef28386631929904cb840.jpg

Ice Wolf

The Ice Wolf of the far north can grow to tremendous size—which is probably why the Nords of Hjaalmarch decided to ride them. Domesticating giant Ice Wolves wasn't an easy task, but it's just the kind of challenge a Nord loves. Too fierce for you? Milk-drinker!
    e8b7e12c1fb9e1d359bca2ed0998edfb.jpg

I've never really payed attention to the environments that have been rendered in the promotional pic for mounts, but that sure looks like Hjaalmarch and The Reach to me.

Dare I dream?

Black Lion Chests aren't too bad because much of the pretty stuff can be bought and sold on the trading post for gold and you can convert gold to gems if you really want to gamble but are cheap. It still sucks in terms of actually opening the things though.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    @president evil You can go to The Rift

3basnids3lf9.jpg

@president evil You can go to The Rift

and in fact I was jazzed because the Outlaw's Refuge is located EXACTLY where the Thieves' Guild will be in Skyrim.

edited December 2016
    Not The Rift, The REACH. I need to murder everything in Markath again. With friends!

President Evil on
    I don't know the difference

3basnids3lf9.jpg

haha I got Deshaan map chat to talk about poutine, and this somehow led to me recommending a bunch of bars to somebody else from the DC area, god bless

maybe I'll run into them at the local goth club who knows

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Does ESO have interesting/cool holiday events that don't involve buying things in the Store? Will there be things to be earned or available in-game too over the festival? Or are the majority of rewards focused around buying stuff?

I'm kinda starry-eyed over that storm atronach guar.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
    @ashe There will still be free things during the event

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    Does ESO have interesting/cool holiday events that don't involve buying things in the Store? Will there be things to be earned or available in-game too over the festival? Or are the majority of rewards focused around buying stuff?

The Halloween event had us 'buy' a free thing from the store to start a quest line that ultimately let us turn into skeletons, and being a skeleton got you extra loot from zone and delve bosses.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Ashe wrote: »

The Halloween event had us 'buy' a free thing from the store to start a quest line that ultimately let us turn into skeletons, and being a skeleton got you extra loot from zone and delve bosses.

Plus it was like double XP, if memory serves.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited December 2016
    Has anyone tried using the Steam Crown purchase with a non-steam version?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited December 2016
    Shadowfen is super refreshing, because it's one of the few zones in the game that I genuinely haven't done shit in.

Also though I think I've been playing too much, because there's an open world dungeon in Stonefalls I haven't been to yet that's supposedly one of Sanguine's parties, and my desire to go there transitioned into a really long, involved, and crazy dream where I went to one of Sanguine's parties, which started as an Elder Scrolls-y enough decadent feast-and-orgy in a dilapidated but grand mansion, but then slowly transitioned into this space that was like an infinite, sprawling casino/mall/brothel/amusement park/thing. Some revelers kidnapped me because they wanted me to have sex with an octopus, and I got pissed and was like FOOLS, I AM AN ENVOY OF BOETHIAH, DO NOT TEST ME and I threw off my party robes to reveal the Ebony Mail and Goldbrand and they backed off. Then everyone was like "what the fuck why is an envoy of Boethiah at one of Sanguine's parties???" and I'm like "because look, sometimes even terrifying warbringer murderer-assassin conspirators want to kick back, relax, and have a few drinks, okay? Hey is uncle Sheogorath here" and they were like "oh jeez probably i think i saw him peddling drugs to somebody"

I'm going to be so disappointed when that open world dungeon probably involves a lot more stabbing people and isn't a giant infinite party zone (though apparently his realm in lore really IS a giant nigh-infinite constantly changing party zone, so ???? )

Lucid_Seraph on
    edited December 2016
    edited December 2016
    omg the Khajiit house is so cute! I hope we get some more traditional Vvardenfell style houses for Dark Elves instead of the mainland style...

I am laughing my butt off at the Nord interior decor though. Dem sweetrolls XD

*edit* Oh man, it uses your *existing* crafting skills, that's wonderful! So, leveling Woodworking on my DK is useful!

Just. Wow. Holy crap, this looks like it might be everything I've ever wanted out of a housing system in a game. SO good.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So my sub expired yesterday because I got a new bank card and never updated my payment info on their site.

Almost immediately, I got an email that "We saw you cancelled your subscription. We'd like to offer you 4 months for the price of 3 to come back."

Well, okay. I mean, I was going to update that after work anyway. Sure, I'll take a free month...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Coming back to the game, I'm curious...did people raise a stink when they nerfed the starter zone disguises to be potato sacks and put the old appearances on the Crown Store? I wasn't 100% sure at first, but I know for a fact Seadrake Disguise and Bloodthorne Disguise from the DC starter islands used to look really good and now...don't.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote:
    Coming back to the game, I'm curious...did people raise a stink when they nerfed the starter zone disguises to be potato sacks and put the old appearances on the Crown Store? I wasn't 100% sure at first, but I know for a fact Seadrake Disguise and Bloodthorne Disguise from the DC starter islands used to look really good and now...don't.

Honestly? I never even noticed. Of course, I don't think I've been in one of the starter zones in...well.....it's been a few years....
    *edit* Oh man, it uses your *existing* crafting skills, that's wonderful! So, leveling Woodworking on my DK is useful!

I'm suddenly very very glad I maxxed out Woodworking. I am curious to see how the furniture stuff will work. I wonder if they'll have learnable blueprints in the same vein as provisioning recipes and such?

So everything in Craglorn wants you to die including the quest givers. A bunch of the plot quests require groups and said plot quests are the source of Nirnhorned items crafters need for research so if any other crafty types want to get together and tackle some of these I'm certainly game this weekend (and other times as well probably. I'm starting to have alts now).

Steam Profile
    Yeah, it's intended as a Group Zone

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Yeah, it's intended as a Group Zone

A big chunk of it has content that can be handled solo now including one part of the main area quest. But not the other part and you need both to get started on nirnhorned gear research.

Steam Profile
    I just got into Craglorn a week or so ago with my CP 400 character. I can solo almost all of its content, but it's challenging; I'm having a blast. The environments are also incredibly unique and absolutely gorgeous to look at, and anyone you meet up with is seasoned enough to know what they're doing. It's great.

and anyone you meet up with is seasoned enough to know what they're doing. It's great.

You obviously haven't met up with me there yet!

Steam Profile