As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out what age of sigmar kits I can use to convert up a chaos team, I figure it should be pretty doable.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    All the Khorne dudes wearing barely any armour and flailing their arms about like mad, for a start.

In other news GW has put up a FAQ for a game within days of release, and it answers sensible questions; surely this is a sign of one of the seven seals breaking, no? Check Bloodbowl.com under downloads; there's even errata for Death Zone, taking away the elf-treeman's Timmm-ber! skill amongst other things.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Trying to figure out what age of sigmar kits I can use to convert up a chaos team, I figure it should be pretty doable.

I reckon you could make a good Chaos team out of the Beastmen (sorry Brayheards) kits. You could have normal line beastmen based on the Gor kit, and have the Bestigors as the Chaos blitzers.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Bought the new blood bowl box with the skaven. Had time to put them togheter. Not sure I will paint since I suck at painting but you never know.

I also bough blood bowl 2 on Steam. It was already on sale and the board game came with a 50% code rebate so the game cost me like 6$ only. I did end up buying all factions/races since they were on sales.

Too bad my computer suck. I think my video card is done. Every time it starts to to heat a little, my PC crash. PC crashed so far 4 times mid games of blood bowl. I've been restarting that second game 4 times so far. Last time it was bad I was ahead 3-0 at the start of the second half.

Blood bowl 2 was also sort of cheap on amazon on PS4 so it's probably cheaper than me buying a new video card so I bought it. Will have a new laptop at work early next year so I'll be able to run blood bowl 2 on it with more ease.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Guibs wrote: »
    Bought the new blood bowl box with the skaven. Had time to put them togheter. Not sure I will paint since I suck at painting but you never know.

I also bough blood bowl 2 on Steam. It was already on sale and the board game came with a 50% code rebate so the game cost me like 6$ only. I did end up buying all factions/races since they were on sales.

Too bad my computer suck. I think my video card is done. Every time it starts to to heat a little, my PC crash. PC crashed so far 4 times mid games of blood bowl. I've been restarting that second game 4 times so far. Last time it was bad I was ahead 3-0 at the start of the second half.

Blood bowl 2 was also sort of cheap on amazon on PS4 so it's probably cheaper than me buying a new video card so I bought it. Will have a new laptop at work early next year so I'll be able to run blood bowl 2 on it with more ease.

Have you tried out the Games Workshop how to paint X videos?

They've got one for Skaven at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHnXyD8Qiw&t=331s

They use a heck of a lot of paints, but it'll give you a better understanding how to paint (if you are a complete nub like me).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Is there a group here going for the Chaos/Legendary Edition video game?

I think most migrated to two, but I'd be interested in playing more. Still on the fence about getting the actual miniatures as I almost never have the time to play, but Blood Bowl is one of my favorite tabletop games, period.

Ah man, I was hoping people were still kicking CE.

Except for graphics and easy steam inviting, I honestly think BB2 does everything worse. The interface and announcers are lacking, and don't get me started on the tiny team selection with each new one being $8 DLC.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Guibs wrote: »

Have you tried out the Games Workshop how to paint X videos?

They've got one for Skaven at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHnXyD8Qiw&t=331s

They use a heck of a lot of paints, but it'll give you a better understanding how to paint (if you are a complete nub like me).

Thanks for the link. I already saw the one for the human lineman they did. Yeah it's a bit intimidating (and costly) when they use so many different paint to achieve the end result. It does look amazing though, I'll give them that.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I dunno.

More lucrative if you're selling the paints, sure, but I don't see "take paint from pot, apply paint to mini" as more intimidating than half a dozen three stage mixes with special media to boot, which is sort of where the advanced tutorials tend to go.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    The Blood Bowl videos, in particular, have fewer paints used than most. Honestly you can get away with base color and wash and skip the edge highlighting he does.

You could do a pretty good job on humans with just:
    • Blue (or whatever main color you want)
    • Offwhite for cloth / "white" bits
    • Flesh
    • Silver
    • Brown
    • Brown wash
    • Flesh wash

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I named my team the Hochland Hoodlums and now realized that the colors for Hochland are red and green.

My team is going to look like Santa's Helpers.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I named my team the Hochland Hoodlums and now realized that the colors for Hochland are red and green.

My team is going to look like Santa's Helpers.

The smartest move I ever made was naming my human team the Altdorf Army Regimental XI.

Blue with red accents is a lovely simple scheme to paint that looks great, painted them in a weekend over a decade ago and never looked back.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Blood Bowl has replaced X-Com as the game that makes me shout the word "fuck" the most.

I'm painting the Crookback Creepers in Yellow and Black. Yellow for their cowardice. Black for their hearts. The fact that yellow and black happen to be the colours of a notoriously bad AFL team is purely coincidental.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Being a blood bowl newbie I picked up the new version + skaven team + book. Are all the teams balanced out the box? I.e is the human and orc team equal to the skaven team?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Prime wrote: »
    Being a blood bowl newbie I picked up the new version + skaven team + book. Are all the teams balanced out the box? I.e is the human and orc team equal to the skaven team?

Yes and no.

No because, strictly speaking the teams aren't equal, but that is why different teams have different unit costs so the humans will be able to start with more re-rolls than orcs.

Yes because they can be built into roughly equal 1,000,000 TV teams.

No because, in a single game, skaven are going to be decently more likely to win verus orcs because of their superior ball handling and passing skills.

Yes because over the course of a league the orc player is going to have a much easier time of his boys sticking around and building up exp while the skaven will have many more deaths and need to replace seasoned players more frequently.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Ok great, so although the team out of the box might be cheaper or more expensive. Pre match/team purchases can "balance" it out a little.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Went into FLGS looking for Dropfleet/zone Commander stuffs. Spotted a single pack of Skaven BB dice.

Actually said 'yoink' out loud when I grabbed them.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Played a game last night, my orcs against some humans. 1-0 win for me, due to an amazing pass.
    Great game, can't wait to get done with finals so I can start painting em

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Ok great, so although the team out of the box might be cheaper or more expensive. Pre match/team purchases can "balance" it out a little.

In general the answer to balance in Blood Bowl is to complain about Elves.

Then smash the elves until they never get up again.

That'll show the gits.

• Options

That'll show the gits.

I remember one time getting a complete kicking from a high elf team against my Skaven; I think I lost a gutter runner and a Blitzer.

So I didn't feel too bad a few months later when my Skaven returned the favour and killed / injured the same elves. I think he only had 4 elves on the field at the end.

My thrower even got a strength increase (he had a chunk of skills already).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

That'll show the gits.

My wardancers just chuckle as they leap over those slow bashy smashy types and prance towards the end zone.

I had a team in the first PC Blood Bowl game where one wardancer got +1 STR and the other one got +1 AGI. Opposing teams would practically ignore the ball entirely in their efforts to kill or maim at least one of them. Never happened though :P And my other elves ended up picking up a lot of SPP from all of the scoring they were doing while players got lined up for big foul attempts instead of actually playing defense.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    All the leagues I've played in have been bash heavy. Ag teams, unless you were very good with them, didn't have much of a chance. I tried a Dark Elf team once, figuring the extra armor would help, and they still had a lot of casualties.

I also invariably roll 1s on dodges from AG4 players, far more often than I do for the AG3 ones. It makes me leery.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Most Blood Bowl leagues are bash heavy. That's part of the reason I prefer playing finesse teams. Wood Elves were the first team I ever played, when I was first introduced to Blood Bowl around 20 years ago. I have a lot of teams from 3rd edition, but I come back to woodies far more often than anyone else.

The open leagues for Blood Bowl on the pc are also super bash heavy, but I've had no problems playing finesse teams online. You just have to be smart about using them and do your best to set it up so your opponent is throwing as few blocks as possible each turn - ideally only one, when they blitz. You don't have to be very good to make it work though. Playing vs dwarves can get super tedious, but everything else is fun.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    I like it, nice and subtle changes.

As much as I wanted to play orcs, I let my friend use em for a few demos and it turns out the humans can be pretty fun.

Now I gotta think of a free city team name.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    Another game of Blood Bowl, another win, and another stat increase, this time Agility on a Catcher, so now I've got a 4 AGI Catcher and a 4 STR Blitzer, very good start. Also have a lineman with kick now, which is always nice.

Felt almost a little bad for the guy I was playing, he was playing Skaven and just I don't think quite got how you are supposed to run a squishy team. By the end of the first half he had about 6 guys as either casualties or knocked out.

Felt a lot less bad when he complained about his bad luck and my good luck though. Of course, I smiled, nod and agreed about things. Inside I said "Yeah, it's really good luck that my team has 4 re-rolls to your 2, that I'm doing all my safe moves first, that I'm consistently setting up 2 dice blocks and consistently using my free re-roll skills, while you are starting off your turns with 1 die blocks before you even stand people back up and are constantly going for it."

Hopefully I can get in a third game and third win tomorrow and really cement my position in the league.

• Options
    To be fair, as a skaven player, I think you're a coward if you're ever not going for it.

Rat ones go fasta after all.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

That'll show the gits.

As a wood elf player,

yes.

• Options
    But more seriously I think the most important lesson to learn in blood bowl is that often times it's a push your luck game more than it is a tactical one. The turn over rule is the life blood of the game and if your play doesn't reflect that then you're going to feel like the game is entirely rng based and not fun.

• Options
    Thoughts on the importance of Fan Factor in this edition? The sample teams have a ton, but I'm not entirely convinced it's worth it to invest that much. Better to improve your team and win games, increasing the FF that way. But some initial investment seems wise, to reduce the possibility of the opponent getting +2 FAME.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    But more seriously I think the most important lesson to learn in blood bowl is that often times it's a push your luck game more than it is a tactical one. The turn over rule is the life blood of the game and if your play doesn't reflect that then you're going to feel like the game is entirely rng based and not fun.

Best advice I can give new players; do your actions in order of sure things -> most risky.

So move all your guys into positions that don't require any rolls. Then do things that need easy rolls, then work your way to the more difficult stuff.

Always plan on the roll you're making to fail. That way you are prepared when Nuffle decides you need to have a bad day!

• Options
    Also, GW promoting/offering a smartphone app to help manage your BloodBowl team/games? Amazing!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Blood-Bowl-My-Dugout-EPUB

• Options
    Thoughts on the importance of Fan Factor in this edition? The sample teams have a ton, but I'm not entirely convinced it's worth it to invest that much. Better to improve your team and win games, increasing the FF that way. But some initial investment seems wise, to reduce the possibility of the opponent getting +2 FAME.

I put mine at zero and haven't really regretted it so far. I'd definitely put everything into players, re-rolls, etc first and maybe grab fan factor if you have a spare 10k floating around or something, but even then I'd rather save that towards your apothecary or your first new player.

Which reminds me I've got 100k sitting in the bank, if I can just get 40 more my humans can get them an Ogre :D

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Best advice I can give new players; do your actions in order of sure things -> most risky.

So move all your guys into positions that don't require any rolls. Then do things that need easy rolls, then work your way to the more difficult stuff.

Always plan on the roll you're making to fail. That way you are prepared when Nuffle decides you need to have a bad day!

Also it helps to know the general odds of some things, in order to do things in that order.

Obviously the odds of 1d6 rolls failing is pretty easy to know.

But, for new players:
    1 die blocks with no skills result in a turnover 33% of the time, with block/wrestle 16% of the time.
    2 die blocks with no skills result in a turnover 11% of the time, with block/wrestle 3% of the time.

As you can see, two die blocks, especially with the block skill, are very stable, especially if you have a healthy stock of re-rolls. Rolling a 3+ on a d6 is far riskier. Two die blocks really are the bread and butter of consistent Bloodbowl play as a result.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Won against an Orc team today 1-0. It would have been 2-0 but Baldric Butterfists lived up to his name and failed the pick up rolll and his Sure Hands reroll.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Took a while to find an opponent at the store but I am currently 1-0 against a Wood Elf team at half time, and I've got one of his 11 players off of the pitch for good. Managed to get a ton of armor breaks on his wardancers but haven't managed to actually get anything better than a stun result. We are going to pick up the game two days from now and finish it out.

I have to say that he's picking up the game very quickly, he is taking very good notes off of me. He only had to see me make 5 man X cage once to start emulating it for example. He's recieving at the start of the half so seriously debating if I try to let him score quickly and then turn the game into a 2-1 or try to grind it out against him and try to keep it at 1-0. Currently there is a blizzard going so the throwing and go for it games are pretty impacted.

• Options
    Dang nabbit ended up going 1-1 against the Elves. It was a really good match but between some mistakes and some harsh luck I just couldn't seal the deal.

What really killed me were the kick off events, on their kick off and my kick off it was both the result that shaved one turn off of the game, so I had two less turns to pull off the "let the elves score quickly, then score" strategy. But even with two less turns I came so incredibly close to scoring. On one turn all I needed to do was manage a 3+ quick throw (or whatever the shortest pass is called) with a re-roll, and I botched it. I've only ever thrown passes with those odds and my throwers haven't once made an accurate pass. And then on the last turn of the game all I needed to do was pick up the ball on a 4+ with a re-roll, and again, no luck.

And then for insult to injury I only got 20k in earnings, 20k short of my ogre, so fearing an expensive mistake I bought another Blitzer. Which is good and all, but is certainly no Ogre.

• Options
    Dang nabbit ended up going 1-1 against the Elves. It was a really good match but between some mistakes and some harsh luck I just couldn't seal the deal.

What really killed me were the kick off events, on their kick off and my kick off it was both the result that shaved one turn off of the game, so I had two less turns to pull off the "let the elves score quickly, then score" strategy. But even with two less turns I came so incredibly close to scoring. On one turn all I needed to do was manage a 3+ quick throw (or whatever the shortest pass is called) with a re-roll, and I botched it. I've only ever thrown passes with those odds and my throwers haven't once made an accurate pass. And then on the last turn of the game all I needed to do was pick up the ball on a 4+ with a re-roll, and again, no luck.

And then for insult to injury I only got 20k in earnings, 20k short of my ogre, so fearing an expensive mistake I bought another Blitzer. Which is good and all, but is certainly no Ogre.

To be fair, you totally want all your Blitzers before you get an Ogre. Blitzers are your bread and butter, the solidly best players on your team. Good move, good armor, good skills and good skill trees. It's not uncommon for them to hog the SPP, even more than Catchers. Also, Ogres tend to go dumb at the worst times, and IIRC can't use team re-rolls without passing a test, so they're powerful but a high source of variance sometimes. Big bashers that don't start with Block have a 1/9 chance of falling down themselves during a 2D block, so a failed roll at a crucial time can hurt.

• Options
    edited December 2016

To be fair, you totally want all your Blitzers before you get an Ogre. Blitzers are your bread and butter, the solidly best players on your team. Good move, good armor, good skills and good skill trees. It's not uncommon for them to hog the SPP, even more than Catchers. Also, Ogres tend to go dumb at the worst times, and IIRC can't use team re-rolls without passing a test, so they're powerful but a high source of variance sometimes. Big bashers that don't start with Block have a 1/9 chance of falling down themselves during a 2D block, so a failed roll at a crucial time can hurt.

Yeah the only reason I didn't start with 4 Blitzers is that the new box set only came with 2. But the guy I played decided to trade me his starting human plastics for my starting orcs so 4 blitzers here we come :D

Inquisitor on
  • Options

Yeah the only reason I didn't start with 4 Blitzers is that the new box set only came with 2. But the guy I played decided to trade me his starting human plastics for my starting orcs so 4 blitzers here we come :D

Honestly, I think the best thing to do with both the Human and Orc teams in the box is just to add a couple bitz to a pair of Linemen and call them Blitzers. You're never going to need 6 linemen! (Theoretically, anyway. Even if players get injured and you're replacing them with journeymen, I rarely ever needed more than 5 at the utmost.) The Orc team is a bit trickier, since you really want 4 Black Orcs and you can't bitz-ify the other models. So trading/eBay seems best there.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out color schemes for my uniforms is taking a lot longer than I thought.

04xkcuvaav19.png