As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 10 mouse issues

FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juiceRegistered User regular
So we have about 20 new Windows 10 machines in a training room, all small form factor HP somethings, I'll get the exact model number later HP 8200 Elite Small Form Factor PCs. On any given day when they're all freshly booted up, about half will fail to recognize that a mouse is plugged in. No rhyme or reason that I can see, a pc that booted fine yesterday may not see a mouse upon bootup today. Just unplugging then plugging the mouse back in causes the mouse to be recognized. As this is a training room we really don't want folks to have to fiddle around under the desks.

Drivers are fully updated, Windows is fully updated. These all came with 10 installed, they weren't upgraded from 7 or 8. Googling the problem gives a metric ton of unrelated issues, mostly dealing with mice not working after an upgrade.

Any ideas? TIA

Fleeb on

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Maybe try contacting HP support? It sounds like it's an issue with those machines (or mice) more than it sounds like an issue with windows.

LD50 on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've dealt with HP support before, so I'm trying to exhaust all other options first :D

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You can try adjusting usb power saving options. And check the BIOS for USB settings you can fiddle with.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Yeah I'll try fiddling with power options. It's not a wake-up from hibernation thing though, as it happens from cold boot. Checked bios, nothing helpful there. Maybe a bios update... I'll check that out.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    By freshly booted, do you mean that they've been turned back on after being shut down, or that they've been restarted? If they've been shut down, have you tried disabling Fast Startup?

If Fast Startup is on, it could very well still be a wake-up from hibernation thing, since that stores the state of the system on shut down and loads it back up when you turn it back on rather than fully booting.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, fresh boot being powered off, then powered back on. Happens when just restarting too though.

Good call on fast boot, I'll check on that. I don't recall seeing fast boot as an option in bios though. I'm really leaning towards it being just a bug with 10 on these machines. Turns out HP doesn't have any 10-specific drivers for this model, latest are 2 year old drivers for 8. Which should work... but, y'know.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Fast Boot is a Windows setting, and you should be able to turn it off. I'd turn off Hibernation too, since it tends to screw with hardware in much the same way Fast Boot does. Definitely check for a bios update.

I know you said the systems came with Windows 10 installed, rather than being upgraded, but that hardware is over five years old, so there may be some weird incompatibilities there. I'd look less at the mice and more at the drivers for the USB controller.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm chalking it up to the machine just not liking 10. I did try a couple different usb controller drivers. Hibernation is off.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Try older drivers, too. I have found a bunch of HP and Dell laptops that don't work properly with newer Trackpad drivers, but rolling back to year+ old drivers often solves the problem.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The drivers that 10 installed automatically date to like 2006 :-/ and I've tried a few others from various years, most recent and currently installed are dated late 2015.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I have the same problem from time to time.