As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tyranny] Obsidian's Brush with Evil

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    But yeah, whichever faction you go with you are definitely working for the bad guys.

Well, there's always the Rebels. If you don't mind being a traitor.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    But yeah, whichever faction you go with you are definitely working for the bad guys.

Traitor? Or doing the job you were given. Conquer the Tiers and spread order, through any means necessary. Those Archons clearly couldn't get it done, and you use their threat to finally unite the people under one banner.

• GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular

I don't know, I went rebels and I still feel like I'm a bad guy. It's like the opposite of a regular RPG where I can't convince myself to be anything but a paragon of virtue, in this game I just can't seem to have selfish and ambitious motivations underlying all my actions!

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Sirin had 0 loyalty and 5 fear, guess that works too!

I haven't played a chorus path yet, that's for next time, but
    what actually happened when she took him over? I wonder if the results are different for high loyalty or high fear

Endgame spoilers!
    It becomes the voices of sirin and agrees to help you since she is free from the helmet. In the epilogue it goes insane and the chorus disbands due to constant executions for no reason.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    One or more of you lovely people has written a beautiful post about how best to apply attribute points. Could you point me to it, please? (I read pages 12-17 and found lots of great info but only that the stat that lowers cooldown times is good for mages.) :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Sirin had 0 loyalty and 5 fear, guess that works too!

I haven't played a chorus path yet, that's for next time, but
    what actually happened when she took him over? I wonder if the results are different for high loyalty or high fear

Endgame spoilers!
    It becomes the voices of sirin and agrees to help you since she is free from the helmet. In the epilogue it goes insane and the chorus disbands due to constant executions for no reason.
    I would think Verse is the proper choice for this, since she has the same (or a similar) natural magic that Nerat has. Only thing is she hates the idea of ending up like him. So, for RP purposes it would have to be a Chorus run where you hate Verse, which might be kinda tricky to pull off without feeling you're meta gaming the entire time.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    Iolo wrote: »
    One or more of you lovely people has written a beautiful post about how best to apply attribute points. Could you point me to it, please? (I read pages 12-17 and found lots of great info but only that the stat that lowers cooldown times is good for mages.) :)

Put them everywhere but speed and resolve for most characters. Finesse is the major priority for everyone (accuracy is king), and Wits is good on pretty much everyone too since everyone should be casting spells and it makes them more powerful. Once you have maxxed out both of those... then follow the following in order:
    If you're building a dodge-parry PC or verse speed is good, max it out. (also train the relevant skill every level, which you are probably already doing)
    If you're building a CC character who applies debuffs to the enemy, Resolve is good. (also train Lore every level, which you are probably already doing)
    If you're building a front line fighter, Vitality is good.
    If you've got no other priorities and you're dude is a physical fighter, Might is good.
    Otherwise just go for Vitality or Speed.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Those early parts made me hope that we were going to see some nuance in the portrayal of the Scarlet Chorus but in general that stuff got jettisoned pretty quickly in favour of more all purpose ass-hattery

The disfavoured
    require baby slaughter
    and worse. The Chorus does actually have some good parts to it, there actually is some of that, but it's a very... warped morality.
    Which makes sense, considering Nerat's aims and backstory and desires regarding the chorus. Of course, the Chorus path also offers several of the most fun/awesome things you can do in the game as long as you get a kick out of being absolutely terrible
    . Also Verse is the best.

No baby-killing is necessary for the Disfavoured. You do need to cause a giant ecological disaster though. Which is crazy, because even Barrik thinks its batshit crazy but you have no other option, you can't even decide to just go kill Graven Ashe at that point, even though you get the option slightly after.

Jealous Deva on
    No baby-killing is necessary for the Disfavoured. You do need to cause a giant ecological disaster though. Which is crazy, because even Barrik thinks its batshit crazy but you have no other option, you can't even decide to just go kill Graven Ashe at that point, even though you get the option slightly after.

It is
    from what I understand. I have heard that if you have a really high lore you can weasel your way out of it on a technicality. The other non-disfavoured routes still have to deal with it, but those routes let you leave and go look for alternatives or just decide to not end the edict, the Disfavoured route says "No. Do it now. We are not looking for an alternative, we are killing this child"

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

It is
    from what I understand. I have heard that if you have a really high lore you can weasel your way out of it on a technicality. The other non-disfavoured routes still have to deal with it, but those routes let you leave and go look for alternatives or just decide to not end the edict, the Disfavoured route says "No. Do it now. We are not looking for an alternative, we are killing this child"
    I was on the Disfavored route and didn't kill the baby, as I had high lore. It actually leads to a rough scene with Ashe later!

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    be anarchist kill everyone

A steak! wrote: »
    I was on the Disfavored route and didn't kill the baby, as I had high lore. It actually leads to a rough scene with Ashe later!

Can you describe it? I don't think I'm ever gonna get to see it otherwise, hahah. My disfavoured route was not lore-heavy.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    have her relinquish the daughter's lineage and her claim to the throne

Can you describe it? I don't think I'm ever gonna get to see it otherwise, hahah. My disfavoured route was not lore-heavy.

Your best guess is probably right.
    Once he finally figures out why Amelia is acting pretty withdrawn and cagey, Graven Ashe is devastated, devastated, that his daughter would lower herself to sleeping with some savage Southern barbarian. While he doesn't go as far as executing her, he does disinherit her and declares that from now on the relationship between the two of them of will strictly be that of General and subordinate.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    hippofant wrote: »
    I enjoyed my time with the game but in the end I left disappointed, I was hoping that since I was working for an evil empire we might get some nuance on deciding between the Disfavoured and the Scarlet Chorus but nope it's just 100% Disfavoured are good but a little bit arrogant and the Scarlet Chorus are 100% evil and the Voice of Nerat is a lunatic.

Wut? Did you miss the parts where the Disfavoured are just completely a-okay with total genocide of the Tiers, because fuck Tiersmen?

Yeah I thought scarlet chorus were the good ones here, what with them being accepting of foreigners and allowing repentance.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

Your best guess is probably right.
    Once he finally figures out why Amelia is acting pretty withdrawn and cagey, Graven Ashe is devastated, devastated, that his daughter would lower herself to sleeping with some savage Southern barbarian. While he doesn't go as far as executing her, he does disinherit her and declares that from now on the relationship between the two of them of will strictly be that of General and subordinate.

I really really like Graven Ashe as a character. I had no idea this was an outcome you could get for this quest, but it fits him perfectly. And is kind of amusing considering how he reacts to the "normal" outcome.

And overall I really like the characterisation of the Disfavored and Chorus, they are both good in their own ways, and both monsters in the end. I am really looking forward to my rebel playthrough to see how they are presented when you are allied with them, as opposed to manipulating or murdering them.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    They are both pretty terrible.

On the other hand, if I had Kyros army coming down on me, I would rather have either than the Rebels, or the no one in particular of the anarchist side.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    TheStig wrote: »
    I enjoyed my time with the game but in the end I left disappointed, I was hoping that since I was working for an evil empire we might get some nuance on deciding between the Disfavoured and the Scarlet Chorus but nope it's just 100% Disfavoured are good but a little bit arrogant and the Scarlet Chorus are 100% evil and the Voice of Nerat is a lunatic.

Wut? Did you miss the parts where the Disfavoured are just completely a-okay with total genocide of the Tiers, because fuck Tiersmen?

Yeah I thought scarlet chorus were the good ones here, what with them being accepting of foreigners and allowing repentance.
    By means of them murdering their family and neighbors for a chance to be meat in the grinder on the slim chance they live :)

Bigity on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

By means of them murdering their family and neighbors for a chance to be meat in the grinder on the slim chance they live :)

Hey man, you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I really like this game, but I'm finding the controls to be a little clunky.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I really like this game, but I'm finding the controls to be a little clunky.

The only thing I have noticed is sometimes when you are giving a command and it jumps to another party member right before you click and end up making someone run to the mouse instead of doing what you are trying to command. Might be from a certain combination of auto-pause settings though, I need to play around with them and see.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Do you have to wait for sidequests to become available in this game? Specific question I guess:
    I finished Act 1, then went to Lethian's Crossing due to the spire there. I angered the Bronze Brotherhood and fought a bunch of them to "free" Lethian's Crossing. Talked to everyone there, found two rubbings, then there's nothing to do there.

I went to Tunon's Court to sort that part of the main quest out and now I need to go over to the Disfavored area to continue the main quest. There is still nothing to do in Lethian's Crossing. There's that door in the base of the spire that is locked and has the condition that I solve the Bane problem before the old man will open it. I can't go to any other location on the world map here - except for that bridge crossing where I originally met the Bronze Brotherhood.

Like I normally sort out sidequests before progressing the main story, because there are always one or more points of no return. But it doesn't seem to want to let me do anything right now.

PSN: Honkalot
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Continue the main quest

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2016
    Just finished! Man, I really like where that went. I went anarchy it seems.
    Little more closure would not have hurt. I have elaborate theories about Kyros. I suspect Kyros is just an old fart who ages past figured out how to use the spires herself, nothing more than that. Would have liked to face her and replace her!

A few bugs hit me, I had to betray the beastman tribe even though I didn't want to. It was the only way I could travel to the Dawning spire. Out of that betrayal bugginess I also ended up with two Azure Shields.

Another one I remedied by going back some saves, my dealings with the Bronze Brotherhood made Welby immortal. Those were it I think. I really liked the design of the spires.

I had heard it was short, it might have been in CRPG terms but it felt really long to me nonetheless. I got through it in about 40 hours in the end.

Final thing 1; Most heard thing in this game "I'll rip ur skalton outur ass"

Final thing 2; why did Bleden Mark of all characters get the college sophomore voice actor? The disconnect between his voice and his character was vast.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited March 2017
    Paradox gonna Paradox.

I don't mind cosmetic DLC much, but I don't think Tyranny is the right game for it.

Still... I wouldn't object to more actual Tyranny down the line.

WotanAnubis on
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    I love the word bloopers. It's just fun to say.

Bloopers.

Bloooopers.

BLOOOOOOOOOOOPERRRRSSSS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mD-cKrdNGM&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6mD-cKrdNGM&has_verified=1

steam_sig.png
    It all sounds so natural when you hear it in the game.

And then you are reminded actual people had to speak those lines.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Now I want a battering lamb in the game. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    It all sounds so natural when you hear it in the game.

And then you are reminded actual people had to speak those lines.

Really? I thought a lot of the dialogue in the game sounded very unnatural. That is, it felt natural for the characters, but it was obviously not how people talk in this world and honestly, probably not how people would casually talk in Tyranny's world either. Eb, in particular, always seemed to have a pretentious, overly formal tone. Which made sense, given that I was the motherfucking Fatebinder.

edited June 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbGDJaWdCgo

Seems like there'll be an expansion coming up later in the year that'll be adding a new region.

In other news, today a new patch dropped that added New Game+ mode (as well as a bunch of balancing).

Also, Tales from the Tiers DLC was released, which appears to add more events and story content to what's already there.

WotanAnubis on
    Oh, nice. The bastards wound will be adding a loyalist ending, which is something I was aiming for on my first playthrough. I am guessing it ends badly, to make sure an eventual followup does not have to deal with that big of a difference in ending. And Tales from the Tiers does have me tempted to go back and do my anarchy playthrough, although I might wait for the other DLC to release first.

Spoilers for the entire game below I guess.
    Letting someone else capable of using edicts live does not seem in character for Kyros. They keep their power by being utterly ruthless after all.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaqqCbmhqVI
    Neat video essay on Tyranny and its themes.

Kadoken on
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Interesting. Tyranny was one of the overlooked gems of 2016 and one of the few RPGs I've done a second play through for. I look forward to the expansion and playing the game again.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Oh yeaaah. This is just what i needed to revisit Tyranny.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaqqCbmhqVI
    Need video essay on Tyranny and its themes.

That was lengthy, but well worth the watching, thanks for sharing. I bogged down at exactly the compromising you-can't-be-the-hero-and change-everyone stage he talks about. The uncomfortable parts are uncomfortable. So glad Obsidian is making games like this.

Probably going to fire this back up...

So the Bastard's Wound expansion has a release date of September 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3TzucxIBnE

Paradox and Obsidian are going to hold some Q&A streams tomorrow for Bastard's Wound's release/

So if you have any question you want answered you should... go... ask them.

Also, the voice actors for Verse, Eb, Tunon and Bleden Mark will be on the Obsidian stream. So there's that.

Triple post!

Anyway, Bastard's Wound is out now and costs 15 bucks in my local currency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dboFrN4Jsb0

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Is this the dlc that adds an ending?

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Is this the dlc that adds an ending?

It sounds like the additional ending has been added to the base game in a free update, alongside a bigger Act 3. No DLC necessary for that.