As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Death Stranding] The Reviews are Ambiguous and Confusing! (much like the game)

Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeerMarylandRegistered User regular
edited November 2019 in Games and Technology
KIov1DQ.jpg

This game is itching at my brain so I decided to start a discussion thread because reasons.

What the fuck is Death Stranding?

The short version is, "It's what happens when you throw a ton of money at Hideo Kojima and tell him to do whatever the fuck he wants."

The longer version:

ONCE UPON A TIME Hideo Kojima, the guy most well known for the Metal Gear games, said to his friend Guillermo del Toro (well known for Hellboy, Pacific Rim, and Pan's Labyrinth), "hey dude do you want to make the new Silent Hill game" and del Toro was like FUCK YES and they made a little thing called PT which was an amazing, critically acclaimed demo for their concept for a game called Silent Hills. And there was much rejoicing.

Then Konami was like, "You know what, we personally hate you, Kojima, and in truth we really just want to make pachinko games, because fuck video games." Now normally, most people agree, "Fuck videogames" but in this case it was like, "dude this tiny demo was one of the best horror games in the past decade by itself, wtf." and Konami went "PACHINKO GAIZ."

To quote del Toro:

HpcyPP6.jpg

Thus Kojima went "You know what? Fuck you guys. I'm out. I'm starting my own studio, with a shirtless Norman Reedus, and dead sea life, and weird babies that dissolve into oil. Sony, give me a fuckton of money to do whatever the hell I want."

Presumably Sony looked at the reaction to PT and went, "Yeah shirtless Norman Reedus with dead sea life and bizarre oil babies sounds like a bestseller, have all the money ever."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2nuHEGhwiw

Then he went back to del Toro and was like, "hey dude you wanna be in my game" and del Toro was like FUCK YES and Kojima was like, "Also do you know Mads Mikkelsen I really like how he stares ominously at things and Hannibal was pretty great" and del Toro was like "Sure I'll see what I can do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6goa1pI_az8

... Okay but, do we actually know anything about the game besides this?

... kiiiinda?

A few key quotes from Kojima...
“Metal Gear was an action game,” Kojima tells IGN, “but it was an action game where you happened to be hiding. There was no genre for that back then, and now it’s classified as a stealth game. In that regard, Death Stranding will also be an action game, but I want to make something new, something different.”
"[...]the idea of life and death being connected to each other,” according to Kojima.

“Animals are connected with each other, people are connected to each other, so many things are connected."
“In this short story, Abe states that the first tool mankind created is a stick,” Kojima tells IGN. “He states that the stick is the first tool that mankind created to put distance between himself and bad things — to protect himself. He states that the second tool mankind created is a rope. A rope is a tool used to secure things that are important to you.”

Kojima points to the umbilical cord in the trailer, and the rope-like “umbilical cords” hanging from the actual title of the game.

[...]

“Most of your tools in action games are sticks,” Kojima continues. “You punch or you shoot or you kick. The communication is always through these ‘sticks.’ In [Death Stranding], I want people to be connected not through sticks, but through what would be the equivalent of ropes… But of course you will be able to use the sticks too.”

Source

The title isn't just engrish, by the way, there's actually a lot of thought put into it:
On the title. "Death Stranding" apparently refers to when whales or dolphins wash up dead on the shore (live stranding being when the creatures can be saved and returned to the sea), and the strange phenomenon of mass strandings.

"This title refers to something from another world stranded in our world", Kojima said.

The meaning of the word 'strand' as a fibre connecting objects also factors in, with Kojima adding that "in Death Stranding, there is story, game, and world view, all connected by strands." The theme of the game is "to connect".

source

Ummmmmm....

Yeah I know.

Personally, I am intrigued by the aesthetics of the game, but it remains to be seen if it'll actually be compelling or just a walking simulator with a lot of navel-gazing, and if it'll come out any time in the next 10 years, if ever.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
Lucid_Seraph on

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Stolen from the SE++ thread, cause hot dang this is a cool detail

Oh brilliant
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I have no fucking clue what is going on there.

This does not bother me, as both del Toro and Kojima are involved. I'd only be worried if I did know what was going on.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I admire Kojima's ability to find lemonade in the wild. Although I've heard a prevailing theory that he's been tired of making Metal Gears for a good long while now, so maybe this is all a win/win/win for him.
    Did we ever find out the deal with the burning whale/fake studio promo for Phantom Pain? The beached ocean life feels.:.connected.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Everything so far has me signed up, be interesting to see some type of gameplay footage but that's a looong way off. PlayStation will be backing this and the guys at giant bomb mention something on the latest podcast that hit a cord.

PlayStation want sales at the end of the day, so it's going to be interesting to see how much artistic freedom they given to Kojima and budget over time.

Also cast wise it, if the actors are used to their full potential and given plenty of lines with a good script, it will be solid.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

I have no fucking clue what is going on there.

This does not bother me, as both del Toro and Kojima are involved. I'd only be worried if I did know what was going on.

The cross-post missed a little context: someone figured out that both videos played at the same time show the moment where GDT connects the umbilical is the exact moment Reedus "loses" his baby. It's a pretty awesome detail!

• ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    To be honest, after MGSV and its marketing, you could have shown me the Death Stranding trailers and told me it's the next MGS, and I would totally believe you.

And I would be on that train.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    3iohvez.jpg

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Everything so far has me signed up, be interesting to see some type of gameplay footage but that's a looong way off. PlayStation will be backing this and the guys at giant bomb mention something on the latest podcast that hit a cord.

PlayStation want sales at the end of the day, so it's going to be interesting to see how much artistic freedom they given to Kojima and budget over time.

Also cast wise it, if the actors are used to their full potential and given plenty of lines with a good script, it will be solid.

Honestly, Sony probably has the highest tolerance for non-standard weirdness than any other AAA developer. They're backing a new Shenmue, they let The Last Guardian gestate for a decade, and they're doing a Knack 2 fer chrissake. I'm guessing they're not giving Kojima too many restraints, especially since he's got a much better track record than any of the projects I mentioned.

This is probably the best case scenario for Kojima to go completely apeshit with a moneybin of cash.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Personally, I hope del Toro is able to rein Kojima in enough so that Kojima's whackiness doesn't run so far off the rails that we get things the are so pointless and bizarre they just end up funny or disappointing.

Like, I want Kojima's spin on things, but with del Toro to go "seriously, dude, nobody is going to get it with that mountain of dialogue, but we can do this thing over here and it will actually communicate something".

Because if Kojima needs anything, it's somebody to help him figure out that massive piles of exposition does not mean good exposition. And Kojima definitely has some good stuff to say, he just always gets in his own way when taking twenty minutes to say it.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This looks incredible, especially since I loved MGSV, and especially since the same composer is doing Death Stranding(hence that amazing track in the trailer).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So fucking weird.

So this is what totally unfiltered Kojima looks like.

I have no idea if this is going to be any good but Hideo has the track record to warrant hype ahead of time.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Personally, I hope del Toro is able to rein Kojima in enough so that Kojima's whackiness doesn't run so far off the rails that we get things the are so pointless and bizarre they just end up funny or disappointing.

Like, I want Kojima's spin on things, but with del Toro to go "seriously, dude, nobody is going to get it with that mountain of dialogue, but we can do this thing over here and it will actually communicate something".

Because if Kojima needs anything, it's somebody to help him figure out that massive piles of exposition does not mean good exposition. And Kojima definitely has some good stuff to say, he just always gets in his own way when taking twenty minutes to say it.

I'm not 100% that del Toro is the guy to do that, but I'm with you on this all the same.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Kojima is the master of trailers. The fact that the baby loss --> baby plugged in syncs up perfectly to the second between both trailers is just another notch to this fact.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Del Toro isn't going to be doing any reigning, because he's just in the game, not working on it.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    They also showed a different version of the trailer at psx. Different song from the same band as the first trailer. I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7CRk7OMC4Q

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I tracked the album down after the first trailer. God, I love "I'll Keep Coming." The rest of the album is good, too! Those two songs are good examples of what to expect. What I love is that it sounds like exactly what you'd expect from an Icelandic band, but the dude's from California; he just emigrated there.

If anyone wants to give it a listen and has Amazon Prime, it's on Prime Music.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    i'll post this video here too i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuUQCpCpsk4

edit: also i'm getting serious Final Fantasy: Spirits Within vibes from it

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Kojima Productions has put up an official upload of the new trailer.

You can even watch it in 4k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcuFJXgU6cA

DarkPrimus on
    okay, i think the five floating figures are women, and that's all i got

because it seems like everyone else is a guy

what a happy day it is
    Trailer is interesting. Lots can be speculated but its looking alternate dimension/ silent hill vibe. Makes me think of The Mist.

Would have been nice to see some gameplay but I guess we have to wait a little longer.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    What an extraordinarily shitty liar lol
    Now make them kiss!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So the old trailers sync up and this one seems to kinda sync up too. The one where Reedus loses the baby syncs up with throat baby. As soon as camera leaves his mouth baby disappears. He seems to have c-section scars so I wonder what's up with that? Are the pods little artificial wombs that have to be connected to a person? We haven't seen any females involved yet. But also rewatching old trailers, Mads does the same "Shh" gesture as the floating guy in the new trailer. Is it him? The baby that disappears from Reedus's arms, does it just turn invisible and crawl down him with those oily black hands? Are there parallel universes at war here or something?

It's fascinating and I love it and I can't wait for more.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have to wonder if the lack of women is part of the game's plot.

Definitely don't want it to be like "well all the extradimensional horrors are female"

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Here's what I got:

This is the logo from the door as well as patches on a their suits, equipment etc:

FpuHF42.jpg

It say's "BRIDGES" at the top (also seen on Madds' suit), and "United Cities of America" under the logo. The logo itself has a spider pattern inside the outline of the US that originates somewhere on the eastern seaboard. Someone smarter than me could probably figure out where that is exactly. As far as the "BRIDGES" part that could either be his name or the "city" that he's from.

FBPkFmJ.jpg

Norman Reedus has "PORTER" written on the side and back of his suit and the numbers " 0914-137 " written on the front. There are also numbers written below it but I can't quite make them out. Knowing Kojima this is probably important. There's also something written on the box sitting on his left shoulder but I can't make out what it is.

rgUaXcu.jpg

This body-thing has something written on the strap that is wrapped around it. The first part says "DANGER" and the second word starts out with a B but I can't make out the rest of it. (edit: I think it says "BRIDGES" as well, which is kinda weird)

Also the guy with the gas mask who floats down also has a baby incubation thingy and at one point madds incubation thingy is covered in black goo, only to be completely clean moments later. That's all I got so far.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Porter also has a dream catcher hanging off his backpack thingy. Wonder if that's related to the united cities logo.

"I see everything twice!"

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So "Porter" is either his job or his name.

Porters carry things and well, carrying a thing seems to be important to these guys.

Or his name could just be Porter cause porters carry things. Get it?!

The first one I'd be fine with. The second is kinda, urgh. Either way I am pretty interested to see how this turns out.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yeah, I have to wonder if the lack of women is part of the game's plot.

Definitely don't want it to be like "well all the extradimensional horrors are female"

It's probably gonna be about how all men wish to return to the womb, like Dark Souls. . . I've been watching a lot of Wisecrack.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    i don't really get the impression that the five floating figures are extradimensional horrors as much as they are either mournful ghosts or judgmental gods

also, i'm going to revise my guess and say it's three women and two guys

porter/reedus has six tags and there're five floaty folks, which probably means something - is the sixth Mads, Reedus, or the baby?

also, it seems pretty clear that there're two worlds, the living and otherworld, and obviously they're interacting with each other in wacky ways

the black things (they look like water bears?) that porter/reedus vomits up, for example, can be seen in their regular colors when porter/reedus is underwater

also, the guy that gets picked up and starts floating away tried to kill himself, but i think he was too late before getting caught by the thing? he seems to keep stabbing himself on the way up

what a happy day it is
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    1. so when is kojima proposing to mads, only to be informed by mads "cloud cuckoolander" mikkelsen that sadly he is already married to a nice lady, but if she's ok with it we can bang

2. I am also hoping that the absence of women is more a commentary on man's hubris or something, but Kojima's track record with female characters is... not great, and the dev team is a biiiit of a sausage fest :\ Which makes it read more like WHAT ARE WOMEN!?? WE JUST DONT KNOW :0

3. interestingly, the invisible... whatevers... seem to have hands as feet

4. I am reminded less of the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie, and more of SCP-093.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    1. so when is kojima proposing to mads, only to be informed by mads "cloud cuckoolander" mikkelsen that sadly he is already married to a nice lady, but if she's ok with it we can bang

2. I am also hoping that the absence of women is more a commentary on man's hubris or something, but Kojima's track record with female characters is... not great, and the dev team is a biiiit of a sausage fest :\ Which makes it read more like WHAT ARE WOMEN!?? WE JUST DONT KNOW :0

3. interestingly, the invisible... whatevers... seem to have hands as feet

4. I am reminded less of the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie, and more of SCP-093.

Thanks for taking me down the black hole of SCP again, you monster!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Here's what I got:
    FBPkFmJ.jpg

Norman Reedus has "PORTER" written on the side and back of his suit and the numbers " 0914-137 " written on the front. There are also numbers written below it but I can't quite make them out. Knowing Kojima this is probably important. There's also something written on the box sitting on his left shoulder but I can't make out what it is.

The walkman-like thing Sam has reads M2047 R4. No clue.

I've seen speculation the 0914-137 is a reference to Psalm 137...

Hakunin on
    edited December 2017
    There's some good stuff in this article. Most notably the black goo that ages the guy being meant to age up the baby who is a clone of the person carrying it. When dude got crushed the black goo spilled out which is why he gets old super fast. That's also why "Bridges" tries to kill himself after tossing the baby to sam, because it's his clone.

Also the floaty gas mask guy makes the same gesture at the same exact timestamp as Madds in the previous trailer:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/8/16752560/death-stranding-new-trailer-2017-theory

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    "BRIDGES" is the name of an organization. Guillermo Del Toros character belongs to this organization:

https://youtu.be/bqZTarQTaxc

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    What an extraordinarily shitty liar lol
    Now make them kiss!

Maybe that's their storyboarding.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    On his trouser-leg? That's a function or affiliation, not a name. Orange only has "BRIDGES" on his.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    So I guess Kojima has just gone full Lynch, huh.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

He's gone beyond Lynch. They'll have to invent a new scale to describe Full Kojima.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »

He's gone beyond Lynch. They'll have to invent a new scale to describe Full Kojima.

I suggest the mili-Kojima as a relative unit of measurement.

Someone posted a close up of the black rubber armband on one of characters that said "Body Recovery Team 6". I think.