As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sexy pokemon [chat]

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Houston is too big, but that's okay because only like 2% of it is any good and most of that is within the same 1 mile radius

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Burnage wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Houston's ok but the sprawl

Ye gods the sprawl

All cities have sprawl. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

All American cities have sprawl.

Many European cities have been successful drawing a clear line between urban and rural. Germany is really good at it.

If cities don't slowly spread their architectural tentacles across an unsuspecting countryside like a hungry squid caressing a delicious oyster, what is even their point?

I mean the great thing about cities is you have all this awesome shit close together so you don't have to live in your car, say, or be sober to go anywhere.

I feel like suburban sprawl really undermines all the good parts of city living. Everything's still too far apart, but you don't have any real privacy and isolation.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    something something white flight

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    something something white flight

White people ruin everything

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I want to do the thing I saw on Chef's Table where the guy sauted slices of country ham in reduced coffee, then served it on a hunk of toasted bread with a fried egg on top

Country ham in red-eye gravy, toast, beans and eggs with a strong cup of coffee is a great way to start a day.

true, but this was different... not gravy, but coffee that'd been reduced to almost a paste, then thrown on the cast iron and the slices of ham shoved around in them until it was all seared together and steaming.

Can't say I've ever seen it before, but it sounds delicious.

So, you need to break out your netflix and watch The Chef's Table. I think even a professional cook will get a lot of fun out of the episode's.

Think of them more like biographies than cooking show episodes. :)

I know the series, but I didn't know they had done one on the American South.

To this day my favorite episodes of No Reservations, The Layover and Parts Unknown are the ones that show the South, partially because it shows me the food culture I come from, partially because it shows the rest of the country we are a hell of a lot more than fried chicken and instant grits.

do people think this?

Southern food is amazing

also southern booze

Yes, they do.

I mean, it's getting better, but if you were to ask the average Washingtonian what they though of Southern food? But to be fair, the representations that hit mainstream media, I can understand why they think that, what with Paula Deen convincing the masses that butter and salt alone are the keys to flavor.

Meanwhile I remember a dish of okra and tomatoes that my grandmother made as I was growing up, and how the very simple combination of those items (along with a little salt, pepper and I want to say garlic) with some rice made a meal that still inspires much of the cooking I do. That is, the idea that taking a good ingredient and treating it with as much care and respect as you can makes the best food you can possibly eat.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Atomika wrote: »
    Houston is too big, but that's okay because only like 2% of it is any good and most of that is within the same 1 mile radius

is sugarland good

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    deleted

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I feel like Bourdain has been very complimentary of southern food

I feel like this is well understood in liberal circles, where Paula Deen don't play

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    okay today I have procured:
    • Corsair Bulldog case
    • 600w power supply
    • liquid cooling module for CPU
    • 1TB SanDisk SSD
    • SDD mounting bracket

out-of-pocket cost: $130

fuck yeah

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Hominy grits? How should I know hominy? Count them yourself!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    That's an interesting case

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i love how utterly overboard Disgaea animations are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPy63tYTRfw

blow up the moon? sure

karate chop the earth in half? why not!

annihilate galaxies? Just another Tuesday

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Tired of waiting for drills and convert-o-trons to do their thing, I've decided I need an enormous fuel station in orbit of Kerbin. So I can just dock, slurp up a bunch of fuel and undock. After saving up some funds I'm ready to loft the thing into space but there's a problem: my heavy lift re-usable launch stage isn't quite big enough to do the job. After deciding that designing a new heavier lift system would be somewhat time consuming, my solution is to just use two of them.
    ikh7elxxigpd.jpg
    Don't ask me how it fits out the door, it just does.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

is sugarland good

Sugarland is nothing but strip malls and low-cost masterplanned communities 20 miles away from Downtown

no, Sugarland is not good

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

I feel like this is well understood in liberal circles, where Paula Dean don't play

I really want you guys to trust me on this.

Southern food has been raked through the mud, because it fits a convenient narrative. These backwoods stupid folk couldn't possibly make anything nuanced, instead everything is simple and heavy-handed because they possess no talent.

To be fair, many Southerners downplay Southern cuisine to a large degree because so much of what makes it great would cause you to have to acknowledge the great influences it had thanks to the French, the Spanish, and West Africans.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Tired of waiting for drills and convert-o-trons to do their thing, I've decided I need an enormous fuel station in orbit of Kerbin. So I can just dock, slurp up a bunch of fuel and undock. After saving up some funds I'm ready to loft the thing into space but there's a problem: my heavy lift re-usable launch stage isn't quite big enough to do the job. After deciding that designing a new heavier lift system would be somewhat time consuming, my solution is to just use two of them.
    ikh7elxxigpd.jpg

okay but

how does it not just explode on the launch pad tho?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    That's an interesting case

Smallish, meant to quietly and discretely hide away

My aesthetic philosophy is always: things are only meant to be seen or heard if they're actually meant for being seen or heard.

I like hiding everything I can away. You can't even see most of my current components because they're carefully tucked away into a 1968 Magnavox turntable console I refinished.

• Options

is sugarland good

Sugarland is nothing but strip malls and low-cost masterplanned communities 20 miles away from Downtown

a fitness vlogger bro i know owns a gym in stafford and i believe he just had a new house built in sugarland. it's lakeside and super modern looking and cost like 700k

but it does seem like he has to drive a fair distance to do anything at all

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Southern food has been raked through the mud, because it fits a convenient narrative. These backwoods stupid folk couldn't possibly make anything nuanced, instead everything is simple and heavy-handed because they possess no talent.

I have literally never, ever, ever heard this.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I want to do the thing I saw on Chef's Table where the guy sauted slices of country ham in reduced coffee, then served it on a hunk of toasted bread with a fried egg on top

Country ham in red-eye gravy, toast, beans and eggs with a strong cup of coffee is a great way to start a day.

true, but this was different... not gravy, but coffee that'd been reduced to almost a paste, then thrown on the cast iron and the slices of ham shoved around in them until it was all seared together and steaming.

Can't say I've ever seen it before, but it sounds delicious.

So, you need to break out your netflix and watch The Chef's Table. I think even a professional cook will get a lot of fun out of the episode's.

Think of them more like biographies than cooking show episodes. :)

I know the series, but I didn't know they had done one on the American South.

To this day my favorite episodes of No Reservations, The Layover and Parts Unknown are the ones that show the South, partially because it shows me the food culture I come from, partially because it shows the rest of the country we are a hell of a lot more than fried chicken and instant grits.

I totally agree, but this one is a chef in patagonia who is talking about returning to cooking over open flame... it's really good. :)

• Options

I feel like this is well understood in liberal circles, where Paula Dean don't play

I really want you guys to trust me on this.

To be fair, many Southerners downplay Southern cuisine to a large degree because so much of what makes it great would cause you to have to acknowledge the great influences it had thanks to the French, the Spanish, and West Africans.
    I understand that's the narrative you perceive. I'm not trying to invalidate that. When you live somewhere you get to deal with a disproportionate number of shithead stereotypes.

It's not a universal narrative, though. Canada, or at least my city, has been on this kick of opening southern-inspired places for the last half decade. I wouldn't say we're particular good at it, but it's understood that we're doing a rough job of trying to import an amazing and diverse set of foods.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    god that soup

I was so proud of it

So velvety and rich

Beautifully seasoned
    god that soup

I was so proud of it

So velvety and rich

Beautifully seasoned

You should be.

Soup is underrated. It seems so simple, but one that is truly good, that really satisfies on its on with maybe a hunk of bread? That's a thing of sublime beauty.

Even something like a cream of mushroom made well can take hours of prep work, from making the stock at its base to slowly cooking down the ingredients to extract all the flavors before caramelizing them to draw maximum flavor from everything.

To speak nothing of seasoning. Balancing salt in a dish can make a person neurotic, as you attempt to cleanse your palate to make sure you're getting the proper salt levels for what you're tasting. This is without any regard to trying to balance the herbs and making sure they compliment your main ingredients without overwhelming them.

A well made soup is a magical thing, and you deserve every ounce of praise directed your way for making one.

My heart just grew three sizes

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So, that dude I told on facebook that I used to flirt with him and he never responded so I dropped it? One of his gorgeous friends, who is a lady, tossed a flirt in that thread and he dropped the ball exactly has he had always used to dropped the ball with me. So I had to send him a PM saying, "you get that she just hinted she would like to fuck you, right?"

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    ikh7elxxigpd.jpg

okay but

how does it not just explode on the launch pad tho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miSP9YwhktQ

• Options
    i think southern food gets a pretty good rap, overall. people poke fun at it being unhealthy with tons of lard and sugar in sweet tea and stuff. and some people go blech pig's feet, or whatever. but i don't think any other part of the country has that sort of acclaim in terms of people saying it tastes good. certain cities have certain individual items- cheesesteaks, fish tacos, whatever- or like, a style of bbq or lobster because of geography. but i think if you put a plate of food in front of a bro and say it's from the pnw he doesn't get excited. you say it's from new england and he says is it lobster or chowder? if not he doesn't get excited. and so on.

maybe restaurant folk are snobs about it but southern food, comfort food, home cooking whatever- it's a big amalgamation of stuff that i think people generally like.

• Options

is sugarland good

a fitness vlogger bro i know owns a gym in stafford and i believe he just had a new house built in sugarland. it's lakeside and super modern looking and cost like 700k

There's definitely a reason his new ultra mod house cost $700k. Sugarland is way far away from anything good, and it's boring as all hell.

Conversely, one of my good friends has a smallish 3-bed 1940s bungalow barely inside the downtown loop and paid almost $500k.

• Options

Cool.

I have.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Same. The only reputation I've heard is that it's good, cheap, and unhealthy. I've also never heard "simple" used as a pejorative in cooking but I'm not in the biz. Usually I hear simple used to convey that a recipe is easy to make but deceptively difficult to perfect, or that it leans heavily on ingredient quality.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

is sugarland good

There's definitely a reason his new ultra mod house cost $700k. Sugarland is way far away from anything good, and it's boring as all hell.

Conversely, one of my good friends has a smallish 3-bed 1940s bungalow barely inside the downtown loop and paid almost $500k.

houses everywhere seem to cost more than i thought

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Gilding the lily sounds so.. filthy

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I don't much enjoy being so poor

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Gilding the lily sounds so.. filthy

It defo sounds like some kind of oral sex situation

• Options
    i think southern food gets a pretty good rap, overall. people poke fun at it being unhealthy with tons of lard and sugar in sweet tea and stuff. and some people go blech pig's feet, or whatever. but i don't think any other part of the country has that sort of acclaim in terms of people saying it tastes good. certain cities have certain individual items- cheesesteaks, fish tacos, whatever- or like, a style of bbq or lobster because of geography. but i think if you put a plate of food in front of a bro and say it's from the pnw he doesn't get excited. you say it's from new england and he says is it lobster or chowder? if not he doesn't get excited. and so on.

maybe restaurant folk are snobs about it but southern food, comfort food, home cooking whatever- it's a big amalgamation of stuff that i think people generally like.

I think the concept I'm trying to get across is that even more open-minded restaurant folk will say something like, "Sure, Southern food is good, but I would never consider it fine dining material."

Because all they can think about is fried chicken and that time they went to Waffle House and had instant grits with their waffle, eggs and bacon. This is why it's been such a deal lately in travel shows, why Anthony Bourdain promotes chefs like Sean Brock. Because not only are they doing something interesting, they are doing something with a food culture that has been so...shall we say underestimated?

I dunno, this is something I've run into a lot in my professional life. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to convince people to run shrimp and grits with seared pork belly and roasted tomato sauce because, "Man, nobody's trying to eat that Southern shit!"

• Options
    edited December 2016

I think the concept I'm trying to get across is that even more open-minded restaurant folk will say something like, "Sure, Southern food is good, but I would never consider it fine dining material."

Because all they can think about is fried chicken and that time they went to Waffle House and had instant grits with their waffle, eggs and bacon. This is why it's been such a deal lately in travel shows, why Anthony Bourdain promotes chefs like Sean Brock. Because not only are they doing something interesting, they are doing something with a food culture that has been so...shall we say underestimated?

I dunno, this is something I've run into a lot in my professional life. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to convince people to run shrimp and grits with seared pork belly and roasted tomato sauce because, "Man, nobody's trying to eat that Southern shit!"

oh, i have no idea how it flies with fine dining. i'll take your word on it. but people definitely want to eat southern food, whether or not serious foodies want it plated with a cane sugar gastrique or whatever.

Organichu on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

is sugarland good

My house was sub 200k and is pretty nice. But I am not in a destination town or anything.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

is sugarland good

It's terribly frustrating because they used to not cost so much. In the 80s when my parents were in the market, they cost about $150k in 2016 dollars. Now they're over $400k and incomes are down or flat. This ladder-pulling, dear fucking god.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Growing up in a distinctly southern family, with extended family that hailed from Louisiana, Arkansas, and Tennessee, I feel empowered to lay down some blanket statements about traditional southern cuisine that I find more applicable than not.

- Nobody really eats the weird stuff. Yeah, your granddad might talk about eating squirrel as a kid, and you probably have that one weird cousin that really likes pigs' feet, but those are definitely outliers, and nobody eats varmints and hasn't since the 1950s.

- Much like I'm sure other subcultures do, lots of Southern people care more about food being familiar than they do it being very good. I've seen people who eat doughy and bland buttermilk biscuits or fried catfish that's more grease than filet turn their nose up at laminated pastry or any kind of gravy that wasn't white and full of clumps. This is why places like Cracker Barrel and Waffle House outnumber fine dining places (even Southern-styled dining places) by nearly 7248:1. In fairness, Cracker Barrel's pancakes are the best ever and Waffle House sells a complete steak breakfast for $9.

- Everyone's mom thinks they can cook, but in fact almost all of them are completely terrible cooks who think casseroles are the pinnacle of culinary ingenuity. They compensate for their dearth of proficiency by throwing tons of cheating elements into their dishes: brown sugar, bourbon, bacon . . . anything that hammers the fat-salt-sugar receptors like John Henry.

- Nuanced southern food? Gotdamn. That stuff is sublime. It's much rarer, and typically not cheap, but it's worth seeking out. NOLA (in New Orleans, shockingly) is an amazing place to see modern southern food, as is Reata in Ft. Worth (though it has a distinctly Texas edge to it).

• Options
    Housing can be affordable or it can be a reliable investment.

It can't be both.

We chose the latter.

This discussion has been closed.