As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

sexy pokemon [chat]

19495969798100»

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Organichu wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    Southern food has been raked through the mud, because it fits a convenient narrative. These backwoods stupid folk couldn't possibly make anything nuanced, instead everything is simple and heavy-handed because they possess no talent.

I have literally never, ever, ever heard this.

Same. The only reputation I've heard is that it's good, cheap, and unhealthy. I've also never heard "simple" used as a pejorative in cooking but I'm not in the biz. Usually I hear simple used to convey that a recipe is easy to make but deceptively difficult to perfect, or that it leans heavily on ingredient quality.

I know exactly what Alazull is talking about... southern food is fried, bad for you, full of carbs, includes no veggies, has no nuance.

This sounds like Italian food

Ok but have you ever seen an Italian masturbate while talking about the delicacy and deft touch required for risotto

Aka

have you ever seen an Italian talk about the delicacy and deft touch required for risotto

You mean throw some rice in your THERMOMIX™?

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Southern food has been raked through the mud, because it fits a convenient narrative. These backwoods stupid folk couldn't possibly make anything nuanced, instead everything is simple and heavy-handed because they possess no talent.

Same. The only reputation I've heard is that it's good, cheap, and unhealthy. I've also never heard "simple" used as a pejorative in cooking but I'm not in the biz. Usually I hear simple used to convey that a recipe is easy to make but deceptively difficult to perfect, or that it leans heavily on ingredient quality.

I know exactly what Alazull is talking about... southern food is fried, bad for you, full of carbs, includes no veggies, has no nuance.

Ok but have you ever seen an Italian masturbate while talking about the delicacy and deft touch required for risotto

Aka

have you ever seen an Italian talk about the delicacy and deft touch required for risotto

I know I got constipated AF in Italy

They are not big on veggies

Don't tomatoes get thrown into basically every Italian recipe

But tomato is a fruit.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Millenials be wanting Healthcare AND housing?

AANNNDD beatable mega mans?

And this is why history will remember us as the Worstest Generation.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    What's funny is my Grandmother is from Italy. Like met my GP when he was in the Army stationed there.

My Mom used to make THE BEST fucking spaghetti on earth. Her sauce was a thing of passion.

Then she spent the next 40 years in Alabama and now she lost the ancient tradition of all day spaghetti sauce.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Aka

But tomato is a fruit.

T-this trap card..

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    tonight in chat we're tackling the two most important issues facing our country
    • inflated housing prices
    • deflated michelin review scores

is there a causal link?
    absolutely
    but in which direction

U forgot the dickliner

• AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I associate vegetables with southern food just because we don't see them much otherwise

Okra, collards, eggplant, sorghum, black eyed peas, lima beans

Again, Paula Deen and her ilk did a lot of damage to the perception of Southern food. Just lets dump butter, salt, and sometimes hot sauce all over our meat-heavy dishes.

It's also important to note that part of my problem with the perception of Southern food is how things are lumped together despite the fact that different parts of the South can have very different cuisines, much like how it bothers me when people talk about Italian or Chinese food not realizing that different regions have different cuisines.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    like, I get it's stupid that the local level of governments lets developers go and build massive tracts of just-barely affordable housing

but houses only cost as much as people are willing to pay

and enough people are scraping up the dough to buy those houses

A disproportionate number of high-end housing units in hot markets are held by pieds a tierre.

About 30% of newly-constructed market-rate housing units in San Francisco are purchased by people who do not intend to live there.

Around 5% of Vancouver home sales are purchased by foreign buyers, around 7% of Vancouver homes are empty at any given time, and as many as 20% of Vancouver homes are owned by some combination of non-resident investors, foreign buyers, or pieds a tierre.

yes, and those are two of the most egregiously overpriced markets in NA because of that

but housing is still fucked up everywhere else that doesn't have those problems

but all the jobs ran to the cites and everything else being equal your slice of the pie is 1/3rd smaller than it was 35 years ago

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hey I never said I wanted a beatable Mega Man, I just said I admit defeat.

I'm still convinced the Mega Man games were like a Last Starfighter/Enders Game kind of training and somewhere out there in space is a bunch of fucking badass laser armed parkour experts saving us from aliens we don't know exist.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Aka

Man spaghetti bolognase does not help you poop

Alright Zull I agree with you but don't hate on hot sauce.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    michelin makes p good tires i guess

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    What's funny is my Grandmother is from Italy. Like met my GP when he was in the Army stationed there.

My Mom used to make THE BEST fucking spaghetti on earth. Her sauce was a thing of passion.

Then she spent the next 40 years in Alabama and now she lost the ancient tradition of all day spaghetti sauce.

Did she call it gravy back when she made it awesome?

Chanus wrote: »

They totally ripped off the stay puft marshmallow man tho

Did she call it gravy back when she made it awesome?

not that I recall

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Aka

You're using it wrong

I did beat Darkwing Duck which is really Mega Man 7 using save states but I mean it was p. easy compared to mega man games.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I will never get over when I went to Sicily. My relivives took us to a pizza place and ordered a pizza covered in french fries and hot dog slices. Not because we were there but because that's what they wanted.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.

What?

Look like I know it doesn't help that I showed up to all this buzzed but there's things that are making me feel like I took crazy pills.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    like, I get it's stupid that the local level of governments lets developers go and build massive tracts of just-barely affordable housing

but houses only cost as much as people are willing to pay

and enough people are scraping up the dough to buy those houses

A disproportionate number of high-end housing units in hot markets are held by pieds a tierre.

About 30% of newly-constructed market-rate housing units in San Francisco are purchased by people who do not intend to live there.

Around 5% of Vancouver home sales are purchased by foreign buyers, around 7% of Vancouver homes are empty at any given time, and as many as 20% of Vancouver homes are owned by some combination of non-resident investors, foreign buyers, or pieds a tierre.

^ This ^

It's a financial hot potato game where everyone thinks they're the slickest go-getter in the room, because that's the cultural attitude encouraged in the finance & real estate profession, and thus someone else will be holding the bag whenever things go tits up. Plenty of hilariously racist assumptions, too, if you go digging through e-mails seized during the huge crisis credit ('Chinese & Arab investors are all so stupid, lol, they're gonna be the ones holding the bag at the end cuz they're so dumb! lol! There is zero risk to us!').

So we end up with banks inevitably buying houses for like 1.5 to 3 million dollars due to speculation-driven over-valuation, when in reality the homes are probably worth 200~ to 300~ thousand dollars. The difference in price has to be paid by someone, eventually, when people stop deciding to trade houses and the bank income streams turn into empty homes (leaving them unable to pay their own obligations).

With Love and Courage
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    I associate vegetables with southern food just because we don't see them much otherwise

Again, Paula Deen and her ilk did a lot of damage to the perception of Southern food. Just lets dump butter, salt, and sometimes hot sauce all over our meat-heavy dishes.

It's also important to note that part of my problem with the perception of Southern food is how things are lumped together despite the fact that different parts of the South can have very different cuisines, much like how it bothers me when people talk about Italian or Chinese food not realizing that different regions have different cuisines.
    Oh yeah for sure we're talking about "southern" but that's a big umbrella to cram a lot of different stuff under

i mean, i don't think there's a lot that can be done about that (for the vast majority of people, anyway). i am used to people butchering middle eastern food, too- heck, sometimes they confuse greek and cypriot food too. but i don't think it's reasonable to expect people to keep track of all that.

much like 19 year old chubert who got mad at inaccurate gun handling in movies... you gotta let it go bruh... set yourself free

What?

Look like I know it doesn't help that I showed up to all this buzzed but there's things that are making me feel like I took crazy pills.

I'm just saying I know Paula doesn't help matters but I do enjoy some hot sauce on foods.

Not all foods, but foods.

edited December 2016
    When I went to Sicily I still could not get over my relivives taking us to a pizza place and then ordering a pizza covered in french fries and hot dog slices. Not because we were there but because that's what they wanted.

Between this and my giant italian nose I am starting to get racist

Neco on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

This has always mystified me

Well not really

But my.nose needs t fuck off

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Aka

What part of Italy?

Valpolicella, barbaresco, como

So the north

Although indifferent preperation of veggies appears to be a staple in most American Italian places too

Aka

are you good since italy or

are you in need of assistance *gets tools*

Burgers are good.

i mean, i don't think there's a lot that can be done about that (for the vast majority of people, anyway). i am used to people butchering middle eastern food, too- heck, sometimes they confuse greek and cypriot food too. but i don't think it's reasonable to expect people to keep track of all that.

much like 19 year old chubert who got mad at inaccurate gun handling in movies... you gotta let it go bruh... set yourself free

Except that I literally cook for a living.

I am allowed to be frustrated by attitudes that effect my professional life.

Aka

are you good since italy or

are you in need of assistance *gets tools*

I'll get the canary.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through space at warp 3.8

@Organichu will create the new thread
    @Dark Raven X is backup

This discussion has been closed.