As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Game Awards] and [PlayStation Experience] 2016

1234568»

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    that they've confirmed Last of US Part 2 just makes that other zombie game the showed off back at E3 seem even more pointless.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That's actually fitting

Because I may be the only Godfather fan (the first is my favorite film of all time) who just doesn't think Part II was that good, and is wholly unnecessary

You know everything you need to know about Vito's life by the end of the first film, and you learn exactly how ruthless Michael is. Everything in the second film that expands on those things is completely superfluous

Hoo! I started reading this post thinking it was going to end with you saying part III was your favorite or something... :P

I think Godfather Part II was very good, but I do agree that it was unnecessary. They just wanted to make some more moolah by making a movie out of the rest of the stuff from the book that they couldn't fit into the first film.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    So Let It Die is up on PSN, but it seems to be the worst type of F2P. You get a set number of deaths per day, and you're done when you run out unless you pony up some cash. No way to simply buy the game and play it. Still going to download it (at a horrifically slow speed), but I'm not holding high hopes anymore. I got really hyped watching the interview this morning, and I'm already regretting it.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    e: Woops, wrong thread.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I think Godfather Part II was very good, but I do agree that it was unnecessary. They just wanted to make some more moolah by making a movie out of the rest of the stuff from the book that they couldn't fit into the first film.

Luckily it's single best crafted God-Damned cash-in I've ever had the pleasure to witness.

High hopes for TLoU Part II! I'm already brimming with melancholy.

President Evil on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    So Let It Die is up on PSN, but it seems to be the worst type of F2P. You get a set number of deaths per day, and you're done when you run out unless you pony up some cash. No way to simply buy the game and play it. Still going to download it (at a horrifically slow speed), but I'm not holding high hopes anymore. I got really hyped watching the interview this morning, and I'm already regretting it.

Finally, the true arcade experience at home!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Ugh, that sounds like a gross paywall to what could be an interesting game.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Can someone just give a quick list of the games that were revealed? Thanks! :)

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    • Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite! That's so pringles! But seriously, awesome seeing Ms. Marvel get some top billing there, and while it might suck that we may not see the mutants in the game, I'd love to see Rocket, Groot, Star-Lord, Dr. Strange, Black Widow, and the rest of the MCU previously unrepresented the series join the fight. And we can buy MvC3 again! Off to spend money!
    • Uncharted 4: Lost Legacy looks alright. I like Chloe enough.
    • Let It Die has a hell of a voice cast. Sorry to hear it sounds quite shit.
    • Last of Us Part 2 looks pretty fucking dark.
    • Destiny stuff, which looks alright.
    • Can we have some real talk about Crash Bandicoot? The game was never great.
    • Horizon: Zero Dawn still looks glorious.
    • WINDJAMMERS!
    • Knack 2. Yay?
    • Motherfucking WipEout! I'll take more of that all day long!
    • Akuma in SF5. This is my surprised face.
    • Lara Croft Go coming to PS4. I like it a lot on mobile, and would love to see it get a wider audience.
    • Parappa! LocoRoco! Patapon! This is great!
    • Yakuza stuff.
    • Danganropa V3.
    • Ni No Kuni 2.
    • Absolver, which is some kind of melee online game. Looks possibly alright.
    • Starblood Arena, some PSVR shooter.
    • Ys Origin, somehow a super niche game gets some billing at PSX. I'm looking forward to it.
    • Nex Machina, super colorful SmashTV-alike.
    • Dreadnaught coming to PS4.
    • Gravity Rush 2 DLC trailer.
    • NieR Automata got a release date, and a demo is coming soonish.
    • Best news of all. ACE COMBAT 7! They're back to Strangereal! SO EXCITE!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Out of all of that, Horizon and Ni No Kuni pique my interest the most.

I don't like Naughty Dog's games (I know I'm definitely in the minority there), I quit Destiny because outside of that one expansion it was bullshit, and the rest are things I may investigate later, but whatever.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I am beyond hyped for the Crash Bandicoot remaster

Looks like they put a ton of work into it, and $40 for three games, two of which are some of my favorite games ever

• Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    is the vr in ace combat mandatory?

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    All of Sony's studios have a lot of creative freedom, which is why Naughty Dog can say "we're not doing Uncharted anymore" and Sony are okay with it (and even if they give the franchise to another studio, Naughty Dog still controls it, they turned down a second Vita Uncharted game). If they're doing TLOU Part 2, it's because they want to make it.
    Dashui wrote: »
    The sequel might be wonderful, but there's no good reason to go back to The Last of Us. That first game is sublime and tells a complete, damn near perfect story.

It's video games, it was successful, this was inevitable, still disappointing. Just let a horse rest every once in a while, industry.

You could always not play the sequel. :P

I'd like to think Naughty Dog has a bit more autonomy/creative freedom than just churning out a sequel because, too. I also have confidence in their ability to come up with interesting, appropriate stories. Until I'm shown otherwise, I'm going to be optimistic about this one.

Neil Druckmann: “Like many of you, we have a deep love for the world of The Last of Us and its characters, and while a sequel may have seemed like a foregone conclusion, that wasn’t the case. We knew that it needed to be a story worth telling and, perhaps more importantly, a story worthy of Joel and Ellie. After spending years on different ideas (and almost giving up), we finally uncovered a story that felt special — a story that evolved into an epic journey.”

Pretty much. I mean, Naughty Dog did just say "we're done with Uncharted and Nathan Drake", so it's safe to say they have the freedom to move on and experiment with what they're doing next. Sony tends to give their studios enough rope to make something out of it or hang themselves, which can result in successes (Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla, etc) and failures (Evolution and Sony Liverpool). Well, except for Japan Studio and Polyphony Digital anyway, Japanese employment laws mean that those studios are basically untouchable (which is why asshole companies like Konami try to make their developers quit by making them absolutely miserable).

If Naughty Dog are not only making a TLOU Part II but also making it star Ellie and Joel again, it's because Druckmann wants to do it. The sad news is Bruce Straley won't be partnering up with him this time around, he's taking a year-long sabbatical.
    is the vr in ace combat mandatory?

Optional.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Going back to PSX for the last day. If anybody that's going see's me, feel free to give me a shout so we can hang out and party it up for my birthday. Oh you'll know me when you see me, trust me...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

I was under the impression that if your character dies, they die permanently unless you use a token, which you buy with real money, which brings you back to life immediately and you keep going

but if you do die permanently, you get a new character and start from the beginning, but if you can get back to where your original character died, you pick up everything you dropped

This is the first I've heard of having a set number of deaths per day

edit: Oh, and apparently you can earn some revive tokens in-game by completing quests or somesuch

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

I was under the impression that if your character dies, they die permanently unless you use a token, which you buy with real money, which brings you back to life immediately and you keep going

but if you do die permanently, you get a new character and start from the beginning, but if you can get back to where your original character died, you pick up everything you dropped

This is the first I've heard of having a set number of deaths per day

edit: Oh, and apparently you can earn some revive tokens in-game by completing quests or somesuch

Your impression is wrong - if you kill your character, who appears as an enemy in-game, they return to your meatlocker and you can re-select them again

liEt3nH.png
    Oh okay, that's actually pretty cool

But is there really a certain amount of times you can die per day? Because I've been following the game since it was announced and that was never mentioned

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There is a certain amount of times you can revive, and it's based off of how many death coins you have, and I think you get some each day

liEt3nH.png
    Alright, yeah that's not a very big deal to me

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    There is a certain amount of times you can revive, and it's based off of how many death coins you have, and I think you get some each day

So, console games are finally embraced the facebook game model. Yaaaaay.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

It's free

Who cares

VANE looks awesome:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U7aOhO8lbU&list=PLol_ykYs3OQ4eExaDDaYOGHzsr_FpkC-O&index=6

There's a bunch of other panels and Livecast clips in that playlist too if any of you are interested. Death Stranding, TLOU Part 2, Horizon and a bunch of other games are all featured.

Also, one of the panels was a really cool one on accessibility for games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gslH30CTao

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

It's free

Who cares

I do.

Because if it's successful, other studios publishers will start shoehorning those kinds of anti-consumer mechanics into games in order to make more money on the DLC tokens/turns/whatevers, thus utterly ruining an entire generation of games.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Bunch of free dynamic themes available here if you complete the "quests" (takes less than five minutes): http://live.playstation.com/

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Going back to PSX for the last day. If anybody that's going see's me, feel free to give me a shout so we can hang out and party it up for my birthday. Oh you'll know me when you see me, trust me...

Not that I'm at PSX to know for sure, but I'm very intrigued by what you mean when you say one would know you to see you.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Ace Combat 7 makes me happy. I was afraid it would be VR only and would be the third strike for the series.

Seriously, the series hasn't been good since the PS2, AC0 was the last good title. 6 being on Xbox only was stupid, Infinity was a cash grab. Assault Horizon had a great OST and a good answer to make machine gun fire viable, but the setting along with the non-plane parts were trash.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Bunch of free dynamic themes available here if you complete the "quests" (takes less than five minutes): http://live.playstation.com/

Anyway to preview the themes before doing the quests?

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Nioh theme redeemed, DS4/Headset contests entered. Thanks! :)

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Wait a sec. The Last guardian comes out tomorrow??? its actually releasing?

WTF marketing?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »

WTF marketing?

I hope it's good.

Also I'm putting it off until Christmas.

Anyway to preview the themes before doing the quests?

Don't think so, but it takes mere minutes and it's free. Don't like it? Don't use it.

WTF marketing?

Sony actually put a lot more effort into TLG's marketing than they have with a lot of their other games, like R&C. They've had billboards, a CG trailer that screened in movie theatres and quite a few trailers over the last few weeks.

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular

WTF marketing?

Sony actually put a lot more effort into TLG's marketing than they have with a lot of their other games, like R&C. They've had billboards, a CG trailer that screened in movie theatres and quite a few trailers over the last few weeks.

I remember reading on twitter about billboards appearing.
    I take it it was all very local. I.e. limited to a few "key" cities/locations, right?

WTF marketing?

I remember reading on twitter about billboards appearing.
    I take it it was all very local. I.e. limited to a few "key" cities/locations, right?

Yeah, I think all the ones I saw from photos were in New York, LA or San Francisco.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Not all of them are dynamic, unfortunately. Specifically the Horizon and Nioh are static, not sure about the others.

Edit: Yeah, I can't say any of them are worth it. Most of them are silent themes, one has the default background 'music' and only the Windjammers one has sounds and such unique to it.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    Windjammers one is totally worth it.

Also check this:

https://youtu.be/0R0WvE8Wzec

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

WTF marketing?

I'm not even talking about Sony....I mean considering the massive hype that has been with just about every game magazine/web publisher about its possible existence, I figure i would have been bombarded with just people talking about the release, gawker articles, etc. As far as the game itself goes, I've seen one trailer of playable gameplay...the one that came out last E3 i think. nothing new since.

I might have to wait for a review before picking it up. Something about this kind of worries me.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    BULLET FUCKING STORM!!!!!

I've been saying for a while if I could get one game to remaster after the ME trilogy it would be this game. I love love love bulletstorm. I am so happy to hear this news.. and it looks breathtaking! Easily one of the most under appreciated games ever.

When my wife (fiancee at the time)and i moved in together we literally had no money. I cancelled my xb1 pre order at the time to afford our first and last. No Internet and no cable.. I spent the year replaying all of my 360 games offline. At the end of it, it terms of sheer enjoyment, my top three were ME trilogy, bioshock infinite, and bulletstorm.

I'm a really happy camper now.

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »

I've been saying for a while if I could get one game to remaster after the ME trilogy it would be this game. I love love love bulletstorm. I am so happy to hear this news.. and it looks breathtaking! Easily one of the most under appreciated games ever.

When my wife (fiancee at the time)and i moved in together we literally had no money. I cancelled my xb1 pre order at the time to afford our first and last. No Internet and no cable.. I spent the year replaying all of my 360 games offline. At the end of it, it terms of sheer enjoyment, my top three were ME trilogy, bioshock infinite, and bulletstorm.

I literally cannot find any information on this. Can you spare a link?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »

I literally cannot find any information on this. Can you spare a link?

Bulletstorm remaster

I thought the game was ok, but it was kind of a one-trick pony and I got bored of it pretty quick.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wow I really suck at reading. I definitely thought he said Bulletstorm 2.