As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hamilton] is now on Disney+

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So for somebody who is not a big rap music fan, and only has some vague idea of who these artists y'all are taking about are, will I enjoy this mix tape?
    If you love Hamilton: the musical, you'll love this mixtape. Full stop.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    eh...I love the musical, own the soundtrack, bought the book...and I'm really not feeling most of what I've heard on the mixtape.

If you can listen on Spotify first I'd recommend that before buying it

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    So for somebody who is not a big rap music fan, and only has some vague idea of who these artists y'all are taking about are, will I enjoy this mix tape?
    If you love Hamilton: the musical, you'll love this mixtape. Full stop.

Contrary opinion:
    I love the musical, and think the mixtape is wildly uneven. There's about half of the tape that I plum don't like at all, and only a couple of songs that I truly love.

I'd recommend Spotifying it first, and then buying the tracks that grab ya.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah.

Even some of the unreleased stuff, I mean I love the original open letter, but this feels just really disjointed and misses the point.

I think overall (I'm halfway through it) I like it enough, but I don't think it is going to go into my regular rotation of stuff to listen to.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Loving the musical absolutely does not mean you'll love the mixtape.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I would have rather had a well-produced half-album of the unreleased stuff (especially Open Letter) from the original cast.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's neat that it exists, but there's only some of it that I really love. Most of the covers, I'd rather just listen to the actual song

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The mixtape has higher highs and lower lows than the musical, I think

The musical is very even and polished, and the mixtape is, well, a mixtape

My biggest gripe with the mixtape is that I don't think it stands well on its own

It can only exist as a companion piece to the musical, which is a real shame

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I would have rather had a well-produced half-album of the unreleased stuff (especially Open Letter) from the original cast.

I spliced the workshop recording of open letter into the original Broadway recording and it still sounds good.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I feel like history has its eyes is a bust.
    I love j. OnNy leggy but he just ain't Washington

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Wrote My Way Out is the first one that really has caught my attention so far.

That's a good standalone.

oooohh usher. be still my high school heart

Edit: Ok, so It's Quiet Uptown got me all emotional. but mainly because I'm seeing flashes of BLM marches, Standing Rock.... Just. OH goodness gracious.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    3 am panic attacks seem to be a hallmark of my transition back to being on all my crazy pills so this thread was a well-timed distraction while I wait for my Klonopin to kick in

I agree that they should break out the stupid Fallon skit so it isn't the same track as the actual song, which isn't bad. I was hyped for ages about Congratulations and Cabinet Battle 3 and neither of those let me down, though I wish they'd got Daveed to be Jefferson at the least.

um also it's only sorta related via Daveed Diggs and hip hop and all, but I hope y'all have checked out The Get Down on Netflix!!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah Congratulations and Cab Battle 3 were stellar.

I'm not a fan of any of the covers. I like the originals better and don't think that anything was added by having 3 people sing Satisfied at all. Even if one of them is Queen Latifah.

But, I wanna hear Jasmine Jones sing "Say Yes to This"

And I want to listen to a medley of Congratulations and Burn.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah Congratulations and Cab Battle 3 were stellar.

I'm not a fan of any of the covers. I like the originals better and don't think that anything was added by having 3 people sing Satisfied at all. Even if one of them is Queen Latifah.

But, I wanna hear Jasmine Jones sing "Say Yes to This"

And I want to listen to a medley of Congratulations and Burn.

I actually like some of the covers but they're not world shattering or anything. Ja Rule actually Ja Rule-ing in Helpless was funny to me but that's such a clear reference in the original. And man songs like Wrote My Way Out really make me think of The Get Down.

also the covers have made it possible for me to listen to Dear Theodosia again without being like OH GOOD THE SADNESS SONG where all the children die young

cabsy on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Usher's cover is the worst of them. It sounds like mediocre karaoke.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    3 am panic attacks seem to be a hallmark of my transition back to being on all my crazy pills so this thread was a well-timed distraction while I wait for my Klonopin to kick in

um also it's only sorta related via Daveed Diggs and hip hop and all, but I hope y'all have checked out The Get Down on Netflix!!
    The Get Down is fantastic. Baz Luhrmann at his best.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Usher's cover is the worst of them. It sounds like mediocre karaoke.

I cannot understand this opinion in the slightest

Usher's version is so good

Probably one of the best straight covers on the album

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of the songs of the mixtape don't really go as far out as they could in regards to mixing. Many are just covers- and while good, they're not exactly mindblowing. I actually really like the ones that do something different, or are very different from the originals.

Also, is this the place to talk about other Musicals? Saw two in the last couple of weeks:

Dear Evan Hanson- The wife bought tickets for this mainly based on strong word when they were off broadway, but neither of us really cared for it. Ben Platt is great in it, but the story didn't work for me, and after having seen The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time, some of its characters and staging seemed like a retread. Ben Platt is a great singer though, but none of the songs are really memorable, and he seems to be the focus of most of them, so you don't get a lot of variety.

Something Rotten- I had really low expectations for this one, as it's closing at the end of the year and didn't last long, but man we had a blast seeing it. It's not a thought provoking musical or anything, but it was super fun, with really intricate stage design and lots of flash. It helps if you're a fan of musical/Shakespeare as they poke fun at both.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The covers are my least favorite tracks.

• Options
    I like most of the covers, but I think I was hoping for something different with this album than other people were

See, back before Hamilton the Musical came out, Lin-Manuel Miranda had talked about the idea of a Hamilton Mixtape, which was just going to be a series of songs vaguely telling the story of Alexander Hamilton

Obviously this turned into the musical, which is quite good and all that

But when he started talking up the mixtape again, I was hoping that it would be similar to the mixtape he had alluded to before - with a lot of crossover from the musical, of course, as many of the plans from the mixtape had made it into the musical

As someone who is way more into the idea of a mixtape than a musical, that would've been real swell

• Options
    The only cover I absolutely love is Dear Theodosia but then Ben Folds can't do wrong.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Finally listening to the Mixtape myself.

So far only to Wait for It.

Really liked Wrote my Way Out though.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The only cover I absolutely love is Dear Theodosia but then Ben Folds can't do wrong.

That's the one I like most, too, but it's also a perfect fit for Regina Spektor and Ben Folds (since it's basically Still Fighting It)

The other covers mostly don't go far enough to differentiate themselves from the originals (Usher, Ashanti + Ja Rule) or, in the case of Quiet Uptown, are too overproduced. Kelly Clarkson could sing that song beautifully without any music at all, but it was destroyed by production

• Options
    See, I much preferred the 2nd Dear Theodosia with Chance the Rapper. The one with Ben Folds was just... eh. There just didn't seem to be enough emotion in the song for me.

I think Quiet Uptown was the only one that gave me some serious pause, but that was more for the mental images that it conjured up for me while imagining the music video to go with it.

But yeah, I'd have to say that I vastly prefer the original songs on the mixtape. Wrote my way out, Congratulations, Cabinet 3 were all outstanding.

But I think I'll just listen to the soundtrack and maybe put some of the mixtape songs mixed in where I think they should be.

• Options
    I think that is my major complaint with the covers.

The originals all had so much emotion behind them. A lot of these just lack the same intensity.

• Options
    Usher's cover blooooooows

• Options
    well yeah but it's Usher. He could sing the phone book at me and i'd get a little melty

• Options
    well yeah but it's Usher. He could sing the phone book at me and i'd get a little melty

You make me want to leave the one I'm with and start a new relationship with it yooooou this is what cha do

• Options

You make me want to leave the one I'm with and start a new relationship with it yooooou this is what cha do

you are so not Usher.

• Options

you are so not Usher.

I can do a mean Usher impression.

• Options
    URSHER GOT THE VOICE THAT MAKE YOUR BOOTY GO

• Options
    fart

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Why does Luda say Ursher, anyway?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Why does Luda say Ursher, anyway?

Because he's fucking Luda that's why!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fair. Fair.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Huh... looks like LMM is colaborating with Pat Rothfuss on an adaptation of the Kingkiller Chronicle.

Not many details on what specifically they're making, movie, TV series, video game, etc., but honestly with those two, the article could have just said "HEY DID YOU KNOW THESE TWO CREATIVE IDOLS OF YOURS ARE FRIENDS AND HERE'S A PICTURE OF THEM IN THE SAME ROOM" and I'd still be getting a bad case of the fanboy sweats.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I didn't love the mixtape as much as I had hoped, but it is all worth it just for Open Letter. So good.

At least it does its job up in this rumpus!

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So hey you remember when Lin ran a prizeo campaign for a chance at Hamilton tickets in exchange for your donation?

What if you could do the same thing again, but win tickets to ALL the Hamilton shows across America?

https://www.prizeo.com/prizes/lin-manuel-miranda/the-ultimate-hamilton-experience-as-a-guest-of?utm_campaign=ultimatehamiltonexperience&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter