As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Doppelgaber

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Doppelgaber

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    He's too close to the truth apparently lol

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    my guess is that gabe using words that big means it's not gabe but instead a broodax that needs to be knifed.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    That's actually a good point. When you can build whatever you want and throw lots of stone and marble together any way you want, you're going to have castles and canals and fancy clothes, not just make everything and everyone look like an iPhone/solar cell.

Absalon on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    using big words and engaging in thoughtful analysis/criticism of the work

• ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    Haha, I'm dying for the text post on this one. I wish they posted at the same time.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    10/10

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    that's not fair, some of the anachronisms are for blatant product placement rather than hollow aesthetics

https://youtu.be/C3nBu5JYdi8

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    that's not fair, some of the anachronisms are for blatant product placement rather than hollow aesthetics

That's breathtakingly bad. I would never have believed someone if they'd tried to explain it. It's worse than I could possibly imagine.

• EfesellEfesell Registered User regular
    The Cup Noodle quest is at least having fun with it and I can get behind that. The branded camping gear is way weirder.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Is it worse than Shaun Skateboarding, where you "fight the man" by turning propaganda billboards into ads for Stride Gum and Wendy's?

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Or Subway?

Efesell wrote: »
    The Cup Noodle quest is at least having fun with it and I can get behind that. The branded camping gear is way weirder.

Would you say the part in the clip is having fun with it, or are you talking about a different thing? Because I've often found that when we think a specific product of Japanese culture could only be doing something ironically, we are often wrong. It's just not something they do.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of Gabe has rubbed off onto Tycho

• EfesellEfesell Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Would you say the part in the clip is having fun with it, or are you talking about a different thing? Because I've often found that when we think a specific product of Japanese culture could only be doing something ironically, we are often wrong. It's just not something they do.

The part in the clip specifically, no, but I enjoy the second part where you go hunt behemoth meat to fancy up your regular ass realistic looking Cup Noodles.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    my guess is that gabe using words that big means it's not gabe but instead a broodax that needs to be knifed.

Plot-twist - this time it really is Gabe and he had been taking 'expand your vocabulary' lessons.

"I... I just wanted... to be more... like you..."

H9f4bVe.png
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Plot-twist - this time it really is Gabe and he had been taking 'expand your vocabulary' lessons.

"I... I just wanted... to be more... like you..."

nothing of value was lost

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Absolutely true. There is nothing but earnest solemnity in this product collaboration.

https://youtu.be/bvaTAgkWy6c

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.

Absolutely true. There is nothing but earnest solemnity in this product collaboration.

https://youtu.be/bvaTAgkWy6c

That's about as ironic as Alanis Morissette, though. There's a difference between being ironic and being silly.

It's possible I just misunderstood your original comment, though. If you were talking about "having fun with it" as "begin zany and wacky" rather than "pretending to be earnest and solemn because they know it's actually tacky and stupid", then I'd agree with you. You only have to watch a few Japanese ad reels to know they have silliness in spades.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck?

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Ah, now I see he has a mind to do some stabbing. When I first looked at it on my phone this morning, I thought Tycho was planning to slice off his own fingers and I wasn't sure how he reached that decision. haha

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck?

Sounds like your could use a cool Lipton Iced Tea.
    Zero calories but not zero taste. Most iced teas use prawns for flavor, but Lipton Iced Tea uses whole flash frozen shrimp.

I see you appreciate the difference.

• Comedy RefluxComedy Reflux Web creator FlandersRegistered User regular
    Tycho seems to have frost bite on his right hand fingers. I would think Mike tried something new with shading, a work in progress perhaps?

Banner_2.jpg
    Back after a three year hiatus!
  • noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    That art is on point!

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So, Tycho the Tonberry? Probably unintentional? I'm not sure. :P

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/C3nBu5JYdi8

Is that... is that a part of the game?
    I think I just threw up a little.

Maybe I've been away from modern games too long and just don't know how the medium has developed (...fallen?).

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I would say it's more an example of lugubrious discotheque.