As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pushups, Situps and plenty of [Chat]

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    the date rape RPG, without dating

goddamnit

i'll never be as good at anything as the person is who wrote that

FATAL is literally that: it sold itself as the 'adult' swords & sorcery game that has sex stuff in it!

But it doesn't. There are no rules in the game involving any kind of consensual sex or courtship. Just rape. Lots & lots of rape.

:-1:

Also like just

I have had sex in... ok now thinking about it I don't know if I've ever played an RPG where I didn't have sex

BUT NEVERMIND THAT SUDDEN REALIZATION, my point is you know someone who's like "we need sex mechanics in our game!" is not working quite right because you basically never need mechanics for a thing people can just do, and courtship with PCs needs basically zero rules and courtship with NPCs largely just need dialogue and maybe influence rules.

Yeah, stuff like that doesn't *need* granular rules since it's... talking with someone and trying to convince them to sleep with you! You don't need dice for that.

This explains why my system of throwing dice at women has failed to get me laid.

*throws escape dice at Orphane*

maybe you would need dice if you were trying to sex up degenerate gamblers?

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »

goddamnit

FATAL is literally that: it sold itself as the 'adult' swords & sorcery game that has sex stuff in it!

But it doesn't. There are no rules in the game involving any kind of consensual sex or courtship. Just rape. Lots & lots of rape.

Also like just

I have had sex in... ok now thinking about it I don't know if I've ever played an RPG where I didn't have sex

BUT NEVERMIND THAT SUDDEN REALIZATION, my point is you know someone who's like "we need sex mechanics in our game!" is not working quite right because you basically never need mechanics for a thing people can just do, and courtship with PCs needs basically zero rules and courtship with NPCs largely just need dialogue and maybe influence rules.

Yeah, stuff like that doesn't *need* granular rules since it's... talking with someone and trying to convince them to sleep with you! You don't need dice for that.

This explains why my system of throwing dice at women has failed to get me laid.

*throws escape dice at Orphane*

I mean maybe you just need the right women

*Throws "thanks for the encouragement* dice at Shiv*

I ate an engineer
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20 try not to cry

try not to cry:
    1d20 11 [1d20=11]

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    good job p10 I think that is a passing score

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    clearly you need to throw sex dice

aRkpc.gif
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    emnmnme wrote: »
    ok now thinking about it I don't know if I've ever played an RPG where I didn't have sex

What did you do to Tifa in that Ferris Wheel??

You're not my parole officer >: (

(Also I meant pen and paper RPGs - and it occurs to me that I'm just talking online. But yeah.)

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Geth roll 1d20 try not to cry

You need to include the DC and any modifiers upfront.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

goddamnit

Ow the Edge.

To some extent I would welcome an RPG that included sections on courtship & sexuality, and especially ones that explore uncharted gaming territory around that subject (like the fact that courtship is more often than not a disaster! Almost all games operate on an assumption that dating is almost always successful - which is okay in the sense that games typically want to facilitate a fantasy, but also something of a shame because there is a lot of worthwhile narrative / discussion to be had when it comes to topics like rejection, break-ups, infidelity, falling out of love, etc.

Are you talking video games or P&P?

Pretty sure "try not to cry" is like DC 19

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    To some extent I would welcome an RPG that included sections on courtship & sexuality, and especially ones that explore uncharted gaming territory around that subject (like the fact that courtship is more often than not a disaster! Almost all games operate on an assumption that dating is almost always successful - which is okay in the sense that games typically want to facilitate a fantasy, but also something of a shame because there is a lot of worthwhile narrative / discussion to be had when it comes to topics like rejection, break-ups, infidelity, falling out of love, etc.

Um

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    skipply do you not appreciate what a challenge not crying is

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I am sleepy already and I haven't even had dinner

Christ I'm old

I may not look it

But I can feel it, Gandalf

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

I just know you've got +9 to save vs life

Atomika wrote: »
    I am sleepy already and I haven't even had dinner

Christ I'm old

I may not look it

But I can feel it, Gandalf

Querry and I were basically ready for sleep at like 5PM yesterday

I just know you've got +9 to save vs life
    this positivity disgusts me

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Staring at forms for what is essentially tuition insurance and wondering how I got here

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

goddamnit

Ow the Edge.

Both.

And I should say that, yes, I agree you clearly don't need dice mechanics for that - but games that want to include more of this material as part of their setting & culture info, IMHO, would be quite welcome (I suppose now that I think about it, Monsterhearts does this quite well).

With Love and Courage
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Staring at forms for what is essentially tuition insurance and wondering how I got here

Well my guess the kimono was involved.

u7stthr17eud.png

Did you miss the talk about condoms last chat?

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

is that what- you guys move, kid gets hurt or whatever and can't finish the year?

what are those?

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Monsterhearts is basically messy teenage drama/courtship: the TRPG

goddamnit

Ow the Edge.

Both.

And I should say that, yes, I agree you clearly don't need dice mechanics for that - but games that want to include more of this material as part of their setting & culture info, IMHO, would be quite welcome (I suppose now that I think about it, Monsterhearts does this quite well).

Hrm

I think that games need to start prioritizing relationships to have that happen, P&P wise (like, in a not-indie way).

HOWEVER also re: video games, while I don't think it really would be nice to have to deal with unexpected infidelity in a game where you want a fantasy, I think games are getting much better at displaying complex relationships as of late, so that's pretty neat.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Um

I have like a 100% success rate.

Never try, never fail. That's my motto.

Move to New Zealand

what are those?

Grifters who wear latex bodysuits, I think.

is that what- you guys move, kid gets hurt or whatever and can't finish the year?

basically

I didn't read it thoroughly because my general philosophy is to only insure things we need but can't afford to replace. Which is why I don't have substantial life insurance.

hue hue hue

Brain: you should eat sensibly for dinner. Healthy and cheap.

*drives to pizza place*

Brain: Okay, at least just order a salad.

Waitress: Whatcha drinking?

Mouth: BEER, GOOD WOMAN

Brain: Awesome. Great choice.

Waitress: Anything to eat?

Brain: Salad. The thing your mouth should say is "salad."

Waitress: Monday is two-for-one medium pizzas.

Mouth: YES PIZZAS TWO PIZZAS ME EAT GIVE

Brain: So proud right now.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Um

That's an exaggeration (...well, unless you're a young lady trying to do something like Internet dating, then the descriptor is completely accurate :P ), but: not many people end up as life partners with their first date.

With Love and Courage
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    63zIhEN.jpg
    wkThSqp.jpg

nibXTE7.png

Um

That's an exaggeration (...well, unless you're a young lady trying to do something like Internet dating, then the descriptor is completely accurate :P ), but: not many people end up as life partners with their first date.

I think Feral is objecting to the use of the word "disaster" for what we tend to call "failure" but realistically, the most uncharitable we should get is "learning experience that may not have been worth it"

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

*drives to pizza place*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mc4iaN-_RQ

My mom doesn't consider her twenty-five year marriage that got her three kids and a bunch of travel and a new family (that still loves her, she is around at Christmases) and so on a failure, which is probably healthier than many people's views.

(that's not to say disasters don't happen, I just think we should look at ended relationships only rarely as failures. A failure, to me, implies that it was a net negative, which isn't true of many of my relationships.)

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    @Blameless Cleric I love it, thanks!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

*drives to pizza place*

Did you at least order a vegetarian pizza? That's like a salad.

Move to New Zealand
    My mom doesn't consider her twenty-five year marriage that got her three kids and a bunch of travel and a new family (that still loves her, she is around at Christmases) and so on a failure, which is probably healthier than many people's views.

(that's not to say disasters don't happen, I just think we should look at ended relationships only rarely as failures. A failure, to me, implies that it was a net negative, which isn't true of many of my relationships.)

Agreed.

My ex and I are back to our platonic good vibes and we have an amazing kiddo to raise together. Divorce was the best decision we've made in a long time. And we'll always have the good times.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Good grief, the Simpsons really did advertise everything back in the day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvPRUzhuYUU

In fairness, this Thai curry pizza is fucking legit, so shut your shit, brain

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The problem with not using dice rolls for courtship and dating and sex is that you instead have to roleplay romance with your DM and that sounds like a rather awkward process

of course, resolving this via dice rolls and having the results read to you might be only slight less awkward

Apothe0sis on
    In fairness, this Thai curry pizza is fucking legit, so shut your shit, brain

EXPLAIN

This discussion has been closed.