As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pushups, Situps and plenty of [Chat]

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Even as a white dude I feel betrayed by this country. I liked to believe most of the folks in it were decent human beings.

They are, kind of. They're just poor and desperate and let's be honest, very stupid.

this.

A lot of people who voted for trump, like the people who voted for brexit, were swayed by populist messages that promised to fix their problems, and that was (sadly) more important to them than the toxic stuff trump was also doing, which they may or may not believe he even said or did because our ability to talk about it rationally in this country has gone down the shitter.

Also, a lot of people sat on their hands this election, or voted for a couple of not-misogynist-racists who had other glaring problems.

About 25% of the entire country voted for trump, and I think roughly half of them were just people down on their luck and swayed by the charisma and promises of a skilled con artist. The other half are horrible enough that you could put easily put them into some kind of container with a handle made of wicker...

And that sucks, because more than one in every ten people in this country are actively awful towards progress, which is a small percentage but larger than it should be, and their message/ideology is going to cause problems for soooo many more people because they are part of the "winning team"

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Just got a blood test. Lab is across the street from gf's, ended up getting to work early. I knew I was dating her for a reason.

Apparently you don't even need to know your blood type anymore these days, and they won't trust you if you do tell them after an accident, so that's interesting

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Even as a white dude I feel betrayed by this country. I liked to believe most of the folks in it were decent human beings.

Well, if by this you mean you thought most people wouldn't vote for Trump, the good news is that most people didn't!

Clinton's going to wind up with like 3 million more votes.

So that's some cold comfort: we expressly did not want this, but it didn't matter. At least it should make it a bit easier to make common cause against the inevitable tide of bullshit.

Didn't another elector say they weren't going to vote for Trump from texas? The first one resigned. Not that it matters, we'd need like 37 of em and everyone shouts doom and gloom anytime the idea gets brought up. "But if the electors choose against the people" well except they'd be choosing WITH the people based on the Popular Vote's staggering difference.
    If we elected Hitler through just a few states should the EC not veto that? Isn't that the whole point?

It doesn't matter because it isn't going to happen but I've been shocked at how many people seem to think that would be some sort of injustice.

But then again I was confident Clinton had this in the bag and that I would have a snow day today but here I am at work so what do I know

It would be the death of the EC. Which isn't bad. It would lead to what is seen as an illegitimate presidency by a lot of the US even those that voted for Clinton because it is overriding the system. The best case is Clinton survives 2 years of permanent investigations and road blocking. Reduces turn out more in the long run. Probably makes 2018's local elections worse for dems.

In the best case it is slightly bad to no difference for 2 years.

But hey we live in the darkest timeline. If anything would happen it is something truly heinous like violence or a civil war.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I was never as sure about anything for as long as I was sure Trump was gonna lose and I fucking hate myself for how much I wanted to see him have to admit defeat (not that he would have)

I am mad at so many people but I am on that list too, for the way I set myself up to feel how I've felt since election day. I should have known, or at least left room for it in my headspace.

it remains inconceivable and yet also true. hard to deal with.

there's nothing to offer people who are rightly scared.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    update

uber driver did not like Russians ("They're just -- y'know, mean. It must be how they're raised over there") but did like... black cowboys?

"At first when one got out of a car in front'a me for the first time in Houston, I thought -- he's part of a gang! Funny gang, wears cowboy hats. So I was like, 'well where I come from they're red and blue!' and he said 'Man, what?' and we got along great after that, drank together for quite a while. Black cowboys, miss. *shakes head appreciatively*"

also he p much uniformly used his turn signal only immediately AFTER beginning to change lanes and was definitely speeding most of the time

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Just got a blood test. Lab is across the street from gf's, ended up getting to work early. I knew I was dating her for a reason.

Apparently you don't even need to know your blood type anymore these days, and they won't trust you if you do tell them after an accident, so that's interesting

I'm positive i'm a B -

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Oh my god Exit Music (For a Film) - Westworld Soundtrack.

this is some epic shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    In any kind of sane world Trump would've lost by 20 points

I keep waiting for the mental wrinkle I get when I hear "President Trump" to go away and nope, still happens every time.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

They are, kind of. They're just poor and desperate and let's be honest, very stupid.

Didn't more rich white people vote for Trump than poor white people?

Yes, but that doesn't really mean a lot? There are so many more people in sub $50k or 75k incomes that that's where the competiton is - Hillary "won" those tranches, but not nearly hard enough.

Example: Someone gave me a bunch of lip about how she won Genesee County (Flint) and it was like, yes, but she won by less than 10 points . That was a stronghold; you need to be fucking crushing in the cities if you're going to cede the countryside.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Well, if by this you mean you thought most people wouldn't vote for Trump, the good news is that most people didn't!

So that's some cold comfort: we expressly did not want this, but it didn't matter. At least it should make it a bit easier to make common cause against the inevitable tide of bullshit.

Didn't another elector say they weren't going to vote for Trump from texas? The first one resigned. Not that it matters, we'd need like 37 of em and everyone shouts doom and gloom anytime the idea gets brought up. "But if the electors choose against the people" well except they'd be choosing WITH the people based on the Popular Vote's staggering difference.
    If we elected Hitler through just a few states should the EC not veto that? Isn't that the whole point?

It doesn't matter because it isn't going to happen but I've been shocked at how many people seem to think that would be some sort of injustice.

But then again I was confident Clinton had this in the bag and that I would have a snow day today but here I am at work so what do I know

It would be the death of the EC. Which isn't bad. It would lead to what is seen as an illegitimate presidency by a lot of the US even those that voted for Clinton because it is overriding the system. The best case is Clinton survives 2 years of permanent investigations and road blocking. Reduces turn out more in the long run. Probably makes 2018's local elections worse for dems.

But hey we live in the darkest timeline. If anything would happen it is something truly heinous like violence or a civil war.

I mean we just spent 8 years with a lot of the US seeing Obama as an illegitimate Kenyan Muslim and we're still here so

I thought it was a small chunk of vocal people but I guess I was wrong with that one!

I'll take slightly bad over "Abolish the EPA and ruin Education"

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i know i got that O - blood because everyone always try to hit me up and get some of my primo blood

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i know i got that O - blood because everyone always try to hit me up and get some of my primo blood

ur lagging behind P10

I knew an O blood person who gave blood ever 8 weeks like clockwork

U COULD BE SAVING LIVES WHAT ARE YOU DOING

• Options
    i can't remember when i can donate again but i donate on the reg and i did the double red last time

• Options
    i can't remember when i can donate again but i donate on the reg and i did the double red last time

that's cool :D

was just pokin' fun

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

I mean we just spent 8 years with a lot of the US seeing Obama as an illegitimate Kenyan Muslim and we're still here so

I thought it was a small chunk of vocal people but I guess I was wrong with that one!

Handing HUD over to Ben Carson is more scary than "loyal incompetent receives sinecure"

http://www.mtv.com/news/2958552/hud-games/
    Trump's lurching transition to the presidency has run roughshod over so many norms it’s easy to get drawn into describing the whole fantastic, mesmerizing spectacle rather than each somewhat ordinary catastrophe. But every catastrophe is special (just ask an unhappy family), and each one urgently needs to have its story told. Trump is an ADHD seventh-grader set loose with a lighter in a firecracker store: It may be exhausting to follow him down every single aisle, but we need to keep track of each and every fuse that he lights along the way.
    Quoting for perf visual

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

There is a difference of a small chunk believing a conspiracy theory and the election as seen by the country being overturned by a small number of unelected "electors" who most of the country do not even understand beyond a number they see on the news during a presidential election.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    errybody wants my plasma but unfortunately they're usually not set up to take it at school drives + the nearest actual red cross clinic is not accessible by bus

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

ur lagging behind P10

I knew an O blood person who gave blood ever 8 weeks like clockwork

U COULD BE SAVING LIVES WHAT ARE YOU DOING

I asked a doctor once and they told me that they pretty much never use O- blood transfusion for people of a different blood type?

IDK how accurate that is, knowing my memory may be faulty, tho.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    bleric shouldn't you be studying for a midterm or something?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

AH I AM AT WORK

I WAS UP TIL 6AM

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hey @Mazzyx I looked up rates of herpes incidence the other day for no particular reason and noticed that black people have like infinity percent seropositivity

And I know that's the case with other STDs...

Do you know why that is?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    errybody wants my plasma but unfortunately they're usually not set up to take it at school drives + the nearest actual red cross clinic is not accessible by bus

I don't give blood. I take it

• Options

Wait, do they need to centrifuge the blood AS IT'S BEING DRAWN?

• Options
    I should give blood this year. I was too dangerously skinny in years past and I'm reluctant to do it these days. After my blood results come in I'll look into it.

The nurse said to aim for holidays and long weekends when people are dumb and drunk. I was like damn, that's.... totally a thing, isn't it.

• Options

I think so yeah

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

METALLLLLL

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    ok i gotta go do a job but I'm now at that level of sadness where I want to just sleep until it goes away

I will fall asleep in the mountains and emerge in 10 years like Rip Van Winkle, trailing a long beard behind me

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

I think so yeah

I wonder why they can't just centrifuge blood after the fact. Most intriguing.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hey @Mazzyx I looked up rates of herpes incidence the other day for no particular reason and noticed that black people have like infinity percent seropositivity

Do you know why that is?

I actually do not. Not specifically for herpes.

Though usually with stuff like HIV it boils down to the standard public health reasons:
    1)Poverty
    2)Poverty
    3)Racism
    4)Education and access to services thus the first three on this list

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ok i gotta go do a job but I'm now at that level of sadness where I want to just sleep until it goes away

I will fall asleep in the mountains and emerge in 10 years like Rip Van Winkle, trailing a long beard behind me

I think the saddest thing I saw all week was going to a Halal butcher and seeing Trump's face plastered on the front of a muslim newspaper with a title along the lines of "what do we do now?"

• Options

Do you know why that is?

I actually do not. Not specifically for herpes.

Though usually with stuff like HIV it boils down to the standard public health reasons:
    1)Poverty
    2)Poverty
    3)Racism
    4)Education and access to services thus the first three on this list

Well, I was more curious about STDs in general. I'm curious about what proximal behaviors cause this - like, is it increased number of sexual partners? Decreased condom usage? That kind of thing. Which I think all would probably flow from what you listed.

• Options

AH I AM AT WORK

I WAS UP TIL 6AM

WELL WHY WHERE YOU UP SO LATE?

• Options
    apparently the company blood drives are only spring/fall instead of every 3-4 months so there will be inefficiency in my convenient blood donating

• Options
    So yesterday I bought a long sweater, knee length and slim, that has a hood and doesn't fasten shut

It makes me look like a nameless extra from Deus Ex and I love it

• Options

There is a difference of a small chunk believing a conspiracy theory and the election as seen by the country being overturned by a small number of unelected "electors" who most of the country do not even understand beyond a number they see on the news during a presidential election.

But why should I give a shit what people who don't understand how the country works think?

Ignorance is not a virtue and if they weren't assed to pay attention when it was explained to them how this works, why should I respect their opinion in the slightest?

And I think we'd be surprised at how big that "small chunk" of Muslim Kenyan Obama people is.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I think the saddest thing I saw all week was going to a Halal butcher and seeing Trump's face plastered on the front of a muslim newspaper with a title along the lines of "what do we do now?"

Give all the Smart People in the Room at the DNC their walking papers for the culmination of twenty years of horrible strategy?

They seem determined to resist any blame, though.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @Blameless Cleric Cowboy Troy appreciates uber driver

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Didn't more rich white people vote for Trump than poor white people?

Yes, but that doesn't really mean a lot? There are so many more people in sub $50k or 75k incomes that that's where the competiton is - Hillary "won" those tranches, but not nearly hard enough.

Example: Someone gave me a bunch of lip about how she won Genesee County (Flint) and it was like, yes, but she won by less than 10 points . That was a stronghold; you need to be fucking crushing in the cities if you're going to cede the countryside.

I know a lot of my liberal friends were sort of pissed off by the "I'm with her" stuff that was mostly boiled down to "Vote for hillary because she's a woman" which was followed up with "Don't vote for trump, he's bad"

To a lot of people, and I'm not saying this is right or that I agree with it so plz no hate, the campaign had nothing that really stood its ground. You had a clearly "business-as-usual" candidate telling you to vote for her "or else" and it turned a lot of them off on that idea. So they stayed home.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I think so yeah

I wonder why they can't just centrifuge blood after the fact. Most intriguing.
    when you donate plasma/red blood cells instead of whole blood, they centrifuge it and pipe the stuff they aren't taking back into you (so that they can take more of the stuff they want)

• Options
    I also have O- (that's universal donor right?)

I should donate more often. They harassed our phone constantly when I gave blood in high school.

This discussion has been closed.