As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Flash]: New New Season

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    And no more:
    Mopey Cisco. Hooray!

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Crossover was pretty fun. I'm glad that each episode managed to also be sort of a self-contained thing while also being part of the larger whole. I guess maybe not so much with the Flash episode, but definitely Arrow and LoT.
    Loved the "Wow, she looks just like my cousin!" Brandon Routh Superman reference. I genuinely got a case of the feels when Oliver was prepared to leave Thea in the dream (Oh and nice work emulating my second-favorite episode of Batman: TAS! Now if only you could do an Almost Got 'Im I could die happy)

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    When Lila is explaining things to the crew at STAR Labs, there is a monitor behind her. On it, there is a file directory listing that ends with
    Z:\THEFLASHDRIVE\

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I don't usually watch any of the other DC/CW shows, but this crossover was a hell of a good time.

Ending spoiler question:
    What the heck did Cisco actually change in the timeline aside from the one alien remembering them? He was reasonably shook up and I couldn't come up with anything.

OneAngryPossum on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Crossover was pretty fun. I'm glad that each episode managed to also be sort of a self-contained thing while also being part of the larger whole. I guess maybe not so much with the Flash episode, but definitely Arrow and LoT.
    Loved the "Wow, she looks just like my cousin!" Brandon Routh Superman reference. I genuinely got a case of the feels when Oliver was prepared to leave Thea in the dream (Oh and nice work emulating my second-favorite episode of Batman: TAS! Now if only you could do an Almost Got 'Im I could die happy)

yeah this crossover was pretty much everything I want as a nerd getting my superhero fix.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2016
    I don't usually watch any of the other DC/CW shows, but this crossover was a hell of a good time.

Ending spoiler question:
    What the heck did Cisco actually change in the timeline aside from the one alien remembering them? He was reasonably shook up and I couldn't come up with anything.
    My interpretation was he's the reason the Dominators returned. If the Legends hadn't gone back in time, the alien would have escaped. When Cisco set the alien free, the Dominators realized that humans were a threat and if a metahuman was as bad a dude as G-Man then he could cause some serious intergalactic damage.

But then that also doesn't line up with the whole "Barry's time travel is the reason why they're here" thing so who knows. Maybe the Dominators were only paying attention and noticed Flashpoint because of Cisco freeing the alien? It was definitely something that could have been made more clear.

Terrendos on
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Ending spoiler question:
    My interpretation was he's the reason the Dominators returned. If the Legends hadn't gone back in time, the alien would have escaped. When Cisco set the alien free, the Dominators realized that humans were a threat and if a metahuman was as bad a dude as G-Man then he could cause some serious intergalactic damage.

But then that also doesn't line up with the whole "Barry's time travel is the reason why they're here" thing so who knows. Maybe the Dominators were only paying attention and noticed Flashpoint because of Cisco freeing the alien? It was definitely something that could have been made more clear.
    I agree it should have been better explained, but maybe it's good enough that he now realizes that time travel, even doing something that seems innocuous like rescuing a guy you helped capture in the first place, which you might think would "fix" things, can actually change things in a way you didn't anticipate. So maybe he will stop hating on Barry and instead be on team "Oh hell no" the next time Barry forgets everything he's learned and thinks it would be a great idea to time travel.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Ending spoiler question:

I agree it should have been better explained, but maybe it's good enough that he now realizes that time travel, even doing something that seems innocuous like rescuing a guy you helped capture in the first place, which you might think would "fix" things, can actually change things in a way you didn't anticipate. So maybe he will stop hating on Barry and instead be on team "Oh hell no" the next time Barry forgets everything he's learned and thinks it would be a great idea to time travel.
    Yeah, I'm willing to hand wave away any poor explanations here since it got Cisco off Barry's back about flashpoint. Broody Cisco is the worst Cisco.

LostNinja on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Ending spoiler question:

What didn't add up is that Barry's alteration was to the original time line, it was RF who altered the past. The Dominators should be trying to capture Thawne, not Barry.

Harry Dresden on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well, it's one thing to be mad at your friend for refusing to change the timeline to save your brother and quite another to find out your brother would still be alive if your friend hadn't acted like an ass and changed the timeline and then didn't completely fix it when he realized what a mistake it was.

Dante was a meta in the other timeline? I don't remember that...was he a villain?

I think Ollie summed it up best Barry isn't god he didn't kill Dante or make Catlin a meta for all we know Dante was gonna die either way and all flashpoint did was move it up. Catlin probably has delayed onset powers like Cisco.

He's also being really selfish and purposefully not vibing Barry so he can say mad. Barry has had to let his parents be murdered twice Cisco he knows how you're feeling. If he could fix it he would.

Ending spoiler question:

What didn't add up is that Barry's alteration was to the original time line, it was RF who altered the past. The Dominators should be trying to capture Thawne, not Barry.

I dont think they can tell its Thawne just that a speedster caused issues,and Barry is covered in time juice

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Well, it's one thing to be mad at your friend for refusing to change the timeline to save your brother and quite another to find out your brother would still be alive if your friend hadn't acted like an ass and changed the timeline and then didn't completely fix it when he realized what a mistake it was.

Dante was a meta in the other timeline? I don't remember that...was he a villain?

I think Ollie summed it up best Barry isn't god he didn't kill Dante or make Catlin a meta for all we know Dante was gonna die either way and all flashpoint did was move it up. Catlin probably has delayed onset powers like Cisco.

He's also being really selfish and purposefully not vibing Barry so he can say mad. Barry has had to let his parents be murdered twice Cisco he knows how you're feeling. If he could fix it he would.

It's worse than that for Barry.
    This time, he had to ask Thawne to kill his mother to try and reset the timeline.

Yeah, I want to see mopey Cisco vibe on that.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

It's worse than that for Barry.
    This time, he had to ask Thawne to kill his mother to try and reset the timeline.

Yeah, I want to see mopey Cisco vibe on that.

Oh that would have been a way better way to get Cisco to shut the fuck up about Barry and timeline stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    They are really delving deep:
    Seems they are going to have Accelerated Man in an upcoming episode. Either they travel to Earth 19 or he comes here.

Oh and that wacky Grodd guy. I'm personally hoping that Grodd kills Savitar. The End.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Barry's Gift:
    Is that set just a redress of Oliver's loft?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Why do they constantly acknowledge that keeping secrets from people is going to blow up in their faces (like it has all those other times before), then keep on doing it? It's crossing into parody at this point.
    I also wouldn't blame Wally if he teaches himself how to open a breach to Earth 2 and just goes to live there, since everyone from this Earth is being a dick to him.

I did like Supergirl just floating there grinning while they throw everything at her.

"I'm gonna need you go all out training these guys"
    "But, I'm as fast as Barry, I'm impervious to everything except magic and a mineral that doesn't exist on this Earth, and I can punch a hole right through a person without breaking a sweat."
    "All. Out."

steam_sig.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Great episode, but would've liked more Trickster.

That's the only complaint I can think of.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    It's a good episode but I can't help but think...
    are they doing season two again? Speedster becomes aware of Barry because of something he did at the end of last season and hates him because HE has to be the fastest, not Barry, and is therefore going to spend all season toying with him to ultimately challenge him... Please, I hope the finale isn't Savitar challenging him to a race.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I was nice to get confirmation that Wally is in fact faster than Barry.

As it should be.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

As it should be.

Who isn't?

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The episode definitely needed more Trickster. Although, the teeth were a bit much. But at least they weren't grills.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Draco Malfoy and the Sorceror's Stone.

The episode definitely needed more Trickster. Although, the teeth were a bit much. But at least they weren't grills.

Really could have used some niice facial tattoos though.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think they need to be more blatant about how the Trickster is basically the Joker. For the five people who haven't gotten it.
    "I told those people I'd let them live, but I tricked them! That's quite a funny joke, when you think about it. Oh! Maybe I'll start calling myself the Jo-" [Hit in the face by Flash/A copyright lawyer]

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I like Wally way more with powers than whatever the hell they've been doing with him up until this point.

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Savitar outright says,
    "I'm the future Flash."

He says it like there's a comma between future and Flash, but, come on, I know foreshadowing when I see it. (Unless it's a red herring.)

So, he's from the future and at some point Barry throws him... In the Speed Force? He's a Flash that went bad?

The way mystery plots are generally set up, he can't be some random guy we don't know. So unless the show is going to introduce another speedster, he's probably a character we've already met.

Wally? He did get speed from the stone, like it says in the myth.

Thing is, that would make he general direction of the plot very similar to last season's. And I don't think the writers would deviate from the comics to such an extent that they'd make one of the main Flashes evil. Unless the season ends with Barry preventing Wally from becoming Savitar by curing his Alchemy-corruption or something, which ties into the time travel theme of this season. Or maybe the stone gives another character speed powers.

Or he could just be Thawne again.

Or Savitar is someone from Flash Point, who somehow survived his timeline being rewritten. That makes sense. He wants everything back that Barry took from him, and he's been bringing back people from Flash Point. Dante? That would be a fun twist, since it would mean that Cisco really was talking to his brother and that Cisco turned his back on him.

Or Savitar is Barry Allen from the timeline in which Iris died, which branched off into its own dimension, and he's trying to change his timeline, which he can only do by destroying our Barry's dimension, and Barry is like, no, I'm going to stop you. Or something. A bit farfetched, I think.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

As it should be.

Ah, Wally is only faster than Barry "at this stage of your training."

So, Wally is faster than Barry was in the first part of Season 1, but keep in mind that Wells has only said "Run, Wally, run!" ONCE.

Wally can't get faster until someone tells him to run, [insertcharactername], run a few more times.

edited December 2016
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Savitar outright says,
    "I'm the future Flash."

He says it like there's a comma between future and Flash, but, come on, I know foreshadowing when I see it. (Unless it's a red herring.)

So, he's from the future and at some point Barry throws him... In the Speed Force? He's a Flash that went bad?

The way mystery plots are generally set up, he can't be some random guy we don't know. So unless the show is going to introduce another speedster, he's probably a character we've already met.

Thing is, that would make he general direction of the plot very similar to last season's. And I don't think the writers would deviate from the comics to such an extent that they'd make one of the main Flashes evil. Unless the season ends with Barry preventing Wally from becoming Savitar by curing his Alchemy-corruption or something, which ties into the time travel theme of this season. Or maybe the stone gives another character speed powers.

Or Savitar is someone from Flash Point, who somehow survived his timeline being rewritten. That makes sense. He wants everything back that Barry took from him, and he's been bringing back people from Flash Point. Dante? That would be a fun twist, since it would mean that Cisco really was talking to his brother and that Cisco turned his back on him.

Or Savitar is Barry Allen from the timeline in which Iris died, which branched off into its own dimension, and he's trying to change his timeline, which he can only do by destroying our Barry's dimension, and Barry is like, no, I'm going to stop you. Or something. A bit farfetched, I think.
    If his powers work like I think he's being quite literal about the future part. Savitar might be a unsynced with time like comics,Zoom.Unlike that zoom he's also got speed. Other speedsters see him because theyre seeing his after image. Barry may have caused him to "slow down" with time shenanigans hence his desire to kill him.

King Riptor on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Savitar outright says,
    "I'm the future Flash."

I kept thinking that Savitar is Jay. Like, actual-Jay not fake-Jay. Or fake-Jay, because Barry took everything from him, and he's also still mentioned in the opening credits, when that really isn't necessary at this point.

Or Eddie, because why the fuck not.

sig.gif
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So Savitar's pissed that Future Barry 'trapped him for eternity', so they're solution is to throw the stone into the speedforce, where it will be trapped for eternity?
    No-one looked at this plan and said 'Hang on...'?
    Oh, and Barry's back to keeping information from people, right after learning his lesson about time travel.
    I would really like it if he opens next week with "Sorry I didn't tell you about it over Christmas, but I saw Savitar coming back in a few months. I also saw a news story about a guy getting charged for something, so I'm thinking that besides working on ways to stop Savitar when he inevitably comes back, we can prove the future is changeable by never letting this criminal get that far. I have his name and address, let's give him a free trip to Vegas so he can't commit a crime here."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    It's a good episode but I can't help but think...
    are they doing season two again? Speedster becomes aware of Barry because of something he did at the end of last season and hates him because HE has to be the fastest, not Barry, and is therefore going to spend all season toying with him to ultimately challenge him... Please, I hope the finale isn't Savitar challenging him to a race.

They are setting up how to beat Savitar:
    With other Not dad Flash telling how you can siphon off the speed from another speedster to go faster. In the ending all the speedsters will give some of their speed to Barry to defeat Savitar.

I personally just want Grodd to beat Savitar to a pulp as a swerve, but I'm thinking that won't happen.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Have we ever seen Earth-3 before? Because it looks pretty alright.

camo_sig2.png
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

The idea that Earth-3 is basically goofy Silver Age Earth is a lot of fun.

edited December 2016
    Im with Jay on keeping secrets
    Time travel rule number 1 -if you try to change the future based on a glimpse you end up making it happen. Its also worth noting Future Barry didnt know present Barry was there. He will now meaning this future has already been changed.

King Riptor on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

I like to think of it as earth where the 90's tv show wasn't cancelled. They've just been playin the game for ~25 years

I hope barry goes to DCAU some time and assumes batman is oliver until this dude in a robin hood outfit shows up. "Where's Diggle?" "What's a Diggle?"

steam_sig.png

I like to think of it as earth where the 90's tv show wasn't cancelled. They've just been playin the game for ~25 years

I hope barry goes to DCAU some time and assumes batman is oliver until this dude in a robin hood outfit shows up. "Where's Diggle?" "What's a Diggle?"

Okay, I'm going to put Animated Flash Episode right under Musical Flash Episode on my list of things I didn't know I wanted until someone mentioned them here.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Okay, I'm going to put Animated Flash Episode right under Musical Flash Episode on my list of things I didn't know I wanted until someone mentioned them here.

Farscape did it.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I think they need to be more blatant about how the Trickster is basically the Joker. For the five people who haven't gotten it.
    "I told those people I'd let them live, but I tricked them! That's quite a funny joke, when you think about it. Oh! Maybe I'll start calling myself the Jo-" [Hit in the face by Flash/A copyright lawyer]

why would the trickster call himself the joker?

steam_sig.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Justin Hartley is still ripped, so he could totally cameo as Young Robert Queen in a flashback, giving the audience a bit of characterization of Merlyn before they inevitably kill him off and replace him with Tommy when they need to fill time in S6.

sig.gif
    Mvrck wrote: »

Farscape did it.

And it was terrible.

In my greatest DCU fantasy, Earth-3 has a Justice League with Adam West Batman, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, and Dean Cain Superman. I know it would never work since the actors don't line up in age.

But I can see Barry visiting Earth-3 Flash and mentioning how his friends on LoT are working with the Justice Society of America. Then Garrick is all "Oh, they have one of those on your Earth? Yeah here's us!" And then we see a photoshopped picture of them all together.