As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Would you vape Hedgehog?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Hitman definitely feels like the Super Mario Maker of 2016 for GB (and we all saw how that unseated MGSV for the top spot), but it was a slower burner than SMM was. I don't think it has quite as much runaway traction with the team for it to be a definite winner.

Still a lock for top 3 though, I think

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Looking back on the GOTY list for 2015, I had forgotten how high Rocket League got (partially due to that East vs. West feature) and how Vinny essentially singlehandedly got Kerbal Space Program the number 4 slot in the top 10 and got it Best Moment.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think Vinney producing dozens of hours of content with Kerbal (and having Alex and Austin there to back him up) helped his case.

Also I still think Titanfall 2 is the darkhorse candidate this year. Everybody praised the campaign and Jeff got pretty into the multiplayer, which is more than you can say for Doom.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Depends on how hard DOOM's MP gets the "oh, who cares about that part?" thing they do sometimes when it's convenient.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    goty is going to be stupid and full of FPS'es this year. stupid in the way Jeff likes stupid; like how the heck did this happen this is hilarious kind of stupid.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The thing there are actually a lot of good FPS shooty bang bang campaigns this year. Gears 4, Doom, Titanfall 2, Call of Duty and I guess you could say Uncharted 4?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Gears and Uncharted are TPS's

/pedantic

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    And Call of Duty isn't great. Not in the way Doom and Titanfall and Superhot are great.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Fixed that @Undead Scottsman

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I'm positive the top 3 will be Hitman, Titanfall 2 and Doom. The question is the order.

I lean towards Overwatch being in the 4 to 7 range, likely closer to the 4 than 7.

SuperHot, Uncharted 4 and the Witness are in for sure, maybe Stardew Valley.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I really don't feel like Superhot has a chance at even the top ten

• Options
    Devil Daggers, maybe?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Hitman
    Doom
    Overwatch
    Firewatch*
    The Witness
    Stardew Valley*
    Titanfall 2
    Watchdogs 2
    Dishonered 2*
    Pokemon SUMO *

are all things I suspect to be on the list. Anything marked with a * is something that could come or go. Hitman and Doom are locks for the top spots I bet.

I wonder if they do a VR category this year.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Inside will be on that list

Brad will screech until we're all dead

I also don't know that Watchdogs 2 is a given

Rez Infinite was one of Jeff's favorite games this year and he will make a push

• Options
    So we've got about 4-5 ones for certain, and the rest could be just about anything?

There's never been a better time to be playing video games, it turns out!

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I still haven't played Inside and don't know if I will. I thought Limbo got kind of tedious after a while.

I forgot Superhot was this year too, I can see that making the list. Or maybe Best Moment or something. It is pretty great.

Titanfall/Doom for top spot, Hitman for 3rd. Uncharted/Gears probably make it up there somewhere. Stardew Valley definitely. Pokemon is really good this year I hear but I haven't sunk much time into it yet and they typically don't go for those. I hope The Witness gets higher because it might be my own GOTY but I don't know how big they were on it overall.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    On the whole I liked inside more than limbo, but inside definitely had some pretty dang frustrating parts. Loved the journey though it! Really neat game.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Eh, I can see Gears not making the list. Gears 3 only made it to the 8th position in the year it came out, at that was probably the best Gears game ever made.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I'm, I don't know, half way through the new gears? Maybe a bit more. It's a lot of fun, and the beginning bits were really refreshing, but it's starting to feel like old territory again.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The only thing I know about gears is that they reveal the new... cog? armors, and it's football pads, football pads, football pads, bikini.

• Options
    I just thought the robots were a lot more fun to shoot at than the typical baddies that follow.

Also the way they get constantly air dropped on you is so cool!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I forgot about The Witness. I'm fairly sure they all loved it, Jeff especially. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Doom/Hitman/The Witness top 3 in whichever order.

• Options
    Inside
    Titanfall 2
    Rez Infinite
    Hitman
    DOOM
    Pokemon Sun/Moon
    Gears 4
    Civ 6
    Rec Room
    The Witness
    Overwatch
    Thumper
    Firewatch
    The Division
    That Dragon, Cancer
    Trackmania Turbo
    Overcooked
    Head lander
    Nitroplus Blasterz
    Mafia III
    ReCorE
    Stardew Valley
    Steamworld Heist
    Clash Royale
    Superhot
    Dis honored 2
    Devil Daggers

There are a LOT of games that I could see getting a push in the right circumstances. Nothing to challenge DOOM and Hitman, but some stuff that they all seemed to really like and dominated the conversation for multiple podcasts.

• Options
    Oh geez, I forgot about Overcooked.

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    No way in hell ReCore makes the top ten, given how disappointed the guys who played it were with the end game.

• Options
    Oh geez, I forgot about Overcooked.

Until I looked at a "Released in 2016" list I forgot about Clash Royale. They talked about that game for months.

• Options
    You guys are completely right that Overcooked and Clash could pop up. I don't think The Division, Devil Daggers, or ReCore have a chance. Alex may fight for Civ but there's no way it gets on either.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's too bad none of the guys are that into Final Fantasy because 15 is a lot of fun.

Oh well. I enjoy it and in the end that's what matters.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't remember anyone besides jeff talk much about the division and that was way back in feb

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    At best, The Division has a shot at a Biggest Disappointment nomination, nothing more.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The Division is certainly not biggest disappointment. It's fine.

In fact, if there was an award for Most Exactly where I Expected It to Be Game of the Year, it might be The Division.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    At best, The Division has a shot at a Biggest Disappointment nomination, nothing more.

I have no idea what you are basing this off. jeff thought it was pretty good(so did I)

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Not saying it should win the category, but for me, the fun of that game vaporized once I got on the endgame treadmill. It did not help that the devs were actively tinkering with the game to be more of a grind. It sounds like the devs tried to reverse course, but by then, I stopped playing. Hence, why I feel it should get a nomination for that.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    This is kind of long-winded and apropo of nothing, but I was re-listening to the excellent episode of the Beastcast that Gerstmann guested on and thinking about game reviews, or more accurately, the problem that a lot of people tend to conflate "reviews" and "criticism".

I agree with Jeff that the traditional review is dead, at least for the GB audience. Save for serving as some sort of bug report (which is the only reason I even open an eye towards them these days), something that's capturing a locked moment in time in an industry that has abandoned the concept of locked moments in time doesn't really stand on its own. I think that, contrary to popular opinion, the conversations around specific games is actually much longer than it used to be. Reviewers used to be able to take a game and put a stamp on it (good or bad) and then hold that up as some sort of definitive statement. Now, the typical support lifespan for a game seems to be around a year. The initial release, patches, free updates, DLC, multiplayer... these things keep a game alive for its audience. Lots of people, including myself, only get a few games a year, so this trend towards extended support is actually a positive for me. The great caveat of all this support is, of course, pricing - but that's something that's subjective to a lot of people so I don't have much to say about it.

I'm basically looking for continual coverage of games these days, and that's something that no "traditional" review sites are really willing or able to deliver (which has kind of naturally led to the propagation of YouTube channels that focus on a specific game/franchise). Criticism divorced from the need to have something out at a game's release is always welcome and I'd love to see more of it, but it's hard to come by on games that aren't the big watershed moments that everyone expects (OoT, FFVII, etc). I think Waypoint is doing some interesting things in this regard and I'm happy about their decision to abandon the concept of reviews wholesale (though Patrick was on Twitter earlier today griping about how FFXV is getting updated missions and dialogue in a patch, which is pretty much the exact locked-moment-in-time problem I just mentioned).

Mostly, I just want to see Giant Bomb revisit games more than they do. Check in with 20XX's releases three times a year to see what's changed, what's been added, stuff like that. I understand that it's a hard mentality to switch over, especially when you've been covering games in a "burn through them" kind of way for your entire career, but it'd be content I'd be interested in reading or watching. I know I'm in the minority though, because most people want to hear about the new thing all the time and that's the kind of thing that sells ads and all that frustrating business stuff.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I imagine when you have more games to cover than you have time to play going back to revisit old titles is not the most inviting prospect. Speaking for myself, unless we're talking MMOs, post-release content is "something I might play if I buy the GoTY edition on a deep discount sale two years down the line"; by the time DLC rolls out I am done with the game and no added content will get me back into it for a good while, if ever.

Hell, even with MMOs I struggle to keep playing past month two, everything is so familiar and samey and dull by then; you can keep stirring that alphabet soup around, but it still tastes the same.

• Options
    Yeah I'm the exact opposite

I get maybe 4-5 games a year and delve deep

I'm still playing Battlefront for crying out loud - the last DLC stuff dropped yesterday

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    This is kind of long-winded and apropo of nothing, but I was re-listening to the excellent episode of the Beastcast that Gerstmann guested on and thinking about game reviews, or more accurately, the problem that a lot of people tend to conflate "reviews" and "criticism".

I agree with Jeff that the traditional review is dead, at least for the GB audience. Save for serving as some sort of bug report (which is the only reason I even open an eye towards them these days), something that's capturing a locked moment in time in an industry that has abandoned the concept of locked moments in time doesn't really stand on its own. I think that, contrary to popular opinion, the conversations around specific games is actually much longer than it used to be. Reviewers used to be able to take a game and put a stamp on it (good or bad) and then hold that up as some sort of definitive statement. Now, the typical support lifespan for a game seems to be around a year. The initial release, patches, free updates, DLC, multiplayer... these things keep a game alive for its audience. Lots of people, including myself, only get a few games a year, so this trend towards extended support is actually a positive for me. The great caveat of all this support is, of course, pricing - but that's something that's subjective to a lot of people so I don't have much to say about it.

I'm basically looking for continual coverage of games these days, and that's something that no "traditional" review sites are really willing or able to deliver (which has kind of naturally led to the propagation of YouTube channels that focus on a specific game/franchise). Criticism divorced from the need to have something out at a game's release is always welcome and I'd love to see more of it, but it's hard to come by on games that aren't the big watershed moments that everyone expects (OoT, FFVII, etc). I think Waypoint is doing some interesting things in this regard and I'm happy about their decision to abandon the concept of reviews wholesale (though Patrick was on Twitter earlier today griping about how FFXV is getting updated missions and dialogue in a patch, which is pretty much the exact locked-moment-in-time problem I just mentioned).

Mostly, I just want to see Giant Bomb revisit games more than they do. Check in with 20XX's releases three times a year to see what's changed, what's been added, stuff like that. I understand that it's a hard mentality to switch over, especially when you've been covering games in a "burn through them" kind of way for your entire career, but it'd be content I'd be interested in reading or watching. I know I'm in the minority though, because most people want to hear about the new thing all the time and that's the kind of thing that sells ads and all that frustrating business stuff.

Agreed. I was talking about this just recently with a friend but I'd love to see games journalism (or at least a corner of it) become a bit more narrative in nature and maybe take on stories more akin to Playboy, Rolling Stone (old RS), or even just long form journalism. Embed a reporter in with a studio for a year and let them write about it, get back to exhaustive non-technical post-mortems on games, etc.

I have high hopes for Waypoint but I haven't seen much of it materialize yet (though Patrick's story on glyphs and such was in the ballpark). With such a small writing staff @ both GB and WP it would be tough to execute on. And don't even get me started on NDAs, etc.

Too much of games journalism is just commercial in nature. It's all about what are the reviews, the latest releases, or what's rumored (or leaked) to be happening. It's honestly barely journalism oftentimes. Give me some creativity in writing once again.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    One of the things I'm wary about wrt a site that has frequent revisits to a game is the timecost probably disproportionately affects games I want to hear about. If Giant Bomb revisits Doom like four months after it's out, that probably doesn't come at the cost of say the NBA 2k17 or Forza Horizon 3 quick look. It probably eats up time that would have been spent on Virginia or Halcyon 6 or The Bunker. Sites that don't do that one and done format often just don't do as much coverage of those smaller, odder games.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I think Danny's noclip documentaries are the thing I look forward to the most these days

Just a deep dive

His Doom one is coming out next week I think

• Options
    I bought about 18 2016 games this year. I stil need to beat five of them. I vastly prefer a game I can take, beat, maybe play through it again to find all the collectibles, and then put on the virtual shelf satisfied, maybe pulling it out for some campaign DLC. I think Doom and Gears of War 4 are the only games I keep coming back to for something outside the singleplayer.

This discussion has been closed.