As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] I don't even work at your job and I'm already sick of your job.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    twmjr wrote: »
    Anyone going to CiscoLive2017 in vegas this year?

i am going to do(try) my last CCNP test there.

One of these years I'm going to try to talk my way into going...but they keep cutting our training budgets so prospects aren't promising. :(

Which test do you have left? I have to take one of them to renew mine early in 2017...

I have all three to go.... going to do switch (currently cramming for a late Jan test) and router here and then finish the troubleshooting test in vegas.
    No worries in the world with switch and route..... troubleshooting exam sounds like a headache.

They've changed it since I last took it so YMMV, but it was the easiest of the three by far for me. It was the only one I 100%ed. I was working in operations/support at the time so it was what I was doing every single day, but if you have even the slightest troubleshooting experience you should be fine.

Completely unrelated but likely to be found amusing by the thread: when we moved into our house, I had Charter move our Internet service over. During the install, they discovered there was a problem with the buried cable somewhere along the route; as a "temporary" solution, they ran a cable down the street from the nearest working pedestal to get me service. That was approximately 7 months ago. I haven't complained because reasons, but over the past few weeks, every time we get mail/packages or the garbage gets picked up, my cable modem resets. They have now heard my dissatisfaction about their "temporary" solution...

:bigfrown:

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    This is kind of relevant to sysadmins. Microsoft is porting Windows 10 to ARM. Full windows 10. With x86 application emulation.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/86298/arm-based-windows-10-portable-pcs-hell-yes

that shaking you just felt was Intel's HQ.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    interesting

win10 on raspberrypis then?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    interesting

win10 on raspberrypis then?

Probably not powerful enough. Support isn't officially coming until next year with the Snapdragon 835. You probably need a pretty beefy ARM processor to do the x86 emulation without it running like garbage.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ARM processors aren't really known for being beefy I don't think.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    https://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a53-processor.php

I think this is what the current gen PIs use, 1.5 GHz, 4 core(??) 64bit

• Options
    edited December 2016
    it's a bit apples and oranges, but high end ARM processors can hit synthetic benchmarks close to mid level intel Core parts. High end snapdragons right now are 8 core parts that have a peak of somewhere around 2.4GHz, depending on the device.

What really limits ARM parts right now is thermals. They pretty aggressively down clock on phones because there are severe thermal limitations on those devices. Put the same ARM chip on a laptop size device with active cooling and you can probably get a lot more out of it compared to a phone.

and Raspberry Pi's have other limitations as well, to keep the board price down to $35 US. One of the bigger ones being that the ethernet runs off the USB controllrer, so that severely limits I/O as ethernet and USB are sharing a total of 480Mbit.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if the pi3 could run a version of windows 10 kinda ok.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I have a small group of users that do Internet and Phone Sales.

I have reached a point with them that I no longer feel like calling them users.

Because they tell me when they have problems, don't bitch about it to other folks instead of me, give me good data, are willing to test, accept what I tell them, and don't try to pressure me into caring more or whatever the fuck users think will happen if they frown at me harder.

What term should I use to describe these people?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Because they tell me when they have problems, don't bitch about it to other folks instead of me, give me good data, are willing to test, accept what I tell them, and don't try to pressure me into caring more or whatever the fuck users think will happen if they frown at me harder.

Power Users, Pro Users, Users +, Level 2 Users.

I call them Level 2's personally. They're better. I like them. I use them to test new things on.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    We're going to...

We're going to implement Spiceworks for one of my clients.

God help me.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Anyone going to CiscoLive2017 in vegas this year?

i am going to do(try) my last CCNP test there.

One of these years I'm going to try to talk my way into going...but they keep cutting our training budgets so prospects aren't promising. :(

Which test do you have left? I have to take one of them to renew mine early in 2017...

I have all three to go.... going to do switch (currently cramming for a late Jan test) and router here and then finish the troubleshooting test in vegas.
    No worries in the world with switch and route..... troubleshooting exam sounds like a headache.

They've changed it since I last took it so YMMV, but it was the easiest of the three by far for me. It was the only one I 100%ed. I was working in operations/support at the time so it was what I was doing every single day, but if you have even the slightest troubleshooting experience you should be fine.

Completely unrelated but likely to be found amusing by the thread: when we moved into our house, I had Charter move our Internet service over. During the install, they discovered there was a problem with the buried cable somewhere along the route; as a "temporary" solution, they ran a cable down the street from the nearest working pedestal to get me service. That was approximately 7 months ago. I haven't complained because reasons, but over the past few weeks, every time we get mail/packages or the garbage gets picked up, my cable modem resets. They have now heard my dissatisfaction about their "temporary" solution...

:bigfrown:

Awesome ty man!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    We're going to...

God help me.

This should help: https://community.spiceworks.com/help/Getting_Started

:lol:

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    What you should do is turn your deleted folder retention period to 2 days so that they learn not to do that shit.

And yes she had a folder hierarchy in the deleted items that I now have to restore.

fuck that noise

Microsoft needs to remove the ability to make folders within Deleted Items.

That is some straight horse shit.

They need to make the email unreadable too.

It should just be a paper icon that has the title in it and when you click to read it it should put in big red letters "THIS ITEM IS SCHEDULED TO BE DELETED IN (X) DAYS, TO VIEW IT, PLEASE RESTORE IT FROM THE RECYCLE BIN"

It does seem odd that it doesn't do something like this already considering that is how the recycle bin in windows works.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    We're going to...

God help me.

I will do fighting on you

• Options
    Great news! According to the Spiceworks installer, I'm just MOMENTS away from becoming an IT rockstar!

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

Aliens.

They certainly are not human.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    We're going to...

God help me.

I will do fighting on you

let me see if I can find the install guide for that

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    There is nothing else that guy could possibly look like.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

• Options

He could be wearing a Fedora.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    it's a bit apples and oranges, but high end ARM processors can hit synthetic benchmarks close to mid level intel Core parts. High end snapdragons right now are 8 core parts that have a peak of somewhere around 2.4GHz, depending on the device.

What really limits ARM parts right now is thermals. They pretty aggressively down clock on phones because there are severe thermal limitations on those devices. Put the same ARM chip on a laptop size device with active cooling and you can probably get a lot more out of it compared to a phone.

and Raspberry Pi's have other limitations as well, to keep the board price down to $35 US. One of the bigger ones being that the ethernet runs off the USB controllrer, so that severely limits I/O as ethernet and USB are sharing a total of 480Mbit.

There's also stuff like project denver, which should be similar to x86 in performance.

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Aliens.

Shit.

They're probably just being nice to get closer to our technology.

• Options
    The printer is most likely to function correctly with <Our Shitty Software> if it meets these industry standards:
    • The system uses the current AIX® version
    • The printer uses any class of PCL 6, the universal print driver language
    • The Windows® Update program includes the printer’s driver
    • The printer has the most current version of the manufacturer’s firmware
    • The printer is always online and maintains an active connection

If you want to test a new printer with <Our Shitty Software>, please refer to the <Our Shitty Company>® Policy for Supported Hardware
    located on <Our Shitty Website>.

The printers we provided for our client meet all these requirements because of course they do what am I a fucking luddite?

Also, "most likely" to function? Way to hedge, dickholes.
    If you have or if you are considering peripheral hardware that you would like to integrate with <Our Shitty Software>, the first step is to check the Supported Hardware List on <Our Shitty Website>. (Cog note: that is page 4, above. I can therefor assume the printer is supported but it demonstrably does not print.)

1. If your peripheral hardware is on the list, you can implement these devices with <Our Shitty Software>, knowing
    that they have been tested
    by <Our Shitty Company>® for compatibility.

Things I have been told off the record (not in email, so I can't use it against them) by support techs from <Their Shitty Company>®:
    1. What we actually use is the Linux version of the HP4 driver. (Cog note: Do you fuckers not see how this could maybe cause compatability issues with non HP printers?)
    2. We don't actually do hardware testing anymore, we haven't for years
    3. Yeah I hate that it says all that stuff in the support docs, it's all totally bullshit

If all the above is true, I can't reasonably implement ANY devices. My devices fulfill your "requirements" but don't work, and your guarantee that you test shit isn't true, and even if it was your document only then states that my printer is "likely" to work anyway possibly because you're using a print driver from a fucking TWENTY FOUR YEAR OLD printer model and not telling anyone.

Jesus.

• Options
    And before one of you fuckers says anything, yes I read the god damned install guide.

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Aliens.

Shit.

They're probably just being nice to get closer to our technology produce.

kevinsbanana.jpg

• Options
    I've gotten like 8 phishing attempts on me in the past 6 weeks

shit ain't gonna work bros, maybe you should try a more gullible person.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So two things:

1) I was really hoping the end of that katana video was going to be him testing it on something for the first time and breaking it.

2) I am having to dive into setting up Apache with SSL and Lets Encrypt for the first time and have absolutely no fucking clue what I'm doing. And the install guide isn't helping much. Maybe my Google Fu just fucking fails for this stuff, but I am finding nothing helpful that doesn't just assume I already know all about what the config files and such I'm supposed to have are. Anyone have useful guides or resources or even better, personal experience with Certbot/LetsEncrypt?

Things that I know/think I have done right:
    • Made sure to turn on Apache SSL mod
    • Had a normal config file set up and working with multiple subdomains/folders.

• Options
    The printer is most likely to function correctly with <Our Shitty Software> if it meets these industry standards:
    • The system uses the current AIX® version
    • The printer uses any class of PCL 6, the universal print driver language
    • The Windows® Update program includes the printer’s driver
    • The printer has the most current version of the manufacturer’s firmware
    • The printer is always online and maintains an active connection

If you want to test a new printer with <Our Shitty Software>, please refer to the <Our Shitty Company>® Policy for Supported Hardware
    located on <Our Shitty Website>.

The printers we provided for our client meet all these requirements because of course they do what am I a fucking luddite?

Also, "most likely" to function? Way to hedge, dickholes.
    If you have or if you are considering peripheral hardware that you would like to integrate with <Our Shitty Software>, the first step is to check the Supported Hardware List on <Our Shitty Website>. (Cog note: that is page 4, above. I can therefor assume the printer is supported but it demonstrably does not print.)

1. If your peripheral hardware is on the list, you can implement these devices with <Our Shitty Software>, knowing
    that they have been tested
    by <Our Shitty Company>® for compatibility.

Things I have been told off the record (not in email, so I can't use it against them) by support techs from <Their Shitty Company>®:
    1. What we actually use is the Linux version of the HP4 driver. (Cog note: Do you fuckers not see how this could maybe cause compatability issues with non HP printers?)
    2. We don't actually do hardware testing anymore, we haven't for years
    3. Yeah I hate that it says all that stuff in the support docs, it's all totally bullshit

If all the above is true, I can't reasonably implement ANY devices. My devices fulfill your "requirements" but don't work, and your guarantee that you test shit isn't true, and even if it was your document only then states that my printer is "likely" to work anyway possibly because you're using a print driver from a fucking TWENTY FOUR YEAR OLD printer model and not telling anyone.

Jesus.

Wait, why does the software use its own print drivers in the first place? Does it not use CUPS?
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So two things:

1) I was really hoping the end of that katana video was going to be him testing it on something for the first time and breaking it.

2) I am having to dive into setting up Apache with SSL and Lets Encrypt for the first time and have absolutely no fucking clue what I'm doing. And the install guide isn't helping much. Maybe my Google Fu just fucking fails for this stuff, but I am finding nothing helpful that doesn't just assume I already know all about what the config files and such I'm supposed to have are. Anyone have useful guides or resources or even better, personal experience with Certbot/LetsEncrypt?

Things that I know/think I have done right:
    • Made sure to turn on Apache SSL mod
    • Had a normal config file set up and working with multiple subdomains/folders.

Oh, I watched the whole thing hoping that something hilarious was going to happen.

• Options
    Wait, why does the software use its own print drivers in the first place? Does it not use CUPS?

It isn't software, exactly. The local application generates a print job request that is sent to the vendor's server, which generates the job and fires it off to the printer's IP address.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    And before one of you fuckers says anything, yes I read the god damned install guide.

If it makes you feel any better, it is remarkably refreshing for me to know that, regardless of whether you're looking at a bottom of the barrel disposable consumer level device, a mid level multi user device, or a high end networked corporate level device we are mere weeks from the year 2017 and printers are still assholes.

• Options
    I personally like thermal printers

they have problems but the problems tend to not be quite the clusterfuck that is a normal laser printer

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    I personally like thermal printers

they have problems but the problems tend to not be quite the clusterfuck that is a normal laser printer

Mostly because they have significantly fewer internal moving parts compared to your standard laser printer.

They have their moments where they're still total garbage, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd love to see thermal printers make their way into 8.5x11 market/consumer printers, I'd get one just to try it out.

• Options
    I kinda like Okidata line printers, because they just fucking work.

• Options
    I'd love to see thermal printers make their way into 8.5x11 market/consumer printers, I'd get one just to try it out.

Thermal paper is shit though.

• Options
    I'll take shitty paper over shitty printers

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I think the certs are configured right, but now I've got an 500 Internal Server Error even though all the paths seem to be correct?

Arrghhhh

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I kinda like Okidata line printers, because they just fucking work.

Man could I ever show you graveyards of ML320/ML321s..............

(Fuck line printers too)

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.