As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Flash]: New New Season

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Have we ever seen Earth-3 before? Because it looks pretty alright.

The idea that Earth-3 is basically goofy Silver Age Earth is a lot of fun.

I like to think of it as earth where the 90's tv show wasn't cancelled. They've just been playin the game for ~25 years

I hope barry goes to DCAU some time and assumes batman is oliver until this dude in a robin hood outfit shows up. "Where's Diggle?" "What's a Diggle?"

In my greatest DCU fantasy, Earth-3 has a Justice League with Adam West Batman, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, and Dean Cain Superman. I know it would never work since the actors don't line up in age.

But I can see Barry visiting Earth-3 Flash and mentioning how his friends on LoT are working with the Justice Society of America. Then Garrick is all "Oh, they have one of those on your Earth? Yeah here's us!" And then we see a photoshopped picture of them all together.

eh, that could work pretty well if you factor in the characters ageing at different rates.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I like to think of it as earth where the 90's tv show wasn't cancelled. They've just been playin the game for ~25 years

I hope barry goes to DCAU some time and assumes batman is oliver until this dude in a robin hood outfit shows up. "Where's Diggle?" "What's a Diggle?"

In my greatest DCU fantasy, Earth-3 has a Justice League with Adam West Batman, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, and Dean Cain Superman. I know it would never work since the actors don't line up in age.

But I can see Barry visiting Earth-3 Flash and mentioning how his friends on LoT are working with the Justice Society of America. Then Garrick is all "Oh, they have one of those on your Earth? Yeah here's us!" And then we see a photoshopped picture of them all together.

Make it a Michael Keaton Batman and Christopher Reeve Superman and I'm in.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

plenty of Earths out there. no reason we can't have both.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

George Clooney Batman!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

But Earth-3 is officially the Campiest Timeline. Keaton-Reeve exist on Earth-17.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So... nobody's going to ask why he lives in a box? Why all his power is tied to the box being open? How "the first and strongest speedster" ended up in a box? Travels the multiverse going after speedsters who get too strong... from his box? With his telepathic speedster powers? Cisco? HR? Anybody? No?

Okay, carry on.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    From what I understood, I thought Savitar was
    in the speedforce, or trapped there somehow. I assume the stone is somehow connected and lets him appear there.

Buuuut why the hell would you want to put the evil artifact in the same place as the evil speed god?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    So... nobody's going to ask why he lives in a box? Why all his power is tied to the box being open? How "the first and strongest speedster" ended up in a box? Travels the multiverse going after speedsters who get too strong... from his box? With his telepathic speedster powers? Cisco? HR? Anybody? No?

Okay, carry on.

I was amazed that they're genre savvy enough to know they can't just hide the box but not so savvy that they think throwing him into the briar patch is going to work well for them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Okay, carry on.

I just assumed ancients bound him to the box like pandora, because time travel probably needs to be in there. I kind of assume vandal savage did it after becoming immortal. I wouldnt be surprised if we dont get a flashback of this, or barry traveling to find vandal and ask him how to seal the box again. One thing I enjoy about these shows is the reuse of characters/actors, I could see them bringing over a scene or two with savage since they did it with trickster. I know the box was in india and not egypt, but meh.

I figured we would get to those questions later.

steam_sig.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

Okay, carry on.

I just assumed ancients bound him to the box like pandora, because time travel probably needs to be in there. I kind of assume vandal savage did it after becoming immortal. I wouldnt be surprised if we dont get a flashback of this, or barry traveling to find vandal and ask him how to seal the box again. One thing I enjoy about these shows is the reuse of characters/actors, I could see them bringing over a scene or two with savage since they did it with trickster. I know the box was in india and not egypt, but meh.

I figured we would get to those questions later.

Never bring back Savage. Never.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The "send the box into the speed force solution" was really stupid. First of all, what's the rush? You have time to come up with a solution.

Secondly, why not cover the box with some sort of unbreakable metal so that no one can ever open it easily or accidentally?

Third, someone might discover it on earth. That would suck. But go contact the wave rider. Ask them to put it on a remote section of a different planet. You have access to a time machine, so you can determine whether or not that planet gets colonized in the future.

edited December 2016
    The "send the box into the speed force solution" was really stupid. First of all, what's the rush? You have time to come up with a solution.

Secondly, why not cover the box with some sort of unbreakable metal so that no one can ever open it easily or accidentally?

Third, someone might discover it on earth. That would suck. But go contact the wave rider. Ask them to put it on a remote section of a different planet. You have access to a time machine, so you can determine whether or not that planet gets colonized in the future.

Four, open a portal to the Earth-97 where everything went extinct two centuries ago from a deadly sandwich plague and leave it there.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Four, open a portal to the Earth-97 where everything went extinct two centuries ago from a deadly sandwich plague and leave it there.

Five, THROW THE BOX INTO THE SUN!

This should have been the solution in LoT S1 and should be it now.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

You know what? I want a comic about how superheroes throw everything they can't otherwise deal with into the sun, and then it cuts to 5 billion years later, the sun going nova, and just a plague of really pissed off super beings spreading out among the cosmos with a really, really huge grudge.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I do feel like if the crew can access the space or time to hide it away, that's a sign it's not a perfect hiding place.

Danger of working with unstoppable forces and immovable objects on the regular.

they've also referenced time pirates quite a bit so its not like the far reaches of time and space are completely locked off.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

The problem with throwing the box into the sun is that you might open it accidentally with no way to close it again, and we don't know what the consequences would be.

The problem with throwing Vandal Savage into the Sun was that he was far too powerful to risk putting onto a time traveling space ship. But that was based on the Flash/Arrow version of Savage where Savage had reflexes fast enough to keep up with the Flash. LoT completely nerfed him so that Rip could take him on in hand-to-hand combat.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

The problem with throwing the box into the sun is that you might open it accidentally with no way to close it again, and we don't know what the consequences would be.

The problem with throwing Vandal Savage into the Sun was that he was far too powerful to risk putting onto a time traveling space ship. But that was based on the Flash/Arrow version of Savage where Savage had reflexes fast enough to keep up with the Flash. LoT completely nerfed him so that Rip could take him on in hand-to-hand combat.

He's immortal, you don't have to let him inside, strap him to the roof.

steam_sig.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You don't even have to throw him into the sun. Just point him into space in generally empty direction and done.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    You don't even have to throw him into the sun. Just point him into space in generally empty direction and done.

do you want a world war hulk

that's how you get a world war hulk

https://lowbrowcomics.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/photo-apr-02-11-26-38-am.jpg
    https://lowbrowcomics.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/photo-apr-02-11-26-49-am.jpg
    tl:dr this plan was used on The Hulk once and boy did he come back angry

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    Speedster #54 isn't the Hulk, though. Does not apply!

Throwing it into the speedforce isn't the worst idea on the face of it (leaving aside that it obviously will turn out to have been, but we only know that because we know we're watching a TV show). But sealing the box up in something more secure first wouldn't have been the worst idea.
    "Okay, the box keeps him contained. So what if we contain the box in this super-secure Science Box, complete with a 24-digit lock? Each of us picks four digits and doesn't tell anyone else, so we all have to agree if we need to open the box again for some contrived reason. That way, when Barry hallucinates his dad telling him to open the box, he still has to convince the rest of us that it's not an incredibly stupid idea."

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Vandal Savage is no Hulk.

Vandal Savage should have had magic like Darhk. You are immortal. You can't tell me you just waste thousands of years and not learn practical magic.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Vandal Savage should have had magic like Darhk. You are immortal. You can't tell me you just waste thousands of years and not learn practical magic.
    He did, of a sort. He was powered by all the Hawkdeath, so he probably does have some knowledge, but doesn't use it because he doesn't need to.

Unless his physical reflexes were magic-enhanced, which would make some kind of sense.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »

He did, of a sort. He was powered by all the Hawkdeath, so he probably does have some knowledge, but doesn't use it because he doesn't need to.

Unless his physical reflexes were magic-enhanced, which would make some kind of sense.

The only time we really see Savage with any real magic was when he had the staff and blew everyone up, causing Barry to have to go back in time. Which, to me, means that magic in this world is something you naturally have and can't learn. We really haven't dived deep into magic but with Vixen and Savage, it seems like the only way they can use magic is through magical artifacts. Which would have been cool if Savage had been collecting artifacts over his many years and was tricked out like a high level D&D character, but the writers really missed the mark on that.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Hey now, that wasn't the part he was actually pissed off about though!
    Definitely don't blow up whatever planet they land on though. That definitely ends badly.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFnotyfWPE

A classic Reverse Flash scene.

Aren't they all, though? Anytime he gets to monologue (as Wells or otherwise), it's pretty great.

sig.gif
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So am I in a ground hog day thing where every year of the flash is something they already did just slightly different?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    So am I in a ground hog day thing where every year of the flash is something they already did just slightly different?

Only worse, because they shipped off Snart and buddies.

ztrEPtD.gif
    Didn't they promise us this season wouldn't be another speedster baddie? I swear they fucking did.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    A quick google search says they said that about the movie.

A quick google search says they said that about the movie.

SHIIII

pleasepaypreacher.net
    How many more speedsters are there in the DCU?
    So far we've had:
    • Flash
    • Reverse Flash (or Hsalf, if you like)
    • Zoom
    • Savitar
    • Trajectory
    • The Rival
    • Jay Garrick
    • Kid Flash
    • Jesse Quick
    Have I missed anyone?

I've read a spoiler that
    Someone called the Accelerated Man is going to show up later on?
    Besides that, I remember seeing a comic page featuring the Whizzer, and I recall Barry on Smallville being called Impulse, so I assume that's one too?
    At this point, will they run out of speedsters in a year or so?

edited December 2016
    We've also had a reference to Max Mercury, but we haven't seen him yet.

Impulse is Barry's speedster Grandson from the future, and he hasn't been mentioned. There's also XS, who's Barry's speedster Granddaughter (also from the future). There's Mas y Menos, Johnny Quick, and Wally's kids Jai and Iris. None of them are villains though, the only two off-hand I can think of that haven't made an appearance yet are Inertia and E-3 Johnny Quick.

(Because of DC's Multiverse, there's more than one Johnny Quick, which means there are evil iterations as well.)

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    klemming wrote: »
    So far we've had:
    • Flash
    • Zoom
    • Savitar
    • Trajectory
    • The Rival
    • Jay Garrick
    • Kid Flash
    • Jesse Quick
    Have I missed anyone?

I've read a spoiler that
    Besides that, I remember seeing a comic page featuring the Whizzer, and I recall Barry on Smallville being called Impulse, so I assume that's one too?

not sure how many more there are total, but we've still to have Impulse show up and all the time travel shenanigans suggests that's likely to happen sooner rather than later. think Patty is a speedster in the comics so that could still happen down the line, no idea what her superhero name is though.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mas y Menos would be hilarious. Only Cisco can talk to them, because nobody else bothered to learn Spanish! Except H.R. has a device that lets him speak to Hispanic people, but he doesn't tell anyone else that he has it.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So far we've had:
    • Flash
    • Zoom
    • Savitar
    • Trajectory
    • The Rival
    • Jay Garrick
    • Kid Flash
    • Jesse Quick
    Have I missed anyone?

I've read a spoiler that

Whizzer was a Marvel Golden Ager, actually. It kind of shows, given how the name is now in "Straight Dick" territory.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    We've also had a reference to Max Mercury, but we haven't seen him yet.

Impulse is Barry's speedster Grandson from the future, and he hasn't been mentioned. There's also XS, who's Barry's speedster Granddaughter (also from the future). There's Mas y Menos, Johnny Quick, and Wally's kids Jai and Iris. None of them are villains though, the only two off-hand I can think of that haven't made an appearance yet are Inertia and E-3 Johnny Quick.

(Because of DC's Multiverse, there's more than one Johnny Quick, which means there are evil iterations as well.)

I so want Snart to freeze Savitar's leg and smash it ala Johnny Quick but that's never going to happen.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy