As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] of the Year

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    They're on what, Spider-Man actor number 3 now?

At some point you have to accept that people aren't interested in the character.

He works in Civil War because you don't have to deal with the boring low stakes teen drama and the shucksie-doodles goofiness is kept to a minimum.

Strongly disagree, considering each one made over 700m worldwide and Its not like the first trilogy ended for any purpose other then studio shit it seems.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    Delmain wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm totally biased because Spider-Man is my favorite

but that trailer was awesome. Vulture looks REALLY GOOD considering what Vulture normally looks like.

(Still waiting on Mysterio, c'mon DCU you can make it happen)

I don't know much about his love interest in this one though. Nice refreshing change from MJ/Gwen Stacy though.

I would hope Mysterio would come after more of the MCU is aware of magic.

....is this a joke?

The dude is a special effects expert/magician. No actual magic.

No, it's just that you don't see what would make it a good movie.

The heroes think that it's actual magic and spend time letting him lead them along.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    there was this kind of awesome moment in the animated spider man series, during the weird / convoluted arc involving all the alt-reality spideys

one of alt-reality Parkers is basically RDJ's Iron Man, but without the likeability; rich, arrogant, over-reliant on gadgetry, petty, vain, etc

byproducts of his celebrity status, because in that reality Parker is an internationally reknown & respected crime fighter who has supermodel orgies instead of a back alley vigilante who pines creepily after MJ

most viewers probably hated Iron Man spidey for most of that arc because of his abrasiveness

but then, at the end of the arc, there was a (contrived, but whatever) need for Parker to talk with Uncle Ben. And then it dawns on Parker that there is only one timeline of those available to him where Ben Parker is still alive - and the viewer is shown that it is Iron Man spidey's reality

so much amazing subtext just built into a few seconds of reel thanks to all of the surrounding build-up

With Love and Courage
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

At some point you have to accept that people aren't interested in the character.

He works in Civil War because you don't have to deal with the boring low stakes teen drama and the shucksie-doodles goofiness is kept to a minimum.

I respectfully disagree. I think at some point studio execs need to play ball with the actor/actress and get them paid to keep the consistency. Fucking Fox Studios is a shit-show.

I respectfully disagree. I think at some point studio execs need to play ball with the actor/actress and get them paid to keep the consistency. Fucking Fox Studios is a shit-show.

100% Sony finally did the right thing by playing ball with Marvel.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

100% Sony finally did the right thing by playing ball with Marvel.

That's right Spidey is Sony.

edited December 2016
    Man back to Mysterio for a second I would love see the MCU costume for ol fishbowl

Quentin_Beck.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Spider-Man is a fucking great character. He's smart, nerdy, has heart, loves all his friends and family, learns good lessons along the way, has some of the best most iconic villains. There's no "being tired of the character," it's just that the last few Spider-Man flicks have been mediocre to terrible. Spider-Man 3 was awful, Amazing Spider-Man was okay, and though I haven't seen it, Amazing 2 was apparently not great.

"homecoming" in that it brings it back to the MCU is looking significantly better than any of the others thus far.

(Though the evil dead 2 scene in Spidey 2 is pretty awesome)

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    Yes there is being tired of the character! I'm tired of Spider-Man movies. This is not some illegitimate made up feeling.

I may be in the minority but of course I accept that. Just blah is how I feel at the moment. New and fun superheroes plz.

So It Goes on
    Spider-Man is a fucking great character. He's smart, nerdy, has heart, loves all his friends and family, learns good lessons along the way, has some of the best most iconic villains. There's no "being tired of the character," it's just that the last few Spider-Man flicks have been mediocre to terrible. Spider-Man 3 was awful, Amazing Spider-Man was okay, and though I haven't seen it, Amazing 2 was apparently not great.

"homecoming" in that it brings it back to the MCU is looking significantly better than any of the others thus far.

I feel bad for Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone cause they were great in their parts but too old, thankfully with Homecoming they are going super young.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    As fun as duo- queuing with @cB557 is in Heroes of the Storm, i feel it'd be much better if 1-3 more people were willing to join us in battle nightly.

As fun as duo- queuing with @cB557 is in Heroes of the Storm, i feel it'd be much better if 1-3 more people were willing to join us in battle nightly.

Ill try to get a couple games in with you this weekend, if you ever see me online in Battle.net just ask

I agree there's some Spidey fatigue but I think giving it back to Marvel will reverse that and make Spidey good again. Not a single MCU movie has been Spider-Man 3 bad so far.

I agree there's some Spidey fatigue but I think giving it back to Marvel will reverse that and make Spidey good again. Not a single MCU movie has been Spider-Man 3 bad so far.

eeeehhhhhhh not exactly but IMO IM 2-3 were getting close.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Ill try to get a couple games in with you this weekend, if you ever see me online in Battle.net just ask

Fair warning.... I am not good at 3 things:
    • Not overextending
    • Not knowing when to disengage
    • Giving up.

But mainly the 3rd one.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    Kind of wonder if Kamala Khan is ever going to make it over to the MCU, it'd be pretty interesting to see her and Parker at roughly the same age

Maybe after Captain Marvel?

aesthetic [chat]

I realize this is old baggage, but it is still relevant:

The original SM character was implicitly written to be about how it was totally cool to be the creepy nerd kid who totally deserved the hot girl at school cuz that jock guy ain't ever gonna treat her right.

It was extremely squicky & transparently self-congratulatory on the part of the writers, who naturally also imbued Parker with the power to totes kick those jocks asses if he reeeeaaallllyyy wanted to!

The Ben Parker bit about power & responsibility entered late in the character's story... and even then, they still chose to retain all of the toxic parts.

As we approach the modern comic era & get a more diverse cadre of writers, the gross parts have been smoothed-out / retconned and the prototypical jock, Flash, was actually given dimension and made into a much better character (eventually even becoming an empowered PWD!)... but I still remember the old days, and cheering for creepy stalker Parker, and those are bad memories. :|

With Love and Courage
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They are on the 3rd Spiderman exactly because people do care.

The low stakes teen drama and shit are one of the reasons this looks good. That's one of the parts that makes him work. He's like a normal kid dealing with shit whole compelled to be a hero.

As fun as duo- queuing with cB557 is in Heroes of the Storm, i feel it'd be much better if 1-3 more people were willing to join us in battle nightly.

• Not overextending
    • Giving up.

But mainly the 3rd one.

What do you mean by the 3rd?

Burnage wrote: »
    Kind of wonder if Kamala Khan is ever going to make it over to the MCU, it'd be pretty interesting to see her and Parker at roughly the same age

Maybe after Captain Marvel?

I bet after Inhumans drops since she is one..

As fun as duo- queuing with cB557 is in Heroes of the Storm, i feel it'd be much better if 1-3 more people were willing to join us in battle nightly.

• Not overextending
    • Giving up.

But mainly the 3rd one.

i mean the thing i'm worst at is giving up.

• Not overextending
    • Giving up.

But mainly the 3rd one.

I ment to ask, as in you give up too easily or that you never give up

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The Grasshopper [chats] Heavy
    the thing he's worst at is jokes

The Ender wrote: »

The original SM character was implicitly written to be about how it was totally cool to be the creepy nerd kid who totally deserved the hot girl at school cuz that jock guy ain't ever gonna treat her right.

It was extremely squicky & transparently self-congratulatory on the part of the writers, who naturally also imbued Parker with the power to totes kick those jocks asses if he reeeeaaallllyyy wanted to!

The Ben Parker bit about power & responsibility entered late in the character's story... and even then, they still chose to retain all of the toxic parts.

As we approach the modern comic era & get a more diverse cadre of writers, the gross parts have been smoothed-out / retconned and the prototypical jock, Flash, was actually given dimension and made into a much better character (eventually even becoming an empowered PWD!)... but I still remember the old days, and cheering for creepy stalker Parker, and those are bad memories. :|

I mean pretty much every old comic character has shitty baggage. Wonder Woman had a weird bondage thing going on, for instance.

I read a lot of Ultimate Spider-Man and some great stories here and there from the originals, but never really the original stuff. I'm sure there's a lot of dumb stuff in there just like there is other places. That doesn't diminish my love for the great characters in the slightest. But I can see how people who read that back in the day can still have rough memories of it.

The vast majority of Spidey stuff I've seen has been absolutely fantastic and I love it dearly.

the thing I'm worst at is also jokes

just a heads up if you're not terrible at jokes you're not allowed to play with us

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    @Jacobkosh
    jRqP5pV.png

Raised capital for a new expedition by trading in a captivating treasure

Now I'm bribing the Leopard tribe with coffee to open up trade with the Khanate

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.

• Not overextending
    • Giving up.

But mainly the 3rd one.

I ment to ask, as in you give up too easily or that you never give up

i don't know how to give up so I avoid it as much as possible.

Huh its double XP weekend on Titanfall I wonder if that stacks with the 2x XP codes available, I could probably regenerate again if so.

sexy pokemon [chat]
    Parker's an interesting character to me because even way back in the original comics, he was really posing the question "What happens if a teenager from a struggling family with chronic confidence issues got superpowers?"

And even though he's obviously written as a hero, the answer is frequently "He's a total asshole, that's what"

It's super cathartic whenever one of his supporting characters sits him down and basically says "You have a solid job, a loving family, a supermodel wife, and actual fucking superpowers. Quit making life hard for yourself."

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

dude literally none of this is true

rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2016
    aesthetic [chat]
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

old-spidey.jpg

boy, flash is sure lucky that parker didn't straight murder him with a basket ball (edit: sorry, volley ball) for making fun of him!

EDIT: This is one of the most commonly referenced panel segments from this era in SM:

parker-2.jpg

If I'm honest I'm not familiar with that comic & don't see the full page for context, but it sure doesn't look very good.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    He also says things like
    Spider-Man wrote:
    This double identity jazz is for the birds!

Which makes me not like him

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

old-spidey.jpg

boy, flash is sure lucky that parker didn't straight murder him with a basket ball (edit: sorry, volley ball) for making fun of him!

I mean, he didn't act on it and he recognized it would be wrong. He's an angry impulsive high schooler, what do you want him to do in that situation? Being constantly mocked for being a weakling nerdy kid who won't play sports would get grating if you were trying to keep your super strength saving the world identity a secret, especially as a kid!

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    He should just be good at sports though

He's spiderman, he could be the ultimate high school athlete!

Losing scholarship opportunities, is what I'm sayin

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    Wait Andrew Garfield is a real actor?

I thought he was just a made up character for Bojack Horseman

fuck gendered marketing
    We just realized that in that trailer the friend who sees Peter on the ceiling drops a big lego sculpture thing

It looks totally like a Death Star lego thing.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    In the last few days I've read through the first 40 or so issues of USM, and even that I've found a bit 'male gazey' I guess, which gets even more uncomfortable when Gwen is getting hit on and reminds the dude that she's only 15 and he shouldn't be doing that.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    Ender I love you but

You really need to stop staring at the space between the lines you are reading between the implications you are seeing in a work

fuck gendered marketing
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    EDIT: This is one of the most commonly referenced panel segments from this era in SM:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1613373/parker-2.jpg

If I'm honest I'm not familiar with that comic & don't see the full page for context, but it sure doesn't look very good.

He's in a boxing match with someone who doesn't have super powers and holds himself back accordingly

How does that not look very good? Should he have refused to box at all?

This discussion has been closed.