As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] of the Year

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    In the last few days I've read through the first 40 or so issues of USM, and even that I've found a bit 'male gazey' I guess, which gets even more uncomfortable when Gwen is getting hit on and reminds the dude that she's only 15 and he shouldn't be doing that.

You should also considering finding a way to play the USM video game since its canon

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    The new Spider-Man actor looks like someone I dreamed up back in high school as a closeted gay

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    New chat poll?

*looks at voting options*

7hrh6fd5mw3b.png

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ender I have no idea what your point is about that second image you posted. Spider-man has super strength! He tried to pull a punch and didn't do it well enough. Why is that some horrible thing?

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ender I have no idea what your point is about that second image you posted. Spider-man has super strength! He tried to pull a punch and didn't do it well enough. Why is that some horrible thing?

The premise that the narrative upholds is what I have a problem with ('I could totally kick your ass if I tried, sports guy / high school bully, so you better watch out!').

With Love and Courage
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Bogart @Thomamelas I saw Nocturnal Animals tonight and it was very good. It's an independent movie about Amy Adams, LA art curator, stuck in a floundering marriage to a formerly-wealthy businessman whose business is going down the tubes and who may be having an affair. While he's away, she gets a box in the mail: a manuscript of a novel written by her first husband, whom she hasn't heard from in decades. She begins reading the novel, which is a thriller about a man (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his family being attacked by hillbillies on a lonely drive through west Texas, and what happens next; and while reading the novel, she begins musing on her original marriage (also to Jake Gyllenhaal).

It's meditative and chilly in that art-film way - lots of locked off shots, precise blocking, long pregnant pauses and so forth - but then the film within the film is looser and noirier. Everything is gorgeously filmed and the whole atmosphere, even in the real world, brims with nameless menace. I don't know if it's a timeless classic for the ages but it's very good and reminds me a lot of the kind of atmospheric, vibe-y indie movies I enjoyed in the 90s and early 00s, before that whole Garden State/Little Miss Sunshine era of mandatory whimsy.

rRwz9.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    but he could totally kick his ass

and he does restrain himself

this is giving me a tautological headache

edited December 2016
    The Ender wrote: »

The premise that the narrative upholds is what I have a problem with ('I could totally kick your ass if I tried, sports guy / high school bully, so you better watch out!').

Why is that a problem though? He has super powers. He's a high school kid who is trying to keep his identity secret. He's a nerdy kid who has been bullied but instead of lashing out and taking revenge on his bully, he tries to keep it secret and fight crime instead.

That seems admirable!

Like, he totally could kick Flash Thompson's ass, and Flash would totally deserve it because he's a dick! But Peter is better than that. He knows he could murder the kid if he wanted to and no one could do anything, but he takes the high road.

SniperGuy on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    At that point Spider Man was explicitly stated as being the fourth strongest character in the entire Marvel universe

The idea that he could beat up a high school bully if he really wanted to wasn't exactly wild and I'm struggling a bit to see what's problematic with that narrative

edited December 2016
    aesthetic [chat]
    Burnage wrote: »
    At that point Spider Man was explicitly stated as being the fourth strongest character in the entire Marvel universe

The idea that he could beat up a high school bully if he really wanted to wasn't exactly wild and I'm struggling a bit to see what's problematic with that narrative

Yes; the audience for this book is a bunch of nerds in high school. The vicarious fantasy being sold to them is how all those successful sports guys are just a bunch of assholes and they (the readers) are super great, really, and it's just that nobody respects it.

I don't think this was such a good vicarious fantasy.

EDIT: Also, I was told that it wasn't true that this is the material the old comics were selling, sans any lessons about power / responsibility. I offer those pages as evidence that I am being truthful in my assessment, regardless of whether people want to argue that the comics successfully justify the narrative.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Yes; the audience for this book is a bunch of nerds in high school. The vicarious fantasy being sold to them is how all those successful sports guys are just a bunch of assholes and they (the readers) are super great, really, and it's just that nobody respects it.

the primary comic-buying audience in 1962 was grade schoolers bro

rRwz9.gif
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    I need peanut butter I think

Drinking this stuff on an empty stomach is killing me

fuck gendered marketing

Flash is pretty clearly a dick though. Bullying towards nerds is absolutely a thing that happened and still happens. Bullying is kind of a huge problem.

And rather than go on a vicarious revenge fantasy, Peter takes the moral path and uses his powers for good and tries to ignore his bully.

I do not understand why you think this is bad.

Like, a lot of those successful sports guys are assholes. But Peter doesn't go on some weird rampage through them, he recognizes their bullying shit is petty and moves past it. He's a fantastic role model in that respect.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Husband put on a local cable access show.

It's a bunch of white dudes on Skype discussing conspiracy theories.

This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

Free square (9/11 was an inside job)
    "Lee Oswald" didn't kill Kennedy
    Nobody died at Sandy Hook
    "Nobody died in Boston, either."
    George Soros funded Jill Stein's recount campaign to get "Killary" elected
    "Army psy-ops"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Israel was responsible for Fukushima

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

aesthetic [chat]
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Eh

They were mostly buying Disney comics

Marvel deliberately targeted an older demo (though not much older)

fuck gendered marketing
    aesthetic [chat]

HM. Okay, that is a fair point.

With Love and Courage
    aesthetic [chat]
    Feral wrote: »

This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

"Army psy-ops"

In Boston like... ever?

fuck gendered marketing
    Israel was responsible for Fukushima

you'll be hearing from my shysters

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Snow has begun in Seattle. Half an inch down so far.

Will the morning herald Snowpacalypse?

• wafflesmageewafflesmagee I like pancakes. Registered User regular
    My sister got me the complete collection of Calvin and Hobbes for Christmas and I'm so happy about it. :)

aesthetic [chat]
    Jake: hook for a mage campaign: nobody has ever died in boston

fuck gendered marketing
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    @Bogart @Thomamelas I saw Nocturnal Animals tonight and it was very good. It's an independent movie about Amy Adams, LA art curator, stuck in a floundering marriage to a formerly-wealthy businessman whose business is going down the tubes and who may be having an affair. While he's away, she gets a box in the mail: a manuscript of a novel written by her first husband, whom she hasn't heard from in decades. She begins reading the novel, which is a thriller about a man (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his family being attacked by hillbillies on a lonely drive through west Texas, and what happens next; and while reading the novel, she begins musing on her original marriage (also to Jake Gyllenhaal).

It's meditative and chilly in that art-film way - lots of locked off shots, precise blocking, long pregnant pauses and so forth - but then the film within the film is looser and noirier. Everything is gorgeously filmed and the whole atmosphere, even in the real world, brims with nameless menace. I don't know if it's a timeless classic for the ages but it's very good and reminds me a lot of the kind of atmospheric, vibe-y indie movies I enjoyed in the 90s and early 00s, before that whole Garden State/Little Miss Sunshine era of mandatory whimsy.

You'll take your whimsy and you'll fucking like it Jacobkosh!

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    My sister got me the complete collection of Calvin and Hobbes for Christmas and I'm so happy about it. :)

makes snowmen to celebrate

aRkpc.gif
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Anyone who lives in an apartment with a window facing a street on a hill, get your camera ready now.

It'll save time in the morning when the madness begins.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • wafflesmageewafflesmagee I like pancakes. Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

makes snowmen to celebrate

A massacre of snowmen!!

aesthetic [chat]

Flash is pretty clearly a dick though. Bullying towards nerds is absolutely a thing that happened and still happens. Bullying is kind of a huge problem.

And rather than go on a vicarious revenge fantasy, Peter takes the moral path and uses his powers for good and tries to ignore his bully.

I do not understand why you think this is bad.

Like, a lot of those successful sports guys are assholes. But Peter doesn't go on some weird rampage through them, he recognizes their bullying shit is petty and moves past it. He's a fantastic role model in that respect.

Flash (in that era) is a narrative construct, not a person; he's a stereotype that a certain group of readers wants to believe applies to a large body of peers because it makes them feel better about their own faults. The real existence of bullies doesn't justify the stereotype or make the value judgment in the comic more worthwhile.

With Love and Courage
    Houn wrote: »

http://imgur.com/0xEilxR

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I gave my stepdad his XMas gift last night. It was a bluray player, his previous one sucked and has been randomly refusing to read discs so last night when he got fed up and threw it out on the lawn I quietly dug out his new one and had him open it. He was quite appreciative.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Calvin and Hobbes. Best of things.

ender i have never understood an argument less, and i've argued with people who were speaking mandarin

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    what's super weird is when adaptations of Spider-Man nowadays still include Flash Thompson as a bullying football jock who picks on Peter because... because something something nerrrrrrds?

it's super weird

an example is the Tobey Macguire movies where Flash bullies Peter for no real given reason at all

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i really hate when you walk into a room and someone follows you in and the door shuts behind them because of air pressure or spooky ghosts or whatever and you're like

i'm not trapped in here with you. you're trapped in here with me

and then you just give them belly rubs like no one ever has

and your cat is just like cool bro thanks can you open the door now

ok cat

ok

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    New chat poll?

*looks at voting options*

7hrh6fd5mw3b.png

yeah just don't vote

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2016
    Jocks are dumb and so are sports, nerds and Spider-Man 4eva

*sparkly angelfire graphics here*

VG4kVa2.jpg?1

edit: Hey isn't there a weird rule about posting PA comics that is exempt from size limits or something? I imgur'd this down just to be sure but I thought there was.

SniperGuy on
    aesthetic [chat]
    Kids are assholes?

That seems to be the reason most of the time

fuck gendered marketing
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I am always struck by how perfect Bad Santa is

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    aesthetic [chat]

"Army psy-ops"

That is interesting.

Is there a stated reason for the alleged Boston bombing hoax?

With Love and Courage
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    what's super weird is when adaptations of Spider-Man nowadays still include Flash Thompson as a bullying football jock who picks on Peter because... because something something nerrrrrrds?

it's super weird

an example is the Tobey Macguire movies where Flash bullies Peter for no real given reason at all

I'm not sure one really needs to explain why one kid ends up bullying another.

Pony wrote: »

Bullies don't need a reason other than opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.