As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] of the Year

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i haven't really read calvin and hobbes in gosh. . .15 years ish? I had a friend in college who had one of the books in his bathroom and i'd take some exceptional long poops just sitting there reading.

but that was when I was still pretty wet behind the years. I wonder how this version of DUE would take calvin and hobbes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I am always struck by how perfect Bad Santa is

it's almost like

good santa?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I mean

Jocks still bully nerds a lot

It's a culturally accepted thing, which is really shitty

I literally saw a kid get made fun of because he was reading a manga in school today

he was sitting at a table reading it and people shouted across a lunch room to mock him

because kids are assholes

It's a true stereotype because it's still super common

And still super shitty

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    shryke wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I saw Nocturnal Animals tonight and it was very good. It's an independent movie about Amy Adams, LA art curator, stuck in a floundering marriage to a formerly-wealthy businessman whose business is going down the tubes and who may be having an affair. While he's away, she gets a box in the mail: a manuscript of a novel written by her first husband, whom she hasn't heard from in decades. She begins reading the novel, which is a thriller about a man (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his family being attacked by hillbillies on a lonely drive through west Texas, and what happens next; and while reading the novel, she begins musing on her original marriage (also to Jake Gyllenhaal).

It's meditative and chilly in that art-film way - lots of locked off shots, precise blocking, long pregnant pauses and so forth - but then the film within the film is looser and noirier. Everything is gorgeously filmed and the whole atmosphere, even in the real world, brims with nameless menace. I don't know if it's a timeless classic for the ages but it's very good and reminds me a lot of the kind of atmospheric, vibe-y indie movies I enjoyed in the 90s and early 00s, before that whole Garden State/Little Miss Sunshine era of mandatory whimsy.

You'll take your whimsy and you'll fucking like it Jacobkosh!

I just need a lolrandom girl to teach me how to love again

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Husband put on a local cable access show.

It's a bunch of white dudes on Skype discussing conspiracy theories.

This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

Free square (9/11 was an inside job)
    "Lee Oswald" didn't kill Kennedy
    Nobody died at Sandy Hook
    "Nobody died in Boston, either."
    George Soros funded Jill Stein's recount campaign to get "Killary" elected
    "Army psy-ops"

That is interesting.

Is there a stated reason for the alleged Boston bombing hoax?

No, they kind of throw these out rapid-fire as if they're established facts.

Sometimes a dude will be talking and they'll put up an unrelated blog post from some conspiracy-theory website about an unrelated topic.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

if you liked that then you'll love Bad Santa 2: Bad 2 Da Bone

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i haven't really read calvin and hobbes in gosh. . .15 years ish? I had a friend in college who had one of the books in his bathroom and i'd take some exceptional long poops just sitting there reading.

but that was when I was still pretty wet behind the years. I wonder how this version of DUE would take calvin and hobbes.

like are we the dad now?

the dad was still pretty cool tho

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

"Army psy-ops"

That is interesting.

Hm yes I'd like to know what really happened to the people I know who died

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

That seems to be the reason most of the time

irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man didn't have like... anything?

He just existed

And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

that's not really the case?

people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

factors that aren't necessarily their fault and aren't at all fair

but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied

• Options

"Army psy-ops"

That is interesting.

(((y2jake215)))

is what they would say in response.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

You'd either rediscover your inner-child, full of imagination and youthful energy, or you'd throw snowballs at unsuspecting girls.
    calvin-hobbes-santa.png

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

if you liked that then you'll love Bad Santa 2: Bad 2 Da Bone

The only bad part of bad Santa is that it spawned bad teacher and bad moms and bad Santa 2

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]

"Army psy-ops"

That is interesting.

govt moved them to the Bahamas

presumably that's also where they shipped the limbs of my friend whom must have agree to have them sawn off as part of the conspiracy

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]

"Army psy-ops"

That is interesting.

No, they kind of throw these out rapid-fire as if they're established facts.

Sometimes a dude will be talking and they'll put up an unrelated blog post from some conspiracy-theory website about an unrelated topic.

Wait what Boston thing didn't kill people?

Because one of my best friends survived the marathon bombing

He's now fighting to survive cancer

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

"Army psy-ops"

That is interesting.

(((y2jake215)))

is what they would say in response.

it's what i would say anyway

even devoid of meaningful context

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

You'd either rediscover your inner-child, full of imagination and youthful energy, or you'd throw snowballs at unsuspecting girls.
    calvin-hobbes-santa.png

why are these assumed to be mutually exclusive

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    fuck cancer.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

He just existed

And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied

You mean factors like being a socially awkward scrawny kid interested in nerdy things that his peers think are uncool?

One does not really need to explain bullying.

• Options
    an example is the Tobey Macguire movies where Flash bullies Peter for no real given reason at all

Bullies don't need a reason other than opportunity.

except that opportunity is that a person is socially vulnerable

that social vulnerability comes from somewhere

a person could be a new kid or be ESL or any number of things

but it is not, in fact, some random dice roll one day

people don't like addressing this ugly reality because it sounds remarkably close to assigning blame or fault or trying to make it sound like justifying bullying, when it's none of those things

what i'm pointing out is that Hollywood has an overwhelming tendency to present protagonists who simply... get bullied, and there's no reason why they do. They just do.

which makes their bullies look like weird, capricious forces of nature instead of people acting out social pressures and conformity standards and a bunch of other social dynamics

hence the whole stereotype in Hollywood of bullies who are bullies on account of being abused themselves which again, irl doesn't actually pan out as much as TV would have you believe

• Options
    wafflesmageewafflesmagee I like pancakes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    a massacre of snowmen :p

https://youtu.be/pq8iyhMFLYE
    Bill is still very much alive just retired.

wafflesmagee on
  • Options
    an example is the Tobey Macguire movies where Flash bullies Peter for no real given reason at all

Bullies don't need a reason other than opportunity.

except that opportunity is that a person is socially vulnerable

that social vulnerability comes from somewhere

a person could be a new kid or be ESL or any number of things

but it is not, in fact, some random dice roll one day

people don't like addressing this ugly reality because it sounds remarkably close to assigning blame or fault or trying to make it sound like justifying bullying, when it's none of those things

what i'm pointing out is that Hollywood has an overwhelming tendency to present protagonists who simply... get bullied, and there's no reason why they do. They just do.

which makes their bullies look like weird, capricious forces of nature instead of people acting out social pressures and conformity standards and a bunch of other social dynamics

hence the whole stereotype in Hollywood of bullies who are bullies on account of being abused themselves which again, irl doesn't actually pan out as much as TV would have you believe

It can be pretty random what counts as a sign of weakness.

• Options
    Kids are assholes?

He just existed

That is 100% the case. "They look vaguely different and/or shy and/or don't have friends" is 100% a reason.

"Whoever is nearest I can make fun of and doesn't respond the way I want them to" is absolutely a reason someone will get bullied.

Bullies don't use logic or reason to pick who they decide to marginalize.

I am literally a teacher and kids have tried to bully me for playing video games.

I haven't even told them I play video games!

Kids are shitty and many of them will be jerks. Jocks are especially encouraged to do this due to their peers and surroundings.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I respect you a great deal and I particularly respect your perspective on jock-shaming in nerd cultures, but on this particular scope of the debate you're not quite right.

Yes, disabilities and marginalized identities are attractive factors for bullies, but they're not necessary conditions. Rather, adolescent bullies are attracted to victims for one primary reason: their chosen victims have weaker peer connections and fewer people to take their side. The major selective factor, among all others, is that the victim is unpopular.

Disabilities and marginalized identities can put a victim in the position of being unpopular, or it can simply be that the victim is shy or the new kid in school.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Kids are assholes?

He just existed

You mean factors like being a socially awkward scrawny kid interested in nerdy things that his peers think are uncool?

The thing is, Tobey Macguire's Peter Parker isn't really especially scrawny, isn't really any more socially awkward than Tobey Macguire is by default, and doesn't really get any establishing hobbies of what a person could consider "uncool" beyond... photography?

I mean I'm saying the character is poorly developed in general really, but the larger point I'm making is the film relies on a bunch of narrative shorthand for you to jump to the conclusion that he's a mawkish nerd that is some kind of bully magnet and that this makes his interaction with Flash somehow make sense

and it... doesn't?

it's weird and poorly done

Pony on
  • Options
    fuck cancer.

i dunno has anyone ever considered what cancer thinks?

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    fuck cancer.

i dunno has anyone ever considered what cancer thinks?

as a cancer,

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    Tobey Maguire comes across as pretty socially awkward though

Plus being nearly 30 and still being in high school would, I assume, elicit some comments

Burnage on
  • Options
    Kids are assholes?

He just existed

The thing is, Tobey Macguire's Peter Parker isn't really especially scrawny, isn't really any more socially awkward than Tobey Macguire is by default, and doesn't really get any establishing hobbies of what a person could consider "uncool" beyond... photography?

I mean I'm saying the character is poorly developed in general really, but the larger point I'm making is the film relies on a bunch of narrative shorthand for you to jump to the conclusion that he's a mawkish nerd that is some kind of bully magnet and that this makes his interaction with Flash somehow make sense

and it... doesn't?

But it's not. You understand the shorthands at work and he is portrayed as awkward, scrawny and badly dressed. The whole point is to establish his place int he social hierarchy and a deep-dive into his and Flash's history within the high school social structure is irrelevant to the plot beyond what is established.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Tobey Maguire comes across as pretty social awkward though

Plus being nearly 30 and still being in high school would, I assume, elicit some comments

i mean

he is a total nerd

• Options

I respect you a great deal and I particularly respect your perspective on jock-shaming in nerd cultures, but on this particular scope of the debate you're not quite right.

Yes, disabilities and marginalized identities are attractive factors for bullies, but they're not necessary conditions. Rather, adolescent bullies are attracted to victims for one primary reason: their chosen victims have weaker peer connections and fewer people to take their side. The major selective factor, among all others, is that the victim is unpopular.

Disabilities and marginalized identities can put a victim in the position of being unpopular, or it can simply be that the victim is shy or the new kid in school.

I literally say that exact thing, Feral.

I mean, I don't say it in the post you quote, but I literally say that bullies choose people based on social vulnerability, and that can very much include a person being ESL or the new kid or just dressing slightly differently or whatever.

But, again, what I'm saying is that film and television are bad at portraying this. Film and television portray bullies as capricious forces of nature, whose motives are unknowable and it's all kind of absurd.

• Options
    Kids are assholes?

He just existed

and it... doesn't?

Photography is seen as an uncool nerd thing here in the states quite often. Photography is definitely a nerdy hobby. Basically anything that isn't a sport is considered an uncool hobby!

And Tobey Macguire isn't on the football team like Flash. Thus, target.

Also in the movie it's clearly set up that Flash has been bullying him for a while, though we don't get to see the entire history (because that would be boring as hell)

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kids are assholes?

He just existed

Hollywood no doubt wants to stay away from labels and reasons to keep as large an audience as possible as happy as possible. A summer blockbuster getting into specifics gets the internet riled no matter which motivation the script writers give the bullies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWCi9Bxu1pk
    Flash is going to beat the shit out of Peter because Peter narc'd on Flash for reckless driving and got his license revoked Peter spilled some food on Flash.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Before we went into the theater, we stopped at the Trader Joe's next door. I came out with a huge tin of "European cookies" (assorted biscuits, basically) and a bottle of rosé

Sixteen dollars to feel like king fancy isn't too bad

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, I mean Cancer has had a rough go of it these last few decades. First the mill closed, and then one by one the stores in town died off, until all that's left is a tiny grocery store, a gas station, and a check cashing place. And now there's all these foreign types moving into Cancer's town. Cancer doesn't even recognize his country anymore.
    So when someone comes along and tells Cancer they're going to fix all that then Cancer listens. Even if he knows in his cold rotten heart it's all bullshit.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    y'know what I'm gonna drop this subject

nevermind

• Options
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2016
    i think every spiderman film i've seen has done an adequate job of suggesting peter parker doesn't have a great defense network or support system. if one of the accepted routes of bullying is established, popular person vs person without the social currency to resist, it seems to hit those marks. establishing why he doesn't have a network of loyal friends- scrawny, esl, whatever- is, i think, unnecessary.

Organichu on
  • Options

I literally say that exact thing, Feral.

I mean, I don't say it in the post you quote, but I literally say that bullies choose people based on social vulnerability, and that can very much include a person being ESL or the new kid or just dressing slightly differently or whatever.

But, again, what I'm saying is that film and television are bad at portraying this. Film and television portray bullies as capricious forces of nature, whose motives are unknowable and it's all kind of absurd.

Okay. We got our posts crossed, I think.

I don't totally agree with the generalization there of TV and movies, but I think we agree on the empirical matter of why bullies do, so imma drop it.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean

Jocks still bully nerds a lot

It's a culturally accepted thing, which is really shitty

I literally saw a kid get made fun of because he was reading a manga in school today

he was sitting at a table reading it and people shouted across a lunch room to mock him

because kids are assholes

It's a true stereotype because it's still super common

And still super shitty

But being a bully has nothing to do with being into sports, or even anything to do with being physically fit. SM comics reinforce the notion that they do (note that Parker, though being incredibly strong, does not participate in sporting activities & these activities are almost always framed in a negative sense).

Contrast that with the way that, say, Calvin & Hobbes (since this comic that I like more was mentioned!) presents the same problems & similar situations: Calvin is a sympathetic protagonist that the reader can identify with but isn't romanced the same way that Parker was. In the comics where C&H deal explicitly with bullying, the author tells the reader that, yup, sometimes the world is shitty & full of shitty people and you'll just have to deal with that in a more or less powerless capacity.

Old SM creates a morality play by demonizing a large body of people & cultural interest with a stereotype & assigning virtue to nerd awkwardness (again, new SM doesn't do this, etc etc). I don't like that.

With Love and Courage
This discussion has been closed.