As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    GOOD. If I were Nico I would have waited until Australia FP1 though.

Mercedes needs to be smart with this pick. I think Werhlein is way too early of a move.

Bottas is an interesting idea and the business relationships are there. I like Perez even more but it probably won't happen.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Somewhere, Maldonaldo is making some very excitable phone calls.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    My initial conspiracy theory idea was that it was a Button move for a year, given the whole 'not racing but not retiring thing' but the whole being on a McLaren retainer thing screws that idea. Bottas would be a great move if they could get him, or MaximumV if RBR were silly enough to let him out of a contract. Patriotically I'd love to see Ricco in there, but I imagine he's locked into RBR too for a while.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2016
    damnit @decius

I got rear ended on the way home from work today. I am fine, car has a cracked rear bumper. THEY ALWAYS HURT THE ONES YOU LOVE!

zerzhul on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Have I become the patron saint of car accidents now or something?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    something like that, for not at fault accidents anyhow

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Had a another business trip yesterday, so another rental to try out.

In the last few months I had

Audi A3 diesel, manual
    Renault Megane GT, automatic
    Opel Astra Sports Tourer, manual

and yesterday an BMW 4 coupe diesel, automatic

BMW certainly is the most idiosyncratic when it comes to the controls and interface. The way every switch and lever is designed to always be in the same position regardless of function can be annoying. Like who thought the way the turn signal control work the way it does needs a slap to the head. The idrive controller needs some time to adjust to, too. But I can see making it some sense. It easily reachable at least.

Also kinda weird that the beamer was the car with the most archaic dashboard design. All the other cars had digital speedometers, touchscreens and secondary navigation screens in the middle of the dashboard. Not the BMW. The Megane also had a HUD, lane assist, distance warning, and traffic sign recognition.

My judgement so far:

I don’t like the sound of diesel engines.
    The safety systems and HUD of the Megane were pretty nice.
    Sportier cars like the Megane and the BMW with their hard suspension are only more fun to drive than the other cars when you go over 150. At slower speeds I prefer it more comfortable.
    A lot of the Autobahn I was driving on had roadworks anyway with an 80km speed limit and reduced lane width. Better visibility like in the Astra really trumps sportiness in that case.

Having the cars only for a single day with a tight schedule means I couldn’t really get into the control and systems the cars might have had that I didn’t get to use like cruise control, auto brake systems and what not.

And that’s it from a cyclist’s experiences in driving.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    someone in Richmond is selling a '64 Honda Cub in barn find condition for $200 and that actually sounds like it could be a fun winter project - frame looks good and the existing motor turns and has spark. plus the seller is including a new carb and some gaskets he bought but didn't have time to fit. parts are wicked easy to find or even fabricate, and if the current motor is no good I can always bolt up a $250 Lifan. this is severely tempting as a winter project.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    someone in Richmond is selling a '64 Honda Cub in barn find condition for $200 and that actually sounds like it could be a fun winter project - frame looks good and the existing motor turns and has spark. plus the seller is including a new carb and some gaskets he bought but didn't have time to fit. parts are wicked easy to find or even fabricate, and if the current motor is no good I can always bolt up a $250 Lifan. this is severely tempting as a winter project.

Do eet!!!

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Sent him an email, with a text soon to follow. I have a friend with a lot of custom bike building experience who's 100% willing to buy it off of me, too, if the project ends up not being any fun on my end. I figure it's a perfect opportunity to figure out how a four stroke motor works, with minimal consequences and the potential reward of a working Honda!

• Options
    Cubs are awesome and you'll meet the nicest people on it.

• Options
    So I got those new tyres today.. mostly. Some Kumho whatevers on the car, and the cheapest whatever for a spare.. but at the tyre shop the guy was all 'yea the rim has a bit of a flat spot here, so that's why it's not holding air...' so I took it up the road to be repaired, they stuck it on a flywheel to check it out and holy shit that junk was not round nor was it rolling vertical. So it's being mended because I want a spare that I can rely on and a new set of rims is a way off yet.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Hmm, by right front brake is making a squealing noise when I pull away from a stop, and it sounds like there's a bit of a "friction noise" when I brake. I'm at 21,000 miles on the car so I'd hope the pad isn't worn out yet. Maybe something's on the pad? I dunno, I don't really want to pay for a brake pad change and I don't have a jack/garage space to do it myself.

I mean, I technically have a garage space but our lease agreement said no car maintenance in the stall. I'm thinking that just means no fluids but I guess I'd have to talk to my landlady to be sure.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Probably just a bit of sand jammed in the pad. Is there a groove developing on the surface of the disc?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Speaking of squealing brakes, holy fuck the EBC Yellows are obnoxious on the Tahoe. Fronts are great but the rears squeal like crazy under light braking. They shut up if you get on the brakes hard, but I don't drive the truck like a racecar all the time...

• Options
    Probably just a bit of sand jammed in the pad. Is there a groove developing on the surface of the disc?

I checked the surface of the disc and it looks the same as all the rest of them, no noticeable groove developing.

I stopped by a shop to get it inspected and I'll go from there. If it's nothing serious then I'm out a $15 inspection fee, and if it's not the brake pad then I can get it into the dealership for a more thorough inspection and any repairs that might be under warranty.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I drove on the highway the other day.

It was tough but I survived.

I almost got on the wrong exit though at 475 and i75.

Also there was a place where the right lane ended and I realized too late and I was between a truck on my left and a wall so I had to pass the truck. Lucky I had room because I had to get up to like 80 or 85 mph.

Need more practice. To bad I'm sick today.

• Options
    One thing I really appreciate about LA is that lanes that are going to change into turn-only lanes are marked with differently shaped paint lines on the road (short and fat lines vs long and narrow lines). Most lanes that just end and require a merge are marked with both signs and arrow markers on the road.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Holy SHIT did this car eat its front brake pads. They showed me the pads and they're basically non-existant.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Factory pads are weird. Sometimes they're hard as shit so they'll last, other times they are soft to give better braking performance and pedal feel.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Note to self: check the subaru's brake pads. They're starting to give off the slightest squeak when I pull out of the driveway in the morning.

Oh also, my wife picked up a new Mazda 3! Her blue paint is a bit more refined than mine:

toke5enstwos.jpg

Unfortunately, a little plastic trim piece has already fallen off of the front bumper. We're not sure when it fell off, but we're gonna head to the dealer for a replacement tomorrow.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    I laughed a lot when I learned that the Subaru blue is colloquially known as 'rare blue'.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Factory pads are weird. Sometimes they're hard as shit so they'll last, other times they are soft to give better braking performance and pedal feel.

Apparently mine went with the "performance" option. Which, yeah ok I get it. But the fronts squeal like crazy if I'm just lightly using them to slow down. Ford says that's what they're supposed to sound like. Eh.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I laughed a lot when I learned that the Subaru blue is colloquially known as 'rare blue'.

That is just absurd

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I can live without a new Mazda rotary sports car but the recent news really made it sound like there won't be any Mazda sports cars beyond the MX-5. That kind of bums me out. I liked owning a Mazda.

A Mazdaspeed6 is I guess the best I can hope for? I doubt that'll come out ever (and definitely not to Canada).

I like my Mini but dealing with BMW is a gigantic headache. I can't even get them to co-operate on helping me get my rebate on my winter tires.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Speaking of squealing brakes, holy fuck the EBC Yellows are obnoxious on the Tahoe. Fronts are great but the rears squeal like crazy under light braking. They shut up if you get on the brakes hard, but I don't drive the truck like a racecar all the time...

Haven't tried them on a truck but had them on 2 cars, including the Miata right now. They are a lot noisier until they break-in. They do make a scraping noise, and don't use the parking brake when it's wet if you can help it, as they will stick to the rotors overnight/etc and make a pretty jarring PANGG sound when you first start off... Pretty dusty pads.. otherwise very good, at least on lighter vehicles.

• Options
    cant remember if i posted this or not but i dont understand why they are using Mike Skinner on The Grand Tour

if you went through the pantheon of NASCAR drivers from the mid-90's, it would be very hard to find one less notable than Mike Skinner

• Options
    edited December 2016
    spono wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »

That is just absurd

Yea. :D
    Jasconius wrote: »
    cant remember if i posted this or not but i dont understand why they are using Mike Skinner on The Grand Tour

if you went through the pantheon of NASCAR drivers from the mid-90's, it would be very hard to find one less notable than Mike Skinner

That might be the joke (but I've not seen it).

pimento on
  • Options
    Welp, Mazda won't replace the plastic bit that fell off, but they'll gladly sell us one for $57 fucking dollars. What a crock of shit

I'm just gonna pull off the one on the opposite side and try to model and 3d print a new one

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Snow time! I've never painted wheels before, pretty happy with how these came out.

Base:
    15337539_10107503634478173_4965191666332798666_n.jpg?oh=2b72f96c825662bb8d5783db4c40e63f&oe=58E630FA

Painted:
    15326536_10107503634473183_4549195572741721749_n.jpg?oh=f3d924878beef17593d25babbc0b2d35&oe=58BAC22E

Mounted with Blizzaks: :cool:
    15356640_10107503634458213_4609982996404409680_n.jpg?oh=36fee0509bdb3c075afa54b1e4477b0a&oe=58EFC37A

15380856_10107503634448233_3352855466987281000_n.jpg?oh=71f8acecb1cc81dfe474368f53f7cfd7&oe=58F563DC

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    we had a few inches of snow last night. Luckily, I just put the snow tires on my FRS last week.

The main roads were fine, just wet; but my street had lots of snow.

Nothing like going sideways down the street at 20 km/h :D

• Options
    my wife got a Ford F150 XL cab... AMERICA

the seating are is almost as big as some peoples offices

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    my wife got a Ford F150 XL cab... AMERICA

the seating are is almost as big as some peoples offices

F150? What is this commie bullshit? F550 or go home. I mean, who doesn't need the ability to tow their own F-35?

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Watching a bunch of Miata-with-an-LS, S2000-with-an-LS, RX7-with-an-LS videos, and someone tell me why they don't just have V8 options for like, every car ever? For Chevy, the LS trim on their cars should mean it has a, well, LS in it.

(Don't answer that. I'm just mostly annoyed by hearing all these shitty ass exhausts on these stupid dumb cars.)

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    I made a chevy aveo with an LS in it in Forza 3, I don't know why it was never a list option.

• Options
    a nu start wrote: »
    Watching a bunch of Miata-with-an-LS, S2000-with-an-LS, RX7-with-an-LS videos, and someone tell me why they don't just have V8 options for like, every car ever? For Chevy, the LS trim on their cars should mean it has a, well, LS in it.

(Don't answer that. I'm just mostly annoyed by hearing all these shitty ass exhausts on these stupid dumb cars.)

The vast majority of people don't want 525 horsepower (what the hell is wrong with them?!?), but those who do also often like their cars to be small and light, which means that if they want to put a big horsepower motor in it, it also needs to be small and light. LS's are physically tiny for their power output, and being all alloy they're also pretty light.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    also a Miata with LS costs like $30,000 *just for the V8 conversion - plus the cost of the car*
    so basically a new 525hp LS Miata would cost around $60,000
    so .... yeah, no.

just buy a Vette if that's what you want.
    (and grow a mustache)

jwalk on
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I mean, I was mostly joking. But if you want to get into the numbers, economy of scale. Quick math tells me the V8 Mustang over the baseline is maybe $8k more, and V8 Camaro is something like $11k more. Assuming the car was designed around fitting a V8, a stock LS Miata-esque car probably wouldn't cost $60k. They'd probably charge that much to the enthusiasts, though.

Not that I need 525hp. I'd be happy with just 400.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hey, I've got a question. Within the last three weeks, my 2016 V6 Camaro has been making a sort of creaking sound near the back left tire area (more inwards towards the center, but that is about where I hear the sound coming from as I drive) whenever I move (forward or in reverse) from a complete stop. It does not occur when I'm at speeds higher than about 15-20 mph. But as I'm reversing out of a space or if I'm turning from a stop at a light, or what have you, it makes this noise. And it continues at the same volume level until I get around 15 mph or so. What could this be? It's pretty new (just got it in March) and only has 4K miles on it. It's also a manual, if that matters.

I'm going to take it in to be looked at after the holidays, but I want an idea of what to tell them so they won't just pass it off and say they couldn't find anything. I had that issue with my last Camaro with the car refusing to go into 1st from a stop about 35% of the time. Dealership looked at it, and couldn't find an issue. I don't want a repeat of that.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Could be a natural sound of the suspension moving up and down. Maybe something back there needs grease?

This discussion has been closed.