As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What can I do with my dual screens?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
I have had dual screens for quite sometime but I feel they are hardly put to any use. For one thing I can't switch between windows at all while in games and I feel their should be a way to do that. With all the dual stuff I have in my computer I feel like I should be able to treat the other screen like a whole new computer. The only thing I don't have dual of is cards but I do have the slots for SLI. Also, what bothers me is that while in a game I just have a background but no screen saver comes on. Is there anyway to have the screen saver stay on the other screen until I use it? Anyone know of any good programs for dual screens?

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ultramon is a necessity for anyone with two (or more) monitors. It adds a taskbar to the second monitor and adds a bunch of other little things.

As for uses, I fill up my second monitor with random crap like AIM, xfire, Vista's sidebar, digital post-it notes, a media player, and more. This way I can have Firefox or Word maximized on my primary monitory, and still see the random crap I occasionally use on my second monitor. Oftentimes, I'll have Firefox up on both or Word on both, or Word on one and Firefox on the other (for research reports or something).

For gaming, two monitors are pretty much useless. Supreme Commander and Flight Simulator X are the only games I know of that use both monitors and I doubt there are many (though I'm sure there are some) others.

As for switching between monitors while in games, all you can do is either run the game in windowed mode or alt+tab. There's no other way. You also can't have one monitor in screen saver but the other monitor stay active. I'd just turn off the second monitor when you don't want to use it.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    KerdosKerdos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ultramon was really nice, couldn't get myself to drop $50 on it after the trial.

2 monitors isn't really a gaming thing, its a productivity thing. You wouldn't be using the second monitor in any kind of shooter, and sometimes its better to disactivate the second monitor before loading the game (many EA games require you to do this). MMORPGs are much better with it. You can be running the game windowed-maximized in your primary monitor, and be having your wowhead/ventrillo/whatever up in the second monitor. Everyone else essentially has to go afk for 30 seconds to a minute to look up some info on a poorly explained quest, you do it nearly instantly. Ditto if you need to interact with Ventrillo during the course of play.

For multi-media rigs their nice, it allows you to use them both as a computer and a TV at the same time. In fact, I'm watching last weeks Simpsons episode on Fox On Demand as I'm typing this. Also, HDTVs suck as computer monitors. But plug in a computer monitor in one port, a 40inch LCD into the other, and you have the best of both worlds.

Productivity is really the point though. Writing a document on the primary with sources on the second. Far better than alt-tabbing or tiling. Have your workflow program primary and a group-chat client on the secondary. Hell, just having their email client always visible and active is the best thing since the spell-checker.

Kerdos on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I use mine for Photoshop and Illustrator toolbars and palettes, but if you don't heavily use these apps then I don't know why one would own one.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    I use mine for Photoshop and Illustrator toolbars and palettes, but if you don't heavily use these apps then I don't know why one would own one.

I generally have code maximised on my small (19") monitor whilst the big (24") monitor houses a resized-to-1024px stacked IE7/firefox/opera window, a squashed FTP client and then usually documentation underneath. Really increases productivity.

For gaming the second monitor is basically useless apart from the clock in the Vista sidebar. That's useful for checking between rounds for when I should go to bed.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I vary, since I have a dual screen setup at work. If doing website stuff then it'll be dreamwever/code on the left monitor and browsers on the right.

Or when i'm testing software i'll often have multiple virtual machines open on my right monitor whilst I do work stuff on the left.

Multimon is handy but nowhere near as good as Ultramon. But, it is free unlike Ultramon.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I doubt I code handle coding without multiple windows ever again. Code on primary screen, API / Bug Report / DDD on second. Then on my second workspace I have a couple terminals, email, music player.

Ethea on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There are specificly made screen savers for multimonitor setups that handle the idle time as screen dependant, so you could be playing a game on ony monitor, and after a time on the other the screen saver will come up. I had a matrix code screensaver for a bit that could do this.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just recently borrowed my friends monitor (his computer died) and I'm having a blast with it. I can have 2 Firefox windows open, which is great in situations like at Thanksgiving when we had multiple people needing different recipes open at the same time. I play WoW on one and browse on the other. And sometimes, I'll play WoW, and my fiancee and I can watch a movie on Netflix on the other.

Wow, that really makes me sound bad. I've only done that once. I do plenty of stuff with her without WoW involved.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I started running dual monitors years ago, back when windows first added support for them, and I don't know what I would do without them. Even my PC at work makes me feel 'helpless' and hindered due to only having one screen.

The uses for dual monitors are myriad. Here are some of mine:

Graphic Design. Image on one screen, toolbars on another
    Or Image and tools on one screen, reference image on the other, etc..

Gaming, I have two Eve Online accounts and will run both of them simultaneously. Much easier than alt-tabbing between.

General file system access. Much easier to drag and drop files between seperate locations when you can have both instances of explorer open each on its own screen.

Browsing. I like to watch movies on my computer, and sometimes want to check a website or my email without disrupting the movie.

Lots of other uses. I'd say if you have the two monitors already and a dual-head card, there is no reason NOT to use it.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Get some sort of music making program. Start with FL Studio then maybe get something better. They make good usage of multiple screens, but I suppose it also helps to know how to use them and be good at making music.

Shogun on
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ethea wrote: »
    I doubt I code handle coding without multiple windows ever again. Code on primary screen, API / Bug Report / DDD on second. Then on my second workspace I have a couple terminals, email, music player.
    Nothing but the truth - also having to different sources right there in front of you at the same time is godsend.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Wait, there are games that use dual screen?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Acolyte57Acolyte57 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah. Like i just happened to post in H&A, Supreme Commander has a dualscreen function where you get the big map on the secondary monitor - though having strategic zoom that easily available in the game doesn't make it much of a necessity.

Acolyte57 on
    101 little bugs in the file / 101 little bugs / take one out and recompile / 102 little bugs in the file
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    With Supreme Commander, you don't just get a big map on the secondary monitor. You can zoom in and out fully on both monitors. At least with the demo, you could. I never played the retail version.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SupCom: Forged Alliance just came out
    supcom1b.jpg

supcom2b.jpg

Somebody besides me has to think this is fun.... I feel so lonely. :P

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »

X3 Reunion can use multiple screens, curiously enough X3 being a copy of your namesake.. Elite.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have the original SupCom, but no one ever wants to play, and now that I'm reduced back to one screen on my Vista setup... :(

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    EliteLamer wrote: »

X3 Reunion can use multiple screens, curiously enough X3 being a copy of your namesake.. Elite.
    Wait, it can? How? I have the game, but I've never been able to get it to use that second monitor.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    SupCom: Forged Alliance just came out
    supcom1b.jpg

supcom2b.jpg

Somebody besides me has to think this is fun.... I feel so lonely. :P

I didn't even know Forged Alliance came out till a few days ago, and now I'm broke. I love SupCom and I'd like to play more (even though I suck total shit at it).

The second monitor for the map though is awesome. You can zoom in with it if you'd like so you can always know what's going on at your base while you're leading your units to an enemy, for example. That and I got an idea (from these forums, I think) of playing over a network with a buddy of mine, and set up the second monitor as a projector screen, so my friend and I can both use the huge map displayed on the wall. I think it'd be totally fucking awesome. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png