As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unfortunately, you usually need a [job] to survive

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    It hit 45°C today. That is officially Too Warm for my brain. I spent a lot of the day sighing and staring.

damn

the temperature differential in this thread is like 70 degrees celcius

Sounds like perfect conditions for a big ol' tornado.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    And by caring about my school JROTC cadets, I mostly mean giving them a hard time about their uniforms and rubbing it into their faces that I have a first place orienteering team trophy and they don't. I figure I'm pushing them to be better cadets especially since the program was in pretty rough shape before the retired major took over last year and has been trying to rebuild it from nothing.

More than the other teachers in the school do though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    i have a set of Muji .38mm pens they're lovely

also yes minor salary negotiation success after initial fail

coulda probably done better if handled right from the start but i am happy with the number so

Yay! Congratulations! :biggrin:

ZgNvvv.jpg

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    It hit 45°C today. That is officially Too Warm for my brain. I spent a lot of the day sighing and staring.

damn

the temperature differential in this thread is like 70 degrees celcius

I think you're lowballing that number

It was -35 this morning when I went to work

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yay it's above freezing today! A couple nights ago it was -28 degrees Fahrenheit. With windchill, anyway. Without windchill it was only -11!

Metzger Meister on
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    And by caring about my school JROTC cadets, I mostly mean giving them a hard time about their uniforms and rubbing it into their faces that I have a first place orienteering team trophy and they don't. I figure I'm pushing them to be better cadets especially since the program was in pretty rough shape before the retired major took over last year and has been trying to rebuild it from nothing.

The bar for effort in most of those programs isn't high.
    Do you guys need anything for the program?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

The bar for effort in most of those programs isn't high.
    Do you guys need anything for the program?

Not that I know of but I'll ask. It seems to be okay supplied, the previous instructor just did a really bad job so there is little actual drive from the students. The current guy is pretty good though and they've already come a long way in a year.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Well one of the secretaries brought a puppy in

so that's one thing making today alright, anyway

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Hours counting down before work sleep.

I'm realizing that I don't fight my family for my car anymore as I'm too tired.

I pained $200 and something on the phone bill and still have money left, so I could comfortably pay the other bill.

My game project is actually working and I've fixed more than I've broken (still looks like shit)

Looking for entry level GIS stuff still depresses me and I've got the nagging suspicion that I should have looked in other fields this weekend.

If I were to make a portfolio of all the old GIS coursework I made in college, what sort of portfolio website would I make?

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Yay it's above freezing today! A couple nights ago it was -28 degrees Fahrenheit. With windchill, anyway. Without windchill it was only -11!

It was 50 degrees today. I thought I was going to die from the cold. I sprinted to my car in the morning to avoid what I can only assume was the onset of frostbite. I live in the south to avoid the cold! Where is this global warming everyone is talking about?! Is there anything I can do to speed up that process and just get rid of winter already?

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    50 F?

some people here legit wear shorts when it hits 50 F

Al_wat on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, I see that and I think "So I don't need that jacket then?"

Of course, I scurry from air conditioning to air conditioning when we hit the 90's.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So the manager of a nearby library branch is quitting to go work at a library on a literal goddamn tropical island. This is great for him, because he currently works at the roughest branch in the system. Here are a few snippets of poetry from this library's recent incident reports:

"The man in blue jeans staggered around the outside grounds continuing to inhale contents from the aerosol can. At one point he came up to the windows (near the back row of computers) and attempted to 'enter' the building by pushing on the glass window as if it were a door."

"The patron initially denied hitting the boy but then stated that he would punch this boy in the face in front of everyone."

"At around 7:40pm I noticed the strong smell of gasoline from the computer area."

"I greeted the man and told him that shaving his head in the restrooms is not allowed."

"The patron requested a tissue and began talking incoherently for about 10 minutes."

"The tablet case was infested with hundreds of small bed bugs."

Now, guess who is getting pulled out of his delightful little community library where he just got the reference staff running like a finely oiled machine and being forced to serve as interim manager of New Jack City Public Library until they can hire some rube to take over? Go on, you'll never guess.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    :bro:

aTBDrQE.jpg
    I do love how public library incident reports are pretty much identical regardless of place in the country.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Yea, I see that and I think "So I don't need that jacket then?"

Of course, I scurry from air conditioning to air conditioning when we hit the 90's.

Any colder and I won't even think about going outside for any reason. If it got to -anything and my house caught fire I would almost certainly die from refusing to leave my nice warm home.

It will snow here once every few decades and I am always convinced it is the apocalypse. It got cold enough recently for potentially some ice on the roads and the city basically declared a state of emergency and shut everything down. We don't understand temperatures below 32. Water was meant to be kept in a liquid state unless you are using it to cool a drink. Nothing else makes sense.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    50 depends on the season for me. 50F in spring? That's shorts weather. 50F in fall? I'm throwing on a long sleeve shirt or a hoodie.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    50 is a degree away from the 40's. 50 means pants, a few layers including a thick hoodie or fleece if I'm just going to my car which I know I can heat up within 10 minutes. If I'm going out out? Maybe even an autumn coat.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I could go for some 50s right now.

20 right now

no thanks

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    This had been such a shitty, frustrating week that I've been on the verge of just going "fuck all this" and leave, follow up job be damned.

I won't actually do that, but I'm tempted.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I could go for some 50s right now.

20 right now

no thanks

I miss last month's unseasonable warmth.

But 50s? Yeah that's shorts weather.

90s are fuck no hiding inside leave me alone.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Due to end of year labor cuts and a no-show, work was shit today.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    90 degrees is beautiful, but I'll want to stay indoors to not be burned.

Conversely, 60 degrees and I'm freezing my ass off.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    So the manager of a nearby library branch is quitting to go work at a library on a literal goddamn tropical island. This is great for him, because he currently works at the roughest branch in the system. Here are a few snippets of poetry from this library's recent incident reports:

"The man in blue jeans staggered around the outside grounds continuing to inhale contents from the aerosol can. At one point he came up to the windows (near the back row of computers) and attempted to 'enter' the building by pushing on the glass window as if it were a door."

"The patron initially denied hitting the boy but then stated that he would punch this boy in the face in front of everyone."

"At around 7:40pm I noticed the strong smell of gasoline from the computer area."

"I greeted the man and told him that shaving his head in the restrooms is not allowed."

"The patron requested a tissue and began talking incoherently for about 10 minutes."

Now, guess who is getting pulled out of his delightful little community library where he just got the reference staff running like a finely oiled machine and being forced to serve as interim manager of New Jack City Public Library until they can hire some rube to take over? Go on, you'll never guess.

I get that Librarians don't sign up for that shit, but this is like, a mild day for my current ER.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    MLS cup is today and I have to work.

TheStig wrote: »

I get that Librarians don't sign up for that shit, but this is like, a mild day for my current ER.

No doubt! I'm just salty because I accidentally landed a really cushy location. The incident log at my library for the last three years is mostly stuff like "The children were instructed to hitch their horses around the side of the building so as not to block the entrance" and "The circ clerks politely declined, informing the patron that we had not yet finished the previous loaf of banana bread."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    After employer fired me in a bad way been in contact with them to resolve this, they've offered me a settlement of 4 weeks pay. I'm less than impressed considering payouts for these cases are around 10x the amount they offered if not more. So whee, unless they can get a better offer onto the table it's gonna get dragged through the mediation and the courts.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    MechMantis wrote: »
    the beginning of snowpocolypse is upon us here in NY

doesn't look too bad right now though

Yeah up in Niagara County we got a dusting that's already melted.

Down in SE Erie where I grew up though, looks like they're getting a decent amount.

got about an inch or so here.. but it keeps stopping and starting

hm

Snow-meggdon has utterly failed to deliver. We got maybe an inch since last night.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

No doubt! I'm just salty because I accidentally landed a really cushy location. The incident log at my library for the last three years is mostly stuff like "The children were instructed to hitch their horses around the side of the building so as not to block the entrance" and "The circ clerks politely declined, informing the patron that we had not yet finished the previous loaf of banana bread."

At the same time, if the pattern holds your next appointment will be in Hawaii.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Trying to skateboard when I hadn't in years was how I made my good knee my bad knee

Hoverboard?

Enc wrote: »

At the same time, if the pattern holds your next appointment will be in Hawaii.

That's a good point. If the Employment Gods can grant you a bottomless supply of Sharpie pens after your trials and tribulations, surely this posting will bend my arc towards a beach somewhere.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Remember, the GOP is the party of local control, just so long as they're the party with it.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    -10 degrees Celsius outside Boston this morning. Aren't you glad you're not here right now, @tynic?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    -10 degrees Celsius outside Boston this morning. Aren't you glad you're not here right now, @tynic?

31C here on Monday, and pre-Christmas is traditionally much cooler than January.
    I'll be thinking of you all while lying on the beach with a cold thermos of cocktails, wearing extremely little.

There was a dusting of snow on the roads this morning so of course while driving to my grad class I saw a car completely spun out and facing backwards in the center of the busiest street in the city.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Remember, the GOP is the party of local control, just so long as they're the party with it.

Also the party of good family values forbids you from accessing paid family leave.

Javen wrote: »

Also the party of good family values forbids you from accessing paid family leave.

The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Well that's just because paid leave is communism, you damn dirty pinko!

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Well that's just because paid leave is communism, you damn dirty pinko!

Don't forget the evangelical values of hard work. Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.